CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2020

Omg omg those are SO CUTE!!! I saw the octopus before and adored it but I hadn’t seen the Pikachu and I am totally squeeing! XD

2 Likes

Prompt: August - Hammerhead Shark
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Embossed tidbits
Project Link:
Brief Description: I had to use tools to make these
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Ooooh I am intrigued!! XD

1 Like

I’m loving all the projects… I love the ingenuity of our crafty Nerds!!

Prompt: July- Creeping Ivy
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Tarot banner
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description:
This Is a swap item for chameleonhound in the Halloween Advent swap. Which is why I’m blurring the pics! It involves some twine, which is certainly ropy!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July- Shrubbery
Project Name: Haunted house
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description:
This Is another swap item for chameleonhound in the Halloween Advent swap. It will be very clear why this is in the “shrubbery” prompt!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Halloween magnets
Project Link:
Brief Description:
This Is another swap item for chameleonhound in the Halloween Advent swap. These were incorporated into the tags on the items I sent. So essentially they are part of the wrapping. I needed scissors to make these.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Nurse Shark
Project Name: Adventurous tea towel
Project Link: Adventurous tea towel
Brief Description:
This fits the prompt because I made this for someone else- for a private swap with @tendstowardschaos. I really like how it turned out.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Research Project # 2
Team: Palletable Art
Project Name: Just a little somethin' somethin' for my bed!
Brief Description: Loads of time has gone into this (and will continue to go into this when returned from LQS) quilt top!
Project Photo:

Prompt: Aug Hammerhead
Project Name:Hummingbird Adult Coloring Sheet
Brief Description: This uses tools if someone wants to color it in…go for it! And share!
Project photo:

Prompt: Aug Tiger
Project Name: ACNH Alice's Pocket Weather App
Brief Description: There are stripes in the rainbow and stripes in the background.
Project photo:

3 Likes

Prompt : August - Big Time Project (1)
Team : Team Palettable Art
Project Name : 2015 Journal
Project Link : 2015 journal
Brief Description : An art journal I barely started in 2015, then again in 2016 and finally picked back up this summer and completed.
Project Photo(s ):
Lots more images on the project link

Prompt : Tiger Shark
Project Name : Deconstructed Art Journal Pages
Project Link : Deconstructed Art Journal Pages
Brief Description : art journal pages - one with stripes!
Project Photo(s ):

Prompt : Nurse Shark
Project Name : Mini Pocket Letter
Project Link : Mini Pocket Letter
Brief Description : a mini pink and purple pocket letter I made for someone else
Project Photo(s ):

Prompt : Hammerhead Shark
Project Name : Butterfly Embellishments
Project Link : Butterfly Embellishments
Brief Description : These embellishments used a stapler (tool)
Project Photo(s ):

Prompt : Bull Shark
Project Name : Vintage-y masterboard tags
Project Link : Vintage-y masterboard tags These t Vintage-y masterboard tagsags are “multi-purpose”. you can use them as gift tags, bookmarks, to journal on in a junk journal, as notecards, etc.
Brief Description :
Project Photo(s ):

3 Likes

Sorry for being absent for so long. Last month I lost my best friend and fur baby, Venkman, and I just wasn’t up for much. I am trying to get myself out of the slump and back to crafting slowly. I realized I had more to offer up on here than I thought I did so I figured I would jump back in. Hopefully, this will push me to continue when I start feeling sorry for myself and I’m throw pity parties.

Prompt: July - Clover
Project Name: Reusable Pee-Pee Pad
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: Before my sweet baby passed, he was on lots f fluids and wasn’t walking well. He was 21 after all. He started not making it to the litter box so I put down pee-pee pads. He used them but due to the fluids he was using about 5 a day. I couldn’t afford to keep that up so I made him some washable ones. I got tablecloth fabric from the store and sewed up about 5 pads out of terrycloth (make sure you wash it first so it doesn’t shrink). Then I added Cam snaps. He used it immediately and I would just wash them up each day. Sorry, this was the only pick I got before I packed it up. The pads were made in green.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July – Creeping Ivy
Project Name: Patchouli’s overalls
Project Link: Patchouli the Skunk
Brief Description: 2020 is going down as the year I discovered felt. LOL! I constructed these overalls for my Skunk, Patchouli. The clothing was my own design. The top part wraps around his neck like creeping ivy.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Flowers
Project Name: Patchouli the Skunk
Project Link: Patchouli the Skunk
Brief Description: And here is Patchouli! I altered the pattern for the raccoon to make this little stinker. Skunks are odorific!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Shrubbery
Project Name: Quackers the Goose
Project Link: Cheese & Quackers Felt dolls
Brief Description: I made this little gooseling out of felt, which some people may consider scratchy. He is also a sturdy little guy because he can stand on almost any surface since his lefts are poseable.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July – Tall Grasses
Project Name: Catio for my Cats!
Project Link: Cat door in window
Brief Description: I recently gifted my cats with a catio. I had to construct a way for them to get to it, yet try to keep the bugs out and AC inside. I made this out of Plexiglas and a cat door. I used the blade from the saw to cut the Plexiglas, and it covers the window.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August – Great White Shark
Project Name: Catio
Project Link: Catio for my Cats!
Brief Description: This is the catio and base that I constructed for my cats. They love it. It’s pretty big in my opinion. Without the base it is 71”x39”x71”.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August – Nurse Shark
Project Name: Cheese the Duck
Project Link: Cheese & Quackers Felt dolls
Brief Description: Cheese the duck is Quackers BFF and they both went to live with my sister.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August – Shark vs Orca - ORCA
Project Name: Star Wars Shelf
Project Link: Star Wars Shelf
Brief Description: This shelf is black and white, just like an Orca! I added Star Wars wall paper to the back of it and fairy light to the top for a curio cabinet type feel
Project Photo(s):

Whew. Sorry for such a project dump but it feels great to be back!

5 Likes

Welcome back! I’m glad you joined us. I know how hard it is to join anything when you’re feeling so down. (((Hugs))) to you. I’m sorry you lost Venkman.

I LOVE the felt animals you’ve been making. They have so much character, and they’re super cute! And that catio looks amazing!

4 Likes

I scrolled through your crafts so fast because I was in a big hurry to tell you how sorry I am that Venkman has passed. Oh, I am so sad for you.

1 Like

Thank you both so much.
@storerboughtcreation the reason I started doing the felt creatures is for a craft I could do while sitting with Venkman when he started getting worse. In a way, he gifted me with a new skill.

5 Likes

@gozer I love you! I’m so sorry for your loss! I am glad that he was consistently loved, right to the end. And he consistently loved you back.

BTW, I love your felt animals and you did such an awesome job on the catio!

1 Like

Prompt: Orcas (August Battle)
Project Name: Rainbow Potholder (top in photo)
Project Link: Bright, Old-School Loomed Potholders
Brief Description: Messing around with potholder looms is a relic of my childhood, just like Free Willy, which I’ve known since August 1 had to be part of my battle entry. [cue the theme music]
Project Photo(s):
20200823_150622

Prompt: Hammerhead Shark (August)
Project Name: Tropical Potholder (bottom in photo)
Project Link: Bright, Old-School Loomed Potholders
Brief Description: This project required a potholder loom and a couple of hooks for the weaving/finishing.
Project Photo(s):
20200823_150622

Prompt: Bull Shark (August)
Project Name: Envelopes
Project Link: Calendar Page Envelopes
Brief Description: These envelopes will be sent to multiple places.
Project Photo(s):
20200814_175819

1 Like

Prompt: Zap!
Project Name: fridge organizer
Project Link: Fridge organizer
Brief Description: DH and I have been wanting to buy magnetic white boards to put on our fridge and freezer. It’s so hard to know what’s in there and we throw away way too much food and buy produce that we already have plenty of. We figured, if we wrote it down, erased items as they were used, maybe we could stay on top of things better. When we saw the prices on Amazon, we decided to make our own with laminated paper and magnets. The magnets cover the entire back of the area we’ll be writing on, so that it will be an even writing surface.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Owl cross stitch
Project Link: Owls in winter cross stitch
Brief Description: Mr sbc asked me to make this, so I did :blush:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Great White Shark
Project Name: blackberry crisp
Project Link: Blackberry Crisp
Brief Description: I made this with the help of my eight year old niece for dessert last night. It was great!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Play Doh dinos
Project Link:
Brief Description: My two year old niece has been demanding I create fun things to destroy with Play Doh. Within a minute of making a silly dino, she would already have it mashed back down to a blob and demand a new one. Silly toddlers.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Nurse Shark
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Donut Pillow
Brief Description: I made another donut pillow for SBC. She likes using these to prop up her ankle when it hurts and also likes using it to support her old lady back when she sits.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Great White Shark
Project Name: Pink Octopus
Brief Description: I made a second octopus, this time for SBC. I think it fits this prompt because it not only is intimidating to make but it is great all around!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Bull Shark
Project Name: Trans Pride hat
Brief Description: I made this hat for a personal swap. It would work for a PRIDE event or just because you’re cold.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Burger Cowl
Brief Description: SBC got me a skein of yarn for my birthday last month, it was meant to make two small hanmburger amigurumis but I thought it would be much better as a cowl!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August Battle -Orca-
Project Name: Chickadee Painting
Brief Description: My oldest daughter, Beast Jr. is being homeschooled this year and one of her first projects for art involved painting a picture of a bird. It looked like fun so I ended up doing my own picture.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Tiger Shark
Project Name: Shoosh
Brief Description: I made a doll of my D&D character, a Tiefling called Shoosh. It took EVERYTHING in me to actually finish making her because O.M.G. there was so. much. hair. 0-0
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Creeping Ivy
Project Name: Hubble the Squid
Brief Description: I made a little bitty squid!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Tall Grasses
Project Name: Heart Doily
Brief Description: I saw this pattern and it was just too pretty to pass up. I used it for this prompt because it hides tables.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: August Battle - Orca
Project Name: Orca Hoop
Project Link: Orca Art Hoop
Brief Description: I made this for @Camelama in the Hoopless Hoopla Swap. (Hey, LL, wanna come join us in the Nerd Games? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: August Battle- Sharks vs Orcas (Sharks!)
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Octopus Necklace
Project Link: Octopus Necklace
Brief Description: This was originally supposed to be a water-tracking bracelet for a prompt in an earlier round of the Nerd Games, but I never ended up making it. When I had a day of beading with my mom and sister, I needed something easy to make, so I dug out a few more supplies and put together a necklace instead! This fits the prompt because sharks sometimes prey on octopuses.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Bull Shark
Project Name: Purple Variegated Dishcloth
Project Link: More Easy Dishcloths!

Brief Description: I had a recent trip to Maine, and I needed something to do to keep me occupied during the car that wouldn’t make me carsick. Crochet to the rescue! I was trying to use up odds and ends of cotton yarn that was leftover from earlier dishcloth projects. This fits the prompt because it could be used in the kitchen for dishes, or in the bathroom as a washcloth.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Tiger Shark
Project Name: Shades of Blue Striped Dishcloth
Project Link: More Easy Dishcloths! (same link as above)

Brief Description: This is another dishcloth that I made on my recent trip, using leftover yarn. It fits the prompt because it has stripes, and also because it had so many ends to weave in, which is a task that I don’t love to do, so it takes tenacity for me to finish it.

Project Photo(s):

(The colors don’t show well in this photo, so I’ll try to take another when I have better light.)

6 Likes

Prompt: August Battle - Sharks vs. Orcas - Orcas
Project Name: Swirl cookies
Project Link:
Brief Description:
Made these cookies with my daughter, ended up with a huge amount of cookies (not complaining). Very yummy, but not a good recipe for summer. The dough was chilled in the fridge, but within a minute or two started to be too soft to work with. We’ll keep this recipe for winter, or for a kitchen with strong AC. These cookies are sort of black and white, like Orcas.
Project Photo(s):

Tomorrow a new month starts, I’ve made one of my goals for this month to try and create more and actually post what I make :smile:

6 Likes

@roler
I love all your Gish projects! The Amabie is amazing, thanks for the link! Your merit badge is swesome! We all need those, I think! So jealous of that virus fabric and those masks!

@storerboughtcreation
OMG that cross stitch shark!!! I mean, the octopus is also cool, and the Pika, but… but… SHARK! And the embossing is intriguing!

@Bunny1kenobi
That (censored) is amazing!!! I mean all of the blurry pics, chameleonhound is so lucky!

@Lynx
Congrats on finishing the quilt, it looks gorgeous! And that coloring sheet is brilliant!

@geekgirl
Ah, awesome journaling! That is so inspiring and makes me want to go back to my mixed media projects!

@gozer
I’m so sorry about your baby, I do know the feeling and at that point, reusable pee pads are a lifesaver (we had a 17 year old dog, so, yeah…). So. Much. Amazing. Felt!!! The goose is cool, but the skunk!!!

@megwell
Oh, I remember those looms! How awesome!

@QueenHobo
Your crocheting never ceases to amaze and inspire! The bird photo is lovely!

@craftADDchick
Oooh, loving the octopus necklace! Nice dishcloths, I do adore utilitarian things!

@Tanath
Those cookies look tasty!

1 Like

Prompt: August Battle: SHARKS!
Project Name: Shark Week Bullet Journal Art Page
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I’ve neglecting my BuJo for too long, but I had to so something for Shark Week! Bed Shark tried to claim he’d done the artwork…

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: Puppy Masks
Project Link: Puppy (and Shark) Mask Pattern
Brief Description: I made a ton of puppy masks!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Great White
Project Name: Shark Masks
Project Link: Puppy (and Shark) Mask Pattern
Brief Description: I made a three shark masks, it was a ton of slow hand sewing… Very intimidating to take on! And, I have to say, I think they turned out great!

Project Photo(s):

2 Likes