CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2020

Welcome to the Nerd Games!

Runs July 1, 2020 - September 30, 2020

This is a craftalong where nerdy crafters all over the world can share our projects and give each other encouragement - that’s really all there is to it! If you feel you might be a nerd, or enjoy some nerdy things of any kind, or if you’re just nerdy about crafting, you’re more than welcome here!

HOW TO JOIN

Simply make any craft, take photos of it, and post them in this group with the following header, which will be explained below:

Prompt: (Write the name of the prompt you are entering your craft for here. Don’t forget to include the month!)
Team: (Choose one of four, listed below)
Project Name: (Name your craft anything you like; fanciful titles or simple labels/descriptions are all fine)
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points)
Brief Description: (Tell us anything you’d like to about the craft, such as how you made it, and why it fits the prompt .)
Project Photo(s): (Post photos of your awesome craft here, so we can ooh and aah over it!)

THE TEAMS

There are four teams to choose from, and no requirements for joining any of them; simply choose one that speaks to you, put the team name in your first project header, and presto - you’re a member! You will remain on the same team for the entire season. You may change teams in future seasons.

• Team Running with Scissors: Maybe you like to craft with fabric or paper.
  • Team Knotty by Nature: Maybe you like to knit, crochet, or macramé.
  • Team Palettable Art: Maybe you like to draw or paint. Or just love color.
  • Team Bits and Bobs: Maybe you like working with various notions, or have varied crafting interests.

THE PROMPTS

Prompts will be posted on a monthly basis in the post below. Please choose a prompt. Monthly battles are the only time sensitive prompts. The non-battle prompts are open for the entire season. See THE POINTS section below for point values and several additional crafting opportunities for each of your crafts. You can craft specifically to fit the prompts, or you can craft first and then find a prompt to fit it into. We’re pretty lax about slightly stretched interpretations of the prompts; just explain in your description how it fits!

• Monthly prompts will close at 11:59pm Central Time on the last day of the current month.

BONUS POINTS

We are trying to keep things simple, so there will only be one type of bonus point available. COMMUNITY POINTS will be given when you post a link to a post you’ve made within the Lettuce Craft community, and will be worth 20 bonus points for each project shared. Please be sure to participate in the entire community and not just in the craftalong!

THE POINTS

This competition is just for fun and the points are for nothing more than motivation and bragging rights, but go ahead and rack up points by posting projects for you team! Points break down as follows:

• Monthly battles and prompts: 20 points each (must take at least 30 minutes of crafting time)
  • Free Range: 20 points each (must take at least 30 minutes of crafting time. Up to two allowed per season)
  • Big Time projects: 50 points each (must take at least 5 hours of crafting time. Up to three allowed per season)
  • Zaps: 5 points each (any craft that takes less than 30 minutes to make. Up to five allowed per season)
  • Research Projects: 100 points (must take at least 20 hours of crafting time. Up to two per season)
  • Bonus Points: COMMUNITY bonus points (worth 20 extra per project) are the only bonus opportunity available at this time.

THE RULES

• Players must craft to the best of their abilities and have a minimum of 30 minutes of crafting time per submission, unless otherwise noted.
  • A project can only be submitted for one prompt or crafting opportunity.
  • A project does NOT have to be "nerdy,” it only has to fulfill the prompt as you see fit.
  • Submitted projects must be started and completed during the current season, unless otherwise noted.
  • There is SO MUCH to do in the Nerd Games. Do not feel like you have to craft everything. Do what inspires you.
  • We welcome all players from the Nerdyverse, no matter their Geekdom. We even welcome non-nerds!
  • We are never mean.
  • We never exclude someone.
  • We will keep it clean-ish (PG-13).
  • Never hesitate in contacting the Gamemakers (@storerboughtcreation or @Smeddley) with your questions, concerns, or ideas.
4 Likes

PROMPT PALACE

Please post your projects with the following header:
Prompt: (Write the name of the prompt you are entering your craft for here. Don’t forget to include the month!)
Team: (Choose one of four, listed below)
Project Name: (Name your craft anything you like; fanciful titles or simple labels/descriptions are all fine)
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points)
Brief Description: (Tell us anything you’d like to about the craft, such as how you made it, and why it fits the prompt .)
Project Photo(s): (Post photos of your awesome craft here, so we can ooh and aah over it!)

Battle Royale Prompt
Choose a side and craft a project to represent your choice. Must be completed within the month of issue, by 11:59 om, Central US time, on the last day of the month. Players may only submit one project per month/Battle. Battle Royale prompts are worth 20 points each and are eligible for all available Bonus Point opportunities.

• July Battle - Cultivated Borders vs Wild Native Plantings - CLOSED
  • August Battle - Sharks vs Orcas - CLOSED
  • September Battle - Hand vs Machine

Challenge Prompts
You may complete challenges at any time during the season, but you may only submit each prompt one time. Challenge prompts are worth 20 points each.

July Theme - Gardens!

• Clover - Craft something that is green, leafy, is in multiples of three or four, or is LUCKY!
  • Creeping Ivy - Craft something that is ropy, or long and thin, or that winds around something
  • Flowers - Craft something that is colorful, or fragrant, or is soft and/or has “petals”
  • Shrubbery - Craft something that is bushy, or course/scratchy, or that is sturdy
  • Tall grasses - Craft something that is tall and willowy, uses/made with “blades”, or “hides/screens” something.

August Theme - Sharks!

• Hammerhead Shark - Craft something that requires the use of tools, or is odd looking but functional
  • Great White Shark - Craft something that is physically large, or intimidating, or just all around “great”
  • Nurse Shark - Craft something that is useful when sick, or for first aid, or is being given to someone else
  • Bull Shark - Craft something that is useful in multiple places (since Bull Sharks can swim in salt and fresh water!)
  • Tiger Shark - Craft something with stripes, or something that requires strength or tenacity to finish

September Theme - Sewing Month!

• Bobbin Thread - Craft something that’s useful “under the table” or “unseen”, or something that is wound, or made with thread
  • Sewing Needle - Craft something that is made of metal, is sharp, or is long and thin
  • Seam Ripper - Craft a project that took more than one try, or was a complete and utter failure (it’s fine to post an unfinished project here that you’ve given up on, as long as you sunk enough time into it already!)
  • Tailor’s Chalk - Craft something that required drafting, sketching, or other type of physical pre-planning. Or something with chalk!
  • Iron - Craft something that requires meticulous ironing, flattening, heat, or is heavy.
3 Likes

SUMMER BINGO FUN

This summer’s special event is BINGO! In a nutshell, it works like this:

• Pick a bingo card
  • Match up projects to the spaces
  • Claim points
  • Get 10 points and win a prize!

The bingo cards!

Match up projects to the spaces!
These are not EXTRA prompts, you can use the projects you submit for the regular Nerd Games Battles, Monthly Prompts, Big Time, Research Projects, and even projects you DO NOT submit for other Nerd Game Prompts. Projects can only count ONCE towards ONE bingo card space on ONE bingo card only. Must be crafted between July 1, 2020 and September 30, 2020.

Claim points!
How do you bingo? There are 5 bingo options:

• single line bingo - one line, 3 points
  • double line bingo - two lines, 4 points
  • outside border - all the spaces around the outside, 6 points
  • postage stamp - the four spaces in any corner, 2 points
  • blackout - all the spaces - 10 points

Claim your prize!
What are the prizes? I honestly have no idea YET, but I’ll do my best to make it worth it! To claim your prize, make a post with your completed card and links to the projects (or just pictures/descriptions of the projects you use to fulfill the prompts) and msg me! I’ll need an address to send your prize to.

I’m sure there will be more questions and I’m not explaining everything (it’s already been a long week and I’m tired and not thinking straight), so ask away (here or in a private message) and I will clarify anything that is confusing.

Happy Crafting!

5 Likes

Tracking and Teams

This is where you can view the team roster and see what you’ve completed so far this season. To view your checklist, find your name under your team and click on it. You will be taken directly to your checklist.

Please don’t hesitate to message me if you see a project is missing from your checklist after the most recent tracking update is posted.

Teams

3 Likes

Prompt: July Battle - Cultivated Borders
Team: Team Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Choi Fish Tsumami-ga
Project Link: Choi Fish Tsumami-ga
Brief Description: I love water gardens, and feel like they are usually cultivated more than wild. :3 Also, fish!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Beautiful fish, I love the way you present your work :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Wow, those are GORGEOUS!

1 Like

Prompt: Wild Native Plantings (July Battle)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: 101 Dalmatians Altered Coloring Page
Project Link: 101 Dalmatians Altered Coloring Page
Brief Description: Created as part of the challenge chain. It is surely the wildest thing I’ve ever crafted :laughing:.
Project Photo(s):
20200705_185403

4 Likes

Prompt: July - Battle - Cultivated Borders
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Hearts in a row (round?)
Project Link: Hearts in a row biscornu
Brief Description: These are in a row, like a nicely cultivated garden.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

@megwell I suppose even hyena-dogs need love, and this one looks friendly, in the hyena crazy type of way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
@storerboughtcreation pretty biscornu, like a rose garden of hearts :heart:

1 Like

@appledainty, I really love your style! You must have a lot of patience to make all of those tiny components! How big is each fish?

@megwell, I never thought to alter a coloring book page, but I love how yours came out! Such a fun image!

@storerboughtcreation, another beautiful biscornu! I love everything about this one, right down to the red heart button- the perfect finishing touch! I hope that your finger is healing well!

1 Like

Prompt: July Clover
Team: RWS
Project Name: mini plate of cookies
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this to go with kittykill’s tea cabinet (which is coming up…)! There are 6 cookies on the plate, a multiple of 3. I made the cookies and the plate.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July Flowers
Project Name: poison bottle tea towel
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for kittykill’s Swap package. It’s colorful!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July Tall Grasses
Project Name: mini tea cabinet
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for kittykill. I used a blade to make it. I used a blade A LOT. I’m especially proud of the drawers and door that open! I had to tweak the pattern quite a bit to make that work.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: July - creeping ivy
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Toy dinosaur
Project Link:
Brief Description: This little dinosaur is about as tall as my thumb. He has a long rope tied around his neck so he can be dragged along behind a doll (which I will be making later)
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

@megwell
Ha, that certainly is wild, but it’s good to stretch ourselves creatively now and then, well done!

@storerboughtcreation
Love the embroidery, as always, amazingly done! And the little dino is adorable, can’t wait to see him with the doll!

@Bunny1kenobi
Oh my goodness, mini things! Love the mini things. All the mini things! So cute! The tea towl embroidery is spectacular, as well.

2 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Caprisun the Octopus
Project Link: Caprisun the Giant Octopus
Brief Description: This guy is MASSIVE and took me about a week to make. But I love him and am very excited about the outcome
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

@QueenHobo OMG I LOVE HIM!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

He is awesome!! :heart:

1 Like

these are gorgeous

ha this is hilarious

you are so good at these!

I love the tea cabinet and all the minis!

Only a week? That’s impressive!

I have not posted a lot in the past 2-3 weeks but I have been crafting up a storm.

Prompt: July Battle - Wild Native Plantings
Team: Team Palettable Art
Project Name: An Early Art Journal
Project Link: An Early Art Journal
Brief Description: I chose the Wild Native Plantings for the July battle as I like to paint outside the lines! lol. This is one of my earlier art journals that I dug out and finished in the past couple weeks.
Project Photo(s):
project links shows a LOT more pics

Prompt: July - Flowers
Project Name: Art Journal Pages
Project Link: Art Journal Pages
Brief Description: I chose the prompt Flowers as my journal pages are really colorful.Project Photo(s):
More pics on the project link

Prompt: July - Tall grasses
Project Name: Altered Coffee Filters
Project Link: Altered Coffee Filters
Brief Description: I chose the prompt Tall grasses as these altered coffee filters are meant to tuck in journal cards/tags
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Clover
Project Name: A bunch of ATCs
Project Link: A bunch of ATCs
Brief Description: I chose the prompt Clover as I made quite a few of the ATCs and mini art in sets or batches.
Project Photo(s):
lots more pics in the project link
(I can’t count :slight_smile: )

Prompt: July - Shrubbery
Project Name: 2 small pouches
Project Link: 2 small pouches
Brief Description: I chose the prompt Shrubbery as the pouches are sturdy - at least I hope they are!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Creeping Ivy
Project Name: Crocheted Dishcloths
Project Link: Crocheted Dishcloths
Brief Description: I chose the prompt Creeping Ivy as the dishcloths used “long ropy” yarn that I winded around a crochet hook!
Project Photo(s): image

Prompt: July - Free Range
Project Name: More Foam Stamps
Project Link: More Foam Stamps
Brief Description:stamps made from fun foam
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Only took a week cause I have no life :sweat_smile:

3 Likes