CLOSED - Nerd Games - Spring 2023

Prompt: April Battle- Foolish
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Crocheted Yip Yips
Project Link: Crocheted Yip Yips - #20 by craftADDchick
Brief Description: I saw these on Repeat Crafter Me back when she originally posted them, and bought the googly eye rings immediately. But, I haven’t had much time to craft, so they sat in my bag. When I saw the ones @ezrib posted, it reminded me that I needed to make some! They are quick to make (I had to make 2, since one took under 30 minutes), and I had planned to make a bunch this weekend. But, I never transferred the package of googly eye rings from my school bag to my craft bag when I packed up for a mini craft weekend. I was already in another state when I realized! So, when I got home, I knocked out the green one. It’s a smidgen smaller because it’s made with Caron Simply Soft, instead of Red Heart Super Saver. So silly and fun!

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: April Battle - Foolish
Project Name: Ami Pumpkin
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I should have been working on my afghan, but instead, I decided to FOOLISHLY make a little pumpkin (which will also be part of this year’s ridiculous Pumpkin All The Things, one of my very foolish endeavors… I also do not, under any circumstances, NEED another little stuffed pumpkin…)
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: April Featherhead
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Tassled Tatas Vent Charm
Project Link: https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/tassled-tatas-vent-charm-v1/23378
Brief Description: I made these tassled tatas that hang by vent clip on the car vent & spin when the heat/air is on. I never know what is “family friendly” so i fuzzed it, but they aren’t graphic

6 Likes

Here’s the finished product of the blanket I’ve been making from the pattern @storerboughtcreation made up. Took forever thanks to my cat and his constant need for attention

9 Likes

Three of my testers finished over the weekend. Two others are still working on theirs, but I decided to release the pattern today. Here are the three finished blankets:

Kimberly’s Blanket

and the back of hers

Joke’s blanket:

And Susan’s blanket

The last two decided to do the blanket in tapestry mosaic. The first person did regular overlay mosaic. I love how all of them look

7 Likes

Oooh they are all awesome! I have to say the top one is my fave, though. :heart:

1 Like

Hey, @QueenHobo !!! It’s really good to see you! :+1:

And your blanket turned out really pretty!

1 Like

Prompt: Mooncalf (April)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Washi ATC 1
Project Link: Washi-base ATCs
Brief Description: One of the tapes here has black and white spots.
Project Photo(s): Righthand card in photo below
20230408_161201

Prompt: Featherhead (April)
Project Name: Washi ATC 2
Brief Description: One of these tapes features feathers.
Project Photo(s): Lefthand card in previous photo

Prompt: Laughingstock (April)
Project Name: Washi ATC 3
Brief Description: This card made me feel happier than the others did.
Project Photo(s): Lefthand card in photo below
20230408_161214

Prompt: Blockhead (April)
Project Name: Washi ATC 4
Brief Description: This card features beige/tan. (I mean, they all do, but…)
Project Photo(s): Righthand card in previous photo

Prompt: Ninnyhammer (April)
Project Name: Chicken tender nachos
Brief Description: I made nachos for dinner one night, which required an air fryer, tongs, and a meat thermometer, among other tools.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: Lilac arrangement
Brief Description: I was trimming back my lilacs a bit and decided to bring some in. Believe it or not, I have no formal training in flower arranging :laughing:.
Project Photo:

4 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #2
Project Name: embellished jacket
Project Link: My first attempt at embellished clothing
Brief Description: I bought this with the intention of embellishing this jacket for myself. But I did not try it on when I bought it, not my best moment. It does not fit me and I knew that before I started embellishing it. But my niece is really into this vibe, so she just got herself a new jacket! I will definitely do this again, but I will try the jacket on first! For more photos click the link.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: May Badminton
Team: Running w scissors
Project Name: Christmas tags
Project Link:
Brief Description: These have a lot of red.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May Lawn Bowling
Project Name: Cat notecards
Project Link: Cat quote cards…. Say it 5 times fast! 😁
Brief Description: There are 6 of these cards.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May Softball
Project Name: Crazy cat lady pocket hoop
Project Link: Crazy cat lady pocket hoop
Brief Description: This has visible stitching.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: April - Featherhead
Project Name: Failed Stained Glass
Brief Description: I picked up some stained glass suncatcher kits and was going to make them for mother’s day gifts. I got to the soldering portion and things went awry. My soldering tool was not getting hot enough and it was a frustrating mess. (I think the issue was that the tool was made for use with lead-free solder and I didn’t realize it until it was too late). After three hours on my porch trying to get it to work, I was done trying, and didn’t have enough time to get a different tool and try again. Maybe someday? I still put in a ton of time and work washing, sanding, copper taping, and planning, so I was hoping I could at least submit it for a prompt. :crazy_face: :woman_shrugging:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Mooncalf
Project Name: Greeting card
Brief Description: I joined a group that writes and sends letters and cards to people who request them all over the world. There was a special request for someone who liked Mickey Mouse. I dug through my whole stash and the Mickey thing I found was some remnant knit fabric. I did up a quick layered greeting card (with background collage paper made by Smmarrt in the Paper & Mixed Media Swap last year.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Blockhead
Project Name: Meatloaf
Brief Description: I suppose it’s brown and a bit bulky, lol.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Laughingstock
Project Name: Breakfast meeting
Brief Description: It was my turn again to bring food to a monthly breakfast meeting. I made: spinach gruyere egg bites, sweet potato skewers, blueberry scones, and fresh squeezed orange juice. It made a lot of people happy - barely any leftovers. :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Ninnyhammer
Project Name: Mother’s Day brunch
Brief Description: I made egg bites from Mother’s Day Brunch, too. I always have eggs on hand. I also thought I was doing sooooo well getting process photos, only to find I didn’t get any final-product photos, lol. I made cucumber salad, sausage mushroom egg bites, and lemon cream cheese pastries. Not pictured were roasted carrots. Whomp whomp.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May Battle - Natural Grass
Project Name: Grapefruit juice
Brief Description: I wanted to choose artificial turf - I got to pick my own bedroom flooring when I was a kid and instead of carpet I asked for green artificial turf. I loved it. Very durable and perfect for my weirdo vibe. Alas, I think fresh grapefruit juice is more natural. I had about 10 grapefruits from various CSA deliveries. I finally got to squeezing them. I did the extra step of straining because of those tiny grapefruit seeds always sneaking through.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Ultimate Frisbee
Project Name: German chocolate cake
Brief Description: Is a cake disc-shaped? The individual layers were, anyway. I made this cake completely from scratch. I had never made chocolate frosting before. So much easier than I ever knew!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Flag Football
Project Name: Taco tater
Brief Description: This is one of my comfort foods because my mom would make it as a special dinner when we were kids. It’s just taco meat topped with mashed potatoes and covered in cheese. (Simpler times, lol.) It looks gross and tastes delicious (to me anyway).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Copic wave drawing
Brief Description: I’ve been working on this on and off for a while and decided to finally call it done. I just saw a pretty picture of a wave and wanted to draw it. I think it turned out alright, not thrilled with it, though.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Card/letter writing
Brief Description: This is going to look underwhelming and also it’s been my main crafty thing the past couple of months. As I mentioned I joined a group to write letters and cards to people. Sometimes people request them for themselves, and often it’s requests on another’s behalf. Could be for birthdays, lonely seniors, folks needing encouragement, get well sentiments, etc. I have some other photos, but I ended up only going with these because I want to protect people’s privacy and information. I do a doodle in each card, along with a hand written note (or longer letter) of love or encouragement. I also tend to decorate the envelopes a bit and might include some extras inside. Based on my stamp count I have written over 50 cards the past two-ish months. I timed it a few days ago and completing a card from start to stamp takes about 45-50 minutes. I’ve been thinking about it as a Research Project since I’ve been diligently working on my handwriting, “calligraphy,” and doodling skills, refining my process for efficient card making, and trying lots of new things in the process.

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

This all looks so yummy! German chocolate cake is one of my favorite cakes, and I wish I could reach through the screen for a slice :grin: :drooling_face:

As for taco taters… when I was in middle school, a neighbor made shepherds pie that was seasoned hamburger, corn, and tomato soup all mixed together, then covered with mashed potatoes and cheese and baked to brown it. My mom got the recipe and tried it, but it was boring. I suggested cooking the meat in taco seasoning the next time, and now that’s how we always make our shepherds pie now. Your taco taters looks delicious!

4 Likes

@LovelyMiss What a bummer about the stained glass! I’ve always wanted to learn to do that.

This letter writing thing you are doing…. It’s happy mail to the Nth degree! I love it. Kindness seems harder to come by these days. I love your calligraphy practice and decorating envelopes! Great touch.

Your food looks tasty (as always) and I think your wave turned out great!

2 Likes

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: Christmas card recycle
Project Link:
Brief Description: A card and a few gift tags made from an old Christmas card.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

I forgot to create the tracking post (again… sorry!). So the tracking info is at the very end of the first post of this season. Sorry about that!

2 Likes

Hi, folks! Sorry I’ve been so absent this past year or so. I’ve been extremely stressed and busy, but I’ve got a couple of projects to share!

Prompt: May Battle - Artificial Turf
Project Name: Axolotl ATC
Project Link: 2023 ATCs (the year so far)
Brief Description: Pet axolotls tend to live in a tank with artificial grasses and things.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Blockhead
Project Name: Charjabug ATC
Project Link: See above
Brief Description: Charjabug is a pretty blocky-shaped Pokémon, and it’s on a square-ish card!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Laughingstock
Project Name: Orca ATC
Brief Description: ATCs are always meant to make someone happy, and I used only stuff from my stock for this, and it’s got a lot of green.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Ultimate Frisbee
Project Name: Michaelangelo ATC
Brief Description: TMNT has plenty of neon!
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: May Battle: Natural Grass
Project Name: Dandelion Notecards
Project Link: Dandelion Notecards
Brief Description: A coworker mentioned that her mom loved dandelions, so when I was organizing my stamp closet, and came across this dandelion stamp, I decided to turn it into a set of notecards. I could only find square envelopes, so these ended up as square cards. And, dandelions grow in natural grass!

Project Photos:

7 Likes

Prompt: May Battle- artificial turf
Project Name: Bonsai tree renewal
Project Link:
Brief Description: I really do prefer real grass, but I have a brown thumb. Which is why I like fake plants. They are the only ones I can keep alive! Case in point - I bought this bonsai tree for my husband years ago. It has been moved around enough that most of its leaves fell off. Thankfully, I was able to find them and re-glue them to the tree. Just in time to move it again as we are getting ready to relocate… again. This guy will most likely live in my office where the grandkids can’t pull any more leaves off…
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Puffin Mosaic
Project Link: Puffin Mosaic
Brief Description: I got to test this one, and it’s great. There are a few more details in the community post.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Rainbow Heartdrops Mosaic
Project Link: Rainbow Heartdrops Mosaic
Brief Description: I ended up crocheting one of my pattern creations :smiley:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Badminton
Project Name: Summertime Nommies design
Project Link:
Brief Description: I designed another blanket to be tested. It has a netting look in a few sections of the design
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes