CLOSED - Nerd Games - Spring 2023

Welcome to the Nerd Games!

Runs April 1, 2023 - June 30, 2023

This is a craftalong where nerdy crafters all over the world can share our projects and give each other encouragement - that’s really all there is to it! If you feel you might be a nerd, or enjoy some nerdy things of any kind, or if you’re just nerdy about crafting, you’re more than welcome here!

HOW TO JOIN

Simply make any craft, take photos of it, and post them in this group with the following header, which will be explained below:

Prompt: (Write the name of the prompt you are entering your craft for here. Don’t forget to include the month!)
Team: (Choose one of three, listed below)
Project Name: (Name your craft anything you like; fanciful titles or simple labels/descriptions are all fine)
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points)
Brief Description: (Tell us anything you’d like to about the craft, such as how you made it, and why it fits the prompt.)
Project Photo(s): (Post photos of your awesome craft here, so we can ooh and aah over it!)

THE TEAMS

There are three teams to choose from, and no requirements for joining any of them; simply choose one that speaks to you, put the team name in your first project header, and presto - you’re a member! You will remain on the same team for the entire season. You may change teams in future seasons.

• Team Running With Scissors :scissors:
  • Team Knotty By Nature :yarn:
  • Team Bits and Bobs :thread:

Either type in your team name, or use the emojis to indicate your team!

THE PROMPTS

Prompts will be posted on a monthly basis in the post below. Please choose a prompt. Monthly battles are the only time sensitive prompts. The non-battle prompts are open for the entire season. See THE POINTS section below for point values and several additional crafting opportunities for each of your crafts. You can craft specifically to fit the prompts, or you can craft first and then find a prompt to fit it into. We’re pretty lax about slightly stretched interpretations of the prompts; just explain in your description how it fits!

• Monthly prompts will close at 11:59pm Central Time on the last day of the current month.

BONUS POINTS

We are trying to keep things simple, so there will only be one type of bonus point available. COMMUNITY POINTS will be given when you post a link to a post you’ve made within the Lettuce Craft community, and will be worth 20 bonus points for each project shared. Please be sure to participate in the entire community and not just in the craftalong!

THE POINTS

This competition is just for fun and the points are for nothing more than motivation and bragging rights, but go ahead and rack up points by posting projects for you team! Points break down as follows:

• Monthly battles and prompts: 20 points each (must take at least 30 minutes of crafting time)
  • Free Range: 20 points each (must take at least 30 minutes of crafting time. Up to six allowed per season
  • Big Time projects: 50 points each (must take at least 5 hours of crafting time. Up to three allowed per season)
  • Zaps: 10 points each (any craft that takes less than 30 minutes to make. Up to five allowed per season)
  • Research Projects: 100 points (must take at least 20 hours of crafting time. Up to two per season)
  • Bonus Points: COMMUNITY bonus points (worth 20 extra per project) are the only bonus opportunity available at this time.

Special Note:
All prompts are supposed to be crafted within the current season. However, we have decided to make an exception to this rule. Let’s say you craft something for a swap near the end of the Summer season. You’ve sent the swap package, but it hasn’t been received yet. Fall season begins, your partner has received their swap item, and you are ready to post. You may go ahead and post your project from the previous season for the current season.

THE RULES

• Players must craft to the best of their abilities and have a minimum of 30 minutes of crafting time per submission, unless otherwise noted.
  • A project can only be submitted for one prompt or crafting opportunity.
  • A project does NOT have to be "nerdy,” it only has to fulfill the prompt as you see fit.
  • Submitted projects must be started and completed during the current season, unless otherwise noted.
  • There is SO MUCH to do in the Nerd Games. Do not feel like you have to craft everything. Do what inspires you.
  • We welcome all players from the Nerdyverse, no matter their Geekdom. We even welcome non-nerds!
  • We are never mean.
  • We never exclude someone.
  • We will keep it clean-ish (PG-13).
  • Never hesitate in contacting the Gamemakers (@storerboughtcreation or @Smeddley) with your questions, concerns, or ideas.

Previous Seasons:

Winter 2023
Fall 2022
Summer 2022
Spring 2022
Winter 2022
Fall 2021
Summer 2021
Spring 2021
Winter 2021
Fall 2020
Summer 2020
Spring 2020
Winter 2020

Tracking and Teams

Running with Scissors:
bunny1kenobi
megwell
bluebird

Knotty by Nature:
storerboughtcreation
ezrib
roler

Bits and Bobs:
LovelyMiss
Tanath
craftADDchick
Smeddley

3 Likes

Please post your projects with the following header:

Prompt: (Write the name of the prompt you are entering your craft for here. Don’t forget to include the month!)
Team: (Choose one of three, listed above) *
Project Name: (Name your craft anything you like; fanciful titles or simple labels/descriptions are all fine) *
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points) *
Brief Description: (Tell us anything you’d like to about the craft, such as how you made it, and why it fits the prompt .)**
Project Photo(s): (Post photos of your awesome craft here, so we can ooh and aah over it!) *

• April Battle: Foolish vs Serious - CLOSED
  • May Battle: Artificial Turf vs Natural Grass - CLOSED
  • June Battle: Solo vs Teams (games)

April theme: April starts off with a very foolish day, but we’re going to be serious about our crafting, right? Fools and Sages, that’s the theme this month! But the prompts are all about the foolish side, because, let’s be honest, those are far more interesting words and made for better prompts…

1. Featherhead - craft something using feathers, that is light, is meant to hang on a wall/from the ceiling, or is multicolored/iridescent.
  2. Mooncalf - craft something that is round, has spots, or is black and/or white.
  3. Blockhead - craft something that is square, bulky, is made to be used on a head, or is beige/tan/brown.
  4. Laughingstock - craft something that is made to make someone feel happier, or is from materials you always stock, or is green.
  5. Ninnyhammer - craft something that requires some tools, or some brute force, is small, or is blue.

May theme: Sports! And the age-old debate over astroturf and grass… the sport that most often comes to mind with this argument might be football or baseball, but other sports can utilize either kind of field…

1. Ultimate Frisbee - craft something that is disk-shaped, something that flies, or something with a colorful logo, or that is neon-colored.
  2. Badminton - craft something triangle or pyramid shaped, rubbery, something with a grid/net texture, or something that is red.
  3. Flag football - craft something that is made of fabric, is rectangular, or is brown.
  4. Lawn bowling - craft something that is round, or has multiples (ten not required!), is marbled in color, or has holes in it.
  5. Softball - craft something diamond-shaped, squishy, that has visible stitching, or is white.

June theme - gaming! Might have done this one before, but I’m afraid we’re probably going to end up doing some recycling at some point! I’ve been watching a lot of gaming channels on YouTube, so…

1. Board Games - craft something that is flat, uses chipboard, can be folded up, or has paths/lines.
  2. Card Games - craft something that is made up of multiple parts, is flexible, has hearts, diamonds, spade, or clubs on it, or is black or red.
  3. Video Games - craft something that uses electricity, is high-tech, or that is somehow inspired by your favorite video game (character, themes, etc).
  4. Role Playing Game - craft something in miniature, something that is in the theme of any RPG you’ve played, or something that is made of scraps.
  5. Puzzle Game - craft something that was tricky to figure out, has interlocking pieces, or is inspired by your favorite puzzle game.
5 Likes

Pin Prize Collection

We’re continuing the Nerd Games enamel pin collection! Each season you’ll have the opportunity to earn up to three enamel pins. Each pin will be different, and every season the pins offered will be different. Try to collect them all, or have fun picking and choosing ones to work toward!

ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EVENTS:

In celebration of the 10 year anniversary of the Nerd Games, there will be special pin events throughout the year where you can earn additional pins. Check back here each season.

Super Nerd: Participate in every Nerd Games season this year by submitting at least one project in each round (Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall). (You will claim this pin in December 2023).

SPRING EVENTS:

In one season, a long time ago, the Nerd Games offered the opportunity to earn up to SIX enamel pins – one based on each of the five old-school Nerd Games teams – and a sixth special pin if you completed all of the team-based events. We’re bringing them back for ONE TIME ONLY! Earn up to SIX pins this season!

Note: If you completed any of the events in 2018, the pins will be the same. If you got one of the pins then, I’m happy to count that toward the sixth bonus pin this time! Or you can do all of the events again!

Complete ALL THREE requirements of an Event to claim the associated pin:

Textbook:

1.) Learn a new crafting skill – something you haven’t done before –and create a Research or Big Time project using that skill and submit it this round.

2.) Make a separate post for your project in the appropriate LC board.

3.) Share links to the tutorials or resources you used to learn your new skill in your post.

Wordy:

1.) Craft a project that uses text or words in some way.

2.) Make a tutorial (based on a project you submitted this round – it doesn’t necessarily have to be the word/text project) and post it in the appropriate LC board.

3.) Comment on at least five projects in the current Nerd Games thread.

Multimedia:

1.) Submit a project based on a piece of media.

2.) Submit a project you completed with the help of a video tutorial, and share the link to the tutorial when you submit your project.

3.) Make separate posts for each of the two projects in the appropriate LC boards. Include at least five images of each project in the appropriate posts.

Fandom:

1.) Submit at least three projects this season that are based on/inspired by your or others’ fandoms.

2.) Create a separate post for at least one of your projects in the appropriate LC board(s).

3.) Like/heart at least 20 posts in the current Nerd Games thread.

Randomizer:

1.) Complete a random act of craftiness (whatever that means to you) and submit it as a project for the current Nerd Games season.

2.) Submit one project that might be considered “mixed media,” OR one that highlights one of your best crafting skills.

3.) Make separate posts in the appropriate LC board(s) for the two projects you completed for this event.

Nerd Bonus:

1.) Complete all five other pin events - Textbook, Wordy, Multimedia, Fandom, and Randomizer.

Pins

Once you have completed the prize requirements, send the below submission form to LovelyMiss via private message.

Prizes will be sent after the season ends.

Pin Event Submission Form

I am claiming: (Textbook, Multimedia, Wordy, Fandom, Randomizer, Nerd Bonus (To claim the Nerd Bonus, you must have completed and be claiming all of the other events))

I attest that I have completed the requirements for the Pin Event(s) I am claiming: Yes/No

My name and mailing address (as it should be formatted for sending, including country) are:

3 Likes

ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION

Each season this year, we’re having extra events to celebrate 10 years of nerdy crafting and our awesome community.

This season, we’re doing a Crafty Scavenger Hunt! You’ll receive a small physical reward if you complete the post during the current season. The Crafty Scavenger Hunt post is for the prize event only and will not earn any points. (If you use items you made this season, be sure to submit them for points!)

Crafty Scavenger Hunt

Let’s go exploring! Find 10 items the fit the following guidelines. Items must be something you made, but not necessarily this season. Find all of your images and submit them all in ONE POST in the thread. Submit the claim form after you’ve posted your finds!

1. A project you made that makes you smile.
  2. A project that was the first time you used a particular skill.
  3. A project you made that you think is weird or cool.
  4. A project you made that makes you reflect on how much you’ve grown or developed as a crafter.
  5. A project you made that starts with the first letter of your name or username.
  6. A project that uses a skill/supply/tool you don’t use often, but may like to return to again at some point.
  7. A project you think was the most time-consuming.
  8. A project you made that you gifted or created for someone else.
  9. A project you made that you didn’t think you would finish.
  10. A project you made where the final result surprised you.

Scavenger Hunt Submission Form
I attest that I have completed the requirements of the Crafty Scavenger Hunt: Yes/No

My name and mailing address (as it should be formatted for sending, including country) are:

4 Likes

Prompt: April Mooncalf
Team: Running w scissors
Project Name: polka dot mask
Project Link: A multitude of masks (slightly pic heavy) - #11 by Bunny1kenobi
Brief Description: This has spots. Everywhere.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: April Laughingstock
Project Name: fabric fetish mask
Brief Description: This is made of fabric, which I always have in stock. It matches a skirt I made a while back, though I doubt I’ll be wearing them together any time soon. It also has green on it.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: flower mask
Brief Description: Made to combat my dry eyes.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: teal mask
Brief Description: Made to combat my dry eyes. This one has different fabrics on each side.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Free Range #3
Project Name: oriental mask
Brief Description: Made to combat my dry eyes.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

The eyemasks are great! I especially love the fabric you used for the fabric fetish mask one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do love that fabric. I was glad to have enough of it left to make a mask!

3 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: 60s Mod mosaic blanket
Project Link: Sixties Mod mosaic blanket
Brief Description: I designed this blanket and finished crocheting it yesterday. I brought it over to my parents house to photograph today, and I just love how it turned out!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

It’s gorgeous! I love those vibrant colors!

1 Like

Prompt: April- Serious
Project Name: dragon bookmark
Project Link: Dragon bookmark and lettering “tutorial”
Brief Description: Dragons are serious business!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April Blockhead
Project Name: boot repair
Project Link: Bootie Tweak
Brief Description: These boots are brown.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April- Ninnyhammer
Project Name: Little Nemo bookmark
Project Link: Little Nemo bookmark
Brief Description: This bookmark is mostly blue.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: Lizard shoes
Project Link: Another footwear rehab
Brief Description: First I painted the shoes white. Then I drew the lizard and used my drawing to create a reversible pattern, which I copied to my shoes. Then I used Posca pens to finish it all off.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April Featherhead
Project Name: Endless Wonder bookmark
Project Link: Endless Wonder bookmark
Brief Description: This bookmark is lightweight.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: April Battle - Foolish
Team: Bits and Bobos
Project Name: Brioche
Project Link:
Brief Description: Dropping in to post the Battle and will have more soon! I had leftover egg yolks and tried to make brioche. I’m going with Foolish because I quickly realized I seriously under-kneaded the dough and my instant yeast was a bit of a dud. It fell apart into something like dinner rolls, but still tasted good - more like a biscuit. Whomp whomp.

Project Photo(s):

brioche - Copy

5 Likes

Prompt: April - Featherhead
Team: knotty by nature
Project Name: Rainbow Heartdrop design v1
Project Link:
Brief Description: I designed this mosaic pattern and I’m currently having it tested by several people.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Laughingstock
Project Name: Rainbow Heartdrop design v2
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made a simpler version and also wrote out the pattern for this one. The other version is chart only.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Blockhead
Project Name: Fairy Tale blanket design
Project Link:
Brief Description: Yet another design I currently have being tested. This blanket comes out to a square size.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Mooncalf
Project Name: 60s mod teardrops design
Project Link:
Brief Description: @QueenHobo has been testing this pattern for me. She’s almost done. I designed this when I designed the 60s mod blanket.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: April Battle- Foolish
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Peach crumble biscuits
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these Peach Crumble Biscuits, I foolishly turned the temp too high so the crumble caught a touch, but they are delish!

5 Likes

I’m a sucker for dinner rolls, but I love biscuits too! I beg these were yummy @LovelyMiss!

@storerboughtcreation you have become this pattern maven! I especially like the fairy tale one. I’d love to see the completed versions of all of these!

Peach crumble sounds delicious @ezrib!

4 Likes

Prompt: Serious (April Battle)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Tots ATC
Project Link: will probably add one later
Brief Description: I take my air-fried tater tots so seriously that I cleaned off some actual tot packaging to make this card for thanate’s Little Good Things theme in the Ongoing ATC Swap.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

I’m jumping back in, my fingers are itching to create more!

Prompt: April Battle - Serious
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Not so sudden hedgehog shirt
Project Link: Sublimation print shirts
Brief Description:
I can’t believe I’m picking serious, my kid says I’m never serious. But, this shirt took a lot of patient concentration, getting all those little lines traced. Also, I’m seriously happy with the result, and keep showing it to anyone I can :grin:
This is a sublimation print shirt that I made in a workshop at a sci-fi con earlier this month.
Project Photo(s):

Now I will go back and look at all the other wonderful art here.

8 Likes