CLOSED: Nerd Games - Spring 2020

Prompt: April - Lettuce Craft
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Wool Folk Art Brooch
Project Link:

Brief Description: Made for the One Tiny Thing Swap. It’s green!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Excellent entry for the Text prompt! XD My friends have been texting and meme-ing about coffee a LOT lately! The detail on that walrus hoop is amazing! Great contrast with the colors, too. And you know I ADORE that bunting!! Ooh, let us know if that soap-saver helps save more soap in your household! XD I’d never seen a crochet plant holder before, but it’s every bit as cute as macrame! :slight_smile: Your paper chain is so cheerful!! Great way to brighten up a room. Ahahaha, your cursing puffins cracked me up!! Somehow the burns seem extra harsh coming from such an unassuming-looking bird. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I totally agree that this counts. And it’s really beautiful! Thanks for sharing all your masterboards. I’m getting so much inspiration for when I finally start making my own! (After I finish a billion other things I’m working on…) Your vulture ATC is great!! That’s totally something I’d want in my as yet non-existent collection. Did you use an actual label maker for that text? It looks awesome!

Great job with the face mask! I’ve been SO happy to see how many people (including me!) are trying these for the first time, just to help out in this crisis! Also, that shark fabric is totally charming! The penguin design is darling. I look forward to seeing what you print with it!

These are really pretty and also snarky and fun! You’re really a master of that style!

This is soooo cute and charming! I’m sure lots of people are going to bid on it! Thank you!! And YES your granddaughter is totally adorable, and looks like she loves her pretty new headband!

Great job finding a new purpose for those lilies, which are gorgeous just the shape they are! The clutch is really elegant, and I love the butterfly applique! Oh my goodness, your obidome is GORGEOUS! I was just thinking how pretty it’d be with a lot of kimonos I’ve seen… it could take them to a whole new level! Your animated gifs are really cute!! Good job brushing up those animation skills!

Thanks! I was really torn between this one and Bits and Bobs last time, since they both totally apply to me just fine, and since B&B had so many members, I thought it could spare me to give this team a whirl this round! XD Also, where DO you find your fabrics?! I always love the stuff you find, but those two masks are particularly beautiful! I adore your new felt dolls. I’ve never made that style of felt craft, but it looks so cute and fun! I wonder if my flat felt skills are very transferable…

Welcome! You posted perfectly! Great colors on your ATCs, and I love the creativity of the sewn one!

I mean, how could you go wrong with this? You couldn’t, 'cause you’re a master of both the biscornu and the rainy Totoro. XD

Glad to see you posting more lately! :slight_smile: I don’t know the specific character Bartleby, but that’s a darn cute cat. XD And how sweet of you to make sure Sparkles wasn’t lonely!!

Hooray! Welcome! We always love seeing new blood here. Just out of curiosity, how did you find us?

1 Like

Yes, it does! I’ve been using the one that @LadybugsAndBees sent me in a swap awhile ago and I was going through one bar of soap for every 3 or 4 that dh was! You just put the soap in it, and it lathers and works as a bath cloth. Very nice!

2 Likes

Thanks, @roler! I have a label-maker somewhere, but can’t find it. Instead, I downloaded a font (called, appropriately enough, “Dymo”) and was able to print it out in different colors.

2 Likes

Bonus Prompts!!! Check them out at Prompt Palace!

6 Likes

Prompt: April - Instagram
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Hello Kitty Biscornu
Project Link: Hello Kitty Biscornu
Brief Description: I made this for my niece.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

@roler I remembered that I subscribed to the forum Craftster but never been active there and I wanted to get more involved into it. So i have decided to check it few days ago to read that it is closed now and one comment had Lettuce Craft in their banner so I clicked on it and found you.

6 Likes

Prompt: Quarantine – Outside in the Sun
Project Name: Yellow Mushrooms
Project Link: Mushroom Drawing
Brief Description: I made this for the 4x6 art swap. My first swap on LC! My partner had a specific color theme of grays and a pop of yellow. I tried to do that along with her mushroom theme.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

That’s an interesting color scheme, I like what you did with it :mushroom:

2 Likes

Love your mushrooms!!! I was wondering how you did that color scheme!!

Ugh. I was called into the office today, so I dropped by the hospital and dropped off about 7 more masks and forgot to take pictures. Oh well. I’m going to make more later. Besides, the last batch wasn’t fussy cut and that annoyed me.

@megwell – Welcome to the Games!!! And to team Running with Scissors! It looks like you had a lot of fun making ATCs! I loved watching the blitz. It was such a cool idea. My favorite card is the one with the fabric laced through it.

@storerboughtcreation – The biscornus are adorable! I love Totoro’s face front and center. And Hello Kitty! Purr-fect! She is so bright and happy. She’s my favorite and she is a cat.

@QueenHobo – Love the cat. I have a soft spot for black cats and just crafted one myself, but in a different medium. I love the big eyes on this doll. Gives him lots of personality. There is the unicorn we herard about and have been waiting to see! I am glad Sparkles got a friend. What is this ones name? She, or he, is lovely and looks completely huggable.

@roler – Way to go on the masks! I love that the crafting community can, and have been, doing so much to help out! Proud of you lady! I truly love that brooch you made. It is so darling. Absolutely amazing. A++++! I am sure your swap partner was ecstatic.

3 Likes

Prompt: April - Lettuce Craft
Team: Bits and Bobs!
Project Name: Fairy for Spring
Project Link: Spring Fairy
Brief Description: I wanted to make something Spring. I had all the stuff, so I made a wreath.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Welcome to our community, the Nerd Games, and boy is this pretty!

3 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Virginia’s Kanzashi Set
Project Link: Virginia's Kanzashi Set
Brief Description: I made this set of kanzashi for my friend, Virginia, who is getting married later this year.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: Spring Quarantine Bonus Prompt - Outside in the Sun
Team: Bits and bobs
Project Name: Butterfly Obidome - Gold Variant
Brief Description: I’ve been making multiples of some of my newer pieces. I want to form a Worldbuilders team nearer to the end of the year for their big donation initiative, and need lottery prizes for those who donate to my team. Worldbuilders is a nerd oriented charity initiative started by author Patrick Rothfuss, and I’ve always wanted to work with them but didn’t think I’d have the time to produce more than maybe one or two items. Now that I’m stuck inside all the time, I’ve been able to work on a lot more art - so I figure if I make multiples at once it saves crafting time and also givens me extra items for Worldbuilders or maybe craft shows when they open back up again.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Quarantine- freak snowstorm
Team: Running w scissors
Project Name: It’s curtains for you, kiddo!
Project Link: It’s curtains for you, kiddo!
Brief Description: I decided on a whim to (finally) make some curtains for my kid’s room. It was an unexpected crafting moment! Actually, they took MUCH longer to make than I’d thought they would. They are lined, too. Almost good enough to be blackout curtains!
Project Photo(s):

The “before” pic:

4 Likes

Prompt: Quarantine- Funnel cloud
Team: Running w scissors
Project Name: ATC blitz #5
Project Link: My ATC Blitz cards for Blitz#5
Brief Description: I did a theme this time. Apparently I like mermaids. And I assure you all the cards have straight edges and 90 degree angles, but they are watercolor masterboards, and some of them aren’t lying super flat just yet. :wink: The masterboards were messy to make, but so were the ATCs- paper, tape, glue, scissors, markers… EVERYWHERE.
Project Photo(s):

Here are my 6 ATCs from the blitz this weekend, along with the prompt for each one.
1/6 Myths

2/6 Bubbles

3/6 Positive Vibes

4/6 Monochromatic

5/6 Under the Sea

6/6 Houses (with special thanks to @gozer for the lighthouse idea)

6 Likes

@bunny1kenobi - I love that you did all the cards with one theme. Very clever and I love your mermaids. Glad I blurted out lighthouse. Ha! Love all the backgrounds too! I wrote on the thread, but I think the curtains turned out great. I know Toad is thrilled. They complete the room and give it that polished look.

@appledainty - Your Kanzashiset is so feminine and beautiful. The Obidome is very pretty. What does the charity support?

@kwyltaholic - Your wreath is stunning!I love it so much! The little fairie and frog were just the right touches.

1 Like

Ahh, I’m behind on commenting already! But a bustling craftalong is a good problem to have. Great projects all around, and I’ll try to do a better job of keeping up…

Prompt: Spring Quarantine – Crying in the Rain
Project Name: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
Project Link: Lower-Guilt Cake Mix Muffins
Brief Description: I made these this past weekend as part of my ongoing lockdown baking binge. The recipe requires water (or coffee, but that requires water, too).
Project Photo(s):
20200425_165250

Prompt: Spring Quarantine – Outside in the Sun
Project Name: The Seaweed Is Always Greener
Project Link: Under the (AT)Sea
Brief Description: I made this ATC as part of the Weekend Blitz #5. The seaweed is a natural element.
Project Photo(s):
20200425_154208

Prompt: Facebook (April)
Project Name: Life Is the Bubbles
Project Link: Under the (AT)Sea
Brief Description: This ATC has dark blue. It was also for the Weekend Blitz #5. (I was doing an “Under the Sea” theme but didn’t get to all six cards.)
Project Photo(s):
20200425_154216

4 Likes

Prompt: Quarantine – Crying in the rain
Project Name: Masks
Project Link: Bunch of Masks
Brief Description: What else but masks! I am trying to make some for when we return to work. They haven’t told us when, but I think it will be mid next month. My work already said that they are thinking of having us wear masks indoors once we do return.
Project Photo(s):

!

Prompt: Quarantine – Dreary Foggy Day
Project Name: Masks
Project Link: Bunch of Masks
Brief Description: Masks again. I had some guys ask me for masks. They all wanted gray ones. How boring! Lol!
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes