CLOSED: Nerd Games - Spring 2020

@geekgirl You’re on a roll! I especially love the almost hidden textural elements in the palette and the bottom row of magnets :laughing:

@gozer I have basically no drawing skills, so I’m totally in awe of the likeness you captured in those ATCs.

@Lynx I love the variegation you got in the twine and the way you incorporated the hummingbird. (Unrelated to your project, I also love your phrase “oatmeal cookie chasers.”)

3 Likes

Prompt: May - Verily, is that a Funnel Cloud?
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Pizza sauce
Project Link: Pizza sauce
Description - made pizza sauce in my quest to go garlic free. Chose the prompt “Verily, is that a Funnel Cloud?” because no matter how careful I am I always end up with red splatters all over my stove when I cook with tomato sauce.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

How did it taste? Ooh, I’d miss garlic!

1 Like

I love garlic a lot. The garlic infused oil helps add in the garlic flavor without the part that causes me distress.

But it’s taking some getting use to to not eat stuff with garlic. It’s in every freaking thing!!!

2 Likes

Prompt: April- Facebook
Project Name: Mantis Shrimp Embroidery
Project Link: I posted in the Stitchalong (Stitch Along 2020-to the End of Time!) and the Challenge Chain. Once I get home, it’ll have its own post :slight_smile:

Brief Description: For the Challenge Chain, I picked @Lynx’s Weird Animals. Life intervened and it took way longer than it should have. But Mantis Shrimp have spectacular eyesight (face) and can be colored a vibrant blue .

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: May - Research project
Project Name: Revamped art journal
Project Link: revamped art journal
Description: I took an incompleted art journal and revamped most of the pages. I’ve been working on it steadily for 2 months.

A few of the pages

5 Likes

Prompt: Quarantine – In a freak Snowstorm?
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Painted Rocks for my Sister
Project Link: Painted Rocks
Brief Description: These will be hidden in my sisters garden and she will find them unexpectedly.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: May: Rancor
Project Name and Link: Assemblage Art
Brief Description: Assemblage: Taking found items and making art!
Project Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt: May Battle: Jedi
Project Name: sleepy sloth ATC
Brief Description: I imagine it takes some kind of Jedi powers to not fall out of a tree when sleeping! :wink:
Project Photos:

Prompt: April - Twitter
Project Name: Rosy Throated Grosbeak ATC
Brief Description: It has a bird and a light blue background!
Project Photos:

Prompt: April - Facebook
Project Name: Strawberry Finch ATC
Brief Description: This cute little finch has a cute little face. :wink:
Project Photos:

Prompt: May - Wicket
Project Name: soccer ball sloth ATC
Brief Description: Sloths are furry, cute and brown!
Project Photos:

4 Likes

I love these! Thanks for swapping them! I have to apologize to you, though, as I mis-named one. It’s rose- breasted, not rosy- throated grosbeak. Totally my mistake!! (Pretty sure I wrote it wrong on my posts, too!) The more we know, amiright?

3 Likes

no worries :blush: Thanks for letting me know about the name! :blue_heart: And I’m so happy you guys enjoyed them! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Prompt: Quarantine – Verily, is that a funnel cloud?
Project Name: Felt Black Cat
Project Link: Dahlia the cat
Brief Description: I love making these felt little creatures. This one is based on my real cat Dahlia. I didn’t realize that the black felt would absorb so much light. She’s still cute. I had to make up the pattern for her shoes and dress.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

She’s adorable!

2 Likes

Super cute! I love her!

2 Likes

Prompt: May - Battle - Jedi
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: pizzas
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made pizzas last week for dinner. My BIL (@QueenHobo’s husband) made the dough and put the pizza in and out of the oven for me (I’m afraid of the oven… I tend to burn myself), but I constructed each pizza. We got a round of mmmmmmm’s, some nommy’s from Grumpy Frog (the highest praise she gives), and in fact I never even got a pic or a slice of the pepperoni and olive pizza, which was devoured in about two minutes. So it was good, like Jedi.

I made a pepperoni and black olive, a four cheese with olives on half, a Hawaiian, a bbq chicken pizza, and my calzone. Mmmmmm
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: April Theme - Facebook
Project Name: Koi & Wave Tiara
Project Link: Koi & Wave Tiara
Brief Description: I’ve been meaning to make a tiara like piece for a while, and have also been wanting to make a fish. The fish has a face - which I’m very proud of :smiley:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Spring Quarantine Bonus Prompt - In a Freak Snowstorm?
Project Name: Crane Obidomes
Project Link: Crane Obidomes
Brief Description: I love cranes, and their elaborate mating dances. :smiley: They are also snowy white.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: May Theme - R2D2
Project Name: Kati’s Wedding Set
Project Link: Kati's Wedding Set
Brief Description: The pigment I used on these resin spider lilies is a metallic blue/purple a/b powder that, as I found out, is often used on high end fancy car paint jobs. :smiley: Very mechanical indeed.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: May: JarJar Binks
Project Name and Link: Fanciful Bird in the Clouds!
Brief Description: This fanciful bird is full of energy dancing in the clouds!
Project Photo:

4 Likes

Prompt: In a Freak Snowstorm (Spring Quarantine)
Project Name: Spice Cake Brownies
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I made this spice cake, which was unexpected, because the recipe was for cake mix brownies. The cake itself is a success, just not very brownie-like save for a strip in the middle.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: R2D2 (May)
Project Name: Sweet Potato Taco Pasta
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I made this for dinner the other night. It was useful for satisfying both my hunger and the vision I had for it. (Ideally, the sweet potato/corn/bean mix would have been a taco filling, but I didn’t have anything resembling a taco shell, so I settled for mixing it w/leftover pasta.)
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes