CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2022

Nothing like waiting until the last minute to get my monthly battle in. I had something else planned, but I didn’t have the time to do it (it had multiple steps that required drying time in between), so this was tonight’s effort (instead of the stack of papers I should be grading…).

Prompt: October Battle- Creepy Cute
Team: Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Bert the Ghost…
Project Link: Bert the Ghost
Brief Description: This pattern is Glowbert the Ghost (from Theresa’s Crochet Shop). But, the glow yarn I ended up buying was a bit difficult to work with after a long day at work. So I switched to regular white RHSS yarn. So, because he doesn’t glow, he’s simply Bert. Ghosts can be a bit creepy (if you think about them wandering among us, watching what we’re doing), but this one is pretty cute!

Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: October Battle - Creepy Cute
Team: So Corn-fused
Project Name: Cemetery Cake
Project Link: coming soon (with the other cake, too)
Brief Description: I made this, and another cake (coming soon) as part of our Halloween party at work. The mice are melted wafers in a mold I bought, the cookies I made and made royal icing to decorate. The cake is a box mix red velvet with buttercream frosting that I made coated in crushed oreos.

Project Photo:

7 Likes

Prompt: October Battle: Creepy Cute
Project Name: Monster krispy bars
Project Link:
Brief Description: These look a little unsettlingly like ground beef, but they are actually Rice Krispy treats with crushed freeze-dried fruits mixed in, then dipped in dark chocolate and decorated with cute candy eyes. I made these for my haunted house themed murder mystery party!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Spoopy
Project Name: Arezu costume
Project Link:
Brief Description: I threw together a costume of Arezu from Pokémon Legends: Arceus for my office Halloween party. For the top, I cut and hemmed slits up the sides and laced them with red shoelaces (in retrospect I should have used a brighter red that stood out more) and painted the logo and stripes on with fabric paint, but I realized later that I accidentally painted down the outside of one arm and the inside of the other. Still, it was a fun constume!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: 12 weeks of winter: This is Halloween
Project Name: Pumpkin head patch window :smiley:
Project Link: Topic
Brief Description: I love the movie, and I love the song, couldn’t be a better fit! Here is my jack pumpkin king patch window decoration
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October battle: Creepy cute
Project Name: Ghostly earrings
Project Link: Topic
Brief Description: Ghosts can be creepy, but these are mostly cute XD Also made for the Craft this in your style challenge :heart: :ghost:
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Even if Halloween isn’t a huge thing here I love it so much! Just look at all the projects so far :heart:

@LovelyMiss Great work with the copic, personally I love the ship and the bug

@storerboughtcreation He looks so happy! Lovely bow

@Tanath I wish I had more time to do noms, but looking at yours is good enough, love the mummies XD

@craftADDchick creepy cute indeed :smiley: just look at the EYEBROWS :heart:

@Smeddley omg now I know how to make stuff that ISN’T fondant, it looks amazing, great job on the whole cake, hope the people at work love it

@roler I’ve only tried rice krispy treats once, loved them, but never imagined dried fruit could be added! Lovely monsters, I’m sure they are delicious. And the COSTUME!!! OH MY how fun, throwing together something can be the most fun costume ever :smiley: Great job

4 Likes

Prompt: October: Eye of Newt
Project Name: Snail Amigurumi
Project Link: Snail amigurumi
Brief Description: this little ami has eyes, and might be friends with a newt!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Time to catch up on comments! I haven’t been online as much, but I have been trying to be some kind of crafty to keep my sanity - I am also trying to finish my dissertation so I mostly just want to fall into a hole in the ground and stay there, and never have to think, read, or cite a source ever again. :upside_down_face:

@gozer - I think your wallet looks awesome! Love the fabric, and the wonkiness you speak of is invisible to my eye. The notebook and little coffins are adorable, and I love those casserole carriers. I have had those on my list to make for years! Your cookies look amazing! What a fun class! Those pretzel guys are too much! I love them so hard.

@megwell - Your little plaid ghostie is so cute! Cute big-sister gift tags, too!

@imera - Those look like tasty little apple coffins! :smiley: And the stew sounds like a perfect warm and cozy meal. Love the way you revamped that hat into a neck warmer. Great idea! And those stud and ghost earrings! Sooo cute!!! Excellent festive window display, too!

@storerboughtcreation - That tie is so fun, and Mr. SBC is looking dapper as ever! Squee on the froggie! What a cute idea! Another jaw-dropping moment on those scarves! I never cease to be in awe of you.

@Bunny1kenobi - Super cute towel and ghost! Those earrings and t-shirt are so great, and that tea bag bookmark! Love that idea! The bat and eye pin are both impeccable! So cool! What fun ways to get festive! Your ATCs are always top-notch! Gorgeous bracelet, too! And, holy moly! That death carousel is STUNNING!

@Tanath - Cute food is one of my favorite things, and those mummy dogs and ghosty rice balls are making me squee with delight!

@craftADDchick - That may just be the cutest little ghost ami I’ve ever seen! The eyebrows give so much personality.

@Smeddley - That cake! Oh my gosh, the mice are such a terrible (affectionate) addition. :sweat_smile: And it truly sounds delicious! I look forward to seeing the other one!

@roler - Ya’ll are getting me with this cute food! The monster krispy bars are so cute - they somehow all have their own personalities and I love them each individually. Excellent costume, too! I hope you had a great time and got lots of compliments at your party! And that snail! Chef’s kiss! :grin:

1 Like

Prompt: November - Eraser
Project Name: Christmas bow #1
Project Link: Reusable crocheted gift bows
Brief Description: I found a pattern to make crocheted gift bows. It’s not a bad pattern, but it leaves a lot of room for error. I didn’t like how my bow came out, though the bow in the pattern is gorgeous. I decided to make my own pattern that was a lot less fiddly. You’ll see those below.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Battle - Crossword Puzzles
Project Name: Christmas bow #2
Brief Description: This was my first attempt at making my own pattern. I didn’t quite like how it turned out, so I made a few tweaks to it. You’ll see those a little further down. I made this one without the twists, so it’s a little more like a grid… a crossword grid if you will :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Zombie
Project Name: Christmas bow #3
Brief Description: This my still my first attempt at the pattern, but second bow, this time with the twists. I liked this one a little more, but still did some tweaking to the pattern. This tangled mess looks a little bit like bloody brains, which zombies eat.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Hungry Like the Wolf
Project Name: Christmas bow #4
Brief Description: I finally got it to look the way I wanted it to! I have the pattern written up, or at least most of it. I need to finish, make sure it’s correct, and then I’ll share it for free! Rectangles are geometric.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Columns and Rows
Project Name: Christmas bow #5
Brief Description: And here is the same bow with the twist. Both versions will be shared in the pattern. The arms to each piece created a + sign before being twisted and sewn together.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

@storerboughtcreation - Such a fun idea!!! I made bows out of old magazines before, but I like the re-usability of these! I look forward to your pattern!

3 Likes

Trying to be better about commenting starting from here (the idea of catching up is so intimidating that I’ll never start, so please don’t take it as a snub if I haven’t said anything about your October project :heart:).

@roler, that snail is as cute as its friends!
@storerboughtcreation, love the idea of crocheted bows. Way to stick with perfecting a pattern!

Prompt: Tongue of Dog (October)
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Chocolate PB Chocolate Chip Cookies
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: These are edible and brown.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Hungry Like the Wolf (Advent)
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Farfale with Tomato “Sauce”
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I was hungry, so I threw this together for dinner. The sauce wasn’t very saucy (and/or my pasta-to-sauce ratio was off, because pasta), but it was tasty.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Those cookies and that pasta look tasty :drooling_face:

Thanks for the kind comments about the bows, everyone! I ended up submitting it to a group in in to be tested, and it will be released soon. It will be a free download, and as soon as it is posted I’ll create its own post here on LC. In the meantime, if anyone wants the pattern, message me and I’ll send it to you.

4 Likes

Okay, since I am still in 100% procrastination mode, I decided to finally read through the posts and comment. I think I matched each comment to each person, but forgive me if I have a mix-up (I’m still recovering from a rather crazy week). But, all of your food posts have made me hungry, so I might have to eat dinner before I actually buckle down and get some school work finished!

@gozer- I love all of the pockets and compartments in that wallet. I’ll bet it’s very functional, even if it’s a bit wonky :slight_smile: And, that ghost notebook is adorable! I tend to lean towards the cute side of Halloween, instead of the creepy, so it’s right up my alley. Those casserole carriers are a great gift idea (especially when combined with an etched casserole dish…hmmmm…now you’ve got me thinking…) Your little painted coffins are amazing- your painting skills are fantastic- love the dimension byou addeed to the skeleton with the shading. And, your cookie decorating skills are pretty darn good for a first time, so it looks like your painting skills came in handy. I’ve been wanting to try decorating cookies like these, but it looks so intimidating- any tips you can share? Your ghost pretzels are so fun! I don’t think I have the patience to dip all of those pretzels, however. I didn’t realize you could buy candy eyeballs like that, but I’m sure it made things much easier!

@megwell- Your little bookish ghost is just adorable- the plaid pattern is a nice touch, too! I like your gift tags- did you use cardboard for them? I always appreciate a good upcycling project! Are those chocolate peanut butter cookies the no bake drop cookies? We used to make them as a kid, and it is accurate to say that I can actually taste that photo! And, that pasta looks delicious- sometimes it’s nice to have pasta that isn’t drowning in a sauce!

@imera- Really like your little coffin hand pies- I wish I was better at making pie crust because making them in fun shapes is such a great idea! And, that lamb stew looks so hearty and delcious. Tis the season for stews, so I may have ot give it a try- I’ve never cooked a dish with lamb before. I like how you made good use of an old hat to create something that still worked to keep your step son warm. Your monster stud earrings gave me a chuckle- you used my favorite monster (Frankenstein) and the one that I think is the scariest (Dracula… vampires terrify me!). I could never paint something that tiny with those details, so I’m impressed! I like your Halloween window decorations- I thought you had painted them, at first, but when I popped over to your post to see the kind of paint you used, I was happy to see that they were paper, since that’s much more in my skill set :slight_smile: And, your ghost earrings are adorable. Somewhere, I might still have glow-in-the-dark polymer clay, so I might have to make some ghost jewelry for next year!

@storerboughtcreation- That bat bowtie is so clever! I’d totally wear that to school one day. It would also be super cute with a little face on it (but I’m guessing Mr. SBC wouldn’t go for that :slight_smile: ). Your lolly frog is also very cute (I’m partial to all frog crafts, of course). I like the addition of the little pink spots on the cheeks! And, oh my goodness! Your mosaic scarves are gorgeous! I’m partial to the floral reflection pattern, but they’re both stunners. I really like the color of the blue scarf, and it’s a shame that it wasn’t working out for you, but it was smart of you to stop, frog, and save the yarn for another project. I like the green scarf- the stitch pattern is really neat looking, and green is my favorite color. How long does it take you to stitch up a scarf, usually? What a clever idea to crochet a gift bow, but I think I’m too impatient for that. Although, I’m considering decorating my Christmas tree (if I ever actually put one up) with crocheted ornaments, and these could be a fun addition!

@bunny1kenobi- Your skelly hands towel is so well done- you always get such nice crisp images, and I love the graphic. And, another cute little ghost! I like that you made yours into a little hanging ornament. Your googly eye earrings are super fun- google eyes just make everything fun, don’t they? I like your tea bag style bookmark- I’m not a big fan of bulky bookmarks, so I like how the bulky parts can extend beyond the edges of the book. And, I like watching your family ATC collection grow! I really like your skeleheart tee- another cool image, too! Your colorful charm bracelet is so fun- those mottled beads are gorgeous, and I’m impressed with your wire wrapping on the bead charms (it’s a skill I have yet to master). Your bat cross stitch is creepy, but the flowers cut down the creep factor, and I would absolutely hang this up as part of my Halloween decor. I like how that bat is done with the negative space- nicely done! Your lashes pin is fantastic- I can imagine how long it took to get the cord wrapped neatly. Your patience is admirable! And, in spite of the creep factor, I really like your death carousel. It’s perfectly spooky!

@LovelyMiss- Your copic skills are great! I love the tree, the moth, and the ship the most, but they’re all fantastic. This is another thing that I find intimidating so I really should just bust out my set of alcohol markers and start playing around with them. Do you have any recommended tutorials?

@Tanath- What fun Halloween foods! How long did it take to wrap thos hot dogs? And the rice & avocado balls sound yummy!

@Smeddley- Your cemetary cake is super creepy with those mice crawling all over it! It would freak me out to see it, at first, until I realized the mice were fake :smiley:

@roler- I didn’t think your Rice Krispy treats looked like ground beef until I read your post, and now I can’t unsee it! But, I bety they’re still delicious. Great job on your Pokémon costume- I’ll bet your office party was so fun! Your amigurumi snail is so fun! It doesn’t look very little, though- how big is it? And, your crochet skills have gotten so good, so fast! I’m impressed!

4 Likes

Some of these are a bit of a stretch, but I’ve explained my crazy thought process. This is one of my favorite things about the Games. I love seeing how far some of the prompts can be stretched and still be made to work. :hearts:

Prompt: October - Wool of Bat
Project Name: Green bow
Brief Description: I’m stretching this one a little… holly leaves are green, and so is this bow! So there! :rofl:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: advent - Undone
Project Name: another green bow
Brief Description: Weezer had a green album, and this bow is green!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: advent - This is Halloween
Project Name: Red Bow
Brief Description: I didn’t know there were words to this song. I know the tune from Kingdom Hearts, but I haven’t watched this movie all the way through. I tried, but too many bugs. But I watched a youtube video of the song, and there’s a monster with red eyes that is sung about… so there’s my stretch :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Groups of Nine
Project Name: Red Bow
Brief Description: This is the ninth bow I made, so I think it fits. :laughing:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

They were just some kraft tags from my stash that I jazzed up with Posca and gel pen.

The cookies are a riff on my usual oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I haven’t had no-bakes in ages, so you may see some show up in my prompts yet :laughing:.

2 Likes

I never think to make tags, but I have all of the supplies, so I really should, at some point. And, I’ll keep my eyes open for the no-bakes! Now, I’m wondering if I have the recipe from my childhood. I’ll have to look :slight_smile:

1 Like

Prompt: November Battle - Sudoku
Project Name: Squishy Penguin Ami
Project Link: Squishy Penguin Ami
Brief Description: Wonky li’l penguin. I personally much prefer crosswords, but I chose Sudoku for this project because it definitely involves more numbers than words: counting stitches for the shape and the belly jacquard, etc.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Worst thing about getting the flu is that I missed one advent challenge D: But now I wonder, is there a deadline to the challenge? I don’t remember seeing it being mentioned

But now I’m back and there are even MORE BOWS!!! They are adorable, love the one on the headband, so many uses! Great work @storerboughtcreation

And those dishes sound yummy @megwell

@roler that penguin is just adorable!! Great work! Personally I prefer sudoku because it’s logical thinking, which I do better than remembering all the different meanings to words XD But I do find the joy of crosswords the times I pick one that’s not advanced :stuck_out_tongue: Great job with the stuffie, LOVE the adorable bow tie

4 Likes

There are no deadlines on any prompts (well, aside from the final day of the season :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) EXCEPT for the monthly battles. You can’t craft for the October battle anymore, but you can craft the November battle still.

1 Like

The battles I do know about the deadline, but for some reason I imagined there was week long challenges, the advent one XDwell, then I’m not late,that’s good <3

3 Likes

@storerboughtcreation Audrey looks ADORABLE! The bow is cute, too!

@roler the little Penguin looks super soft. So cute!!

2 Likes