CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2021

I was serious, some of the prompts are harder to interpretation. Being open is great for the people who manages to connect the dots, but sometimes I’m so focused on the exact words that I struggle to see “the whole picture”. But it’s fun, even when it’s difficult :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Prompt: July Beach Vacation
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: Armoire for steiconi
Project Link:
Brief Description: This miniature armoire was made for steiconi in a private swap. It’s a tan color with rose accents.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July Staycation
Project Name: Armoire for me!
Project Link: Mini armoire
Brief Description: This miniature armoire is one that I made for myself, and it will be used around the house- my future dollhouse! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap!
Project Name: minimalist earrings
Project Link: Minimalist earrings
Brief Description: Put these together real quick-like. :hugs:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

I admire miniature skills, although I don’t know what I’d do with them myself. Miniature magnets? Anyway, nice job! I love how the drawer pulls out and the pretty liner.

I have a bunch of new things, but can’t share yet, cuz…swaps!

2 Likes

Prompt: July - Staycation
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Pin banner
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: We needed a solution for our enamel pin collection. I expected it to be a quick project, but it ended up taking me like two hours because the silly pom pom trim was so tiny. But, I love how it turned out!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Scissors
Project Name: Pin banner
Brief Description: It was my partner’s sister’s birthday, and she was starting to like enamel pins, too. I sewed her a banner, and gave her a few to add to her growing collection.

Prompt: July - City vacation
Project Name: Tokitae watercolor
Brief Description: I love GISH. I also barely have any time for fun anymore. I decided I would sign up and try to make some projects happen this year! This one was a prompt to create a watercolor picture with a haiku about saving/reuniting the orca, Tokitae, with her family. She was stolen 50 years ago, and has been held captive at the Miami Seaquarium ever since. You can learn more here: https://www.savelolita.org/

Prompt: July - Beach vacation
Project Name: Giant sunhat
Brief Description: Another GISH project. This one was to make a giant sunhat out of recyclable materials. It has a big sun painted on top, but the pun was lost to wind and sunny lighting. :smiley:

Prompt: August - Glue stick
Project Name: Loki from MMs & Skittles
Brief Description: GISH again. This one was to make a picture of Tom Hiddleston as Loki out of MMs & Skittles. It did not turn out how I wanted at all. I kept laughing at how bad it was going and trying to embrace it. In the end, it got done, though!

Prompt: August - Binder
Project Name: Barbie’s new job
Brief Description: And my last GISH proejct was to give Barbie a dirty job. I chose to make her a porta potty cleaner. I made the porta potties out of paper and cardboard (there is actually a row of them, though you can pretty much only see the one).

7 Likes

Bahahaha!!! :joy: Those porta-potties!

The pin banners are such a great idea, and the trim was worth the time investment!

GISH is awesome for coming up with great crafting ideas! Your sun hat is great- look at all the shade it makes! And that’s a lovely watercolor, too. Loki looks even more delicious than usual! :wink:

2 Likes

Prompt: July- Hiking vacation
Project Name: Baldur ATC
Project Link: Baldur and a T-Rex heart - FAMILY ATCs
Brief Description: I made this for my DIL for her bday. Battle axes are both rugged and utilitarian. For the back story, click the link! :blush:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- glue stick
Project Name: T-Rex heart ATC
Project Link: Baldur and a T-Rex heart - FAMILY ATCs
Brief Description: Made this for my son for his bday. The drawing is glued to heavy card stock. For the backstory, click the link! :blush:
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: July- City vacation
Project Name: Hair clips
Project Link: Hair clip collaboration
Brief Description: I made these from some colorful crocheted flower pins I got from @madebyBeaG in the Use It Or Lose It giveaway. I removed the pins and replaced them with barrettes.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: card boxes
Project Link:
Brief Description: I painted card boxes with my son’s and DIL’s initials. These are for storing the ATCs I made them (and those I will make in the future).
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Thank you! The blanket pattern is called Irish Lace. You make seven panels, squares you attach as you go, then attach the panels. It’s not really hard just tedious. In theory you can finish it in maybe a week or close to that if you’re really dedicated. I’m not sure if it’ll glow under a blacklight, I think it might? Unfortunately I don’t have a black light to test it. The watercolor look was a complete fluke :sweat_smile: The Croki is a simple pattern and I got the helmet from a Loki doll pattern then just sewed them together.

3 Likes

Prompt: research project
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Pooh Bear sweater
Project Link: Classic Pooh knit sweater
Brief Description: I made this for the same person I made the yellow and grey baby blanket for. She hasn’t seen it yet. She only picked the patch she wanted and chose blue for the sweater. She doesn’t even know what shade of blue. I love how this turned out. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Really cute!!!

1 Like

Prompt: August Binder
Project Name: watercolor paintings
Project Link: Watercolor trio
Brief Description: I painted these for my sister in law for her birthday. They are made with paper.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: July - Hiking Vacation
Project Name: jewel toned trivet
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this as a housewarming gift for @roler. She was kind enough to send a photo for me so I can post here because my dodo brain forgot to take one before mailing it. :crazy_face: I made this trivet in jewel tones to go with her decor. Trivets are utilitarian, right?
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Oh my gosh I LOVE that trivet! Please file away in your memory banks that I’d live a black, red and gray one (or three) if we are ever partners in another swap!! :wink:

4 Likes

Prompt: August Battle -Wide Ruled-
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: I feel the cosmos
Brief Description: As most of you know I have two daughters, Beast Jr my 9 year old and Grumpy Frog my 3 year old. Well Grumpy Frog decided her baby was cold so she needed a special handmade blanket and gave me her best puppy dog eyes. Then chose this pattern which while it was easy left me more ends to weave in than I had hoped for. I chose to use this for the wide ruled cause the arms are held open wide.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

That is such a fun pattern!

1 Like

Very cute!! And how on earth are those girls THAT OLD already???! Didn’t I just see them yesterday?

2 Likes

Duuuuude. Ikr!?! Beast Jr just started fourth grade. Grumpy Frog is already 3! Kids. They make me feel like I’m aging too fast :crazy_face:

1 Like

August has been my month to make lots and lots and lots of mini envies! Because they are mostly the same idea, I posted a lot in the same general post, but since they are different in style, I am going to count them as different prompts. Okay, here goes:

Prompt: August: Battle: Wide Ruled
Project Name: Lettuce Craft Branded Mini Envelopes
Brief Description: I am choosing wide ruled because the lettering is large on the tiny envelopes.
Project Photo:

Prompt: August: Glue Stick
Project Name: Masterboard Mini Envelopes
Brief Description: I used glue to attach the masterboards to the envelopes.
Project Photo:

Prompt: August: Scissors
Project Name: Embrace Your Inner Witch Card and Envelope Set
Brief Description: I used my guillotine cutter to cut out small pieces for this.
Project Photo:

Prompt: August: Pencil Box
Project Name: My "Mini" Manila-style Envelope Obsession (tutorial)
Brief Description: These envelopes can hold atcs and even gift cards! Watch for some on the next STS!
Project Photo:

Prompt: August: Binder
Project Name: Summer Chili
Brief Description: Chili, by description, is made by mixing several things together!
Project Photo:

Prompt: August: Ruler
Project Name: Lettuce Craft Stencil Set and Matching Mini Envies
Brief Description: This is long and thin and I made it on my Cricut with old transparency paper. I needed precise cutting to make them work as stencils the way I wanted
Project Photo:

(This was very hard to capture in a photograph.)

5 Likes

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: bbq chicken French bread pizza
Project Link:
Brief Description: We cooked some chicken in the crockpot yesterday. We had Italian chicken sandwiches then, but we made too much chicken. We separated out some before making the sandwiches, and tonight we used the leftover chicken to make a bbq chicken French bread pizza.

We heated up the chicken in bbq sauce, put on some pineapple, olives, cheese, and cashews. It baked up quickly and tastes so yummy. :drooling_face: I love quick dinners.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Edited 8/29 to add a project link
Adding photos when I switch to my phone.
Prompt: Glue Stick (August)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Floral masterboard
Brief Description: Made for photojenn the Masterboard Swap. There are collage elements stuck with glue (matte medium).
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Scissors (August)
Project Name: Locket ATC
Brief Description: Made for bluebird in the July ATC Swap. Lockets are traditionally made of metal.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Pencil Box (August)
Project Name: Abstract masterboard
Brief Description: Made for photojenn the Masterboard Swap. It’s rectangular.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Ruler (August)
Project Name: Altered Ad 4x6
Project Link: Currently N/A (but may do one later) Added 8/29: Altered Photo Ad 4x6
Brief Description: Made for the 4x6 Round 4 Swap, which means the measurements had to be precise.
Project Photo(s): Can now unblur

Prompt: Narrow Ruled (August Battle)
Project Name: Book page masterboard
Brief Description: Made for photojenn the Masterboard Swap. It’s on a page from the Chicago Manual of Style, which has fairly narrow (usage) rules. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes