CLOSED: Nerd Games - Spring 2020

Prompt: Zap #1
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Big Toe Drawing
Project Link:
Brief Description: Last month there was a one day stay-at-home Gish (a silly international scavenger hunt run by Supernatural’s Misha Collins). One of the items was to draw a close-up of your friend’s big toe or nostril, so here’s my friend’s toe!
Project Photo(s):

Now get ready for a zillion masks!!

Prompt: May Battle - Jedi
Project Name: Masks for Friends
Project Link: Craftalongs Challenge - Lettuce Help Our Communities - CLOSED
Brief Description: In the battle of good vs covid evil, good people are trying their very best to flatten the curve and put a stop to this pandemic! My family and I want to do our part too, so we’ve been making masks for any friends or family who are willing to wear them.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Bonus - Outside in the Sun
Project Name: More Masks for Friends
Project Link: same as above
Brief Description: When you’re out of your house running errands or something, please wear a mask! Here are some flower-themed masks.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Yoda
Project Name: Yet More Masks for Friends
Brief Description: It is WISE to wear a mask right now!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - R2D2
Project Name: Even More Masks for Friends
Brief Description: These masks are blue AND useful!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Rancor
Project Name: Still More Masks for Friends
Brief Description: It is sad that we need to wear these right now, and also they are unfortunately quite misunderstood by some.
Project Photo(s):

And now for some non-masks - yay!

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: Cabbage Soup
Project Link: Cabbage Soup
Brief Description: This soup was tasty AND quick to make!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Bonus - Crying in the Rain
Project Name: Sausage and Veggie Quiche
Project Link: Sausage and Veggie Quiche
Brief Description: Tasty quiche made with what we had on hand. The weather has been bizarre lately, warming up to tank top temperatures and then yesterday we had pea-sized hail! This was nice to warm up with inside on one of the chillier days, and the beans were steamed using water, of course!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Bonus - In a Freak Snowstorm?
Project Name: Cabbage Pie
Project Link: Cabbage Pie
Brief Description: When I told one of my friends I had a cabbage pie in the oven, she asked, “Did you run out of good things for pie?” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But even if it’s an unexpected combination, it was really good!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #3
Project Name: Rice Pudding Parfaits
Project Link: Rice Pudding Parfaits
Brief Description: This took only JUST under half an hour, and requires quite a bit of baby-sitting the stove, but it was very tasty!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: May Battle: Jedi
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name and Link: Find your omen pocket letter
Brief Description: A pocket letter made for good omens.Made with a masterboard on a black background. I contemplated going Sith, for the dark background, but it found it’s way to the the light side…much like Kylo Ren.

Prompt: Spring Quarantine: Outside in the Sun
Project Name and Link: Upcycled Trendy Jar from Pickled Beets
Brief Description: I made this using fabric twine in my friend’s favorite color. A flower jar with paper flowers is definitely nature themed!

20200429_2124061933×2359 1.97 MB

5 Likes

Prompt: May - R2D2
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Seahawks patch
Project Link:
Brief Description: I originally made this to be a sort of pillowy ornament, similar to a biscornu. It didn’t work out as planned, however, so I turned it into a patch. @QueenHobo has claimed it, and is planning to add it to a jean jacket she has. I’ll try again soon. This has blue in it.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

As a girl who grew up in Anchorage, the Seahawks were considered my “home team,” too. Nice job! I love the skyline and the Space Needle as well. This is super cool! LOVE!!

Prompt: Spring Quarantine–In a Freak Snowstorm
Project Name and Link: Quuck and Easy Cinnamon Rolls
Brief Description: Who doesn’t enjoy a nice warm white treat on a cold snowy day?
Project Photo:

4 Likes

Awesome! I was an Air Force brat, so I lived in several places. The Seahawks have always been my dad’s team. I lived in the Fairbanks area twice. For three years on Eielson AFB as a kid, and in Fairbanks for a year in 2008.

1 Like

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Ho-Ou Fascinator
Project Link: Arise, Ho-ou! Hou-ou, Arise!
Brief Description: I wanted to make another fun hat and have always wanted to try a many tailed phoenix.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

These. Are. Life.

3 Likes

Prompt: May Theme - May the 4th / JarJar Binks
Team: Team Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Crab
Project Link: Crocheted Crab
Brief Description: I like to crochet amigurumi! This one love water!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: Spring Quarantine - Dreary Foggy Day (gray)
Project Name: hand towel
Project Link: hand towel
Brief Description: a light gray towel for my dark gray bathroom
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

After getting myself on track, I have fallen behind again!

@appledainty, what a clever way to use the lilies on the headband, and the butterflies are beautiful! I also love the clutch purse! I never think to make one, but I never have one when I need one for something like a wedding. Tucking that idea into my brain. The obidome is stunning (actually, both of them are!) and I love the combination of materials. The resin technique for your butterfly wings is gorgeous! Your kanzashi set is so lovely- I was a bit put off by how trendy they were a little bit ago, but after seeing yours, I might have to give them a try. Also, your dragonfly brooch is just wow! The eyes are just the perfect touch! And, I’ve been following the progress of your Ho-Ou fascinator, so it’s nice to see the final product- as expected, it’s amazing.

@gozer, your felt stuffies are just great, and I’m impressed that they’re your first one! And, your mushroom drawing is gorgeous- the yellow and gray combo again- so totally works! And, again, I love the fabrics you use for your masks. And, it was nice of you too break form and use a solid grey for the guys :slight_smile: Your “The Child” ATCs are amazing- I was behind the curve in watching the series, but once I did, I understood why so many were in love with him!

@GMPNQ, once I get myself back home and settled, I would consider a trade for a penguin imprint or two! It’ll be at least a month, though. Thanks for thinking of me!

@megwell, I think I commented over in the Blitz #4 thread, but I like your metallic/masterboard ATCs. And, with an abundance of cake mixes at home, I have a feeling I’ll be checking out your cake mix muffins. And, I don’t think I commented on the Blitz #5 thread, but you were very clever in your incorporation of lyrics from the song “Under the Sea” as your overall theme!

@storerboughtcreation, your Tortoro biscornu is a.ma.zing!! I don’t think I ever saw the movie. but it’s a character that always brings a smile to my face whenever I see a crafty representation. Same with Hello Kitty! So cute, and the coordinating button is the perfect touch! And, while I’m not a Seahawks fan, I love how you incorporated the logo with the skyline and the state outline. It’s just fantastic. When you do get it to work for a biscornu, I’m sure it’ll be fabulous.

@QueenHobo, your Bartleby cat is so cute- I love the large, cartoon eyes! And, how sweet of you to make a unicorn buddy for your newphew’s unicorn! It’s so great when you have the skills to fulfill a special request. But, chocolate coffee cardamom cake? Sounds (and looks) delicious! It’s not a combination I would have thought to try.

@roler, nice job on the surgical masks! I haven’t made the pleated versions because the pleats seemed too fussy, but yours look nice and even! I love the fabrics you used on the other style. When I get home, I’ll be digging into my stash to find some fun ones. I have a feeling masks will be necessary for a while. And, I “heart” the sheep brooch! When I was in middle school, my very curly hair earned me the somewhat dubious nickname “sheephead” so I developed a fondness for them. You did a great job on the big toe drawing. Fingers and toes are not easy to draw, but you did a very accurate representation! Cabbage soup and cabbage pie? I’m not a huge fan of cabbage, but they both look delicious, as does your quiche. Right before I had to travel to FL for a family emergency, I made a fritatta that I never even got to try because I had to pop it into the freezer (I had a marathon cooking session to use up as much of the food in my fridge as I could). And rice pudding… I’m craving it right now, and love the idea of putting it in a parfait!

@kwyltaholic, I love wreaths with a bit of interest, and the natural theme of this one just checks all of the boxes for me. It’s beautiful! Welcom aboard, too!

@Bunny1kenobi, great job on the curtains! I could use something like that in my house. My neighbors have a SUPER bright motion sensor light in their driveway, and a lined curtain would most definitely help to block that out. And, I really do love your mermaid ATCs. It was a great theme to carry through all of your Blitz cards! And, wrapping your charging cord is a great way to extend the life of it, while making it pretty at the same time! Your monster greeting cards are so fun. I love how the monsters pop against the backgrounds, and they’re just so cute! But not as cute as your “wee one” in her newest little headband! I swear that pictures of my friends’ kids and pets are helping me through this social isolation. And, I forgot to mention that “Chewbarka” is also a favorite.

@Mortuum, welcome to the games! A cross stitched rat is a good way to commemorate the sighting of the wild rat, yet use it for your pet ones! I love your crocheted crab, too! The eyestalks are the perfect touch!

@Tanath, I love how fun your curly hair thingies are! We have crazy hat and hair day at school at least once a year, and I think I need some of those to clip in. Or, maybe I’ll make a hat with them all over it!

@BatsAndBrownies, your Textually Active is fantastic! And, so appropriate for your jobs both past and present!

@bluebird, great set of potion bottle ATCs. I’m always impressed when people can convey the look of glass so well! I love the softness of your moon and stars card, too.

@Smeddley, great mask, and it’s a fun way to photograph it! It’s funny, though, that just knowing your frog is called Mr. Creepy Frog automatically makes me detect a sinister look to his eyes!

@geekgirl, I love the fabrics that you used on your cloth napkins and how well they coordinate. It’s great to have different fabrics so everyone knows which one is theirs. I really like the stitch pattern on your towel.I’m heading over to the post to check it out more!

@Lynx, I loveyour pocket letter set- the black borders really make them pop, and I love the quote that you used. And, another excellent use for your fabric twine! I like how the color changes as you go up the jar. And, I love cinnamon rolls, but I never make them because I would eat them all in one day! But now, my mouth is watering…

4 Likes

I’ve been really enjoying your huge variety of biscornu patterns. Whether you use a single image or a repeating pattern, they all fit the shape perfectly and are so cheerful! Awesome job!

I adore the colors of these mushrooms! The gradation is beautiful, and they look almost carmelized!

Your wreath definitely screams spring! :slight_smile: I especially like the tiny bird nest and eggs.

Those are goooorgeous kanzashi, and will definitely be a special part of your friend’s wedding! The obidome is beautiful as well. I adore the way the light picks up the colors of the dragonfly wings on your brooch as it shines through!

Hee hee, I love your title, and way to go making curtains! Dark curtains can be so nice when you need a midday nap or even just to regulate temperature so I sure hope the kiddo approves! :slight_smile:
I really love your mermaids, and the use of capital letters for certain words reminds me of comic strip style writing! That wrapped charging cord looks really cool! And yeah, those things can wear out way too fast; it’s great that you found a way to extend its life expectancy!

Ahh, I wish I could make coffee muffins; they look decadent! But sadly coffee no longer agrees with my stomach lining. ToT I like the different textures on your ATCs, especially the greener seaweed one! :slight_smile: Now I have Sebastian singing in my head. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Was it you who predicted this season would be Nerd Games - Mask Edition? Sure looks like you were right! I’m having fun seeing the big variety of masks everyone’s making, and I always look forward to seeing your fabrics!

Cute rat!! Please show us the treat box when you’re done; I’d love to see it! I used to have a pet rat when I was in junior high school, and up until last year I had three pet degus. I love little rodent friends!

I reiterate my wish that I could still eat/drink coffee! That cake looks AMAZING! Do you think it would work without coffee? Love the fun family pics too!

“Hair thingies” is a long-cherished and highly functional phrase; I approve! And that is SUCH a fun interpretation of the telephone prompt! I used to use an old rotary phone with a cord like that too when I was a kid. It confused my friends; they never knew how to dial! They sure make darling hair thingies too!

Nice cross-stitch! I love it when people make personal motifs out of their own lives and interests!

Yay, glad to have you here again! :slight_smile: Those potion cards are so pretty!! I love the diamond stopper on the sleeping draught. The backgrounds are really pretty too. And your use of metallics on the moon and stars is perfect!

3 Likes

I think the basic idea will work with about any flavor of mix, though not all flavors will mask the taste of the pumpkin. I once semi-successfully used unsweetened applesauce with a confetti cake mix. The applesauce was wetter than the pumpkin would’ve been; I used less water to try to compensate but didn’t get the adjustment quite right. The muffins tasted fine – they just looked a little sad because the batter had been too wet.

And thanks to all for the kind ATC comments. I’m still relatively new to them; that blue masterboard was my first experience using drywall tape.

2 Likes

Prompt: Spring Quarantine - free range (1)
Project Name: Mother’s Day T-shirt
Brief Description: My inaugural post for Nerd Games, I’m so excited!!!

A friend of my reached out to see if I could make her a t-shirt for her mom for Mother’s day. This was my first “big” cricut project. She gave me the phrase but I put together the design. I don’t hate how it turned out!!!

Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

You did a wonderful job! Welcome to the Games!

3 Likes

Here’a project dump… I’ve done more crafting than I realized!

Prompt: May Battle- Jedi
Project Name: Masks for Jim
Project Link: Masks for Jim

Brief Description: My stepdad, Jim, recently passed away. He was in the hospital for treatment for lymphoma, and contracted the virus. My sister, sister-in-law, and I flew down to FL to be with my mom. When we decided to make masks, we wanted pre-washed fabrics, and my SIL realized that Jim’s shirts would be ideal. We made 10 using a pattern my SIL had used before, and I tried out @Magpie’s pattern. My mom has cut up several more shirts to make more, because a bunch of Jim’s friends and family said they’d love to have one. It fits the prompt because the Jedi were protectors, and masks offer protection, too.

Project Photo(s):

@Magpie’s pattern

Prompt: Spring Quarantine Bonus- Crying In the Rain
Project Name: Homemade Pizza
Project Link: Homemade Pizza

Brief Description: Like many others, my sister has gotten into bread baking during the quarantine. While we were all together at my mom’s she made bread and bagels. We had had doctored frozen pizza one night for dinner, and it was quite tasty, but we figured that since we had all of the ingredients to make pizza dough, we might as well try it. We made two kinds- mushroom, pepper, & onion and garlic, tomato & artichoke. We pre-baked the crust partially so we could then bake it right on top of the over racks to get a crispy crust. They were delicious, and it was an easy recipe to make, too! It fits the prompt because you need water to proof the yeast!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Spring Quarantine Bonus- Outside in the Sun
Project Name: Mermaid ATC
Project Link: Weekend ATC Blitz Challenge #5! And catch-up thread!

Brief Description: I just made this to catch up on the Weekend ATC Blitz #5. The mermaid is sitting on the rock in the sunshine!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Spring Quarantine Bonus- Verily, Is That a Funnel Cloud?
Project Name: Floating Pangea Model
Project Link: Floating Pangea Model

Brief Description: I needed to make an “examplar” for my students, and I left it to the last minute. I had a few challenges to overcome, and cuttiing out the pieces (3 times… once to laminate them, once after they were laminated, and once after I realized I cut them too close and had to laminate them again), plus the sticky Sulky Solvy made a bit of a mess (I was surprised that the Solvy didn’t fully dissolve in the boiling water, but it started to dissolve when I applied it with wet fingers… friction must be key). I used pieces of cut pool noodle to make them float… I was mostly successful, but I needed to use my backup plan because I timed it wrong.

Project Photo(s):

I posted a video link on the actual project thread above.

Prompt: Spring Quarantine Bonus- Dreary Foggy Day
Project Name: Easy Dishcloth
Project Link: Easy Dishcloth

Brief Description: I made a dishcloth using the same pattern @geekgirl used for her Half Bath Hand Towel. It’s a quick pattern, and I love the texture! And, it fits the prompt because it’s grey!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May- Yoda
Project Name: Tulle Dish Scrubbies
Project Link: Tulle Dish Scrubbies (with basic tutorial)

Brief Description: I love making these scrubbies (even though they’re plastic) because they do a really good job, but I can still use them on my non-stick pan. I made a bunch at Christmas, but my mom’s cousin wanted another one, so I made another green one last week. I might make myself one to take home, since I green is my favorite color, and I don’t have green tulle at home.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May- JarJar Binks
Project Name: Clownfish & Anemone ATC

Brief Description: Here’s another ATC for the Weekend Blitz #5 (I used a fish theme for this set). I wasn’t able to make them on the actual weekend, but I’m slowly getting caught up. This one has a clownfish in an anemone, which are somewhat floppy, definitely water loving, and can be annoying to other fish because they have stinging cells.

Project Photo(s): image

Prompt: May- Wicket
Project Name: Fishy Food Web

Brief Description: This is my third card for the Weekend ATC Blitz #5. I used brown for the big fish!

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Great ATCs! I really like how you added dimension to the clownfish card by having him among the anemone. :slight_smile: :fish: And I really love that grey dishcloth! :slight_smile:

Thank you! It was easy to tuck the fish in amongst the tentacles. And, I love the dishcloth, too! I made it for my mom, but I might need to make another one for myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Prompt: May Battle-Jedi vs Sith
Team: RWS
Project Name: parents stuff
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for my mom and dad and for my MIL for Mother’s Day (and sent Fathers Day at the same time coz I saw no reason to pay for postage twice. Yes, I’m a cheapskate :wink:). I made cards for the moms, along with several matching notecards. (It was a free printable I found online that was too cute to resist!) I also made a floral embellishment on canva.com and put it on an envelope template for the notecards. I made 2 cards for my dad (also on canva.com) because I couldn’t pick which one I liked better! And they all got bookmarks with a long note on the back about how much I love them!

Parents have selfless love as their super power, kind of like Jedi. :smile:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Zap #3
Team: RWS
Project Name: quick earrings
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for the quarantine challenge chain. It took a while to figure out what pieces I would use to put these together but once that was done, they were a snap.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: May Challenge Theme - Rancor
Project Name: Batty Bat Pillbox Hat
Project Link: Batty Bat Pillbox Hat
Brief Description: I like bats, but people always associate them with dark magic and vampires. I feel they are a little misunderstood. They are very useful creatures. :3
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes