CLOSED - Nerd Games - Spring 2022

@gozer - Love love love the Nessie projects! The little felt mandrakes are ADORABLE.

@megwell - your ATCs are so cool! Everything on them just works so well, the color, the themes…

@storerboughtcreation - I can never say enough about how much your crochet floors me, you’re so good and so prolific!

@bunny1kenobi - cute ATC, and amazing jewelry! But those coasters steal the show. :smiley:

@Lovelymiss - yay, the cat house miniature! It’s amazing, and worth all the work! I’ll fogive you for posting all the food and making me hungry… :smiley:

2 Likes

Prompt: May Battle - Backwards - Dragon Blood Drop (teal)
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Dragon Blood Drop
Project Link: Dragon Blood Drop
Brief Description: Looking BACKWARDS I see I’ve changed the way I’ve done the dragon blood drop quite a bit!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - “And look upon myself and curse my fate”
Project Name: Dragonfly Blood Drop
Project Link: Dragonfly Blood Drop
Brief Description: This frustrated me beyond reason, and I still don’t love it, but it is done (complete story in link!)
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May Taco Cat
Project Name: Cat Blood Drop
Project Link: N/A (but coming when I make a second one!)
Brief Description: It’s a cat! My first attempt… was less cat like, but I’m pretty happy with this one!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May Step Not on Pets
Project Name: Mouse Blood Drop
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: This was actually my first attempt at a cat, but… it’s a mouse. And people keep mice as pets!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May Never odd or even
Project Name: Turtle Blood Drop
Project Link: N/A (but there will be a pattern post soon)
Brief Description: So many little pieces to the turtle! So. Many. There are two turtles in the picture, the other will be coming soon as a free range but I have to write up the pattern and I am so tired tonight…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: Owl Blood Drop (the second)
Project Link: N/A (already posted the owl pattern!)
Brief Description: So, I thought I’d already posted him, but apparently I hadn’t? I did use him as the example of the different beak types in the pattern post, which is why I thought I had… but anyway, here’s the second (of three - don’t have pictures of #3 yet, just finished him!) Owl Blood Drops I made!
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

I made a thing that isn’t food! Actually managed to craft a bit more this month, but it almost got away from me again.
So, I’ll post the battle, and tomorrow I’ll go through this thread again and take a better look at all the fun.

Prompt: May Battle - Backwards
Project Name: Gryffindor House Pendant
Project Link:
Brief Description:
The original tutorial for this pendant has two colors, one on each side. After making a couple with two colors, I thought about variations and wanted to try stripes. Something in my mental visualization was backwards, so the stripes didn’t come out in the direction I wanted them to. Still turned out pretty cool. The colors were just random ones I had in my travel bead box when I wanted to try this, but my daughter pointed out that they are Gryffindor. So, it might become a gift to someone from that house.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

New prompts are posted! Early in the day, even! Stupidly early, it’s not even 7 am here yet… :smiley:

4 Likes

Prompt: June - Podcast Adaptation
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Brytla Battlehammer
Project Link: Brytla Battlehammer
Brief Description: My character for the D&D campaign we recently started. My husband got me into the Adventure Zone podcast. I probably wouldn’t have ever tried playing D&D if I’d never listened to it.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Rosiemac
Project Link: Rosiemac mosaic
Brief Description: I was a pattern tester for this blanket. My blanket is featured in the pattern, and I absolutely adore how it turned out. I gifted it to @roler for her birthday. :partying_face: :hearts:
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Epic and gorgeous, SBC! You’re a continuous inspiration!

3 Likes

Prompt: June Battle - Classic Novels
Project Name: Dinner
Brief Description: Still in full swing with the CSA and trying out different recipes. I’m going with Classic for the Battle because these are pretty standard foods, and I followed two recipes exactly. Roasted Brussels sprouts and loin chop with a honey garlic sauce.

Project Photo(s):

chopsprout

Prompt: June - Graphic Novel Adaptation
Project Name: Ship art
Brief Description: A friend collects ship art and we share a birthday, so my partner and I each did some art as gifts. This was done with Distress Crayons used as watercolors, and it’s small - about the size of a credit card. I added a frame, and it was well received. :slight_smile:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June - Movie Adaptation
Project Name: Graffiti fabric collage card
Brief Description: I wanted to keep my hands busy while we were watching some intense stuff, so I pulled out my paint pens and made a kind of graffiti-ish background. I collaged on some fabric cutouts and made this…I don’t really know what to call it. Maybe it will be added to a journal or I’ll use it as a card front. The circles that look kind of white/gray are actually silver/metallic. I couldn’t get the shine to show with my phone camera.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June - Podcast Adaptation
Project Name: Mushroom Pasta
Brief Description: Does this count as black and white? :laughing: I made a cream sauce with gouda and black pepper (white and black), and added it to sauteed onions (which got very over cooked - black, again :crazy_face: ), king trumpet mushrooms, and organic fusilli pasta.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June - Retelling
Project Name: Dinner 2
Brief Description: This was actually the same base recipe as my other dinner (so good it’s in regular rotation now), but I changed up the sauce. Instead of using regular honey, I used hot honey. It was really good - somehow the heat really elevated the saltiness in a way I didn’t expect, though. I’ll probably try half and half hot honey and regular honey next time.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June - Cliff’s Notes
Project Name: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Brief Description: Pie is made all in one piece, right? It was also surprisingly simple. I’d never made this kind of pie before, and didn’t realize the filling would just be fruit, sugar, and instant tapioca. I know it’s probably common knowledge for many, but it kinda blew my mind! It was exceptionally tasty. I dusted the top with turbinado sugar for a little extra sweetness and crunch.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Boiled Dinner
Brief Description: This was made all with ingredients from our CSA (cabbage, onion, carrot, potato, ham, garlic)! Pepper and a bay leaf were the only other things I added for flavor. I love boiled dinner. It’s so simple. Though it cooked for more than 30 minutes, the prep was only about 15, so I’m calling it a Zap.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Shawl
Brief Description: I’m finally really learning how to crochet! It’s so fun! I can’t believe I was so intimidated for so long. (Thanks to SBC for the extra encouragement and guidance!) I have some squares I’m trying to figure out how to make into a patchy sweater, but in the meantime, I made this shawl - it’s just double crochet and slip stitches. It took maybe about 12-ish hours, I would guess, though I didn’t really keep track. Yarn is one skein of Lion Brand Mandala Tweed Stripes in Knock on Wood. I’m already on to another pattern - I’m thinking I’m going to try to make a few diffferent shawls/wraps for holiday gifts. (Am I actually really getting a head start this year?! :upside_down_face:)

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

It looks like you’ve been cooking a lot lately. It’s been too hot here to cook much. So many of those dishes look tasty!

And I love that you started to crochet. Like I told roler… I do NOT take credit for your yarn and pattern obsession :grin::rofl: I hope you’re able to make your sweater and show it off to us soon! :heart:

2 Likes

Prompt: Podcast Adaptation (June)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Envelope
Project Link: Junk Journal Embellishment Assortment
Brief Description: This is black and white outside and in. (Photo here is the outside; the inside is fridge installation instructions.)
Project Photo(s):
20220512_163237

Prompt: Retelling (June)
Project Name: Pocket Tag
Brief Description: I used an existing tag as a template for this one and then angled the rounded top corners. I also added a pocket on the back.
Project Photo(s): Here’s the pocket side; the front appears in the upcoming photo with the coordinating card.
20220512_163652

Prompt: Cliff’s Notes (June)
Project Name: Paper Scrap Book (not to be confused with a scrapbook :laughing:)
Brief Description: This project is super simple. In theory at least; I spent forever stressing over paper sizes, arrangement, etc. :woman_facepalming:t2:
Project Photo(s):
20220512_163340

Prompt: Graphic Novel Adaptation (June)
Project Name: Calendar Snippet Strip
Brief Description: This strip ended up shorter than it originally was because I really made a mess of inking one end of it.
Project Photo(s):
20220512_163329

Prompt: Classic Novels (June Battle)
Project Name: Journaling Card
Brief Description: The book page base of this card is from an essay about Jane Austen and Pride & Prejudice.
Project Photo(s): Card is on the right; left is the front of the earlier tag.
20220512_163401

5 Likes

Prompt: April -“All that glitters is not gold”
Project Name: Photo album 1
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made this for my parents. It has a lot of gold stamped paper in it. This has a whole bunch of little pockets in it, to put photos into. And then it folds up into a small rectangle, that can be put on the shelf or left out on an end table or something.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May- Taco Cat
Project Name: photo album 2
Project Link:
Brief Description: This was made for my MIL. It has many layers.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - stressed desserts
Project Name: mini toaster
Project Link:
Brief Description: I think miniatures are sweet and this toaster is no exception.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June battle- Adaptation
Project Name: Punk rock granny
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made this ATC for curiousfae. Remember Looney Tunes’ Granny, the keeper of Tweety and Sylvester? Check out her new look!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June- Graphic Novel
Project Name: Mini blender
Project Link:
Brief Description: This blender is much shorter than the original! LOL!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June - Movie adaptation
Project Name: Mini mixer
Project Link:
Brief Description: This mixer has moving parts- the top goes up and down just like a real Kitchenaid.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June - retelling
Project Name: His first fish ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: This was made for my husband for Father’s Day and is a retelling of a favorite family memory.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June- Cliff’s Notes
Project Name: Toad ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: This was made for @irid3sc3nt in the ATC swap. It is a simple image and the ATC is all one piece.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: Wooden tags
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made for geekgirl in the fill a pouch swap.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #3
Project Name: Wednesday Addams ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made for the “Craft This in Your Style” craftalong and sent to my bestie @Gozer!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #4
Project Name: Ahuizotl ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: @gozer and I both love cryptids and I made this card for her in the ATC swap. This is a cutesy version of an ahuizotl, a cryptid from south of the border. They were supposedly dog-like, with hands on the ends of their tails. They pulled people into the water with those tail-hands and drown them. Then they’d eat them. (!!)
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #5
Project Name: handmade stamps
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for @geekgirl in the fill a pouch swap. She does a lot of artsy stuff and I thought some random-ish shapes might be useful in an art journal or masterboard or something like that.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #6
Project Name: embellishment assortment
Project Link:
Brief Description: Also made for @geekgirl in the fill a pouch swap. These embellishments are made from paint swatches, buttons and crochet cotton.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: June – Graphic Novel
Project Name: Bigfoot picking bellybutton lint drawing
Project Link: Bigfoot Artwork(s)
Brief Description: I made this for @kwality570 in the crypto swap. One of my favorite graphic novels is “Proof” about a Bigfoot.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June – Cliff Notes
Project Name: Bigfoot picking bellybutton lint drawing Image 2
Project Link: Bigfoot Artwork(s)
Brief Description: I made this for the crypto swap, but thought I could do better. I wanted more movement and personality. I ended up keeping this one and sending the first one. It was simple to make.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June – Retelling
Project Name: Bee Artwork
Project Link: Bee Mounted Art
Brief Description: This was made for the 4x6 swap. I combined markers and painting (the base) together. I also changed up my old way of doing a 4x6 with just paper and elevated it with the cradleboard!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I LOOOOVE your little Sasquatches! (Bigfoots? Bigfeet?). And the bee is beautiful.

1 Like

I prefer Bigfeet. Ha!

2 Likes

Prompt: May - Step not on pets
Team: Running w Scissors
Project Name: Orca & Oyster Artwork
Project Link: Oyster & Orca the cats Artwork

Brief Description: These are Camelama’s fur babies. Made for the Make a Pouch and Fill it swap. Her babies were so cute that I had to draw them. I adhered the drawing to painted cradleboard and sealed it with matte mod-podge.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Movie Adaptation (June)
Project Name: Thin Man ATC
Brief Description: This is a quote from (one of) my favorite movies, The Thin Man. The first movie really is the best of the series for quotes…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Stressed Desserts (May)
Project Name: Thin Man ATC 2
Brief Description: …although the second one definitely has some corkers. I crafted this (both of them, actually) as a stress release while watching something less than relaxing.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Sunflower 4x6
Project Link: 4x6 Magazine Collages
Brief Description: Made for the recent 4x6 swap.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 2
Project Name: Ostrich 4x6
Project Link: 4x6 Magazine Collages
Brief Description: Made for the recent 4x6 swap.
Project Photo:

Prompt:* Free Range 3
Project Name: Vacay ATC
Brief Description: Made for Lynx2Lancer in the Onhoing ATC swap. I feel strongly that the slang shorthand for vacation should be written “vacay,” because I’m a Spanish major and when you spell it “vaca” all I see is “cow.”
Project Photo:

Prompt:* Free Range 4
Project Name: Books ATC
Brief Description: Made for GeekyBookworm in the Ongoing ATC swap. The base is from a masterboard by Wulf.
Project Photo:

3 Likes

Prompt: June – Battle Classic vs Adaptation
Project Name: Yeti Felt badge
Project Link: Winged Heart & Yeti Felt Badges
Brief Description: Originally Yeti’s were scary monsters, now the media has turned them into cute and sweet.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June – Movie Adaptations
Project Name: Winged Heart Felt badge
Project Link: Winged Heart & Yeti Felt Badges
Brief Description: I added a touch of silver to the wing details of this felt badge.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June – Podcast Adaptation
Project Name: Bubble Pod
Project Link: Blue Bubble Pod
Brief Description: What’s more POD-cast than a pod? That’s all I got people. LOL! But my favorite podcast is Bob’s Credits. It’s about the end credits of Bob’s Burgers.
Project Photo(s):

… and I think that means I did all the prompts? At least I hope. I was so unorganized this time. Very unlike me for the Games.

2 Likes

There’s a news update in the discussion thread, and the new season has started!

1 Like

Prompt: June Battle - Classic Novels
Project Name: Fairy Door
Brief Description: While I do like some adaptations, I usually prefer the originals - and I mean the ORIGINAL originals, not the Disney originals. So I imagine that behind this sweet, inviting fairy door, there lies horror and untold misery…

Prompt: April - All that glitters is not gold
Brief Description: I discovered the greatest thing to use my not-dense-enough-glitter nail polish on, since it’s rubbish on my nails - topcoat on fairy doors! Hopefully the picture shows the sparkles around the outside and on the flower handle…

Prompt: April - A rose by any other name
Brief Description: Flowers!

Prompt: April - Double, double toil and trouble

Brief Description: Gotta bake that clay!

Prompt: May - Borrow or Rob
Project Name: Owl blood drop #3!
Brief Description: So when I get a request, I always make two - one for the person, and one for my display shelf - so people can see them. This one got a request from the shelf so now, Owl Drop #3! I honestly don’t know if this is a picture of two or three, but I swear I have made three of them, so…

Prompt: May Stressed Desserts
Project Name: Chicken Blood Drop #2
Brief Description: Another chicken blood drop, they are meant to bring comfort and companionship (and a little bit of humor) to donating blood!

Prompt: Free Range 3
Project Name: USB-C Cable holder
Brief Description: Still trying to figure out a way to store my cords, I don’t think this is quite it… though it does work.

USB-C try 1

Prompt: Free Range 4
Project Name: Micro-USB Cable holder
Brief Description: Made at the same time as the USB-C one, I… what I really want is a macaroon style one, with the zip around the outside edge, but I’m not sure I can make that… Also, later, I realized I could make them square and store them in a CD binder thing?

Micro USB 1

Prompt: Free Range 5
Project Name: Headphone holder
Brief Description: Thought I’d try it without a zipper, and it works, but… meh.

Headphones 1

Prompt: Free Range 6
Project Name: Turtle Blood Drop #2
Brief Description: I was going to wait until I was ready to add the pattern to post this one, but good news, someone else is interested in one so there might be a Turtle 3 soon!

4 Likes

Squeezing in at the last minute (I hope). So happy to see all the diverse things everyone has been up to.
Life is still getting in the way here, and the mojo is low, but I did look through my pictures and found a few things I managed to do during this season.

Prompt: June - Retelling
Team: Bits & Bobs
Project Name: Passover dinner
Project Link:
Brief Description:
Passover is all about retelling. And each family has their own traditions related to it and the foods that they are used to serving each year. I did most of the cooking this year, and went with the classics that my family loves.
In the picture is chicken soup with omelette noodles and matzoh balls, which we “retell” on our Passover menu every year.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Stressed Desserts
Project Name: Jelly topped cheesecake
Project Link:
Brief Description:
This is one of my favorite cakes, and my brother loves it too. It’s sweet and comforting :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June - Cliff’s Notes
Project Name: Giant cookie cake
Project Link:
Brief Description:
Instead of a whole bunch of cookies, this is a huge, one piece, cookie. We finally made something from the My Little Pony baking book that I got for my daughter after someone mentioned it here or in the other place.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - “Though she be but little, she is fierce”
Project Name: Basketball keychains
Project Link:
Brief Description:
Made keychains with player numbers for the girls in my daughter’s basketball team, as an end of year gift. The keychains are small, as are some of the girls. And they are learning to be fierce.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes