CLOSED: Nerd Games - Spring 2020

Prompt: Twitter
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Face Mask
Brief Description: my first attempt at a mask

This fits the Twitter prompt because I made the ‘small’ sized mask and the main colour is light blue.

Ha, just realised, his t-shirt matches perfectly- same colour and a shark!

6 Likes

Prompt: Zap#1
Project Name: Paper Chain from Scrap Paper
Brief Description: I had 1 1/2 by 12 inch scraps from making notecards. I just don’t have space to keep all scraps, but before they went in our burn pile, I had an idea! I’ll just link them together and have a little more color in a corner of the living room. (I’m sure my family will “love” this.) Paper chains are a special memory with my grandma who I only saw a few times in my life (we once made a chain that was probably up to a few tenths of a mile, maybe up to a quarter), and a recent experiment my son’s science teacher sent home (who can make the longest chain with only one piece of printer paper.)

4 Likes

Prompt: April Battle- Text
Project Name: Yet Another Masterboard
Project Link: Challenge chain, post your completed challenges here, and chat about the challenges

Brief Description: And, here’s my masterboard from the Challenge Chain- I had the challenge of Books. I used a random page from Around the House With Heloise (I have no idea where it came from), and used it in the background, along with some B & W scrapbook paper, some gray pieces from a tissue paper wrapper, and some chevron washi tape. Then, I went over it with some metallic silver paint. I dipped a kitchen scrubber in black and dabbed it all over, then used some white fabric paint to layer a flower stencil over that. It still didn’f feel finished, so this morning, I separated some strands of silver metallic floss and glued the pieces down. It counts for the Battle because the book page has text on it.

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

I. LOVE. THIS.

2 Likes

Prompt: April - lettucecraft
Project Name: 4x6 art
Project Link: 4x6 art
Brief Description: 2 4x6 art pieces in the style of Dyan Reaveley involving green.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: April-Twitter
Project Name: Effin Puffin Bird Journal
Project Link: Effin Puffin Bird Journal (NSFW)
Brief Description: Oh, there are lots and lots and lots of effin puffins in here!
Project Photo: (this one is safe for work!)

4 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Team: RWS
Project Name: Lemonade tin
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this as a prize for the raffle. And yes, it took FOREVER. It also includes my MIL’s yummy lemonade recipe!!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Okay, I’m going to finally get caught up on all of the projects here. I used to be much better at commenting, so I need to get back to showing my admiration for all of the fantastic projects you all share. I’ve made a few random comments, so I’ll try not to duplicate :slight_smile:

@geekgirl, I am hungry for brownies, and am kicking myself for not picking up a mix. But, of course I can make them from scratch! And, your taco pie sounds so very tasty! I don’t have all of the ingredients on hand right now, but I’m saving the recipe for later. Owlbert is very cute! I’m glad there is appreciation of cute monsters! I love your ATCs, always. I like how you mix up your style, too! As much as I love your collage work, it’s fun to see your other talents, too. I love your journal pages, too. The ones with the white in the center of the page are so neat- I like the way the white gives you a calm focus point amidst all of the color. Love the snarkiness of your 4 X 6" pieces, too.

@gozer, I really do love your Bride of Frankenstein painting. I really like how the yellow sets of her portrait. Good job on your masks! I have only made one mask so far, but I avoided the pattern with the pleats because, I agree, they would be a pain to sew! And, I know I commented on your peg people over in their main post, but they are so wonderful. I love everything about them.

@ezrib, your Kumihimo cord came out great! I learned about the technique a few years ago, and find the repetitive motion very soothing. I might have to dig out my supplies (I know I have a couple of bracelets to finish, so thanks for the reminder). And, I know I already commented somewhere on your plague doctor, but I absoultely love it. I think you need to make it costumes for every holiday! And, I like the fabrics you used for your masks.

@Bunny1kenobi, your fat baby jackalope is just adorable. Did you pop it up off of the card, or did you use shading to ctreate the effect? And, I really like your masterboards- they have a crazy quilt vibe to them that is so fun! And, nice job on your masks- I really like the sunflower fabric- it’s very cheerful! And, I like how you made boy-friendly masks (love that space fabric). But, I think the stenciling on your husband’s masks takes the cake! I wouldn’t have thought to stencil on a mask but what a great idea! Nice job on the pants makeover, too. And, I agree with you on the ruching… so strange… But, your little lemonade tin is amazing! I am always impressed by minature works. I love that you included your MIL’s recipe, too. It makes the whole thing extra special.

@storerboughtcreation, we always had cheesy au gratin potatoes, so now you’re making my mouth water. I’d take scalloped potatoes as a substitue. To me, they’re so similar- both delicious! And, you continue to blow me away with your biscornu skills. Every single one is beautiful, and these are no exception. I’m sure the simplicity of the green oneis deceiving, because that’s a lot of stitching! And, the koi biscornu is equally fabulous. I am so impressed with your design skills!

@GMPNQ, great job cutting your son’s hair! I’m sure it isn’t easy, but your son looks adorable. I remember how squirmy I was when my mom used to cut our hair, and how she used to use this pink tape to get our bangs straight. I also remember that pulling that tape off was the worst part! And, I love that shark fabric (and your son’s shirt- I wish they made fun shirts like that for adults!) on your son’s mask.

@roler, your felt work always impresses me. I love how you can get such expressive pieces from felt, and your stitching is so neat. And, good job on your face masks. I have only made one so far, but I need to make more (hopefully today).

@appledainty, I am in love with your pillbox hat. I’ve been watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and I can see her wearing this hat. Your work is impeccable!

@QueenHobo, Fabulous job on your tardis biscornu! Your sister is an excellent teacher! Beautiful job!

@Lynx, great job with your embroidery pieces! How did your color in the Lava Java one? Crayon? And, the detail on the walrus is amazing. Also, I love that you created a weird creature bunting. It’s so fun! I like the soapsaver, too. Do you keep the soap in it so it acts like a little scrubbie? And, I like your seedling planter. I keep meaning to make some hanging planters, but I tend to kill my plants before I do (which reminds me that I need to water the 2 that I currently have…). I like your paper chain- good use of scraps- and it’s given me the idea to give a similar challenge to my students. And your puffin book- OMG, hilarious!

4 Likes

I love this! I’ve always wanted to do miniatures, but have too many other projects I need to work on first. XD

Prompt: April- Twitter
Project Name: Vulture ATC
Project Link: ATC Blitz #4- The Trees

Brief Description: One of the prompts in this past weekend’s ATC Blitz was “Put a Bird On It!” and instead of doing a cute, lovable bird, I went with a vulture. Because vultures, as it turns out, are righteous!

Project Photo(s)

9 Likes

Prompt: April Battle Royale - Text
Project Name: Lily and Butterfly Padded Headband
Project Link: Padded Headband, Obidome and Clutch - FCQ12020 Challenge Entry
Brief Description: The lilies were originally made for a commission that I got via email - which is a kind of text, right? The client wanted a different petal shape, so I found a new purpose for these lilies in this headband.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April Challenge Prompt - Instagram
Project Name: Striped Butterfly Clutch
Brief Description: It’s a clutch with a hand appliqued butterfly design. First attempt at making one of these. It has a cute peachy pink flowery lining and matching peachy pink loooped trim.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April Challenge Prompt - Twitter
Project Name: Butterfly Obidome
Brief Description: It’s very small and has lots of light blue. :smiley: This is a butterfly obidome I made using a name plate and one of my holofilm and uv resin butterflies.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

@roler – Welcome to the TEAM!!! Katsuyuki’s and Kimutako’s scarves are very pretty. I bet the color reminds them of their watery homes! The Lovebird hoop is so cute. I love the bright fun colors.

@storerboughtcreation – The Green Biscornu is so intricate and pretty. Great raffle prize. I love the Koi Biscornu. I have koi so this is fantastic!!!

@QueenHobo – Took me a second and then I saw the Tardis. Ha! Very cool.

@bunny1kenobi – Great save on the pants! They look great. You would never know they were altered. Your masks are great too. I like the feather one best, but I am partial to gray.

@Lynx – The Java embroidery is fun and bright! I love the walrus one. That’s a great pattern. Your bunting is great! I love the little animals. They are all too cute to pick a favorite. Very useful soap saver. And pretty plant hanger. Fun paper chain. It reminds me of my childhood. Funny birds.

@CraftADDchick – I love your arrangement! It’s much harder than it looks to arrange flowers. Yours look beautiful. Love your masterboard. I love your vulture ATC. Makes me like them even more now.

@GMPNQ – Love the mask. Fun fabric!

@geekgirl – Loving this style! I love the colors and movement of them. These are fantastic!

@bunny1kenobi – I love your miniature tins! They are incredible. Just hearing what you did t make the cups is insane! It turned out amazing.

@Appledainty – The Lilies on the headband are absolutely stunning! You do such great work on your resin pieces. Very pretty embroidery on the pouch. I had to look up what an Obidome. This one is stunning!

3 Likes

Prompt: Big Time Project
Project Name: Appledainty Animated Alerts
Brief Description: Like many people, my schedule has imploded now that I’m home all of the time. To give myself some stability, I thought it might be a good time to start streaming art. I didn’t want my channel to be ugly, so I made a bunch of cute graphics and animated alerts for my channel. I haven’t actually animated anything in about 4 years, so even though these are simple it was a bit of a challenge to relearn how to do this. XD And my background is not animation, but illustration haha.
Project Photo(s):
AppleAlert
FlowerAlert
HissabelleAlert
TeaAlert

5 Likes

Prompt: April - Facebook
Project Name: Penguin ATC
Brief Description: A penguin ATC as a design idea for a lino print.
Facebook, because birds have faces too.

5 Likes

Prompt: Zap!!
Team: RWS
Project Name: baby headband
Project Link:
Brief Description: I whipped this up real quick for my granddaughter. Isn’t she adorable? :heart_eyes:
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

@appledainty, I like your animated alerts! And, pretty cool that you have a your own art channel. You should let us know when it’s "live!

@GMPNQ, adorable penguin It’ll translate very well into lino art. One of my coworkers calls me “royal penguin” (it’s a long story), so I have decided to embrace all things penguin! :slight_smile:

@Bunny1kenobi, adorable granddaughter (and adorable headband, too!). I love her outfit- I would totally wear a dress with that fabric!

I am really late to the party, so I’m gonna go ahead and start commenting now! (I have repeat comments, so if I do, lucky you!)
@geekgirl: those brownies look yummy, owlbert is so fun, oooh girl, you had me at tacos!, you know I love your atcs and journal pages

@gozer: your Bride of Frankenstein is absolutely amazing, awesome peg people–love the mummy

@ezrib: the curtain tie back is so pretty and the plague doctor is genius

@Bunny1kenobi : I love your sweet jackalope atc, your masterboards are so cheerful, nice job in fixing those pants!, thanks girl, now I want lemonade…and what? the lemons are only garnishes! Also…how cute is your granddaughter?? Too cute, that’s how!

@craftaddchick: is your banana cake kinda like banana bread?, the floral arrangement is so beautiful, your black and white masterboard will be so neat when it’s cut up and decorated!

@storerboughtcreation: those scalloped potatoes look yummy, beautiful biscornu and so wonderful you have donated it to the raffle. I need to figure out something to donate! The koi biscornu is so pretty!

@GMPNQ: great job on the hair cut! I too have been getting the hang of hair cutting, and fun fact, I too like penguins…

@roler: you are the bomb with all those felt hoops! Those scarves for Katsuyuki and Kimutako! So stylish!

@appledainty: Beautiful pillbox hat. How do those work, exactly? The padded headband is so beautiful. You are quite skilled! the butterfly obidome is stunning! Yay for animation! Happy little blinky things to make me smile!

@QueenHobo: I somehow missed this TARDIS biscornu when it was posted! I am IN LOVE!!!

3 Likes

It was more like a cake- not as dense as a banana bread, and the bananas mostly sank to the bottom. But, it was delicious! I used my B & W masterboard in my ATCs for Blitz #4, but I haven’t decided what to do with the extra piece, which measures about 8 1/2 X 11" (I have 3 pieces- one from each masterboard I’ve made). I might cut them up and use them to make notecards, but I’m still thinking about it.

1 Like

Prompt: Free Range 1
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: More masks
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: I made masks with a different pattern. These where easier. Actually, I made 5 of these but forgot to get pictures of the others before I passed them out.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Fantastic fabrics @gozer! But you always do have the best fabrics! What pattern did you use?

2 Likes