CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2020

Prompt: Zap
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Tiny mouse
Project Link:
Brief Description: This took me longer than a half hour to complete, but not by much. Its so tiny!
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

That is so CUTE! :mouse:

2 Likes

I got a black out! 10 points!

Each link should take you to the project that fits for the space. If you need me to clarify why something fits, I’d be happy to do so! :blush:

Here’s the card with the specific projects listed

3 Likes

Prompt: Iron (September)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Chocolate Stout Brownies
Project Link: Chocolate Stout Brownies
Brief Description: These brownies required heat both for the baking and for boiling down the beer to create a concentrate (pictured).
Project Photo(s):
20200925_163454

3 Likes

Prompt: September- Iron
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Sailboat Test Block
Project Link: Sailboat Block
Brief Description: I made this sample block to show my mom how to assemble it. She didn’t have a pattern, just a photo. I had to iron all of the fabric, plus iron the seams.

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: September Big Time Project (3rd for the season)
Team: Team Palettable Art
Project Name: Northern Lights Hoopla
Project Link: Northern Lights Hoopla
Brief Description: The northern lights in thread
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

I’m in awe every time I see this piece. the reflections on the water are amazing, and the background fabric was a great choice :mountain:

1 Like

Prompt: July - Creeping Ivy
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: RBG Collars
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made over 40 lace RBG collars for Olympia Indivisible’s “Ruth Sent Us” rally tomorrow. It’ll be a socially distance event to celebrate the memory of Ruth Bader Ginsburg and speak up in defense of democracy.
Project Photo(s):

This is just a few of them.

My dad helped model one too. We hope to have plenty of people show up at the rally to wear them!

7 Likes

Prompt: August Theme - Tiger Shark
Project Name: Phoenix Kimono Remake Dress
Project Link: Phoenix Kimono Remake Dress & Clutch Purse
Brief Description: My first kimono remake project. I turned a 100+ year antique kimono into a new dress. It took a lot of tenacity to finish, as I am not a confident sewer and did this entire project by hand.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: July Theme - Creeping Ivy
Team: (Choose one of four, listed below)
Project Name: Phoenix Kimono Remake Clutch Purse
Project Link: Phoenix Kimono Remake Dress & Clutch Purse
Brief Description: I didn’t make the long ropey detachable chain for this clutch purse, but I did use some wired rope-style embellishment to hide the gap between the purse frame and the fabric covered shell. XD So it has double rope like features? This is made from leftover kimono fabric after I finished my dress. I actually made two of these purses.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: September Battle- Hand
Project Name: Xenomorphs Are For the Birds
Project Link: Xenomorphs Are For the Birds
Brief Description: I stitched this for my partner in the Hoopless Hoopla Swap. I used my sewing machine to stitch the details on the Xenomorph. I stitched the birds by hand and the Xenomorph is feeding the birds from its hands.

Project Photo(s):

This might be it for me! I have to review my Bingo card to see if I completed any of it :laughing:

4 Likes

This is brilliant, and his tail is amazing!

1 Like

So, completing projects and just listing them in your head doesn’t actually score you any points. And it turns out my computer isn’t telepathic.
This has been a challenging summer, but I did get stuff done, so here’s a project dump, as is customary at the end of a season :smile:
Here’s July:

Prompt: July - Clover
Project Name: Star Bracelet
Project Link: Yellow Stars Beaded Bracelet
Brief Description:
I like stars and stars are considered lucky. I tried to make these look like Mario stars, yellow with black eyes.
Project Photo:

Prompt: July - Creeping Ivy
Project Name: Purple Beaded Necklace
Brief Description:
Just a simple beaded necklace that I made as part of a birthday gift for a very special girl.
Project Photo:

Prompt: July - Flowers
Project Name: Star Box
Brief Description:
A good little friend of ours had a birthday, and my daughter and I wanted to give her a special gift. So, we found this cute star shaped box at the craft store. We painted it, stamped the friend’s name inside and filled it up with treasure.
The box is colorful, like flowers.
Project Photo:

4 Likes

I love all the stars! And I totally get it. “Hey. I thought about posting xyz to the games. Why isn’t it there? Oh yeah…” :grin:

1 Like

Here’s August and September:

Prompt: August - Nurse Shark
Project Name: Blue Headband
Brief Description:
Made a crochet headband for my daughter. The back is an elastic hairband, so it has just the right amount of stretch.
Project Photo:

Prompt: August - Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Homemade Hummus
Brief Description:
In the theme of science projects that you can eat, I made this hummus from scratch with my daughter. We started with dried chickpeas, soaked them (and saw how they bloated), sprouted them (and saw the little root come out). Then cooked them in our instant pot, and blended them with thini, lemon, garlic and salt. And finally, we ate it for dinner :slight_smile:
Used an instant pot and a blender to make it, also, the paste looks sort of odd but with the right stuff added in it’s very functional as food.
Project Photo:

Prompt: September - Seam Ripper
Project Name: Mini Pitas
Brief Description:
Having made some hummus, we had to have pitas. Now, we live in the land of milk and honey, which also happens to have great pitas and hummus available everywhere (even the simple supermarket brand is good). But, I saw an idea to make tiny pitas in a device called multicake, which I have. Multicake is similar to a babycakes device, which is an electric cupcakes maker, but it has interchangeable plates, so you can make lots of things in it.
Turns out, mini pitas isn’t one of them. They turned out as either little funny looking buns or crackers, depending on the thickness of the dough. I cooked the rest of the pita dough in a pan on the stove, and those turned out more pita like.
Project Photo:

Prompt: September - Tailor’s Chalk
Project Name: Notan School Project
Brief Description:
We’re currently in lockdown, so my daughter’s school is online. She got a really cool art activity for art class, so we each made one. Notan is a Japanese art concept which involves light and dark elements that are placed next to each other. To make this, we traced our designs on the black paper before cutting it.
Project Photo:

3 Likes

And the rest:

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Ricotta Gnocci
Project Link: Ricotta Gnocci in Butter and Basil
Brief Description:
The dough is really nice to work with, and the result is soft and yummy. I’m always happy for projects that don’t take too long and end up as dinner :slight_smile:
Project Photo:

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: Pancakes with Nectarines and Plums
Brief Description:
We love pancakes, so every once in a while, I will make some.
This is the recipe I currently use: Buttermilk Pancakes
I add a bit more sugar than the recipe calls for.
Twice this summer I added fruit slices in the batter of some of the pancakes (the ones for me), and then more fruit slices between them in the stack. Once it was plums and once it was nectarines. A drizzle of maple syrup and my tummy was happy.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: Roundish Challah
Brief Description:
For Rosh Hashannah, I made a milk dough Challah. Shaped it around a ramekin, which we filled with honey for the holiday dinner table. It’s a zap, because I used my mom’s awesome Thermomix that does most of the work.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: Zap a lunch
Brief Description:
Just a quick lunch. Sauteed a few mushrooms and some garlic. Added some frozen spinach, canned tomatoes and seasoning. Tossed in leftover pasta and served with Parmesan.
Project Photo:

3 Likes

double line bingo - two lines, 4 points

Project List (Bingo Card #11)

Row 2-

Brown: Purple Variegated Dishcloth - The variegated portion has brown in it.

Fluffy: Llama Die Cuts for ATCs - Llamas are fluffy!

Aliens: Xenomorphs Are For the Birds! - Xenomorphs are from the Alien movie franchise.

Nature: Octopus Necklace - An octopus lives in nature.

Square: Shades of Blue DIshcloth - This is in the shape of a square (the photo is slightly distorted, but I double-checked to make sure).

Row 3-

Black: Yet Another Easy Dishcloth - It’s made with black and orange yarn.

Trees: Faux Vintage Floral Postage Stamps - Paper is made from trees, and these are made from paper.

FREE SPACE

Food: Herb ATC - Sage is an edible plant that is also used to season food!

Sewn: Sailboat Test Block - I used the sewing machine to assemble this block.

3 Likes

I filled my whole card! (#3)

Left to right, top to bottom:
Dog- Halloween dog

Buttons- spider earrings- button style
Pen/marker- toad logo https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/snapshot-what-are-you-working-on-today/627/2675?u=bunny1kenobi
Pumpkin- pumpkins featured on haunted house Nerd Games - Summer 2020
Stripes- shirt for my husband image
White- Halloween ring image
Art- lizard I drew for a magnetic notepadimage
Pink- pink bowl cozy image
Ribbons- Halloween notebook image
Cold-infinity scarf-worn in the cold image
Flowers- bowl cozy with pink/green flowers (see pic above)
Hot- owl bowl cozy (see pic above)
TV/movies- sleepy hollow towel- many sleepy hollow movies! image
Food-striped bowl cozy (see pic above)
Beads-tarot card banner- has beads on the hanging loops Nerd Games - Summer 2020
Robots- interchangeable earrings- robots have interchangeable parts, too Nerd Games - Summer 2020
Utilitarian-adventurous tea towel Nerd Games - Summer 2020
Mouse- mini mouse image
Watercolor- Birthday card for hubby Birthday card for my sweetheart
Gray- leather book necklace
Dots- flowered magnetic notepad-one of the flowers has dots image
Fluffy-Halloween horse hoopla -stuffed portions make fluffy 3-D areas
Elastic-bday outfit for granddaughter Kendall in ONEderland
Ice- metallic masterboard- white squares look like ice cubes image

Not all of these items were posted before. Which is why there are both pics and links here. Sorry if it’s confusing/annoying!

3 Likes

Prompt: BIG TIME!
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Minnie Mouse Pillow
Brief Description: Grumpy Frog is a little less grumpy tonight since I made her a little Minnie Mouse pillow. She is so happy and keeps showing it of to her dad and auntie SBC and Uncle Dude <3
Project Photo(s):
Audrey Minni Mouse Pillow

4 Likes

The Summer Nerd Games are now closed! I will get the tracking up later today. The fun will continue over in the Fall Nerd Games!

2 Likes