CLOSED: Nerd Games - Spring 2020

That’s an interesting color scheme, I like what you did with it :mushroom:

2 Likes

Love your mushrooms!!! I was wondering how you did that color scheme!!

Ugh. I was called into the office today, so I dropped by the hospital and dropped off about 7 more masks and forgot to take pictures. Oh well. I’m going to make more later. Besides, the last batch wasn’t fussy cut and that annoyed me.

@megwell – Welcome to the Games!!! And to team Running with Scissors! It looks like you had a lot of fun making ATCs! I loved watching the blitz. It was such a cool idea. My favorite card is the one with the fabric laced through it.

@storerboughtcreation – The biscornus are adorable! I love Totoro’s face front and center. And Hello Kitty! Purr-fect! She is so bright and happy. She’s my favorite and she is a cat.

@QueenHobo – Love the cat. I have a soft spot for black cats and just crafted one myself, but in a different medium. I love the big eyes on this doll. Gives him lots of personality. There is the unicorn we herard about and have been waiting to see! I am glad Sparkles got a friend. What is this ones name? She, or he, is lovely and looks completely huggable.

@roler – Way to go on the masks! I love that the crafting community can, and have been, doing so much to help out! Proud of you lady! I truly love that brooch you made. It is so darling. Absolutely amazing. A++++! I am sure your swap partner was ecstatic.

3 Likes

Prompt: April - Lettuce Craft
Team: Bits and Bobs!
Project Name: Fairy for Spring
Project Link: Spring Fairy
Brief Description: I wanted to make something Spring. I had all the stuff, so I made a wreath.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Welcome to our community, the Nerd Games, and boy is this pretty!

3 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Virginia’s Kanzashi Set
Project Link: Virginia's Kanzashi Set
Brief Description: I made this set of kanzashi for my friend, Virginia, who is getting married later this year.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: Spring Quarantine Bonus Prompt - Outside in the Sun
Team: Bits and bobs
Project Name: Butterfly Obidome - Gold Variant
Brief Description: I’ve been making multiples of some of my newer pieces. I want to form a Worldbuilders team nearer to the end of the year for their big donation initiative, and need lottery prizes for those who donate to my team. Worldbuilders is a nerd oriented charity initiative started by author Patrick Rothfuss, and I’ve always wanted to work with them but didn’t think I’d have the time to produce more than maybe one or two items. Now that I’m stuck inside all the time, I’ve been able to work on a lot more art - so I figure if I make multiples at once it saves crafting time and also givens me extra items for Worldbuilders or maybe craft shows when they open back up again.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Quarantine- freak snowstorm
Team: Running w scissors
Project Name: It’s curtains for you, kiddo!
Project Link: It’s curtains for you, kiddo!
Brief Description: I decided on a whim to (finally) make some curtains for my kid’s room. It was an unexpected crafting moment! Actually, they took MUCH longer to make than I’d thought they would. They are lined, too. Almost good enough to be blackout curtains!
Project Photo(s):

The “before” pic:

4 Likes

Prompt: Quarantine- Funnel cloud
Project Name: ATC blitz #5
Project Link: My ATC Blitz cards for Blitz#5
Brief Description: I did a theme this time. Apparently I like mermaids. And I assure you all the cards have straight edges and 90 degree angles, but they are watercolor masterboards, and some of them aren’t lying super flat just yet. :wink: The masterboards were messy to make, but so were the ATCs- paper, tape, glue, scissors, markers… EVERYWHERE.
Project Photo(s):

Here are my 6 ATCs from the blitz this weekend, along with the prompt for each one.
1/6 Myths

2/6 Bubbles

3/6 Positive Vibes

4/6 Monochromatic

5/6 Under the Sea

6/6 Houses (with special thanks to @gozer for the lighthouse idea)

6 Likes

@bunny1kenobi - I love that you did all the cards with one theme. Very clever and I love your mermaids. Glad I blurted out lighthouse. Ha! Love all the backgrounds too! I wrote on the thread, but I think the curtains turned out great. I know Toad is thrilled. They complete the room and give it that polished look.

@appledainty - Your Kanzashiset is so feminine and beautiful. The Obidome is very pretty. What does the charity support?

@kwyltaholic - Your wreath is stunning!I love it so much! The little fairie and frog were just the right touches.

1 Like

Ahh, I’m behind on commenting already! But a bustling craftalong is a good problem to have. Great projects all around, and I’ll try to do a better job of keeping up…

Prompt: Spring Quarantine – Crying in the Rain
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
Project Link: Lower-Guilt Cake Mix Muffins
Brief Description: I made these this past weekend as part of my ongoing lockdown baking binge. The recipe requires water (or coffee, but that requires water, too).
Project Photo(s):
20200425_165250

Prompt: Spring Quarantine – Outside in the Sun
Project Name: The Seaweed Is Always Greener
Project Link: Under the (AT)Sea
Brief Description: I made this ATC as part of the Weekend Blitz #5. The seaweed is a natural element.
Project Photo(s):
20200425_154208

Prompt: Facebook (April)
Project Name: Life Is the Bubbles
Project Link: Under the (AT)Sea
Brief Description: This ATC has dark blue. It was also for the Weekend Blitz #5. (I was doing an “Under the Sea” theme but didn’t get to all six cards.)
Project Photo(s):
20200425_154216

4 Likes

Prompt: Quarantine – Crying in the rain
Project Name: Masks
Project Link: Bunch of Masks
Brief Description: What else but masks! I am trying to make some for when we return to work. They haven’t told us when, but I think it will be mid next month. My work already said that they are thinking of having us wear masks indoors once we do return.
Project Photo(s):

!

Prompt: Quarantine – Dreary Foggy Day
Project Name: Masks
Project Link: Bunch of Masks
Brief Description: Masks again. I had some guys ask me for masks. They all wanted gray ones. How boring! Lol!
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

WorldBuilders supports Heifer International! But right now they are doing a fundraiser to help provide PPE for COVID-19 hot spots in the United States.

1 Like

@QueenHobo

BARTLEBY!!! We are HUGE True fans here, especially Bartleby. I may love Bartleby more than my DD. AWESOME job!!!

2 Likes

Prompt: Quarantine / In a Freak Snowstorm?
Team: Team Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Black Rat
Project Link: My first cross stitch : a black rat
Brief Description: I have two rats and my first cross stitch it to make a treat box for them using this black rat corss stitch.
For the prompt: In a Freak Snowstorm? // Few days ago while looking at the window in my small town I saw for the first time a wild rat, it was hanging around in our drive way.

Project Photo(s): cross stitch point de croix rat

6 Likes

Prompt: Spring Bonus - Verily, is that a Funnel Cloud?
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Happy bday SBC!
Brief Description: It’s my big sisters birthday everyone! She’s OLD :rofl:
I made her this chocolate coffee cardamom cake, the buttercream frosting, AND the ganache all from scratch. My kitchen is a mess :sweat_smile: but it was sooooooo worth it. Here are a few pictures of it, SBC being a dork, and Grumpy Frog enjoying it.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

@gozer You have the most fun fabric! Except for the boring gray stuff. Lol!

@QueenHobo that cake looks soooo goooood!!! (Happy bday @storerboughtcreation!!)

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Wrapped charging cord
Project Link: Wrapped charging cord
Brief Description: My favorite charging cord had some exposed wires so I decided to fix it with some electrical tape but it didn’t look very nice. So I decided to wrap the entire cord. It’s a really long charging cord, which is one of the reasons I really like it, which means it took a really long time. I estimate 12-14 hours. I did it while watching movies and so on. I actually started it before quarantine! :hushed:
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Prompt: April Challenge Prompt - Lettuce Craft
Project Name: Dragonfly Brooch
Brief Description: I made this dragonfly brooch at my mother-in-law’s request. She wanted one for a gift for someone else, so I was happy to make it. It’s made the same way as my previous butterfly brooches. :3 It has wings made from ‘spring green’ iridescent film, and includes some floral vintage fabric I inherited from my grandmother.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: April Battle - Phone Call
Project Name: Hair thingies (technical term)
Brief Description: (not so brief, got carried away)
In trying to come up with an idea for this battle I tried to think a bit outside the box. I would have selected text, as I usually feel more comfortable texting (unless it’s someone really close), but didn’t have any project that wanted text. Then I remembered I wanted to try the tentacles I’ve seen on some crochet sea creatures. They look like the phone chords we used to have, back when we rode dinosaurs to school. So I found some instructions online and started making some, with no idea what to do. I put them next to my head to show my daughter and she said they would look cute attached to pony tails. So here we are. I didn’t get a picture of them in her hair (which is currently nicer than mine) because of a schoolwork situation. Might add one later.
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Prompt: April Battle: Text vs Phone Call - Text
Team: Team Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Textually Active
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: Years ago I worked for an adult texting company and my Skype picture said “Textually Active”. Just this month I was hired by a texting company so I thought this was perfect for the prompt and would be a cute little piece for a hooplah wall. This is cross-stitched. Unsure on aida count and colors used. I made it from scraps I had lying around.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes