CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2020

@gozer I love you! I’m so sorry for your loss! I am glad that he was consistently loved, right to the end. And he consistently loved you back.

BTW, I love your felt animals and you did such an awesome job on the catio!

1 Like

Prompt: Orcas (August Battle)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Rainbow Potholder (top in photo)
Project Link: Bright, Old-School Loomed Potholders
Brief Description: Messing around with potholder looms is a relic of my childhood, just like Free Willy, which I’ve known since August 1 had to be part of my battle entry. [cue the theme music]
Project Photo(s):
20200823_150622

Prompt: Hammerhead Shark (August)
Project Name: Tropical Potholder (bottom in photo)
Project Link: Bright, Old-School Loomed Potholders
Brief Description: This project required a potholder loom and a couple of hooks for the weaving/finishing.
Project Photo(s):
20200823_150622

Prompt: Bull Shark (August)
Project Name: Envelopes
Project Link: Calendar Page Envelopes
Brief Description: These envelopes will be sent to multiple places.
Project Photo(s):
20200814_175819

1 Like

Prompt: Zap!
Project Name: fridge organizer
Project Link: Fridge organizer
Brief Description: DH and I have been wanting to buy magnetic white boards to put on our fridge and freezer. It’s so hard to know what’s in there and we throw away way too much food and buy produce that we already have plenty of. We figured, if we wrote it down, erased items as they were used, maybe we could stay on top of things better. When we saw the prices on Amazon, we decided to make our own with laminated paper and magnets. The magnets cover the entire back of the area we’ll be writing on, so that it will be an even writing surface.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Owl cross stitch
Project Link: Owls in winter cross stitch
Brief Description: Mr sbc asked me to make this, so I did :blush:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Great White Shark
Project Name: blackberry crisp
Project Link: Blackberry Crisp
Brief Description: I made this with the help of my eight year old niece for dessert last night. It was great!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Play Doh dinos
Project Link:
Brief Description: My two year old niece has been demanding I create fun things to destroy with Play Doh. Within a minute of making a silly dino, she would already have it mashed back down to a blob and demand a new one. Silly toddlers.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Nurse Shark
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Donut Pillow
Brief Description: I made another donut pillow for SBC. She likes using these to prop up her ankle when it hurts and also likes using it to support her old lady back when she sits.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Great White Shark
Project Name: Pink Octopus
Brief Description: I made a second octopus, this time for SBC. I think it fits this prompt because it not only is intimidating to make but it is great all around!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Bull Shark
Project Name: Trans Pride hat
Brief Description: I made this hat for a personal swap. It would work for a PRIDE event or just because you’re cold.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Burger Cowl
Brief Description: SBC got me a skein of yarn for my birthday last month, it was meant to make two small hanmburger amigurumis but I thought it would be much better as a cowl!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August Battle -Orca-
Project Name: Chickadee Painting
Brief Description: My oldest daughter, Beast Jr. is being homeschooled this year and one of her first projects for art involved painting a picture of a bird. It looked like fun so I ended up doing my own picture.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Tiger Shark
Project Name: Shoosh
Brief Description: I made a doll of my D&D character, a Tiefling called Shoosh. It took EVERYTHING in me to actually finish making her because O.M.G. there was so. much. hair. 0-0
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Creeping Ivy
Project Name: Hubble the Squid
Brief Description: I made a little bitty squid!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Tall Grasses
Project Name: Heart Doily
Brief Description: I saw this pattern and it was just too pretty to pass up. I used it for this prompt because it hides tables.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: August Battle - Orca
Project Name: Orca Hoop
Project Link: Orca Art Hoop
Brief Description: I made this for @Camelama in the Hoopless Hoopla Swap. (Hey, LL, wanna come join us in the Nerd Games? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: August Battle- Sharks vs Orcas (Sharks!)
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Octopus Necklace
Project Link: Octopus Necklace
Brief Description: This was originally supposed to be a water-tracking bracelet for a prompt in an earlier round of the Nerd Games, but I never ended up making it. When I had a day of beading with my mom and sister, I needed something easy to make, so I dug out a few more supplies and put together a necklace instead! This fits the prompt because sharks sometimes prey on octopuses.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Bull Shark
Project Name: Purple Variegated Dishcloth
Project Link: More Easy Dishcloths!

Brief Description: I had a recent trip to Maine, and I needed something to do to keep me occupied during the car that wouldn’t make me carsick. Crochet to the rescue! I was trying to use up odds and ends of cotton yarn that was leftover from earlier dishcloth projects. This fits the prompt because it could be used in the kitchen for dishes, or in the bathroom as a washcloth.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Tiger Shark
Project Name: Shades of Blue Striped Dishcloth
Project Link: More Easy Dishcloths! (same link as above)

Brief Description: This is another dishcloth that I made on my recent trip, using leftover yarn. It fits the prompt because it has stripes, and also because it had so many ends to weave in, which is a task that I don’t love to do, so it takes tenacity for me to finish it.

Project Photo(s):

(The colors don’t show well in this photo, so I’ll try to take another when I have better light.)

6 Likes

Prompt: August Battle - Sharks vs. Orcas - Orcas
Project Name: Swirl cookies
Project Link:
Brief Description:
Made these cookies with my daughter, ended up with a huge amount of cookies (not complaining). Very yummy, but not a good recipe for summer. The dough was chilled in the fridge, but within a minute or two started to be too soft to work with. We’ll keep this recipe for winter, or for a kitchen with strong AC. These cookies are sort of black and white, like Orcas.
Project Photo(s):

Tomorrow a new month starts, I’ve made one of my goals for this month to try and create more and actually post what I make :smile:

6 Likes

@roler
I love all your Gish projects! The Amabie is amazing, thanks for the link! Your merit badge is swesome! We all need those, I think! So jealous of that virus fabric and those masks!

@storerboughtcreation
OMG that cross stitch shark!!! I mean, the octopus is also cool, and the Pika, but… but… SHARK! And the embossing is intriguing!

@Bunny1kenobi
That (censored) is amazing!!! I mean all of the blurry pics, chameleonhound is so lucky!

@Lynx
Congrats on finishing the quilt, it looks gorgeous! And that coloring sheet is brilliant!

@geekgirl
Ah, awesome journaling! That is so inspiring and makes me want to go back to my mixed media projects!

@gozer
I’m so sorry about your baby, I do know the feeling and at that point, reusable pee pads are a lifesaver (we had a 17 year old dog, so, yeah…). So. Much. Amazing. Felt!!! The goose is cool, but the skunk!!!

@megwell
Oh, I remember those looms! How awesome!

@QueenHobo
Your crocheting never ceases to amaze and inspire! The bird photo is lovely!

@craftADDchick
Oooh, loving the octopus necklace! Nice dishcloths, I do adore utilitarian things!

@Tanath
Those cookies look tasty!

1 Like

Prompt: August Battle: SHARKS!
Project Name: Shark Week Bullet Journal Art Page
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I’ve neglecting my BuJo for too long, but I had to so something for Shark Week! Bed Shark tried to claim he’d done the artwork…

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: Puppy Masks
Project Link: Puppy (and Shark) Mask Pattern
Brief Description: I made a ton of puppy masks!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Great White
Project Name: Shark Masks
Project Link: Puppy (and Shark) Mask Pattern
Brief Description: I made a three shark masks, it was a ton of slow hand sewing… Very intimidating to take on! And, I have to say, I think they turned out great!

Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Amelia Bearhart
Project Link: A bear and her cat
Brief Description: I made this for @gozer in the Creature Comfort Stuffie Swap. She listed that she liked animals with clothing in her list of things she likes.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Venkman tribute
Project Link: A bear and her cat
Brief Description: I made this little Venkman for Gozer because she recently lost her fur baby. He is a great companion for the aviator bear. I couldn’t have done this without photos @Bunny1kenobi helped track down for me. :heart:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

@appledainty - Your Choi Fish Tsumami-ga is absolutely beautiful. It was a stellar way to kick off the season!

@Megwell _ your ATCs are so much fun! And so are your potholders. I have seen so many since I saw these. I think you inspired people to go back to this craft! I have a couple old calendars that I need to find something to do with. Envelopes might work. Yours look great.

@Storerboughtcreations – I love your little biscornu’s. The hearts in a row one gives me serious Alice and Wonderland vibes. The dino toy is so cute. I want to snuggle it. The Apache Tears blankets are so pretty. I love the colors you chose for the blue one best. I especially love your little fur babies on it! I absolutely love the window cat cross stitch. It’s so pretty and clean looking. I love the little touches of red in the flowers. The cactus embroidery is stunning. It is so perfectly done. That front cactus amazes me. Your stitches are impeccable. You are the sweetest Aunt for that hoop. It’ so cute. Love the colors you chose. Love the shark. I was totally into Shark Week this year. The octopus and Pikachu are awesome too, but I am still in shark mode. Ha! The owl cross stitch is adorable. I love that little heart hanging from the branch too. Is it weird that I am super eager for Christmas already? You know I love my bear, but the Venkman stuffie was super sweet. It means so much. I still can’t believe he is gone. You did an amazing job on him. Thank you.

@bunnykenobi – The teeny tiny cookies are adorable. The tea towels is very pretty. The fade of the colors is great. Your Tea cabinet is amazing!!! I love all the detail work on it. I’m glad you made one for yourself too. All those teeny tiny drawers! Eeps! Your Halloween Advent items are amazing. I absolutely LOVE that first one. I also love how useful and decorative the third set is. The camper tea towel makes me smile. It’s adorable. So efficient with your fridge organizer.

@Queenhobo – The octopus is insane! Caprisun is the perfect name! the donut is cool. I bet it’s comfy to lounge on. You didn’t give the pink octopus a cool name? They are super cool, and dare I say a tad creepy in the best most awesome way ever! Neat hat and cowl. Your bird drawing very pretty. Your D&D character looks like a trickster. The heart doily pattern is so delicate and pretty.

@Geekgirl – The art journal is amazing. That looks like so much work. I can imagine each page being so cool! The ones you showed are incredible. The Altered coffee filters look so regal. Your bird ATCs are cute. I always love a crochet dishcloth. That’s pretty shades of blue. The foam stamps look fun! I like the altered tickets. The mini pocket letter is so pretty. I love purple. The butterfly embllishments are cool and I love that you made them yourself.

@roler – Crochet hangers are so useful. Yours look great. The Dugtrio sandwiches are too cute! I could never eat them!!! The masks you made look great too. Apt time for a Amabie. It reminds me of a Pokemon! Don’t give up on 2020 yet, we can still make it a great year… maybe an okay year. I love adult merit badges. Yours is cool and well earned. Absolutel PERFECT fabric for a mask! Love the stitching too. PS. Smart idea with the mirror to get both sides. The Orca hoop is cool! I like the style.

@gshillitani – Such a creative and pretty way to store your tidbits.

@Lynx – Pretty fabric on that rainbow bag. Smart to cover all the tools and awesome that you are able to do it. The key lime Cupcakes look delicious! The soccer jersey quilt is amazing. I am sure your daughter will treasure that for a lifetime. So sweet! Cool transformation on the top. The sloth with Baby Yoda made me laugh. The second RP quilt is very pretty too. That is a cue weather hoop (still love that rainbow fabric).

@Tanath – I love those little rings. Beadwork is so labor intensive and super cool! Those cookies look yummy.

@craftADDchick - Mmmmm. I bet those beans and pepper butter are tasty. Neatly done zippered pouches. Pretty octopus necklace. Love a handmade dishcloth. They are always the best.

@Smeddley – Queen of the masks! I always love to see what you come up with. So cute! I can’t believe people actually pulled the tongue! Hold on, yes I can. Ha! I think the shark one is my favorite.

4 Likes

Did you know September is National Sewing Month? The internet tells me it is, and it’s never wrong when I need a convenient theme for prompts! If you don’t sew, don’t worry, all the prompts can be fulfilled with other crafts!

September Battle - Hand vs Machine

September Theme - Sewing Month!

• Bobbin Thread - Craft something that’s useful “under the table” or “unseen”, or something that is wound, or made with thread
  • Sewing Needle - Craft something that is made of metal, is sharp, or is long and thin
  • Seam Ripper - Craft a project that took more than one try, or was a complete and utter failure (it’s fine to post an unfinished project here that you’ve given up on, as long as you sunk enough time into it already!)
  • Tailor’s Chalk - Craft something that required drafting, sketching, or other type of physical pre-planning. Or something with chalk!
  • Iron - Craft something that requires meticulous ironing, flattening, heat, or is heavy.

Prompt: September - battle - Hand
Project Name: pumpkin 1
Project Link: Pumpkins in plaid
Brief Description: I made this pumpkin using a pattern I’ve used before… Sewing it closed and making the segments required hand sewing.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Bobbin Thread
Project Name: pumpkin 2
Project Link: Pumpkins in plaid
Brief Description: This one looks more like gingham, but I love how it turned out! Yarn is sort of thread.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Snowman biscornu
Project Link: Snowman biscornu
Brief Description: I love snowmen. And I’m ready for some cold weather!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: September - Seam Ripper
Project Name: wood burned hedgehog
Project Link:
Brief Description: We bought a wood burning stylus over a year ago, and I decided to try it for the first time ever tonight. I had a lot of fun, and I didn’t burn myself (trust me, this is HUGE… I’m so clumsy)! My first attempt was on some scrap pressboard. That did not work well at all. It barely burned, it mostly just gouged the wood. I’m not sure what the wood was I tried next, but it was something I bought at Michaels. Some 3" round disc. I used stencils to trace on the pattern, and then did some shading.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Tailor’s Chalk
Project Name: wood burned bird
Project Link:
Brief Description: This one I had a lot of fun with. Until the stylus started to get a bit warm to the touch on the handle. I think I need to get some gloves (and a better stylus) if I’m going to keep messing around with this. I traced the stencil onto the disc with a pencil
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Iron
Project Name: wood burned owl
Project Link:
Brief Description: This is my favorite from tonight’s attempts. I love owls :heart:
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I loooooooove the pumpkins! And I bet it smelled awesome, like autumn, at your house while you did that wood burning stuff! The owl is my fave, also.

1 Like

Prompt: SEPTEMBER BATTLE Hand
Project Name: Boho Duckie Vest
Brief Description: I had to sew all the ends in by hand. Also, SBC didn’t have to nag me to post :joy:
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: You Don’t Have to Touch a Grown-Up Man ATC
Project Link: InspiroBot InspireD ATCs
Brief Description: I made a bunch of ATCs on an old piece of underpaper. The “sentiments” came from InspiroBot; this was my favorite.
Project Photo(s):
20200822_171016

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Rule 7 ATC
Brief Description: InspiroBot again. I was really happy with how this one turned out.
Project Photo(s):
20200822_170935

Prompt: Zap 3
Project Name: Liars and Witch Hunters ATC
Brief Description: One more.
Project Photo(s):
20200822_170903

2 Likes

Wow! Great job with your first wood burning! You have a good mastery starting out! I hope to see you make more!

2 Likes

Prompt: August Great white
Project Name: Beach Please cards
Project Link: Beach, Please!
Brief Description: I made these for kittykill in the happy mail swap. They are ATC sized! I think they are great because I had so much fun making them that I went from six to eight and had to stop myself from making even more! They are also great because of the little coordinating envelopes that went with them. I created the designs in canva.com.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August Bull shark
Project Name: Masks for my kiddo
Project Link: Stenciled Masks for the kiddo
Brief Description: I Stenciled these for my kiddo to wear to school but they could be used in lots of other places, too!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Interchangeable earrings
Project Link: Interchangeable earrings
Brief Description: I Made these for kittykill in The happy mail swap. I used barrel clasps to create a pair of earrings with interchangeable baubles.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes