CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2020

What a cute little umbrella!
I’m totally ready for a bit of rain.

3 Likes

Prompt: September Seam Ripper
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Red Panda head fail
Project Link: Ruby Red Panda
Brief Description: I was learning some new techniques and this red panda head did not turn out. It’s snout wasn’t shaped right. It was like a big poof and the eyes were too far apart and I got a bunch of glue on the front of one of the ears so it was rock hard. Big time fail. I changed the color on the next attempt too. That’s Yeti Pegleg in the pic, and yes, this is how I work. LOL!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research project
Project Name: Ruby the Red Panda
Project Link: Ruby Red Panda
Brief Description: This one took me forever. I mean FOREVER! I had to redo so many things. I learned a lot though. I learned how to fluff them up, fade from one color to the next, how to do whiskers, and this layering technique for the tail. Whew. Glad she is done but I am glad I took the challenge. I also had to free hand a pattern for her purse. Kwality570 made the scarf.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

So, I had some much bigger projects planned for the summer games, but life has been a kick in the head. I did however get a lot of smaller projects finished, so here’s a dump!

Prompt: July- Clover
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Yet Another Easy Dishcloth
Project Link: More Easy Dishcloths!
Brief Description: Another car trip (to Vermont for the Cheese Hunt) prompted yet another dishcloth! I really love this pattern because I barely have to pay attention. We’re doing another couple of regions of the hunt next month, so I’m sure there will be more dishcloths coming :slight_smile: It fits the prompt because I have 4 stripes of orange.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July- Creeping Ivy
Project Name: ATC or Journal Sentiments
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: In the Happy Mail Swap, my partner Reinikka loves to make ATCs. I had recently picked up a booklet with a bunch of little sentiments, so I picked out my favorites, printed them out in 2 versions of black and white, ran them through the Xyron, then cut them apart. Some may be a bit big (some are longer) for ATCs, but they could be used for journals, too!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Llama Die-Cuts for ATCs
Brief Description: During some recent organizing, I cam across a llama stamp set with coordinating dies, so I cut out a bunch of them for Reinikka in the Happy Mail Swap. I colored one set but left the rest black. I was inspired by her Chicken ATCs. I used my dies and a Big Shot, which are both crafting tools.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Nurse Shark
Project Name: Embossed Tissue Stamp Images
Project Link: Coming this weekend
Brief Description: Here’s another item for the Happy Mail Swap! These were made using facial tissues and were given to my partner Reinikka! I was really impressed by how well the tissue captured the detail on the stamps.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September- Seam Ripper
Project Name: Faux Vintage Floral Postage Stamps
Brief Description: In keeping with the items for ATCs theme, I decided to create some faux postage stamps. I found a free file, and dug out my decorative edge scissors. But, only after I cut them all apart, did I realize that I had held the scissors the wrong way and got a mini scalloped edge (top stamp), instead of the more “pointy” look I was hoping for (bottom stamps). Fortunately, I had printed a second copy so I could make myself a set, so I put the incorrect ones aside (I’ll need to trim them closer to the image, but they’ll work), and cut out a second set.

Project Photo(s):

The proper set (I ran them through the Xyron to turn them into stickers):

Prompt: September-Tailor’s Chalk
Project Name: Herb ATC
Project Link: Sage ATC for geekgirl
Brief Description: I made this for geekgirl in a personal swap. I had a hard time getting the layout right. Also, I had to trace out each of the little flowers to get them to be the right shape. I arranged it, took a photo of it, and then rearranged it. I still needed to fix it one more time before I was happy with it.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Jellyfish ATC
Project Link: Jellyfish (in paper)
Brief Description: I created this for Reinikka in the Happy Mail Swap. She loves jellyfish! I used vellum for the top of the jellyfish

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Jellyfish Envelope
Project Link: Jellyfish (in paper)
Brief Description: This is the envelope I decorated for Reinikka in the Happy Mail Swap. I created it with some sketches, stencils, and paint.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Paper Punched Masterboard Elements for ATCs
Brief Description: For the Happy Mail Swap, I gathered up a collection of some of my smaller punches along with some masterboard scraps. I punched out as many shapes as I could from each piece.

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

@roler I want to see you make them all! I love this guy and the frog too!

1 Like

Ruby is adorable! :slight_smile:

Ooo! Love the llamas and the festive dishcloth! :slight_smile: :jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

Prompt: Tiger Shark (August)
Project Name: Art Journal
Project Link: Basic Starter Art Journal from a Grocery Bag
Brief Description: I made this art journal from a paper bag and stapled it together. The stapling required tenacity because my stapler kept either bending the staples sideways rather than forcing them down or forcing them down but only through a few layers :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Project Photo(s):
20200923_171534

4 Likes

I don’t have anything I can put this under for this season (I only have zaps left, and this definitely isn’t a zap. It I would qualify as several research projects based on time). But I still wanted to share it here. I love how it turned out!

6 Likes

So colorful! Love how the black fabric makes the colors pop! :slight_smile: :whale2:

I’m down to two last prompts and zaps too. I’m submitting projects with the zaps anyway even though the projects are not less than 30 minutes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow! that is fantastic!

1 Like

Twinchies are 2" x 2" artworks. :slight_smile:

These twinchies are for a whimsical theme. And one of the whimsical things I thought would be fun was to have the main ‘leaves’ to be the four card suits.

Prompt: September - Seam Ripper
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: twinchie #2
Project Link:
Brief Description: I ruined the inking of one of these twinchies so I had to start over and completely redo it. (I have a single photo, but each twinchie took at least 30 minutes to sketch, ink, color, paint so I’m re-using the same photo for different prompts.)
Project Photo(s):
twftngbcg

Prompt: Zap #3
Project Name: twinchie #3
Project Link:
Brief Description: (I have a single photo, so I’m re-using the same photo for different prompts.) I ran out of prompts to use, so using a zap for this one even though each twinchie took at least 30 minutes to sketch, ink, color, paint.
Project Photo(s):
twftngbcg

Prompt: Zap #4
Project Name: twinchie #4
Project Link:
Brief Description: (I have a single photo, so I’m re-using the same photo for different prompts.) I ran out of prompts to use, so using a zap for this one even though each twinchie took at least 30 minutes to sketch, ink, color, paint.
Project Photo(s):
twftngbcg

Prompt: Zap #5
Project Name: twinchie #1
Project Link:
Project Photo(s):
twftngbcg

And then these last two that I don’t have a prompt for, but using for the bingo game so am just adding here. I did these (calvin and hobbes) to practice the inking style of this comic strip. ATC size (2.5" by 3.5")

chmasbfbg

chmawbfbg

2 Likes

@Smeddley - here are my bingo cards! :blush:

CARD #7:
double line bingo - two lines, 4 points
postage stamp - the four spaces in any corner, 2 points
=6 points total

CARD #2
double line bingo - two lines, 4 points
= 4 points total

Grand total = 10 points!

OK, here are all the project posts:

all twinchies and both C&H ATCs:

SQUARE - twinchie #1 – twinchies are square!
SUMMER - twinchie #4 – this twinchie reminds me of summer with the blue skies and the large number of leaves on the tree.
FALL - twinchie #2 – the colors of this one remind me of fall
WATER - C&H filling a water balloon
SNOW - Calvin making snowballs

creepy doll and robin:

KEYS - creepy doll ATC - she has a key around her neck!
FEATHERS - a robin has feathers!

pumpkins and mail art/cemetery things:

ORANGE - pumpkin stack ATC - pumpkins are orange!
SUN - cemetery mail art envelope - this art has a sun setting on the horizen.
FRIVOLOUS/FUN - RIP notecards - these rest in peace cards are silly and fun. :slight_smile:
WHITE - bride of Frankenstein ATC - she has white streaks in her hair
GREY - halloween/cemetery stickers - some of these stickers use a lot of grey
BLUE - cemetery bookmark - the sky is blue

hello kitty ATC:

CAT - Hello Kitty is a cat!

ATC coins:

SOFT - kitty and birdie ATC coins - both kitties and birdies are soft!
YELLOW - kwality coin - This coin features a yellow tummy and horns!

wren ATC:

GRAPHITE/COLOR PENCILS - This wren card was made using both graphite and color pencils

atc trio:

PENS/MARKERS - trio of ATCs, these cards were made with pens & markers

1 Like

Prompt: Zap
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Tiny mouse
Project Link:
Brief Description: This took me longer than a half hour to complete, but not by much. Its so tiny!
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

That is so CUTE! :mouse:

2 Likes

I got a black out! 10 points!

Each link should take you to the project that fits for the space. If you need me to clarify why something fits, I’d be happy to do so! :blush:

Here’s the card with the specific projects listed

3 Likes

Prompt: Iron (September)
Project Name: Chocolate Stout Brownies
Project Link: Chocolate Stout Brownies
Brief Description: These brownies required heat both for the baking and for boiling down the beer to create a concentrate (pictured).
Project Photo(s):
20200925_163454

3 Likes

Prompt: September- Iron
Project Name: Sailboat Test Block
Project Link: Sailboat Block
Brief Description: I made this sample block to show my mom how to assemble it. She didn’t have a pattern, just a photo. I had to iron all of the fabric, plus iron the seams.

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: September Big Time Project (3rd for the season)
Team: Team Palettable Art
Project Name: Northern Lights Hoopla
Project Link: Northern Lights Hoopla
Brief Description: The northern lights in thread
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

I’m in awe every time I see this piece. the reflections on the water are amazing, and the background fabric was a great choice :mountain:

1 Like

Prompt: July - Creeping Ivy
Project Name: RBG Collars
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made over 40 lace RBG collars for Olympia Indivisible’s “Ruth Sent Us” rally tomorrow. It’ll be a socially distance event to celebrate the memory of Ruth Bader Ginsburg and speak up in defense of democracy.
Project Photo(s):

This is just a few of them.

My dad helped model one too. We hope to have plenty of people show up at the rally to wear them!

7 Likes

Prompt: August Theme - Tiger Shark
Project Name: Phoenix Kimono Remake Dress
Project Link: Phoenix Kimono Remake Dress & Clutch Purse
Brief Description: My first kimono remake project. I turned a 100+ year antique kimono into a new dress. It took a lot of tenacity to finish, as I am not a confident sewer and did this entire project by hand.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes