CLOSED: Nerd Games - Spring 2020

Prompt: JarJar Binks (May)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Oatless Oatmeal Cookies
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I made a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, only to realize about 15 minutes into cooling that I’d totally spaced adding the oats :woman_facepalming:. Annoying. (Tastes okay, but still.)
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

This sounds like me. I’d totally forget to add something, which is why I rarely cook or bake :laughing:

These still look yummy :drooling_face:

Prompt: April - Facebook
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Sloth Biscornu
Project Link: Sloth biscornu
Brief Description: I finally made myself a sloth biscornu, and I love it! Sloths have faces, which is why I chose this prompt. There are a few more pics in the link
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Oh, it turned out so excellent!

1 Like

Prompt: May Theme - Jar Jar Binks
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Watercolor Hydrangea Hairclip
Project Link: Dahlia & Hydrangea Hairclips
Brief Description: I used a special technique to create the gradiated ‘watercolor’ effect on the petals silk I used to make the petals for this hydrangea. :smiley: After adding spots of dye, I rinsed the silk with room temperature water to make the colors blend.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: June Theme - Zebra Turkeyfish
Project Name: Dahlia Hairclip
Project Link: Dahlia & Hydrangea Hairclips
Brief Description: This has a bit of a gradient/stripe effect to it with two different shades of pink. It’s also a dahlia, which is kind of a frilly, layered flower.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: June Theme - Angelfish
Project Name: Bunny of the Moon Hairpin
Project Link: Bunny of the Moon Hairpin
Brief Description: Bunnies are pretty sweet. Some mochi is savory, but I usually have it sweet - and I imagine the bunny of the moon makes sweet mochi.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

All of your pieces are lovely, but the bunny is my favorite! :heart_eyes:

@appledainty, that rabbit hairclip is my favorite thing you have ever done! And you have done some amazing pieces. I Love it. It’s so beautiful, like a piece of art. It is a piece of art!!!

1 Like

They’re not bad. I had a bit of the dough leftover that I’d scooped out to freeze, so I put it back in the bowl and mixed in some oats :laughing:. If they bake up okay, this batch will probably end up in the freezer.

1 Like

Prompt: June Battle - Fresh Water
Project Name: Goldfish & Uchiwa Kanzashi Hair Pin
Project Link: Goldfish & Uchiwa Kanzashi Hair Pin
Brief Description: Goldfish are definitely fresh water, right? XD This piece took forever to finish. I am super proud of it.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt:June Battle- Fresh Water
Project Name: Tulle Dish Scrubbies
Project Link: Tulle Dish Scrubbies (with basic tutorial) (but, I’ve posted here before, so not eligible for bonus, I think)

Brief Description: These are great for washing the dishes (which I always do using fresh water). I can make one in just over a half an hour.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June- Squid
Project Name: Easy Dishcloth
Project Link: Easy Dishcloth (I’ve posted here before, too, so again, no bonus points)

Brief Description: I made this gray dishcloth while I was still down in FL. I made it smaller than the previous one I posted.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June- Zebra Turkeyfish
Project Name: Easy Dishcloth
Project Link: Easy Dishcloth (I’ve posted here before, too, so again, no bonus points)

Brief Description: This one is the same size as the one above, and I used a variegated yarn to make the stripes.

Project Photo(s):

And, @roler, here’s my raffle prize- A Kitchen Helper Set! It’s a jar opener, a dishcloth, and 2 tulle dish scrubbies.

5 Likes

Oooh. I need to win the kitchen helper set! These are awesome

3 Likes

Thanks for another great donation!!

Meanwhile, if anyone still wants to donate, I’m gonna let you sneak stuff in until the veerrrry end of the month (Pacific time)! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Prompt: June – Fresh Water
Project Name: Sunny with Pumpkins
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: I wanted to get some cuter pictures of my felties, but that means I need some more props. The dog pattern came with a pumpkin pattern so I figured I would try it out.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June – Clownfish
Project Name: Whimsical Circus ATC
Brief Description: The ATC is of a circus act and clowns are at the circus!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June – Anglefish
Project Name: Dancing Bird ATC
Brief Description: The ATC is for someone else, and one of the birds is yellow.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May – Wicket
Project Name: Monster Bath ATC
Brief Description: The ATC is of a cute monster. There are lots of sparkles. I tried to capture that but it didn’t really show up.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Hello, Sunny! :wave: You sure look cute with that pumpkin!

Those ATCs are awesome! I love the adorable little guy in the bath.

2 Likes

Sneaking my swap ATCs in under the wire. crafty-becky, if you’re reading this, skip this post if you don’t want possible spoilers!

Prompt: Horse Mackerel (June)
Project Name: Swap ATC 1 Woodland Pals
Brief Description: Made for my partner in the ATC Trio swap. It has blue in it.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Clownfish (June)
Project Name: Swap ATC 2 Sew Crafty
Brief Description: Same swap. This one has a pun.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Angelfish (June)
Project Name: Swap ATC 3 Mystery Loves Company
Project Link: N/A.
Brief Description: Same swap. This one has yellow in it.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Perfect use of an that background item (trying for s sneaky comment) in the last card!! I love it!

2 Likes

Prompt: April - Facebook
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Crochet Crow
Brief Description: This Crow’s Face was quite a bit of work, but I think the expression makes it worth it!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Instagram
Project Name: Dog Toys
Brief Description: Half of these are pink and purple!
Project Photo(s): (see below)

Prompt: June Squid
Project Name: Dog Toys
Brief Description: …and half of these have grey!
Project Photo(s):
Dog Toys

Prompt: April - Lettuce Craft
Project Name: All Mad Here Cross Stitch
Brief Description: Green!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Covid - Cring in the Rain
Project Name: Breadsticks
Brief Description: Why on earth I decided to HAND-KNEAD bread dough is beyond me, and it’s a skill that probably will remain beyond me. They didn’t turn out too badly, but for the amount of effort (seriously, like 40 solid minutes of kneading!). These breadsticks did use some water and they were enjoyed indoors…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Covid - Outside in the Sun
Project Name: Turtle Badge Art
Brief Description: I made this for my friend who saves turtles on her bike ride, and was upset there was no Garmin Badge for that!
Project Photo(s):
Turtle Badge

Prompt: Covid - Verily, Is That a Funnel Cloud?
Project Name: Window Art (take 1)
Brief Description: A friend moved into a house with a big sliding glass door that faces a walking path, and asked me to paint it for her. Sadly, it only lasted a week because 1) we used Tempera Paint for part of it and 2) there was a monsoon. But before we could paint we had to remove what was there previously and, oh, the mess it made!
Project Photo(s):
Window Art 1

Prompt: Covid - Dreary, Foggy Day
Project Name: Window Art (take 2)
Brief Description: So of course I went back over and re-did it, adding some birds and not using any Tempera paint, and putting on multiple layers (though a lot of it is still translucent!). Enough of it stayed that even after we cleaned off the loose bits I Was able to make it look about the same! So I know it looks like it didn’t change but that was another 2+ hours out in the sun… :smiley:
Project Photo(s):
Window Art 2

Prompt: May - Yoda
Project Name: Wallet
Brief Description: I made a wallet years ago, and it was getting pretty beaten up, so it was time to remake it! I picked out some green and blue fabric, though I kind of regret my choice because as pretty as it is, it’s dark and hard to see in my purse… might have to make Wallet 3.0 some day… Old wallet on top, new wallet on the bottom. I do like most of the tweaks I made to the design, though!
Project Photo(s):
Wallet

Prompt: May - JarJar
Project Name: Small Dog Toys
Brief Description: Waste not, want not, I used the leftover ends (one piece of fabric always pulls more) from my big dog toys to make some mini dog toys! I’m going to donate these to a local rescue, though, because they are way to small for my dog! And super floppy… like JarJar’s ears! Or, if you prefer as justification, for high-energy little dogs!!!
Project Photo(s):
Small Dog Toys

Prompt: May - Wicket
Project Name: Crochet Cow
Brief Description: He’s brown, and kinda fuzzy?
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - R2D2
Project Name: Knitted Dishcloth
Brief Description: Definitely Utilitarian!
Project Photo(s):
Knitted Dishcloth

Prompt: May - Rancor
Project Name: Sinister Cross-Stitch
Brief Description: I started this when I was on my horror movie craft kick, and finally decided to finish it! It’s… not the prettiest thing, though I suppose that’s the point of evil portents! I don’t actually know what I’m going to do with it now…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June - Clownfish
Project Name: Sleep Mask repair
Brief Description: I live with a person who stays up very late watching TV, and my sleep mask keeps me from being too sleep deprived and from losing my marbles. So when it started to come apart, I was upset. It’s one of those with the molded bubbled-up eyes and it’s comfortable… so I hand-sewed some binding all around the outside edge to hold the front and back fabric together over the foam core… it’s kinda orange and I think most people look a little funny in sleep masks, especially the bubbly kind! This first photo shows it falling apart from the back side, the second is the binding stitched on.
Project Photo(s):
Mask Falling Apart
Mask Fixed

Prompt: June - Clownfish
Project Name: Blue Bear
Brief Description: A gift for a friend! First time trying to do a movable joint anigurumi, and other than the trial of finding matching buttons, I love it!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Shopping Bags
Brief Description: These were going to be a gift, but I haven’t given them yet because it’s not like most places will let you use cloth shopping bags right now…
Project Photo(s):
Shopping Bags

Prompt: Free Range 2
Project Name: Sunflower Coaster
Brief Description: I started this eons ago and got frustrated with the petals, but finally knuckled down and finished it!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Tetris Afghan 2.0
Project Link: Tetris Afghan 2.0
Brief Description: From September 2008 to May of 2020… it’s FINALLY done!!!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Seahawk wall hanging
Project Link:
Brief Description: This took me more than five hours to crochet. I used the bobble stitch. It’s a little longer than 3 feet wide. I need to figure out how to make it firm enough to lay flat on the wall. Any ideas?
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes