CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2020

Prompt: September Battle: Hand
Team: Palattable Art
Project Name: Hector, the 3D Cave Painting Stuffie
Brief Description: Everything on Hector was hand-sewn and most was made from recycled materials. He was inspired by a cool cave painting picture!

Project Photos:

6 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Gobble til you Wobble cross stitch
Project Link: Gobble til you Wobble cross stitch
Brief Description: I stitched this up to celebrate fall. Summer is nearly over, and I can’t wait! Monkey wouldn’t let me take a photo of this without him in it. Silly cat.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Plaid Pumpkins for @TheMistressT
Project Link: Pumpkins in plaid
Brief Description: I made these pumpkins for a personal swap. I love this pattern so much! :heart:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Sewing Needle
Project Name: Pumpkins for @Bunny1kenobi
Project Link: Pumpkins in plaid
Brief Description: Also made for a personal trade. The pumpkin on the right qualifies as a research project, but I’ve already used up all of my slots. I used crochet thread and a 1.3mm hook to crochet this. I love how it turned out!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

I love them so much! The crochet cotton one is soooo cool! My daughter claimed it and it looks so good with her Halloween stuff, I couldn’t say no! :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Prompt: August – Hammerhead Shark
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Rake Wreath
Project Link: Rake Wreath
Brief Description: My last name is Rakes, so I had to make it. This project definitely required a tool, a rake, to complete. Ha! Now I need to find one more rake head for a Christmas themed one.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

That’s really neat!

1 Like

OK so I just finished this craft and I am seriously SO excited about it that I can’t wait to post, even though I know I should wait 'til daylight tomorrow so I can take better pictures. So I’ll make a standalone post for him later, but for now I just have to share! ETA: Post is posted! Sunny pictures with better light at the link! XD

Prompt: Big Time (he’d actually count as a research project, both in terms of Nerd Games rules and literally, because I had to learn so many new techniques to make him; thanks SBC!!)
Project Name: James Duck
Project Link: James Duck
Brief Description: The pattern for this handsome fellow is in “Animal Friends of Pica Pau 2,” the sequel to the book with the frog pattern in it that I used before. I just LOVE this creator’s patterns and seriously want to make ALL THE ANIMALS! I think after all these years I finally caught the crochet bug from @storeboughtcreation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Teeny tiny unicorn
Project Link: Teeny tiny unicorn
Brief Description: I stitched this up in about an hour. So technically it’s not a zap, but that’s the only prompt I have left available to craft for. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

And my fingernail to show size

6 Likes

Prompt: September - Sewing Needle
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: star charm bracelet
Project Link:
Brief Description: not only is it made of metal, but the little stars are also pointy and a bit sharp.
Project Photo(s):
sbmfmfupfsa

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: creepy doll ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: made for the ATC swap
Project Photo(s):
2009cladfthekl

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: bird ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: Blurred because it has not been received yet.
Project Photo(s):

2009aslerfthoi

3 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: Halloween towels
Project Link:
Brief Description: My DIL requested these towels a couple of months ago. It took me a while to get them done…a bit longer than expected, even, since my silhouette machine decided to go on strike midway through cutting all my stencils! :weary: But after a significant amount of fussing, things were moving along nicely again.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Project Name: tiny umbrella
Project Link:
Brief Description: I stitched this up tonight… I need one more project to get a blackout bingo card!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

What a cute little umbrella!
I’m totally ready for a bit of rain.

3 Likes

Prompt: September Seam Ripper
Project Name: Red Panda head fail
Project Link: Ruby Red Panda
Brief Description: I was learning some new techniques and this red panda head did not turn out. It’s snout wasn’t shaped right. It was like a big poof and the eyes were too far apart and I got a bunch of glue on the front of one of the ears so it was rock hard. Big time fail. I changed the color on the next attempt too. That’s Yeti Pegleg in the pic, and yes, this is how I work. LOL!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research project
Project Name: Ruby the Red Panda
Project Link: Ruby Red Panda
Brief Description: This one took me forever. I mean FOREVER! I had to redo so many things. I learned a lot though. I learned how to fluff them up, fade from one color to the next, how to do whiskers, and this layering technique for the tail. Whew. Glad she is done but I am glad I took the challenge. I also had to free hand a pattern for her purse. Kwality570 made the scarf.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

So, I had some much bigger projects planned for the summer games, but life has been a kick in the head. I did however get a lot of smaller projects finished, so here’s a dump!

Prompt: July- Clover
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Yet Another Easy Dishcloth
Project Link: More Easy Dishcloths!
Brief Description: Another car trip (to Vermont for the Cheese Hunt) prompted yet another dishcloth! I really love this pattern because I barely have to pay attention. We’re doing another couple of regions of the hunt next month, so I’m sure there will be more dishcloths coming :slight_smile: It fits the prompt because I have 4 stripes of orange.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July- Creeping Ivy
Project Name: ATC or Journal Sentiments
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: In the Happy Mail Swap, my partner Reinikka loves to make ATCs. I had recently picked up a booklet with a bunch of little sentiments, so I picked out my favorites, printed them out in 2 versions of black and white, ran them through the Xyron, then cut them apart. Some may be a bit big (some are longer) for ATCs, but they could be used for journals, too!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Llama Die-Cuts for ATCs
Brief Description: During some recent organizing, I cam across a llama stamp set with coordinating dies, so I cut out a bunch of them for Reinikka in the Happy Mail Swap. I colored one set but left the rest black. I was inspired by her Chicken ATCs. I used my dies and a Big Shot, which are both crafting tools.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Nurse Shark
Project Name: Embossed Tissue Stamp Images
Project Link: Coming this weekend
Brief Description: Here’s another item for the Happy Mail Swap! These were made using facial tissues and were given to my partner Reinikka! I was really impressed by how well the tissue captured the detail on the stamps.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September- Seam Ripper
Project Name: Faux Vintage Floral Postage Stamps
Brief Description: In keeping with the items for ATCs theme, I decided to create some faux postage stamps. I found a free file, and dug out my decorative edge scissors. But, only after I cut them all apart, did I realize that I had held the scissors the wrong way and got a mini scalloped edge (top stamp), instead of the more “pointy” look I was hoping for (bottom stamps). Fortunately, I had printed a second copy so I could make myself a set, so I put the incorrect ones aside (I’ll need to trim them closer to the image, but they’ll work), and cut out a second set.

Project Photo(s):

The proper set (I ran them through the Xyron to turn them into stickers):

Prompt: September-Tailor’s Chalk
Project Name: Herb ATC
Project Link: Sage ATC for geekgirl
Brief Description: I made this for geekgirl in a personal swap. I had a hard time getting the layout right. Also, I had to trace out each of the little flowers to get them to be the right shape. I arranged it, took a photo of it, and then rearranged it. I still needed to fix it one more time before I was happy with it.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Jellyfish ATC
Project Link: Jellyfish (in paper)
Brief Description: I created this for Reinikka in the Happy Mail Swap. She loves jellyfish! I used vellum for the top of the jellyfish

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Jellyfish Envelope
Project Link: Jellyfish (in paper)
Brief Description: This is the envelope I decorated for Reinikka in the Happy Mail Swap. I created it with some sketches, stencils, and paint.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Paper Punched Masterboard Elements for ATCs
Brief Description: For the Happy Mail Swap, I gathered up a collection of some of my smaller punches along with some masterboard scraps. I punched out as many shapes as I could from each piece.

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

@roler I want to see you make them all! I love this guy and the frog too!

1 Like

Ruby is adorable! :slight_smile:

Ooo! Love the llamas and the festive dishcloth! :slight_smile: :jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

Prompt: Tiger Shark (August)
Project Name: Art Journal
Project Link: Basic Starter Art Journal from a Grocery Bag
Brief Description: I made this art journal from a paper bag and stapled it together. The stapling required tenacity because my stapler kept either bending the staples sideways rather than forcing them down or forcing them down but only through a few layers :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Project Photo(s):
20200923_171534

4 Likes

I don’t have anything I can put this under for this season (I only have zaps left, and this definitely isn’t a zap. It I would qualify as several research projects based on time). But I still wanted to share it here. I love how it turned out!

6 Likes

So colorful! Love how the black fabric makes the colors pop! :slight_smile: :whale2:

I’m down to two last prompts and zaps too. I’m submitting projects with the zaps anyway even though the projects are not less than 30 minutes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow! that is fantastic!

1 Like

Twinchies are 2" x 2" artworks. :slight_smile:

These twinchies are for a whimsical theme. And one of the whimsical things I thought would be fun was to have the main ‘leaves’ to be the four card suits.

Prompt: September - Seam Ripper
Project Name: twinchie #2
Project Link:
Brief Description: I ruined the inking of one of these twinchies so I had to start over and completely redo it. (I have a single photo, but each twinchie took at least 30 minutes to sketch, ink, color, paint so I’m re-using the same photo for different prompts.)
Project Photo(s):
twftngbcg

Prompt: Zap #3
Project Name: twinchie #3
Project Link:
Brief Description: (I have a single photo, so I’m re-using the same photo for different prompts.) I ran out of prompts to use, so using a zap for this one even though each twinchie took at least 30 minutes to sketch, ink, color, paint.
Project Photo(s):
twftngbcg

Prompt: Zap #4
Project Name: twinchie #4
Project Link:
Brief Description: (I have a single photo, so I’m re-using the same photo for different prompts.) I ran out of prompts to use, so using a zap for this one even though each twinchie took at least 30 minutes to sketch, ink, color, paint.
Project Photo(s):
twftngbcg

Prompt: Zap #5
Project Name: twinchie #1
Project Link:
Project Photo(s):
twftngbcg

And then these last two that I don’t have a prompt for, but using for the bingo game so am just adding here. I did these (calvin and hobbes) to practice the inking style of this comic strip. ATC size (2.5" by 3.5")

chmasbfbg

chmawbfbg

2 Likes