CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2020

Fred is adorable!!! :fox_face: :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Prompt: September Battle - Hand
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Torii magnet
Project Link: Magnets for Swap
Brief Description: I made this shrine gate magnet for @EriChanHime in the Magnet swap. :slight_smile: I like machine projects too, but I still mostly work by hand (except for masks… so many masks…!).
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Koinobori Magnet
Project Link: same as above
Brief Description: I also made this magnet for the Fridge Magnet Swap. It required scissors and a needle to make. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Seam Ripper
Project Name: Inari Magnet
Project Link: same as above
Brief Description: Another magnet swap magnet. This was my first time using FIMO in decades, and it took SO many tries!!
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

@gozer Fred is soooo dashing! I love him! And the sloth is so stinking cute! Not surprised that @storerboughtcreation loves it!

Awesome magnets, too @roler!

1 Like

Prompt: September - Tailor’s Chalk
Project Name: Otter Plushie
Project Link: Otter Plushie
Brief Description: I made this otter plushie for grenouille78 in the Creature Comfort Stuffie Swap. It required printing out and tracing around an actual PATTERN. I pretty much NEVER use patterns! This is amazing!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Adorable! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Prompt: Research Project #2
Project Name: Victor Frog
Project Link: Victor Frog
Brief Description: I have been working on this frog for so long, but thanks to SBC’s help, I finally finished him!! More photos of him with and without his shorts (scandalous!) at the link.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

too cute!

Prompt: September Battle: Hand
Team: Palattable Art
Project Name: Hector, the 3D Cave Painting Stuffie
Brief Description: Everything on Hector was hand-sewn and most was made from recycled materials. He was inspired by a cool cave painting picture!

Project Photos:

6 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Gobble til you Wobble cross stitch
Project Link: Gobble til you Wobble cross stitch
Brief Description: I stitched this up to celebrate fall. Summer is nearly over, and I can’t wait! Monkey wouldn’t let me take a photo of this without him in it. Silly cat.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Plaid Pumpkins for @TheMistressT
Project Link: Pumpkins in plaid
Brief Description: I made these pumpkins for a personal swap. I love this pattern so much! :heart:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Sewing Needle
Project Name: Pumpkins for @Bunny1kenobi
Project Link: Pumpkins in plaid
Brief Description: Also made for a personal trade. The pumpkin on the right qualifies as a research project, but I’ve already used up all of my slots. I used crochet thread and a 1.3mm hook to crochet this. I love how it turned out!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

I love them so much! The crochet cotton one is soooo cool! My daughter claimed it and it looks so good with her Halloween stuff, I couldn’t say no! :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Prompt: August – Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Rake Wreath
Project Link: Rake Wreath
Brief Description: My last name is Rakes, so I had to make it. This project definitely required a tool, a rake, to complete. Ha! Now I need to find one more rake head for a Christmas themed one.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

That’s really neat!

1 Like

OK so I just finished this craft and I am seriously SO excited about it that I can’t wait to post, even though I know I should wait 'til daylight tomorrow so I can take better pictures. So I’ll make a standalone post for him later, but for now I just have to share! ETA: Post is posted! Sunny pictures with better light at the link! XD

Prompt: Big Time (he’d actually count as a research project, both in terms of Nerd Games rules and literally, because I had to learn so many new techniques to make him; thanks SBC!!)
Project Name: James Duck
Project Link: James Duck
Brief Description: The pattern for this handsome fellow is in “Animal Friends of Pica Pau 2,” the sequel to the book with the frog pattern in it that I used before. I just LOVE this creator’s patterns and seriously want to make ALL THE ANIMALS! I think after all these years I finally caught the crochet bug from @storeboughtcreation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Teeny tiny unicorn
Project Link: Teeny tiny unicorn
Brief Description: I stitched this up in about an hour. So technically it’s not a zap, but that’s the only prompt I have left available to craft for. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

And my fingernail to show size

6 Likes

Prompt: September - Sewing Needle
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: star charm bracelet
Project Link:
Brief Description: not only is it made of metal, but the little stars are also pointy and a bit sharp.
Project Photo(s):
sbmfmfupfsa

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: creepy doll ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: made for the ATC swap
Project Photo(s):
2009cladfthekl

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: bird ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: Blurred because it has not been received yet.
Project Photo(s):

2009aslerfthoi

3 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: Halloween towels
Project Link:
Brief Description: My DIL requested these towels a couple of months ago. It took me a while to get them done…a bit longer than expected, even, since my silhouette machine decided to go on strike midway through cutting all my stencils! :weary: But after a significant amount of fussing, things were moving along nicely again.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Project Name: tiny umbrella
Project Link:
Brief Description: I stitched this up tonight… I need one more project to get a blackout bingo card!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

What a cute little umbrella!
I’m totally ready for a bit of rain.

3 Likes

Prompt: September Seam Ripper
Project Name: Red Panda head fail
Project Link: Ruby Red Panda
Brief Description: I was learning some new techniques and this red panda head did not turn out. It’s snout wasn’t shaped right. It was like a big poof and the eyes were too far apart and I got a bunch of glue on the front of one of the ears so it was rock hard. Big time fail. I changed the color on the next attempt too. That’s Yeti Pegleg in the pic, and yes, this is how I work. LOL!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research project
Project Name: Ruby the Red Panda
Project Link: Ruby Red Panda
Brief Description: This one took me forever. I mean FOREVER! I had to redo so many things. I learned a lot though. I learned how to fluff them up, fade from one color to the next, how to do whiskers, and this layering technique for the tail. Whew. Glad she is done but I am glad I took the challenge. I also had to free hand a pattern for her purse. Kwality570 made the scarf.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

So, I had some much bigger projects planned for the summer games, but life has been a kick in the head. I did however get a lot of smaller projects finished, so here’s a dump!

Prompt: July- Clover
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Yet Another Easy Dishcloth
Project Link: More Easy Dishcloths!
Brief Description: Another car trip (to Vermont for the Cheese Hunt) prompted yet another dishcloth! I really love this pattern because I barely have to pay attention. We’re doing another couple of regions of the hunt next month, so I’m sure there will be more dishcloths coming :slight_smile: It fits the prompt because I have 4 stripes of orange.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July- Creeping Ivy
Project Name: ATC or Journal Sentiments
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: In the Happy Mail Swap, my partner Reinikka loves to make ATCs. I had recently picked up a booklet with a bunch of little sentiments, so I picked out my favorites, printed them out in 2 versions of black and white, ran them through the Xyron, then cut them apart. Some may be a bit big (some are longer) for ATCs, but they could be used for journals, too!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Llama Die-Cuts for ATCs
Brief Description: During some recent organizing, I cam across a llama stamp set with coordinating dies, so I cut out a bunch of them for Reinikka in the Happy Mail Swap. I colored one set but left the rest black. I was inspired by her Chicken ATCs. I used my dies and a Big Shot, which are both crafting tools.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Nurse Shark
Project Name: Embossed Tissue Stamp Images
Project Link: Coming this weekend
Brief Description: Here’s another item for the Happy Mail Swap! These were made using facial tissues and were given to my partner Reinikka! I was really impressed by how well the tissue captured the detail on the stamps.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September- Seam Ripper
Project Name: Faux Vintage Floral Postage Stamps
Brief Description: In keeping with the items for ATCs theme, I decided to create some faux postage stamps. I found a free file, and dug out my decorative edge scissors. But, only after I cut them all apart, did I realize that I had held the scissors the wrong way and got a mini scalloped edge (top stamp), instead of the more “pointy” look I was hoping for (bottom stamps). Fortunately, I had printed a second copy so I could make myself a set, so I put the incorrect ones aside (I’ll need to trim them closer to the image, but they’ll work), and cut out a second set.

Project Photo(s):

The proper set (I ran them through the Xyron to turn them into stickers):

Prompt: September-Tailor’s Chalk
Project Name: Herb ATC
Project Link: Sage ATC for geekgirl
Brief Description: I made this for geekgirl in a personal swap. I had a hard time getting the layout right. Also, I had to trace out each of the little flowers to get them to be the right shape. I arranged it, took a photo of it, and then rearranged it. I still needed to fix it one more time before I was happy with it.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Jellyfish ATC
Project Link: Jellyfish (in paper)
Brief Description: I created this for Reinikka in the Happy Mail Swap. She loves jellyfish! I used vellum for the top of the jellyfish

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Jellyfish Envelope
Project Link: Jellyfish (in paper)
Brief Description: This is the envelope I decorated for Reinikka in the Happy Mail Swap. I created it with some sketches, stencils, and paint.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Paper Punched Masterboard Elements for ATCs
Brief Description: For the Happy Mail Swap, I gathered up a collection of some of my smaller punches along with some masterboard scraps. I punched out as many shapes as I could from each piece.

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes