CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2020

It’s late and it’s been a long week, so… I’m just going to post the battle at the last minute and run!

Prompt: July Battle: Wild Native Plantings
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Beak of the Plague Doctor Mask(s)
Project Link: Beak of Plague Doctor Mask
Brief Description: More info in the link about how this came to be (click it, you know you want to!) but needless to say I took a pattern I found and ran WILD with it! Going back to some NATIVE roots of masks with the original Plague Doctor!

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: July Battle: Wild Native Plantings
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Fox ATC
Project Link: My First ATCs
Brief Description:
Cute little wild animal card!
Project Photo:

5 Likes

You can view the tracking update in the discussion thread!

2 Likes

New Prompts Posted! Check out Prompt Palace for more details (and sorry - but no also not sorry - if the theme has been done before, it’s a favorite of mine…)

3 Likes

Prompt: August: Nurse
Team: Paletteable Art
Project Name: Wedding Card
Brief Description: This wedding card is being given away to someone with their quilt wedding gift!
Project Photo:

Prompt: August: Great White Shark
Team: Paletteable Art
Project Name: Slow Movin' Sloths atcs
Brief Description: Sloths are great. 'nuff said.
Project Photo:

4 Likes

Prompt: Zap #1
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Passing on the Zipper Pouch Love!
Project Link: Passing on the Zipper Pouch Love!

Brief Description: My sister has been learning to sew, and while she’s tackled some relatively complex projects, she had never sewn in a zipper before. I had planned to teach her a couple of years ago, but we ran out of time. We finally had time yesterday! I kept it simple with a basic zipper pouch, which is quick to sew. I did show her how to swap the zipper pulls (using a fork), and I added a extra bit of zipper on to mine as a grab tab. It’s a Zap because I had the fabric all cut and ready to go, so the actual hands on time was minimal.

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

That’s a really cool way to display and store your fiber bits!

Such fun colors. It’ll make taking out the recycles “almost” fun!

This blanket is absolutely gorgeous. And the window cat cross stitch is lovely.

Yum yum yum.
The tshirt quilt is pretty awesome. Love the soccer fabric.

I love this so much.

So cute!

Yum sounds good!

Next time I do a zipper I’m going to try your fork tip

3 Likes

Prompt: August - Nurse Shark
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Charlotte’s hoop
Project Link: Charlotte’s hoop
Brief Description: a few days ago, my 8 year old niece came up with this poem on the spot. I loved it so much, and I got permission to share it on Facebook. I decided that wasn’t good enough, so I designed this hoop and stitched it up for her. I just gave it to her with a very elated, “Thank you! You’re the best Auntie EVER!” It was enthusiastically seconded by her 2 year old little sister. I love my nieces :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

That is so sweet!!

1 Like

Whew, now that Gish is over and I’m allowed to post photos of my items, I’m here for a photo dump! :slight_smile:

Prompt: July - Flowers
Project Name: Amabie Hoop
Project Link: Amabie Hoop
Brief Description:
The Amabie is a Japanese monster that is said to have prophesied an epidemic, and said that drawing and showing a picture of it will cure the sick.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Shrubbery
Project Name: 2020 Story Quilt
Project Link: 2020 Story Quilt in a hurry
Brief Description:
This is a goofy story quilt about 2020, which was supposed to incorporate burlap or some other really rough fabric to be true to the feeling of this year. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: You can’t see it in the photo, but my burlap is even shiny!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Tiger Shark
Project Name: Adventurer Merit Badge
Project Link: My First Adult Merit Badge!
Brief Description:
This “Adventure Planner Extraordinaire” merit badge took a lot of tenacity to finish, because edging it by hand just took SO. MANY. STITCHES! It was fun, though!
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: “Beat Covid” Mask
Project Link: "Beat Covid" Mask
Brief Description:
I’d actually had this virus fabric in my stash for years! XD Perfect time to bust it out, right? :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Whoops, forgot the pie!

Prompt: August - Great White Shark
Project Name: Banana Cream Pie
Project Link: Banana Cream Pie
Brief Description:
This pie is white AND tastes seriously great. (I guess that should be in past tense 'cause we totally ate it.)
Project Photo(s):

Btw, I have temporarily (I hope) misplaced my bingo card, so I hope it’s OK if I add these projects to it later!

2 Likes

Prompt: August - Battle - Shark
Project Name: Shark ornament
Project Link:
Brief Description: This little shark fits the prompt perfectly :blush:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Tiger Shark
Project Name: Octopus ornament
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for @roler as a thank you for all of the masks she’s sent me. She loves sea creatures :blush: This works for the prompt because chevrons are stripes
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Bull Shark
Project Name: Pika ornament
Project Link:
Brief Description: Also for roler. I’m sending her some happy mail to cheer her up. It can be used in various ways… at work, at home, in a car…
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Omg omg those are SO CUTE!!! I saw the octopus before and adored it but I hadn’t seen the Pikachu and I am totally squeeing! XD

2 Likes

Prompt: August - Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Embossed tidbits
Project Link:
Brief Description: I had to use tools to make these
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Ooooh I am intrigued!! XD

1 Like

I’m loving all the projects… I love the ingenuity of our crafty Nerds!!

Prompt: July- Creeping Ivy
Project Name: Tarot banner
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description:
This Is a swap item for chameleonhound in the Halloween Advent swap. Which is why I’m blurring the pics! It involves some twine, which is certainly ropy!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July- Shrubbery
Project Name: Haunted house
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description:
This Is another swap item for chameleonhound in the Halloween Advent swap. It will be very clear why this is in the “shrubbery” prompt!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Halloween magnets
Project Link:
Brief Description:
This Is another swap item for chameleonhound in the Halloween Advent swap. These were incorporated into the tags on the items I sent. So essentially they are part of the wrapping. I needed scissors to make these.
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Adventurous tea towel
Project Link: Adventurous tea towel
Brief Description:
This fits the prompt because I made this for someone else- for a private swap with @tendstowardschaos. I really like how it turned out.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Research Project # 2
Team: Palletable Art
Project Name: Just a little somethin' somethin' for my bed!
Brief Description: Loads of time has gone into this (and will continue to go into this when returned from LQS) quilt top!
Project Photo:

Prompt: Aug Hammerhead
Project Name:Hummingbird Adult Coloring Sheet
Brief Description: This uses tools if someone wants to color it in…go for it! And share!
Project photo:

Prompt: Aug Tiger
Project Name: ACNH Alice's Pocket Weather App
Brief Description: There are stripes in the rainbow and stripes in the background.
Project photo:

3 Likes

Prompt : August - Big Time Project (1)
Team : Team Palettable Art
Project Name : 2015 Journal
Project Link : 2015 journal
Brief Description : An art journal I barely started in 2015, then again in 2016 and finally picked back up this summer and completed.
Project Photo(s ):
Lots more images on the project link

Prompt : Tiger Shark
Project Name : Deconstructed Art Journal Pages
Project Link : Deconstructed Art Journal Pages
Brief Description : art journal pages - one with stripes!
Project Photo(s ):

Prompt : Nurse Shark
Project Name : Mini Pocket Letter
Project Link : Mini Pocket Letter
Brief Description : a mini pink and purple pocket letter I made for someone else
Project Photo(s ):

Prompt : Hammerhead Shark
Project Name : Butterfly Embellishments
Project Link : Butterfly Embellishments
Brief Description : These embellishments used a stapler (tool)
Project Photo(s ):

Prompt : Bull Shark
Project Name : Vintage-y masterboard tags
Project Link : Vintage-y masterboard tags These t Vintage-y masterboard tagsags are “multi-purpose”. you can use them as gift tags, bookmarks, to journal on in a junk journal, as notecards, etc.
Brief Description :
Project Photo(s ):

3 Likes

Sorry for being absent for so long. Last month I lost my best friend and fur baby, Venkman, and I just wasn’t up for much. I am trying to get myself out of the slump and back to crafting slowly. I realized I had more to offer up on here than I thought I did so I figured I would jump back in. Hopefully, this will push me to continue when I start feeling sorry for myself and I’m throw pity parties.

Prompt: July - Clover
Project Name: Reusable Pee-Pee Pad
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: Before my sweet baby passed, he was on lots f fluids and wasn’t walking well. He was 21 after all. He started not making it to the litter box so I put down pee-pee pads. He used them but due to the fluids he was using about 5 a day. I couldn’t afford to keep that up so I made him some washable ones. I got tablecloth fabric from the store and sewed up about 5 pads out of terrycloth (make sure you wash it first so it doesn’t shrink). Then I added Cam snaps. He used it immediately and I would just wash them up each day. Sorry, this was the only pick I got before I packed it up. The pads were made in green.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July – Creeping Ivy
Project Name: Patchouli’s overalls
Project Link: Patchouli the Skunk
Brief Description: 2020 is going down as the year I discovered felt. LOL! I constructed these overalls for my Skunk, Patchouli. The clothing was my own design. The top part wraps around his neck like creeping ivy.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Flowers
Project Name: Patchouli the Skunk
Project Link: Patchouli the Skunk
Brief Description: And here is Patchouli! I altered the pattern for the raccoon to make this little stinker. Skunks are odorific!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Shrubbery
Project Name: Quackers the Goose
Project Link: Cheese & Quackers Felt dolls
Brief Description: I made this little gooseling out of felt, which some people may consider scratchy. He is also a sturdy little guy because he can stand on almost any surface since his lefts are poseable.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July – Tall Grasses
Project Name: Catio for my Cats!
Project Link: Cat door in window
Brief Description: I recently gifted my cats with a catio. I had to construct a way for them to get to it, yet try to keep the bugs out and AC inside. I made this out of Plexiglas and a cat door. I used the blade from the saw to cut the Plexiglas, and it covers the window.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August – Great White Shark
Project Name: Catio
Project Link: Catio for my Cats!
Brief Description: This is the catio and base that I constructed for my cats. They love it. It’s pretty big in my opinion. Without the base it is 71”x39”x71”.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August – Nurse Shark
Project Name: Cheese the Duck
Project Link: Cheese & Quackers Felt dolls
Brief Description: Cheese the duck is Quackers BFF and they both went to live with my sister.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August – Shark vs Orca - ORCA
Project Name: Star Wars Shelf
Project Link: Star Wars Shelf
Brief Description: This shelf is black and white, just like an Orca! I added Star Wars wall paper to the back of it and fairy light to the top for a curio cabinet type feel
Project Photo(s):

Whew. Sorry for such a project dump but it feels great to be back!

5 Likes

Welcome back! I’m glad you joined us. I know how hard it is to join anything when you’re feeling so down. (((Hugs))) to you. I’m sorry you lost Venkman.

I LOVE the felt animals you’ve been making. They have so much character, and they’re super cute! And that catio looks amazing!

4 Likes