CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2020

Prompt: August Battle: SHARKS!
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Shark Week Bullet Journal Art Page
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I’ve neglecting my BuJo for too long, but I had to so something for Shark Week! Bed Shark tried to claim he’d done the artwork…

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: Puppy Masks
Project Link: Puppy (and Shark) Mask Pattern
Brief Description: I made a ton of puppy masks!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Great White
Project Name: Shark Masks
Project Link: Puppy (and Shark) Mask Pattern
Brief Description: I made a three shark masks, it was a ton of slow hand sewing… Very intimidating to take on! And, I have to say, I think they turned out great!

Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Amelia Bearhart
Project Link: A bear and her cat
Brief Description: I made this for @gozer in the Creature Comfort Stuffie Swap. She listed that she liked animals with clothing in her list of things she likes.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Venkman tribute
Project Link: A bear and her cat
Brief Description: I made this little Venkman for Gozer because she recently lost her fur baby. He is a great companion for the aviator bear. I couldn’t have done this without photos @Bunny1kenobi helped track down for me. :heart:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

@appledainty - Your Choi Fish Tsumami-ga is absolutely beautiful. It was a stellar way to kick off the season!

@Megwell _ your ATCs are so much fun! And so are your potholders. I have seen so many since I saw these. I think you inspired people to go back to this craft! I have a couple old calendars that I need to find something to do with. Envelopes might work. Yours look great.

@Storerboughtcreations – I love your little biscornu’s. The hearts in a row one gives me serious Alice and Wonderland vibes. The dino toy is so cute. I want to snuggle it. The Apache Tears blankets are so pretty. I love the colors you chose for the blue one best. I especially love your little fur babies on it! I absolutely love the window cat cross stitch. It’s so pretty and clean looking. I love the little touches of red in the flowers. The cactus embroidery is stunning. It is so perfectly done. That front cactus amazes me. Your stitches are impeccable. You are the sweetest Aunt for that hoop. It’ so cute. Love the colors you chose. Love the shark. I was totally into Shark Week this year. The octopus and Pikachu are awesome too, but I am still in shark mode. Ha! The owl cross stitch is adorable. I love that little heart hanging from the branch too. Is it weird that I am super eager for Christmas already? You know I love my bear, but the Venkman stuffie was super sweet. It means so much. I still can’t believe he is gone. You did an amazing job on him. Thank you.

@bunnykenobi – The teeny tiny cookies are adorable. The tea towels is very pretty. The fade of the colors is great. Your Tea cabinet is amazing!!! I love all the detail work on it. I’m glad you made one for yourself too. All those teeny tiny drawers! Eeps! Your Halloween Advent items are amazing. I absolutely LOVE that first one. I also love how useful and decorative the third set is. The camper tea towel makes me smile. It’s adorable. So efficient with your fridge organizer.

@Queenhobo – The octopus is insane! Caprisun is the perfect name! the donut is cool. I bet it’s comfy to lounge on. You didn’t give the pink octopus a cool name? They are super cool, and dare I say a tad creepy in the best most awesome way ever! Neat hat and cowl. Your bird drawing very pretty. Your D&D character looks like a trickster. The heart doily pattern is so delicate and pretty.

@Geekgirl – The art journal is amazing. That looks like so much work. I can imagine each page being so cool! The ones you showed are incredible. The Altered coffee filters look so regal. Your bird ATCs are cute. I always love a crochet dishcloth. That’s pretty shades of blue. The foam stamps look fun! I like the altered tickets. The mini pocket letter is so pretty. I love purple. The butterfly embllishments are cool and I love that you made them yourself.

@roler – Crochet hangers are so useful. Yours look great. The Dugtrio sandwiches are too cute! I could never eat them!!! The masks you made look great too. Apt time for a Amabie. It reminds me of a Pokemon! Don’t give up on 2020 yet, we can still make it a great year… maybe an okay year. I love adult merit badges. Yours is cool and well earned. Absolutel PERFECT fabric for a mask! Love the stitching too. PS. Smart idea with the mirror to get both sides. The Orca hoop is cool! I like the style.

@gshillitani – Such a creative and pretty way to store your tidbits.

@Lynx – Pretty fabric on that rainbow bag. Smart to cover all the tools and awesome that you are able to do it. The key lime Cupcakes look delicious! The soccer jersey quilt is amazing. I am sure your daughter will treasure that for a lifetime. So sweet! Cool transformation on the top. The sloth with Baby Yoda made me laugh. The second RP quilt is very pretty too. That is a cue weather hoop (still love that rainbow fabric).

@Tanath – I love those little rings. Beadwork is so labor intensive and super cool! Those cookies look yummy.

@craftADDchick - Mmmmm. I bet those beans and pepper butter are tasty. Neatly done zippered pouches. Pretty octopus necklace. Love a handmade dishcloth. They are always the best.

@Smeddley – Queen of the masks! I always love to see what you come up with. So cute! I can’t believe people actually pulled the tongue! Hold on, yes I can. Ha! I think the shark one is my favorite.

4 Likes

Did you know September is National Sewing Month? The internet tells me it is, and it’s never wrong when I need a convenient theme for prompts! If you don’t sew, don’t worry, all the prompts can be fulfilled with other crafts!

September Battle - Hand vs Machine

September Theme - Sewing Month!

• Bobbin Thread - Craft something that’s useful “under the table” or “unseen”, or something that is wound, or made with thread
  • Sewing Needle - Craft something that is made of metal, is sharp, or is long and thin
  • Seam Ripper - Craft a project that took more than one try, or was a complete and utter failure (it’s fine to post an unfinished project here that you’ve given up on, as long as you sunk enough time into it already!)
  • Tailor’s Chalk - Craft something that required drafting, sketching, or other type of physical pre-planning. Or something with chalk!
  • Iron - Craft something that requires meticulous ironing, flattening, heat, or is heavy.

Prompt: September - battle - Hand
Project Name: pumpkin 1
Project Link: Pumpkins in plaid
Brief Description: I made this pumpkin using a pattern I’ve used before… Sewing it closed and making the segments required hand sewing.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Bobbin Thread
Project Name: pumpkin 2
Project Link: Pumpkins in plaid
Brief Description: This one looks more like gingham, but I love how it turned out! Yarn is sort of thread.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Snowman biscornu
Project Link: Snowman biscornu
Brief Description: I love snowmen. And I’m ready for some cold weather!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: September - Seam Ripper
Project Name: wood burned hedgehog
Project Link:
Brief Description: We bought a wood burning stylus over a year ago, and I decided to try it for the first time ever tonight. I had a lot of fun, and I didn’t burn myself (trust me, this is HUGE… I’m so clumsy)! My first attempt was on some scrap pressboard. That did not work well at all. It barely burned, it mostly just gouged the wood. I’m not sure what the wood was I tried next, but it was something I bought at Michaels. Some 3" round disc. I used stencils to trace on the pattern, and then did some shading.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Tailor’s Chalk
Project Name: wood burned bird
Project Link:
Brief Description: This one I had a lot of fun with. Until the stylus started to get a bit warm to the touch on the handle. I think I need to get some gloves (and a better stylus) if I’m going to keep messing around with this. I traced the stencil onto the disc with a pencil
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Iron
Project Name: wood burned owl
Project Link:
Brief Description: This is my favorite from tonight’s attempts. I love owls :heart:
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I loooooooove the pumpkins! And I bet it smelled awesome, like autumn, at your house while you did that wood burning stuff! The owl is my fave, also.

1 Like

Prompt: SEPTEMBER BATTLE Hand
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Boho Duckie Vest
Brief Description: I had to sew all the ends in by hand. Also, SBC didn’t have to nag me to post :joy:
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Zap 1
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: You Don’t Have to Touch a Grown-Up Man ATC
Project Link: InspiroBot InspireD ATCs
Brief Description: I made a bunch of ATCs on an old piece of underpaper. The “sentiments” came from InspiroBot; this was my favorite.
Project Photo(s):
20200822_171016

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Rule 7 ATC
Brief Description: InspiroBot again. I was really happy with how this one turned out.
Project Photo(s):
20200822_170935

Prompt: Zap 3
Project Name: Liars and Witch Hunters ATC
Brief Description: One more.
Project Photo(s):
20200822_170903

2 Likes

Wow! Great job with your first wood burning! You have a good mastery starting out! I hope to see you make more!

2 Likes

Prompt: August Great white
Project Name: Beach Please cards
Project Link: Beach, Please!
Brief Description: I made these for kittykill in the happy mail swap. They are ATC sized! I think they are great because I had so much fun making them that I went from six to eight and had to stop myself from making even more! They are also great because of the little coordinating envelopes that went with them. I created the designs in canva.com.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August Bull shark
Project Name: Masks for my kiddo
Project Link: Stenciled Masks for the kiddo
Brief Description: I Stenciled these for my kiddo to wear to school but they could be used in lots of other places, too!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Interchangeable earrings
Project Link: Interchangeable earrings
Brief Description: I Made these for kittykill in The happy mail swap. I used barrel clasps to create a pair of earrings with interchangeable baubles.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Miniature oil lamp
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this as part of a larger project, using a push pin, a glass bead and a few other jewelry bits. And glue. Lots and lots of glue.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 3
Project Name: Magnets
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for calluna in the Use What You Have swap. She asked for some strong magnets and I happened to have some in my stash!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September sewing needle
Project Name: library in an Altoids tin
Project Link: Bookshelf in a tin
Brief Description: I made this for calluna in the Use What You Have swap. The tin is metal.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September Tailor’s Chalk
Project Name: Miniature strong box
Project Link:
Brief Description: this was made to go in the Altoids tin. I had to create a pattern to cut the pieces out of mat board. After assembly they were covered in patterned paper and paint, and I also made a clasp and fabric hinge. I made the goodies that went inside the box, as well.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Difficult choice of which team to join this time, but since I’ve been doing a lot of art lately… :slight_smile:

Prompt: September Battle - Hand vs Machine
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: ATCs
Project Link:
Brief Description: A trio of ATCs made by hand!
Project Photo(s):
2008sbtriocistt
If anyone is curious as it is a bit hard to read, the magic potions used mermaid tears, fairy dust and ground dragon scales. :wink:

2 Likes

Prompt: September - Tailor’s Chalk
Project Name: carolina wren ATC
Project Link: Carolina Wren ATC
Brief Description: This little guy required a very light sketch phase in order to get the right proportions for his little body. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

820wacfas

3 Likes

Prompt: August - Nurse Shark
Project Name: cat and bird coins
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these cat and bird coins and gave them to Kwality in the OWS. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Creeping Ivy
Project Name: both girl art coins
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these girl coins (they both have long thin strands of hair!) for Kwality in the OWS. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Hammerhead Shark
Project Name: Kwailty coin ATC coin
Project Link: A Kwality Koin for Kwality!
Brief Description: It’s an art coin that looks like a coin! :wink: This guy required the tools of a pencil to draw plus a brush for the watercolor colors. Made for Kwality in the OWS. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):
2008kxanpitjsk1

4 Likes

Prompt: zap #1
Project Name: Camera ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: An instax camera for the ATC swap. Blurred because it hasn’t been received yet. It took at least 30 minutes, but I ran out of prompts this could fit! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

2009icfthelks

Prompt: zap #2
Project Name: Halloween Hello Kitty
Project Link:
Brief Description: A Halloween Hello Kitty for the ATC swap. Blurred because it hasn’t been received yet. It took at least 30 minutes, but I ran out of prompts this could fit! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

2009khalsifc

2 Likes

Before I forget to ask, what does OWS stand for? I looked at the swap once and couldn’t figure it out. :blush:

Now on to your fun art. That Kwality Coin is so cute and it cracks me up. I bet she enjoys it! The “did something scary” ATC feels like it could be a badge we all strive to achieve in current times on a daily basis. And that kitty coin :heart_eyes_cat:

Your last two blurred pieces are super cute, but I won’t say anything else in case your swap partner stops by :blush:

1 Like

Thank you! :blush: Sorry! I’m so used to using the initials… it means the Ongoing Wish Swap. :blush:

1 Like

Prompt: August - Great White Shark
Project Name: Punkin stack ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: That middle punkin sure looks intimidating to me! :wink: I made this for the ATC swap. Blurred because it hasn’t been received yet.
Project Photo(s):

2009lslkyfos

Prompt: July - Tall grasses
Project Name: Happy mail envie
Project Link: Cemetery themed happy mail
Brief Description: An envie hides the content inside to keep it safe! :slight_smile: made for the Happy Mail swap.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Clover
Project Name: RIP cards
Brief Description: a set of four RIP cards honoring things of the past. :slight_smile: Made this for the happy mail swap :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Flowers
Project Name: Cemetery stickers
Brief Description: these stickers are not only colorful, but the florals have petals too! :slight_smile: Made this for the happy mail swap :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):
2018smfothehm

Prompt: July - Shrubbery
Project Name: Bride of Frankenstein ATC
Brief Description: The bride has a bushy hairdo. :slight_smile: Made this for the happy mail swap :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):
2008bofcfthpms

Prompt: August - Bull Shark
Project Name: Cemetery bunting
Brief Description: buntings can be put in many different places! Made this for the happy mail swap :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Tiger Shark
Project Name: Cemetery bookmark
Brief Description: As this bookmark took a while to draw and render, it required tenacity and perseverance. :slight_smile: Made this for the happy mail swap :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Ok! Whew! Think I’ve uploaded everything now. :smiley:

2 Likes

Prompt: September Iron
Team: knotty by nature
Project Name: Sleepy Dino for Squishy
Brief Description: A friend of mine just found out she was pregnant after trying for years and giving up. Shes really into dinosaurs so be prepared for dino overload :joy:
I think it fits the prompt because I had to flatten the belly. Which was easier than said than done.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes