CLOSED: Nerd Games - Summer 2021

That is such a fun pattern!

1 Like

Very cute!! And how on earth are those girls THAT OLD already???! Didn’t I just see them yesterday?

2 Likes

Duuuuude. Ikr!?! Beast Jr just started fourth grade. Grumpy Frog is already 3! Kids. They make me feel like I’m aging too fast :crazy_face:

1 Like

August has been my month to make lots and lots and lots of mini envies! Because they are mostly the same idea, I posted a lot in the same general post, but since they are different in style, I am going to count them as different prompts. Okay, here goes:

Prompt: August: Battle: Wide Ruled
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: Lettuce Craft Branded Mini Envelopes
Brief Description: I am choosing wide ruled because the lettering is large on the tiny envelopes.
Project Photo:

Prompt: August: Glue Stick
Project Name: Masterboard Mini Envelopes
Brief Description: I used glue to attach the masterboards to the envelopes.
Project Photo:

Prompt: August: Scissors
Project Name: Embrace Your Inner Witch Card and Envelope Set
Brief Description: I used my guillotine cutter to cut out small pieces for this.
Project Photo:

Prompt: August: Pencil Box
Project Name: My "Mini" Manila-style Envelope Obsession (tutorial)
Brief Description: These envelopes can hold atcs and even gift cards! Watch for some on the next STS!
Project Photo:

Prompt: August: Binder
Project Name: Summer Chili
Brief Description: Chili, by description, is made by mixing several things together!
Project Photo:

Prompt: August: Ruler
Project Name: Lettuce Craft Stencil Set and Matching Mini Envies
Brief Description: This is long and thin and I made it on my Cricut with old transparency paper. I needed precise cutting to make them work as stencils the way I wanted
Project Photo:

(This was very hard to capture in a photograph.)

5 Likes

Prompt: Zap
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: bbq chicken French bread pizza
Project Link:
Brief Description: We cooked some chicken in the crockpot yesterday. We had Italian chicken sandwiches then, but we made too much chicken. We separated out some before making the sandwiches, and tonight we used the leftover chicken to make a bbq chicken French bread pizza.

We heated up the chicken in bbq sauce, put on some pineapple, olives, cheese, and cashews. It baked up quickly and tastes so yummy. :drooling_face: I love quick dinners.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Edited 8/29 to add a project link
Adding photos when I switch to my phone.
Prompt: Glue Stick (August)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Floral masterboard
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Made for photojenn the Masterboard Swap. There are collage elements stuck with glue (matte medium).
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Scissors (August)
Project Name: Locket ATC
Brief Description: Made for bluebird in the July ATC Swap. Lockets are traditionally made of metal.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Pencil Box (August)
Project Name: Abstract masterboard
Brief Description: Made for photojenn the Masterboard Swap. It’s rectangular.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Ruler (August)
Project Name: Altered Ad 4x6
Project Link: Currently N/A (but may do one later) Added 8/29: Altered Photo Ad 4x6
Brief Description: Made for the 4x6 Round 4 Swap, which means the measurements had to be precise.
Project Photo(s): Can now unblur

Prompt: Narrow Ruled (August Battle)
Project Name: Book page masterboard
Brief Description: Made for photojenn the Masterboard Swap. It’s on a page from the Chicago Manual of Style, which has fairly narrow (usage) rules. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: August Battle - Wide Ruled
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Bulbous Bouffant ATC
Project Link: Some Summer ATCs
Brief Description: It feels very wrong to me to choose wide ruled because I don’t think I EVER used it; I was very much a narrow ruled notebook person, but the letters in here definitely would require some wide margins, and the lines in the background are spaced pretty far apart!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Glue Stick
Project Name: Postage Stamps ATC
Project Link: same as above
Brief Description: I use a lot of glue for my ATCs!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Pencil Box
Project Name: Horror Movie ATC
Brief Description: ATCs are rectangular! (And I use pencils for them too!)
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Binder
Project Name: Bulbasaur ATC
Brief Description: This is made with paper, and I keep it in my ATC binder!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Ruler
Project Name: Espeon ATC
Brief Description: ATCs must be exactly 2.5"x3.5".
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Scissors
Project Name: Pica Pau Owl
Project Link: Pica Pau Owl!
Brief Description: Amigurumi require scissors to make.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

So many awesome ATCs! And the owl is adorable!

2 Likes

Prompt: July- ski vacation
Project Name: northern lights painting
Project Link: Northern Lights painting
Brief Description: The northern lights are best seen where it’s cold outside.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August battle- Narrow Ruled
Project Name: Tiny notes
Project Link: Mini notecards
Brief Description: The cute stripes on these notes and matching envelopes are reminiscent of narrow ruled paper. Oh- and they are made of paper, too!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: August - Glue Stick
Project Name: Ocean themed blanket in blues
Project Link: Ocean blankets and cozy fox
Brief Description: I made this blanket for @LovelyMiss in a personal swap. I tried to use blues that went with the color palette she sent me for her bedroom decor
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Binder
Project Name: Cozy fox
Brief Description: Also for LovelyMiss in our personal swap. Amigurumis are made with multiple pieces that need to be joined.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Pencil Box
Project Name: Trivet
Project Link: Trivet/hotpad
Brief Description: Also made for LovelyMiss. This trivet is made in a square shape, and a square is a rectangle.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Battle - Wide Ruled
Project Name: Ocean themed blanket in teals
Brief Description: I made this blanket before I made the blue themed blanket. I decided the teals weren’t the right color palette based on what Lovelymiss shared. I am not sure what I’ll do with this one. Maybe someone wants to swap? Or I’ll donate it to a shelter.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Oh my gosh, @storerboughtcreation, I can’t believe you remade it! They are both beautiful! Thanks for everything! I’ll be posting my projects once your package arrives.

2 Likes

@bunny1kenobi, those watercolor flowers are gorgeous, as is the northern lights painting! The little envelopes are so cute, too!

@storerboughtcreation, that intertwined crochet trivet is so cool. And you are a crocheting MACHINE. I know I say it all the time, buy you blow me away!

@QueenHobo, oooh, what a cute star doll snuggie!

@Lynx, loving the envelopes, I have been trying to get into junk journalling and I need to make something like those…

@megwell, such great art boards!

@roler, those ATCs are GENIUS. I love the vegetable horror.

3 Likes

Prompt: August battle- Narrow Ruled
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Gnome Book
Brief Description: Coptic Stitch book with a gnome theme from Gnome-a-geddon, now postponed so expect tons more gnomey goodness! The cover has both wide and narrow stripes, but I’m a narrow ruled fan!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: Horse Cross Stitch
Brief Description: For the Hoopla swap!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: Owl Buttons
Brief Description: Made some owl buttons and magnets for the ongoing owling of my friend’s house!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: Gnome Buttons
Brief Description: For… you guessed it… gnomageddon!
Project Photo(s):

I have some more to upload but the website is doing this really weird picture flashing thing and I’m worried it’s going to fail, so I’m going to stop there and do the others later. I have next week off work so hopefully I’ll get some more crafts done!

5 Likes

Ooh! I love all of the gnomes you’ve been sharing. I’m looking forward to more!

Also, yay for a whole week off! I hope we can play more Animal Crossing together then :blush:

2 Likes

Prompt: August- Narrow Ruled
Project Name: I-Cord Test Subject
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: This isn’t what I had intended to post as a project, but the craft mojo has been in deep hiding. So, when I was working on clearing off my craft table, I found this partially finished I-Cord (made with a knitting Jenny that has a crank). I added a little more length to it the other night. It was originally destined to be a bowl that I had planned to felt. But, I think I may have bought a non-felting yarn. In any case, this was going to become a trivet, but it started to form a cup shape as I was stitching it together (by hand). It’s only about 3" tall, and isn’t really big enough to be anything, or flat enough on the bottom to be useful. So, I will be using it as my experimental piece to throw into the wash to see if it actually felts. I still have enough I-Cord to make a trivet. I might try to machine stitch it together (zig-zag stitch), even if the felting doesn’t work.

Question for those with I-Cord experience… it really wanted to twist on me. Is there a way to keep that from happening? Or, is it a natural result of the mechanism of the mechanical knitting Jenny?

Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

I’ve never used that tool before, but when knitting icord on dpns, I have to occasionally tug the icord down from needles to help keep it straight. Can you do that with the knitting Jenny?

Another thing that can help is going up a needle size or two.

1 Like

I think anything done in the round tends to twist. Can you make a plant mat out of what you have? I use scraps of leftover yarn and then periodically make a scrappy mat…someone here used a fabric backing and did a cool design using i-cord…it is a lovely shade of blue and a project that is good when the crafting mojo wanes…

1 Like

@storerboughtcreation, Thanks for the tip! I’ve never done i-cord with actual knitting needles, but keeping it tugged (it comes with a weight, but I may not have used it consistently) is a good idea.

@AIMR, I have another i-cord made with a non-mechanical knitting jenny, and it doesn’t seem to have the twist, but it isn’t very long. This cord seemed straight at the start, but developed the twist partway through. However, since a plant mat could be a good use of the remainder, I will probably just not fight the twist when I stitch it together.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay, the new prompts for the last moth of the Summer Nerd Games are up! I’m in denial it’s still “summer”, as you might guess from the prompts… :rofl:

2 Likes

Prompt: Research Project #2
Project Name: HP biscornu
Project Link: Harry Potter biscornu/ornament
Brief Description: I made this for jillybeans in the OTT secret pal swap. It took me several hours to design the charts for this. I used four different patterns to create the pattern for this project. Then I had to stitch both pieces and attach. I felt like the oatmeal colored aida looked enough like parchment that I decided to do a marauders map theme for the back. I love one. It’s so colorful, and was a lot of fun to stitch up.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes