CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2022

Prompt: Advent - Monster Mash
Team: Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: 10 point snowflake
Project Link: Six and ten point snowflakes ❄️
Brief Description: This is made with thicker yarn than the pattern calls for, plus it has more sides than a snowflake should have.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Three Little Birds
Project Name: six point snowflake
Brief Description: The birds are headed south for the winter to avoid the snow.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: November Battle - Crossword Puzzles
Project Name: Charcoal Deodorizers
Project Link: Candles, Soap, Room Spray, Cord Keepers, Charcoal Deodorizers
Brief Description: 'Tis the season of feverishly making things as gifts. I have a bunch of stuff to post, but am short on time, so I’m just dropping in to submit the Battle for November! Crosswords because the tags have words on them, crosswords tend to be black and white squares, the bags are square, charcoal is black, and there are a couple white bag sets. Is that enough? :joy:

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: November battle: Words
Team: So Corn-fused
Project Name: Positive affirmation canvas
Project Link: Link will come shortly
Brief Description: Posting this before it’s too late. I made this for the positive affirmation swap for the lovely AIMR. It has words, positive words :heart: I made the canvas as well. It was hard for me to paint the background because I’m not good with letting go of the painting, but I thought i did a good enough job at it :smiley:
Project Photo(s):

i

6 Likes

Prompt: November Battle - Sudoku
Project Name: Decorated Cookies
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description 3 types of cookies… Sudoku are 3x3 boxes! Leftover from the Halloween graveyard cake, I decorated these extra cookies for a get- together we had (it’s still pumpkin season until Thanksgiving!)
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Groups of 9 (November)
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Bright Idea 4x6
Project Link: Bright Idea 4x6
Brief Description: It has at least 9 colors/patterns/parts. (I can’t remember what exactly I counted here, but you can get to 9 somewhere.)
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Strap in for a huge project dump!

Prompt: November - Groups of 9
Project Name: Pizza
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made a pizza that had nine components: Mushrooms, garlic, spinach, pepperoni, tomatoes, olive oil, cheese, crust, sauce.

Project Photo(s):

pizza

Prompt: November - Homonyms
Project Name: I Spy Bag
Project Link:
Brief Description: I had a little holiday meeting and made a bunch of items for my “gift buffet.” I made four I Spy bags - the folks with kids were really excited about them.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Columns and Rows
Project Link:
Brief Description: Another one.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Eraser
Project Link:
Brief Description: This one has pink, and I also did actually mess these up a few times. And I took the fabric squares I had cut for something else that I abandoned and used them for these instead.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - The Final Square
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve had the stuff to make these for at least three years. They’ve been on my list and taking up space (and have been pinned for years) but finally got them done!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December Battle - Fruitcake
Project Name: Pumpkin pies
Project Link:
Brief Description: We made pies. A pie is kind of like a cake, right? And pumpkins are technically/botanically a fruit!

Project Photo(s):

pumpkin  pies

Prompt: December - Figs
Project Name: Hat
Project Link:
Brief Description: This hat is purple and has a round pom on top.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - Pudding
Project Link:
Brief Description: This one has brown and I would consider the texture of knitted yarn kind of spongy.

Project Photo(s):

hat1

Prompt: December - Candied Fruit
Project Link:
Brief Description: Another hat with jewel tones.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - Rum
Project Link:
Brief Description: Umm… acrylic yarn is definitely flammable, but maybe you don’t want to do that, though.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - Bread
Project Link:
Brief Description: Warm and cozy means homey to me, and this hat is warm and cozy.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent Week 1 - Superstition
Project Name: Halloween cat copic drawing
Project Link: Copic Drawings 2
Brief Description: I drew this cheeky little vintage kitty around Halloween time. I’m meh on how it turned out.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent Week 2 - Hungry Like the Wolf
Project Name: Mushroom copic drawing
Brief Description: I suppose this has some patterns, and one might eat mushrooms when one is hungry.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent Week 3 - Zombie
Project Name: Crochet bow
Project Link:
Brief Description: I frogged a project and had a small amount of yarn left. I used it to make @storerboughtcreation 's amazing crochet bow pattern!

Project Photo(s):

crochet bow

Prompt: Advent Week 4 - Monster Mash
Project Name: The Rocketeer copic drawing
Brief Description: I usually do drawings on 6x8 inch paper. This paper is 8.5x11 inch paper. Pretty big for me!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent Week 5 - This is Halloween
Project Name: Gift tags
Project Link: Three Sets of Winter Gift Tags
Brief Description: I made a few sets of holiday tags. Black is a common color in The Nightmare Before Christmas and I used black ink for the main stamps.

Project Photo(s):

stamp tags 1

Prompt: Advent Week 6 - Undone
Brief Description: I used several different Distress inks on the backgrounds for these, and sprayed them with water for an oxidizing effect.

Project Photo(s):

stamp tags 2

Prompt: Advent Week 7 - Three Little Birds
Brief Description: I made another set that was a little different. I used texture paste for the background snow, and used paint and line pens to draw the wreaths. It snows in some locations, and birds roost in trees - wreaths are usually made from conifer trees.

Project Photo(s):

wreath tags

Prompt: Advent Week 8 - Help!
Project Name: Lasagna
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made lasagna one night for dinner!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent Week 9 - Time of the Season
Project Name: Big Bow
Project Link:
Brief Description: I used a cool sweatery fabric ribbon to make a big holiday bow for decoration.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Candles
Brief Description: I made a bunch of candles for the gift buffet, too. Lots of different scents this year. I just showed one of each scent, but I made 24 in total.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Soap
Brief Description: I made soap, too! Two different kinds. I made 18 bars in total.

Project Photo(s):

soap1

soap2

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Clifford puppy copic drawing
Brief Description: I love baby Clifford and thought this image was so cute, I did a drawing of it.

Project Photo(s):

clifford

Project Name: Fox copic drawing
Brief Description: Another copic drawing.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Room spray
Brief Description: I made six bottles of essential oil room spray for the gift buffet.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Cord keepers
Brief Description: And, finally, I made several sets of cord keepers out of leather and faux leather for my gift buffet.

Project Photo(s):

Whew! Thanks for scrolling through all of that! I hope everyone is having a fun, crafty season!

4 Likes

Prompt: Research Project #1
Team: Don’t Stop Be-leafing
Project Name: Diagon Alley
Project Link: Diagon Alley
Brief Description: I made this for my DD for Christmas. Between figuring out how to put it together, painting, repainting, adjusting, and shifting on the fly, this took at least 20 hours. And lots and lots of glue. Not counting dry time.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Oh my word! I love the soaps and candles, @LovelyMiss! And the cord keepers! Genius! (I may try my hand at some of those myself!)

Your drawings are awesome, too… My favorite is the Rocketeer.

1 Like

Prompt: December - Battle - Fruitcake
Project Name: Blue gift bow
Project Link: Reusable crocheted gift bows
Brief Description: These colors are soft jewel tones, and the candies in fruitcake look like little jewels. I don’t eat either of these holiday desserts.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Tongue of Dog
Project Name: Pink gift bow
Brief Description: A pretty pink bow that has since been claimed by Grumpy Frog
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Eye of Newt
Project Name: mustard gift bow
Brief Description: I made one in mustard color
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Homonyms
Project Name: Another snowflake
Brief Description: because this is reusable year after year, it has multiple uses. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: December Battle - Figgy Pudding
Project Name: Bell the Gnome
Project Link: Bell the Gnome
Brief Description: I think this little fellow would eat Figgy Pudding, because he’s quite a traditional festive gnome and as his name suggests, seems like he would be musical, too! I’m sure he loves singing about figgy pudding as well as eating it!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December Battle - Figs
Project Name: Gumdrop the Penguin
Project Link: Gumdrop the Penguin
Brief Description: This little penguin is pretty round and has wings!
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

These are adorable!!!

2 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: Festive Polar Bear
Project Link: Festive Polar Bear
Brief Description: This little bear took me all weekend but I love it!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Its awesome!

3 Likes

Okay… I’m committing to the prompts! I’ve done a bit of “how can I get this all done?” shuffling of projects. But, I think I have everything locked in :laughing:

Prompt: October- Toe of Frog
Project Name: Sloth Sleep Mask
Project Link: Sloth Sleep Mask

Brief Description: Lately, I find that I need to take an afternoon nap. And, since it’s sometimes still daylight when I do, I figured a sleep mask would be just the ticket. However, in true sloth fashion, it took me at least 3 years to get this done. :slight_smile: I used a free mask pattern for the shape of the mask, and I resized a quilt block from Wendi Gratz of Shiny Happy World for the sloth features. I used buttons for the eyes because this was originally for a prompt that required the use of buttons. And, it fits this prompt because the Dread Pirate Roberts (true love of Buttercup) wears a mask. :slight_smile:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November- Homonyms
Project Name: Flower Pencils
Project Link: Flower Pencils

Brief Description: Since my students borrow pencils and never return them, I figured I’d give this a try. And, when I tell kids to “borrow a flower,” they are confused until the walk up to the flower pot and “pick” a flower :slight_smile: Until then, they thought I just had a flower arrangement on my desk :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December- Pudding
Project Name: Santa Gnome
Project Link: Santa Gnome

Brief Description: Last year, a friend and I took a class at a local pottery studio and made sets of pottery trees. This year, we each made a Santa gnome! It stands about 12" tall. We were hoping to each make a smaller one, as well, but we ran out of time. During the class, I made the form, and after the class was over, they were fired and then the instructor added the glazes (and fired them again).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November- Eraser
Project Name: Microwave Mug Cozy
Project Link: Microwave Mug Cozy

Brief Description: This is made in the same way as a microwave bowl cozy, but I mis-marked the darts, so I had to tear out one whole set, re-mark them all, and then re-stitch it! But, it’s the perfect size for my mugs (the mug pictured is a larger-than-standard-sized mug).

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

How kind of you to make a sloth sleep mask for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I LOVE it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

LOL! I did think of you when I was making it. Give me another 3 years, and I could make another one! :laughing:

2 Likes

Out of all of the things I had on tonight’s to-do list, this was the only thing I got done…

Prompt: October- Tongue of Dog
Project Name: Sea Salt Caramel Dark Chocolate Brownies
Project Link: n/a

Brief Description: Instead of exchanging gifts among the teachers on my team, we opted for a pot luck lunch, which is tomorrow (although we only have 20 minutes to eat it). I volunteered to make brownies! I’ve meant to make these for the last 2 or 3 events (2 baby showers and a cookout), but they never materialized (I bought grocery store bakery made brownies, instead). I wasn’t sure when the caramel should be applied, so I drizzled some on before baking (along with the sea salt), and then drizzled some on after (while still hot), along with just a pinch more salt. Probably should have waited until they cooled. I hope they’re not too salty… :laughing:

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

When scrolling doen i saw this and thought it was a shadow box. Took me a second. Lol

5 Likes

@roler, your creatures are adorable and amazing as always. I’m especially partial to the polar bear (his sweater!) and penguin (that candy cane!)

@craftADDchick, a mug cozy is such a great idea. My hands get cold really easily, so I bet it would be great for cold drinks, too. And those brownies look delicious. Sounds like they would tick a lot of boxes for me.

Now that’s my kind of shadow box!

6 Likes

So how did the brownies taste? They look delicious. You’re lucky we can’t reach through our computer/phone screens and nab those :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :drooling_face:

2 Likes