CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2021

Prompt: Pumpkin Bread (September)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Emergency “Brownies”
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: These are baked and brown. They also contain multiple types of ingredients, namely the ones in the recipe and the baking powder I accidentally added because I was prepping two different things at the same time :woman_facepalming:t2:. So really, I made cake.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Bread… cake… whichever this is, it looks and sounds yummy!

I mean, it definitely works, just not as a brownie :laughing:. I thought I’d scooped most of the BP out, but it’s still so. fluffy.

1 Like

I absolutely loved swapping with you! Brought back memories of other swaps we did. I love my entire package! :hearts:

1 Like

Prompt: Big Time
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Blooming Tiles mosaic
Project Link: Blooming Tiles Mosaic blanket
Brief Description: I absolutely love this blanket!
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: September Battle - Spice
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: Northern Lights 8x10
Project Link: Northern Lights 8x10
Brief Description: The stars in this painting look like a sprinkling of celestial spice across the heavens… (so poetic! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

I love this. SO MUCH! It’s just gorgeous. I would hang it on the wall in my bedroom and pretend it was a window I was looking out every night :heart:

1 Like

Aw, thank you!!!

It IS hanging on the wall in my bedroom :hearts: I love looking at it. It’s a gorgeous piece :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Prompt: Spice (September Battle)
Project Name: Location, Location, Location
Project Link: Location, Location, Location (Altered Junk Mail 4x6)
Brief Description: I spiced up a junk mail ad to create some beachfront property.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: August - Scissors
Project Name: beachy earrings
Project Link: Beach-y earrings
Brief Description: I made these for @Lynx. They have metal parts
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - pencil box
Project Name: Altoids needle book
Project Link: Needle book / storage tin
Brief Description: I made this for @storerboughtcreation in the OTTSP swap. It is rectangular AND it stores stuff!
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: September- pumpkin spice pie
Project Name: HP Hoop
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for @Ewulotta in a personal swap. It’s round.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September- pumpkin spice latte
Project Name: Barbie horse ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made for my daughter for her birthday. The horse is tan (like a latte)
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September- pumpkin patch
Project Name: Bee-youtiful hoop
Project Link: Bee-utiful Cheese Box “Hoop”
Brief Description: this has multiple honeycombs on it. And multiple flowers. But only one :honeybee:.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September- pumpkin bread
Project Name: Alice shrine
Project Link: Tea Time shrine
Brief Description: This has multiple ingredients-paper, glue, ribbon roses, and beads.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: September- pumpkin booze
Project Name: Beaded jewelry
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for @Ewulotta.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: free range #1
Project Name: Anniversary ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: made for my honey for our anniversary!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free range #2
Project Name: Christmas tags
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made for the scavenger hunt swap.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: Christmas tag reuse
Project Link:
Brief Description: I got beautiful tags in the scavenger hunt swap. I added some stickers to make them usable for gift giving this year!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: leather and lace earrings
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for the scavenger hunt swap.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Free range #3
Project Name: vendetta bag
Project Link:
Brief Description: My Aunt and Uncle invented a game called Vendetta. It’s similar to Sorry, with some brutal differences! It’s way fun! Anyway, it has a large wooden hexagonal playing board that my parents made for us, and you use pegs for your pieces, using the holes that are drilled into the board -also two decks of playing cards. Well… getting packed up to move, I didn’t want any of the parts for the game to be misplaced so I made a big drawstring bag to put it all into before packing it away.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: Free range #4
Project Name: two wild cake
Project Link: Two Wild cake
Brief Description: I made this cake for my granddaughter’s birthday.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free range #5
Project Name: patchwork cards
Project Link: “Patchwork” duo
Brief Description: I made these for my FIL’s bday and for happy mail for my MIL.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free range #6
Project Name: spider card
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this card for a friend.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #5
Project Name: animal picks
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for my granddaughter’s cake.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: Pumpkin Booze (September)
Project Name: Happy mail cards 1
Project Link: Masterboard Happy Mail Cards (Or, What I Did During My Saturday Morning Zoom Meeting)
Brief Description: I took advantage of a Zoom meeting to make some cards, and I don’t have the brain power tonight to bend any of the other prompts far enough :laughing: .
Project Photo(s):
20210925_154338
Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Happy mail cards 2
Project Link: Masterboard Happy Mail Cards (Or, What I Did During My Saturday Morning Zoom Meeting)
Brief Description: Same cards, different batch.
Project Photo(s):
20210925_154238

I have seven more projects done that I can’t post until they are opened in December for the 12 Days of Christmas swap. I feel so far behind this season because I’ve been crafting away but can’t post. But here is one I nearly forgot to post here!

Prompt: September - Battle - Pumpkin
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: trivet for @Bunny1kenobi
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for Bunny1kenobi in a personal swap we did. I almost forgot to post it!
Project Photo(s):

1 Like

Prompt: Free Range 2
Project Name: G is for Germs ATC
Brief Description: Made for Lynx2Lancer in the Ongoing ATC swap.
Project Photo(s): Photo by L2L, because I keep forgetting to take one before I pack cards up.
20210928_065702_compress10

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: Art journal page
Brief Description: Made because I wanted to destress/play with markers.
Project Photo(s):
20210927_185517

2 Likes

Sneaking in a couple of small things… I had plans to be much more productive tonight (my evening was 100% clear), but a co-worker did something today that really aggravated me, and I haven’t been able to get past it yet, so I just couldn’t focus on making anything besides dinner.

Prompt: August- Binder
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Magpie Fabric Bead!
Project Link: Magpie's Scrappy Bead Class SU: 9/11-9/22 Class on 9/25 - #82 by craftADDchick

Brief Description: I took Magpie’s Scrappy Bead Class this weekend as a refresher (I took the class at the Asheville meetup), and it’s made by layering bits of fabric on felt. It took me about an hour to make, but I expect that now that I remember how to make them, the next ones will be a little faster. I don’t know what I’m using them for, yet, since I only have two. But, it was a fun class, and well worth the price of admission!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September- Pumpkin Booze
Project Name: Dear Jane Quilt Practice Block
Project Link: Quilt-along 2021 - #1890 by craftADDchick

Brief Description: My mom, my aunt, and I (and maybe my sister) are going to attempt to make a Dear Jane Quilt, and my aunt found free patterns for each block (every block is different, and there are over 150, plus triangles around the perimeter). The patterns require foundation paper piecing, which my mom has never done. She found a method that makes the blocks very neatly, and this is a practice block I made to walk her through the technique. I made another one using the method I had done in the past, and I think the new method is far superior- my block came out almost perfect (especially compared to the first one I made).

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

I really have not done a lot of crafting lately, and I miss it. But there is one unbelievably awesome thing that happened… mostly not because of me, because of a friend… WHO QUILTED MY QUILT FOR ME.

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: A Quilt 25+ Years in the Making!
Project Link: QUILT!
Brief Description: I started this thing in… 1995? 1996? And a friend heard about it and said if I’d finish putting the top together, SHE WOULD HAND QUILT IT FOR ME. So of course, I finally got off my duff and sewed the last of it together. Check the link for more pictures, including the surprise she stitched on it for me!
Project Photo(s):

And a few other, less impressive things…

Prompt: September Battle: Pumpkin vs Spice (Pumpkin)
Project Name: Crochet Pumpkin!
Brief Description: Just a new crochet pumpkin pattern that popped up on my FB feed that I had to try!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Sept Pumpkin Patch
Project Name: Gnome signs
Brief Description: For Gnomeageddon, a few signs for some planters!
Project Photo(s):

These next several are all featured in the same picture, so I’m going to put it up front. I’m too tired and it’s too late and I kept forgetting to take individual pictures…

I’ve already posted for the Japanese Stab Journals (back right) and I know the Coptic Stitch on the left looks a lot like the gnome journal, but it’s not, I promise! I had two sets of covers made from ages ago and I made one plain and one gnome! The mini mini books just have glued-in pages, but all the rest have stitched signatures glued into covers with edge bits and everything. I have more signatures I’ve stitched that I still need to finish off… one of these days…

Prompt: August - Glue Stick
Project Name: Blue/Purple Journals
Brief Description: The two on the left and right that have blue pages, they are made slightly differently as the blue one has a fabric spine and the purple is just a fold-around (the blue works much, much better)
Project Photo(s): See above

Prompt: August Scissors
Project Name: Red Journals
Brief Description: The two in the center (one upright, one not) with the orange pages, these I used painted fabric for the spines to get the color I wanted, and it worked okay (I started with watercolor but it was too light, so I went with acrylic).

Prompt: August Pencil Box
Project Name: Green Journals
Brief Description: Front center. This time I used spray inks to tint the fabric for the spines.

Prompt: August Binder
Project Name: Purple Journals
Brief Description: These are the hardest to see, but there are two purply covers with orange pages under the red upright one. They were my least favorite, hence their placement

Prompt: July City Vacation
Project Name: Coptic Stitch Journal
Brief Description: It’s definitely bright! (Back Left) I’m getting better with coptic stitch, they’re less wobbly than they used to be.

Prompt: Free-Range 1
Project Name: Mini mini journals
Brief Description: Made with the leftover scraps of the acrylic pouring pieces I’d been using for the covers of the others, I made a joke at gaming (tabletop RPG) that I’d turned a leaf and was prepared to start taking notes… and now I’m stuck taking notes in the smallest gaming journal ever.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Sept Pumpkin Spice Pie
Project Name: 3 Wooden Gnomes!
Brief Description: Um, yes… Gmoneaggedon again… just some wooden gnomes I painted.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time 2
Project Name: Gnome Pillow
Brief Description: Man, this thing took me forever! I tried to run the color changes but it made it too bulky so there are a LOT of tied off things in the back, but hey, they’re hidden in a pillow, right? Bet you can’t guess what this is for!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July Staycation
Project Name: Pumpkin Drink Recipe Cards
Brief Description: Made these for an evening of Boozin’ with the Bookaholics (over Zoom!), the We Be Bookin’ FB reading group, and I definitely needed them, considering the book we were discussing (which I will not name here, but if you look up Carlton Mellick “The Haunted…” it will come up, but it is NSFW)
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July Beach Vacation
Project Name: Watercolor Art
Brief Description: For the “Blind Date with a Book” Event for We Be Bookin’, we wrap and send mystery books that people have chosen based on the 5 key words you provide. The art part is optional, but hey! Why not? The book I sent was Florida Roadkill by Tim Dorsey, so I illustrated my key words and did a flamingo bookmark since there’s a flamingo on the cover.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 2
Project Name: Dress Alteration
Brief Description: A work friend couldn’t quite get her bridesmaid dress zipped, so I offered to construct a corset-lace system for the back. I preserved the top of the original zipper, just tacked it down, and moved the hook and eye to the top of where the zipper now needed to end. It worked!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 3
Project Name: Gnome rock the first
Brief Description: I mean, it’s a gnome, on a rock… that was previously acrylic poured…
Project Photo(s):
Gnome Rock

Prompt: Free Range 4
Project Name: Gnome Rocks the second and third
Brief Description: Oh, hey, look, more gnomes?
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 5
Project Name: Gnome Mini Canvases
Brief Description: Wow, would you look at that, who would have guessed more gnomes?
Project Photo(s):

Between what we’ve made and what we’ve bought, the gnome count is about 125 and still growing…

2 Likes