CLOSED: Nerd Games - Spring 2020

Here’a project dump… I’ve done more crafting than I realized!

Prompt: May Battle- Jedi
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Masks for Jim
Project Link: Masks for Jim

Brief Description: My stepdad, Jim, recently passed away. He was in the hospital for treatment for lymphoma, and contracted the virus. My sister, sister-in-law, and I flew down to FL to be with my mom. When we decided to make masks, we wanted pre-washed fabrics, and my SIL realized that Jim’s shirts would be ideal. We made 10 using a pattern my SIL had used before, and I tried out @Magpie’s pattern. My mom has cut up several more shirts to make more, because a bunch of Jim’s friends and family said they’d love to have one. It fits the prompt because the Jedi were protectors, and masks offer protection, too.

Project Photo(s):

@Magpie’s pattern

Prompt: Spring Quarantine Bonus- Crying In the Rain
Project Name: Homemade Pizza
Project Link: Homemade Pizza

Brief Description: Like many others, my sister has gotten into bread baking during the quarantine. While we were all together at my mom’s she made bread and bagels. We had had doctored frozen pizza one night for dinner, and it was quite tasty, but we figured that since we had all of the ingredients to make pizza dough, we might as well try it. We made two kinds- mushroom, pepper, & onion and garlic, tomato & artichoke. We pre-baked the crust partially so we could then bake it right on top of the over racks to get a crispy crust. They were delicious, and it was an easy recipe to make, too! It fits the prompt because you need water to proof the yeast!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Spring Quarantine Bonus- Outside in the Sun
Project Name: Mermaid ATC
Project Link: Weekend ATC Blitz Challenge #5! And catch-up thread!

Brief Description: I just made this to catch up on the Weekend ATC Blitz #5. The mermaid is sitting on the rock in the sunshine!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Spring Quarantine Bonus- Verily, Is That a Funnel Cloud?
Project Name: Floating Pangea Model
Project Link: Floating Pangea Model

Brief Description: I needed to make an “examplar” for my students, and I left it to the last minute. I had a few challenges to overcome, and cuttiing out the pieces (3 times… once to laminate them, once after they were laminated, and once after I realized I cut them too close and had to laminate them again), plus the sticky Sulky Solvy made a bit of a mess (I was surprised that the Solvy didn’t fully dissolve in the boiling water, but it started to dissolve when I applied it with wet fingers… friction must be key). I used pieces of cut pool noodle to make them float… I was mostly successful, but I needed to use my backup plan because I timed it wrong.

Project Photo(s):

I posted a video link on the actual project thread above.

Prompt: Spring Quarantine Bonus- Dreary Foggy Day
Project Name: Easy Dishcloth
Project Link: Easy Dishcloth

Brief Description: I made a dishcloth using the same pattern @geekgirl used for her Half Bath Hand Towel. It’s a quick pattern, and I love the texture! And, it fits the prompt because it’s grey!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May- Yoda
Project Name: Tulle Dish Scrubbies
Project Link: Tulle Dish Scrubbies (with basic tutorial)

Brief Description: I love making these scrubbies (even though they’re plastic) because they do a really good job, but I can still use them on my non-stick pan. I made a bunch at Christmas, but my mom’s cousin wanted another one, so I made another green one last week. I might make myself one to take home, since I green is my favorite color, and I don’t have green tulle at home.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May- JarJar Binks
Project Name: Clownfish & Anemone ATC

Brief Description: Here’s another ATC for the Weekend Blitz #5 (I used a fish theme for this set). I wasn’t able to make them on the actual weekend, but I’m slowly getting caught up. This one has a clownfish in an anemone, which are somewhat floppy, definitely water loving, and can be annoying to other fish because they have stinging cells.

Project Photo(s): image

Prompt: May- Wicket
Project Name: Fishy Food Web

Brief Description: This is my third card for the Weekend ATC Blitz #5. I used brown for the big fish!

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Great ATCs! I really like how you added dimension to the clownfish card by having him among the anemone. :slight_smile: :fish: And I really love that grey dishcloth! :slight_smile:

Thank you! It was easy to tuck the fish in amongst the tentacles. And, I love the dishcloth, too! I made it for my mom, but I might need to make another one for myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Prompt: May Battle-Jedi vs Sith
Team: RWS
Project Name: parents stuff
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for my mom and dad and for my MIL for Mother’s Day (and sent Fathers Day at the same time coz I saw no reason to pay for postage twice. Yes, I’m a cheapskate :wink:). I made cards for the moms, along with several matching notecards. (It was a free printable I found online that was too cute to resist!) I also made a floral embellishment on canva.com and put it on an envelope template for the notecards. I made 2 cards for my dad (also on canva.com) because I couldn’t pick which one I liked better! And they all got bookmarks with a long note on the back about how much I love them!

Parents have selfless love as their super power, kind of like Jedi. :smile:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Zap #3
Team: RWS
Project Name: quick earrings
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for the quarantine challenge chain. It took a while to figure out what pieces I would use to put these together but once that was done, they were a snap.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: May Challenge Theme - Rancor
Project Name: Batty Bat Pillbox Hat
Project Link: Batty Bat Pillbox Hat
Brief Description: I like bats, but people always associate them with dark magic and vampires. I feel they are a little misunderstood. They are very useful creatures. :3
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: May Battle - Jedi
Project Name: DIY Kintsugi Repairs
Brief Description: I repaired a few pieces of broken ceramics using a combination of gorilla glue and gold tinted resin. :smiley: I think it’s more jedi-like than sith-like, to repair broken things instead of just tossing them. I also repaired a measuring spoon, and I still need to repair some bowls - but these were my first few test pieces.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Sorry. I got behind on commenting. Here goes:
@megwell – The chocolate chip muffins look scrumptious. The textures on your ATCs are really cool, especially the first one with the wire looking grid.

@Mortuum – Cool rat! It’s awesome that you have them as pets. They are such smart creatures.

@QueenHobo – The cake looks scrumptious and Happy Birthday @storerboughtcreation, fun pics!

@bunny1kenobi – The wrapped phone chord looks pretty and like it was a lot of work!

@appledainty – The wings on your dragonfly are stunning. I love that you got the light shining through them in your photo. The crane fascinator is absolutely beautiful. It’s incredible! The bat pillbox hat is neat. I love all the textures on it. Great fix on the mug too!

@tanath – Your picture is cute. You look thrilled. Ha! I hope you make those sea creatures too!

@BatsandBrownies – Funny saying and neatly done cross stitch.

@bluebird - Pretty ATCs, Ilove the touch of metallics on them. The stars and the first, all gold, bottle are my favorites.

@smeddley – Nice masks. I kept forgetting to take pics of mine too. Those things get snatched up quick!

@geekgirl – Wonderful cloth napkins. I like your fabrics and how they coordinate without being too matchy-matchy. Pretty hand towel. I like the colors.

@Bunny1Kenobi – love the monster cards! That was a sweet thing to do for your youth group. The purple one is my favorite. Your granddaughter is adorable. They headbands are so cute on her. I love your May the Fourth ATCs! So clever and funny. Great backgrounds too. Very pretty cards you made for your parents. The ones for your Dad made me laugh! The bookmarks are super cool. Pretty earrings.

@roler – fantastic toe! Never thought I would be saying that. Ha! YOU should draw more often! The masks look great and I love your fabrics. Your food looks yummy too, especially the rice pudding parfait.

@Lynx – Awesome pocket letters. Great backgrounds and I love the cat silhouette. Great use of that fabric twine for the jar covering.

@storerboughtcreation – the Seattle patch is fantasic! Glad you found a good use for it even though it wasn’t your first idea.

@Mortuum – fun crab. He looks like he is trying to find some mischief to get into.

@Imnatari – Welcome to the team! Your teeshirt turned out fantastic!

@craftADDchick - So sorry to hear about your step Dad. It was such a sweet gesture to make masks out of his shirts. I am sure they will mean a lot to his friend and family. Your mermaid ATC is very pretty. I love the way you layered it. The Pangea model is cool looking. I bet it was neat to see it floating around and showing how the earth used to fit together. Nice dishcloth, you can never have enough of them. I love those scrubbies! I use them all the time. They work wonderfully. The clownfish ATC is awesome. The big fish one makes me laugh.

4 Likes

Prompt: Spring Quarantine: Dreary Foggy Day
Project Name and Link :Root Beer Float Cupcakes
Brief Description: While root beer floats are summer time and sunshine, these are grey, so they fit the prompt by color.
Project photo:

Prompt: Spring Quarantine: Crying in the Rain
Project Name and Link:Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
Brief Description: When the weather doesn’t cooperate, bake cupcakes!
Project Photo:

(Apologies if I have posted this one already. My internet was pretty much out for a week, which messed up my Nerd Games posting and commenting mojo. I can’t remember if I meant to post this here, or if I actually did, and I’m being too lazy to look.)
Prompt: Spring Quarantine: Verily, is that a funnel cloud?
Project Name and Link: Masterboard atc blanks
Brief Description: Masterboards are messy. While I wasn’t making masterboards for this, I had a huge mess on my table cutting and pasting to make these blanks.
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Prompt: April Challenge - Snapchat

Team: Bits & Bobs

Project Name: Pampas Grass & Dragonfly Comb

Project Link: Pampas Grass & Dragonfly Comb

Brief Description: The see-through nature of the wings and pampas grass is kinda ghosty :smiley: It’s a pretty shiney comb. Dragonfly made from wire, holographic film & resin; pampas grass made from iridescent organza and glitterwire. The flashy green color also makes me think a little of ectoplasm LOL

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Everyone’s projects are amazing, but I especially like the ATCs, the sweets I’m trying not to let give me ideas, and the crab.

Prompt: Rancor (May)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Attempt at chocolate stout cupcakes
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I broke out a cupcake mix from my pantry, and they…did not turn out. The flavor was good, but the texture was so. bad. To the extent that I almost used these for the small/wrinkly Yoda prompt. But ugly won the day, unlike my cupcakes. Luckily, they didn’t use the whole beer, so I could easily drown my sorrows.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Wicket (May)
Project Name: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I decided those cupcakes weren’t worth the calories, so I made some cookies. I threw a bit of cocoa powder into my Vaguely Less Bad for You Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and scooped them a little bigger than usual. Cupcakes who?
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Heh, sweets! Yeah…gonna need to take a break from th cupcakes a bit because we have no one to share with!
That said, when said break is up, next up is maraschino cherry frosting. Should I use vanills cupcakes chocolate cupcakes, or something infused with cherry?

Also, at least you had some beer left over…and oatmeal cookie chasers. Hah

2 Likes

Prompt: May - Wicket (cute)
Project Name: Studio Ghibli shrine
Project Link: Studio ghibli shrine
Brief Description: tiny shrine filled with polymer clay studio ghibli figures
Project Photo(s):

[/quote]

7 Likes

Prompt: May - Zap
Project Name: Ranch Dressing - FODMAP friendly
Project Link: Ranch Dressing
Brief Description: homemade ranch using homemade garlic infused oil
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: May - Quarantine - Crying in the rain
Project Name: Deviled Eggs
Project Link: Deviled Eggs
Brief Description: yummy deviled eggs. these are made and eaten indoors and need water to boil eggs!

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: May - Zap
Project Name: Taco sauce
Project Link: taco sauce
Brief Description: homemade taco sauce
Project Photo(s):

![image|431x500]

4 Likes

Prompt: May - Rancor
Project Name: Art palette assemblage
Project Link: Art palette assemblage
Brief Description: 9”x12” wooden art palette turned into assemblage piece. I used the prompt Rancor because I used a lot of ugly pieces to make it
Project Photo(s):

(I didn’t realize you couldn’t make more than 5 posts in a row without someone else replying also )

Prompt: May - R2D2
Project Name: More Cloth napkins
Project Link: cloth napkins
Brief Description: lots of cloth napkins made all from stash
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Yoda (for something small)
Project Name: Effen Bird Magnets
Project Link: Effen Bird Magnets
Brief Description: magnets on 2"x2" canvases made with collage elements

Prompt: May - free range
Project Name: Crocheted Swiffer Duster Cover - revamped
Project Link: Crocheted Swiffer Duster Cover - revamped
Brief Description: I revamped my orginal Swiffer duster pattern to only have ‘dusting loops’ on one side

5 Likes

Prompt: May - Rancor
Project Name: Magpie’s ATCs
Project Link: ATCs for a Friend
Brief Description: I made these for Magpie. They are of her daughter. I think they got lost in the mail as they were sent a long time ago. It makes me sad that they are gone. I still hold out hope that they show up.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May – R2-D2
Project Name: More masks – I added it to my masks post.
Project Link: Bunch of Masks
Brief Description: Masks are useful, especially in todays world. I made these for my coworkers teen daughters who wanted more fashionable masks.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

@gozer those atcs are stunning!!! I hope they find their way home!

2 Likes

Those atcs are wonderful! :slight_smile:

2 Likes