CLOSED: Nerd Games - Spring 2020

Prompt: Quarantine – Crying in the rain
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Masks
Project Link: Bunch of Masks
Brief Description: What else but masks! I am trying to make some for when we return to work. They haven’t told us when, but I think it will be mid next month. My work already said that they are thinking of having us wear masks indoors once we do return.
Project Photo(s):

!

Prompt: Quarantine – Dreary Foggy Day
Project Name: Masks
Project Link: Bunch of Masks
Brief Description: Masks again. I had some guys ask me for masks. They all wanted gray ones. How boring! Lol!
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

WorldBuilders supports Heifer International! But right now they are doing a fundraiser to help provide PPE for COVID-19 hot spots in the United States.

1 Like

@QueenHobo

BARTLEBY!!! We are HUGE True fans here, especially Bartleby. I may love Bartleby more than my DD. AWESOME job!!!

2 Likes

Prompt: Quarantine / In a Freak Snowstorm?
Team: Team Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Black Rat
Project Link: My first cross stitch : a black rat
Brief Description: I have two rats and my first cross stitch it to make a treat box for them using this black rat corss stitch.
For the prompt: In a Freak Snowstorm? // Few days ago while looking at the window in my small town I saw for the first time a wild rat, it was hanging around in our drive way.

Project Photo(s): cross stitch point de croix rat

6 Likes

Prompt: Spring Bonus - Verily, is that a Funnel Cloud?
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Happy bday SBC!
Brief Description: It’s my big sisters birthday everyone! She’s OLD :rofl:
I made her this chocolate coffee cardamom cake, the buttercream frosting, AND the ganache all from scratch. My kitchen is a mess :sweat_smile: but it was sooooooo worth it. Here are a few pictures of it, SBC being a dork, and Grumpy Frog enjoying it.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

@gozer You have the most fun fabric! Except for the boring gray stuff. Lol!

@QueenHobo that cake looks soooo goooood!!! (Happy bday @storerboughtcreation!!)

Prompt: Big Time
Team: Running w scissors
Project Name: Wrapped charging cord
Project Link: Wrapped charging cord
Brief Description: My favorite charging cord had some exposed wires so I decided to fix it with some electrical tape but it didn’t look very nice. So I decided to wrap the entire cord. It’s a really long charging cord, which is one of the reasons I really like it, which means it took a really long time. I estimate 12-14 hours. I did it while watching movies and so on. I actually started it before quarantine! :hushed:
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Prompt: April Challenge Prompt - Lettuce Craft
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Dragonfly Brooch
Brief Description: I made this dragonfly brooch at my mother-in-law’s request. She wanted one for a gift for someone else, so I was happy to make it. It’s made the same way as my previous butterfly brooches. :3 It has wings made from ‘spring green’ iridescent film, and includes some floral vintage fabric I inherited from my grandmother.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: April Battle - Phone Call
Project Name: Hair thingies (technical term)
Brief Description: (not so brief, got carried away)
In trying to come up with an idea for this battle I tried to think a bit outside the box. I would have selected text, as I usually feel more comfortable texting (unless it’s someone really close), but didn’t have any project that wanted text. Then I remembered I wanted to try the tentacles I’ve seen on some crochet sea creatures. They look like the phone chords we used to have, back when we rode dinosaurs to school. So I found some instructions online and started making some, with no idea what to do. I put them next to my head to show my daughter and she said they would look cute attached to pony tails. So here we are. I didn’t get a picture of them in her hair (which is currently nicer than mine) because of a schoolwork situation. Might add one later.
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Prompt: April Battle: Text vs Phone Call - Text
Team: Team Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Textually Active
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: Years ago I worked for an adult texting company and my Skype picture said “Textually Active”. Just this month I was hired by a texting company so I thought this was perfect for the prompt and would be a cute little piece for a hooplah wall. This is cross-stitched. Unsure on aida count and colors used. I made it from scraps I had lying around.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

This is a fun little piece!

FYI, if you are unsure of what size your aida cloth is, use a ruler and count how many squares are in one inch. That should give you your count. For instance, 14 squares in one inch would be 14 count aida :slight_smile:

Hello! I’m joining in this season. :slight_smile: It was so hard to pick a team this year!

Prompt: April Battle: Text!
Project Name: Felix Felicis ATC
Brief Description: Felix Felicis (liquid luck) is a potion name from one of my favorite texts! :wink: Potion is very shiny metallic watercolors and the edge is shiny metallic silver.
Project Photos:

Prompt: April - Lettuce Craft
Project Name: Amortentia
Brief Description: Amorentia (love potion) ATC with a green background. :slight_smile: Potion is very shiny metallic watercolors and the edge is shiny metallic silver.
Project Photos:

Prompt: April - Instagram
Project Name: Sleeping Draught
Brief Description: A sleeping draught potion with a purply background. Potion is very shiny metallic watercolors and the edge is shiny metallic silver.
Project Photos:

Prompt: April - Snapchat
Project Name: Moon & Stars
Brief Description: ATC with yellowy gold stars and moon.
Project Photos:

4 Likes

So many projects to comment on, I really need to sit down and go through them. But as usual, I’m running behind and just want to sneak in the Battle prompt before it expires! And I’d say I’m going to do it tomorrow, but let’s be real - it’s the first of the month, and there will be new bugs and fish to catch in ACNH the minute I get home from work… :smiley:

Prompt: April Battle - Call
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Masks!
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: So I actually made a pile of these, but forgot to take pictures before I gave most of them away! But I have the picture I took on Mr. Creepy Frog, which is way cuter than the ones I took of the one I made for me and took a selfie with… and Mr Creepy Frog is a lot less creepy without his teeth showing!
Obviously, masks are directly tied into why I have to call my friends instead of going to see them, and I picked call because you can’t play ACNH while texting very well, but you can while chatting on the phone!
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

@craftADDchick - mmm, that cake looks really yummy! And the floral arrangement is lovely. I love the vulture ATC!! :green_heart:

@geekgirl - those brownies look divine! And that owlbert is too cute! :blush: And such a pretty rainbow bird!

@gozer - your peg people are so cute! I especially love Dracula. :vampire: Great masks and cute dolls! And I adore the mushroom art you made for me! :slight_smile:

@ezrib - I really like that Kumihimo tie back! I love the plague doctor wearing bunny ears!!

@Bunny1kenobi - Aww, that baby Jackalope is so cute! I also love the sunflower material you used for your masks. haha, and the ‘die virus die’! :laughing: Amazing miniature!

@storerboughtcreation - What beautiful biscornus! I can’t imagine how long that would take to embroider.

@GMPNQ - great mask! I love that the mask perfectly matches his shark shirt. :slight_smile: Aww, cute penguin ATC!

@Lynx - great color in a box projects! I really like the plant hanger! :slight_smile: And what a cute puffin!

@roler - Awww, love that you made scarves for your stuffies. :yellow_heart: I love that sheep brooch! :sheep:

@appledainty - Such beautiful pieces! That butterfly on the obidome is stunning! And I love the embroidered clutch too. :slight_smile:

@megwell - cool atcs! I love the bird-day one! :slight_smile: Those muffins look yummy!

@QueenHobo - great amis! The unicorn is super cute!

@kwyltaholic - What a sweet birdie wreath! :slight_smile: :bird:

@Mortuum - Fabulous rat cross stitch! I love the design!

@Tanath - cute hair thingies! :smile:

@BatsAndBrownies - nice cross stitching! :slight_smile:

@Smeddley - Great mask! He looks super safe in it! :wink:

Whew! I am caught up now! I hope I didn’t miss anyone! :blush:

4 Likes

Hi everyone! There is a new tracking update in the Discussion Thread.

3 Likes

One month gone (who stole April?!), so much cool stuff made. Can’t wait to see May’s prompts!
@BatsAndBrownies - that’s a clever text, nicely stitched :slight_smile:
@bluebird - I love the stars and moon, it looks like they are actually shining :star2:
@Smeddley - Mr. Creepy Frog does look a lot less creepy with his mask, and I like the color :frog: You are right that voice calls free up your hands and eyes to do other things. I sometimes have a call with my brother while we are both working on other things.

3 Likes

This is absolutely beautiful. Pillbox hats are so underappreciated. I would love to see a tutorial on how you did that flower!

2 Likes

Thank you! The stars and moon have some metallic watercolor on them so they are shiny and reflective. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Prompt: May - JarJarBinks
Project Name: Cloth Napkins
Project Link: Cloth Napkins
Brief Description: a few cloth napkins
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Pretty napkins— I love the colors you chose!

Prompt: May - Yoda
Project Name: Baby Yoda ATCs
Project Link: May the Fourth - The Child ATCs
Brief Description: What cold be more Yoda than Yoda? Maybe Baby Yoda, or The Child! He’s green, small, and wrinkly. Only time will tell if he is as wise.
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes