CLOSED - Nerd Games - Summer 2022

Last night @QueenHobo came over and we crocheted together after spending the day at a lake. She set a timer for one minute, and we worked a row of single crochets until the timer beeped. At the end of that 60 seconds, QueenHobo had worked 20 stitches and I had worked 35. So apparently I do crochet a bit faster. But if you go to YouTube and search for the world’s fastest crocheter, I have nothing on that lady. She is crazy fast.

3 Likes

I’ve seen that video! She IS crazy fast!!

1 Like

Prompt: July - Ambrose - The Great Graphite Gripes
Team: berserker Barbarian
Project Name: hair cutter bag
Project Link:
Brief Description: my dad got a hair and beard trimmer today, but no bag was included. He was able to move his new beard trimmer into the bag his old trimmer was in, but he had nothing for the hair trimmer and guides/combs that come with it. I crocheted a bag with some black yarn @QueenHobo let me use while at her house. He wanted me to be sure I show off his new trimmer.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

That’s a pretty cool trimmer! And how lucky is he to have a daughter who can whip up a quick bag for all of the accoutrements!

2 Likes

OKAY! I think I’ve sent out all the clues for July, I know I missed a few out that have been posted but they’ll be in the next round. If you think something is off or wrong, please do not hesitate to contact me. I’d say I’m a bit fuzzy because this is my third week of wicked allergies and just feeling so stuffy, but I think we all know I’m a bit flighty and irresponsible at the best of times, so that’s no excuse!

3 Likes

Prompt: July Prompt - Naomi - A Stitch in Time
Team: Wizened Wizards
Project Name: Floral Skull Rocking Chair
Project Link: Floral Skull Rocking Chair
Brief Description: I refinished this vintage bentwood rocking chair, and reupholstered it with blue and white striped linen. Also, created the skull embroidery on the seat back. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Peter – Bridge – Wendy – The Right Stabilizer
Team: Wizards
Project Name: Music Icons Mini Pocket Letter
Project Link: Musical Icons Pocket Letter
Brief Description: I used glue to adhere these ATCs to another piece of thick paper to stabilize them better.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Peter – Bridge – Wendy – Pockets
Project Name: Dino Tote Bag
Project Link: Dino Tote Bag
Brief Description: Totes are made to carry things and are very useful. PS. I love this fabric!!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: August Battle - Meadow/Talk to Aimee
Team: Nurturing Druid
Project Name: Book Jacket
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I spent the first week of August gishing! Lots of fun projects came out of it, as usual. I sewed this little jacket for a literal interpretation of “book jacket.” I’m talking to Aimee the Rogue Quilter, so it’s a sewing project.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Meadow - Aimee - Printing the Pattern
Project Name: Debt Gala Dress
Brief Description: Another gish project. This prompt required us to use old bills and receipts to make a dress for the “Debt Gala” à la the Met Gala.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Meadow - Aimee - Stitch Length
Project Name: Celebrity Dress Up
Brief Description: Yes, more gish. This one wanted us “dressing up” a favorite celebrity using the world around us. I selected one image to represent it here, but it was a video with 50 different pictures like this.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Meadow - Aimee - Ironing is Key
Project Name: Our Flag Means Creation
Brief Description: For this gish prompt, we had to create a flag that represented our team. I designed, cut, and sewed it, and really like how it turned out. The letters are iron-on vinyl, everything else is fabric (and the thread on the needle is yarn).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Meadow - Aimee - Cutting Rulers
Project Name: Pocket Dress
Brief Description: Gish wanted a garment made entirely of pockets. My mom and I worked on this one together, but I still did way more than 30 minutes of work on it. The whole dress is just rows of pockets. We filled them with Beanie Babies because it was dumb and funny, and had to show off the pockets somehow. :joy:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Meadow- Aimee - Batting
Project Name: Everything Bagel
Brief Description: Again, for gish, they wanted us to bake a bagel and fill it with “everything,” like in the movie Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. I baked a giant bagel from scratch (I was limited to the pot size I had to boil it, or it would have been bigger!). It was just a little under 12" across by the time it was done. I filled it with my favorite things and important people.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: We Create, Therefore We Live
Brief Description: Last gish thing I’ll submit, though there were definitely some more! We had to use craft supplies and/or other stuff to make this quote.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Acrylic Panel Collage - Self-Portrait
Project Link: Acrylic Panel Collage
Brief Description: There’s more info in the link. This is my crafty self-portrait for the prize event! It was a beast of an undertaking - much more than I anticipated. It was easily 40 hours of work fussy cutting, arranging (and rearranging, and rearranging, and rearranging) to make the layers effective, and researching WTF I was even trying to do. But, I like it!

Project Photo(s):

And, here is my crafty character sheet, also for the prize event:

6 Likes

Prompt: July - By Hook or by Crook
Team: Berserker Barbarian
Project Name: Snorlax ami
Project Link: Snorlax amigurumi
Brief Description: I definitely used a hook to make this chonky friend Snorlax for the work library! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

So quishy!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Prompt: August - Forest - Aimee - Back in my Day
Team: Berserker Barbarian
Project Name: retro owl bag
Project Link: Vintage owl bag with macrame vibe
Brief Description: This bag was made in a retro macrame style… but it was crocheted.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Catching up on comments.

First, thank you to @Smeddley for this amazing CYOA season! It is so much time, effort, and organization. You rock and we are so blessed to have you! And, of course, thank you to @storerboughtcreation as well, for being our ever stalwart leader!

@storerboughtcreation - So many amazing projects! You continuously blow my mind. The unicorn is adorable, and these blankets…I just…my jaw literally drops every time (usually followed by an audible gasp). I love practical crafts - that trimmer bag is excellent, and the macrame style owl is so cool!

@gozer - Your dolls always look amazing! Those fabrics are super cool and are going to be such fun outfits. Stunning artwork, too - you’re such an art inspiration to me. The icon pocket letter - gorgeous, and that dino tote! Omg! The fabric is adorable! And I know how great your bags are, being a proud owner of one. :smiley:

@appledainty - Your hanagushi is incredible! I actually showed my partner and said, “Look at how cool this is!” and scrolled through all of them. And that chair! OH MY! Stellar! Wildly in love with the embroidery!

@QueenHobo - That sign is lovely, and the front door seems like a perfect spot!

@roler - I love your Parappa the Rapper ATC - I still have that game in my collection, even though I don’t have a PS that will play it anymore. :smile: :musical_note:“Kick, Punch, It’s All In The Mind!” :musical_note: :star_struck: And the chonky Snorlax is SQUEE!

@Bunny1kenobi - Those coasters are so cool! I know someone who would be drooling. Your jewelry is always so pretty (I have a few of your necklaces that I wear!), and your miniatures are immaculate, as usual. Very cute TM patch, too, and that ATC is delightful!

@Tanath - Those cards are great! I love the effect on the hearts!

@craftADDchick - I love your triptych! Embracing summer - you’ve got me longing for a beach view. Your statement about getting better and needing to pick up the brush - YES! I needed to be reminded of that. And your sandcastle that won’t wash away - excellent!

@Smeddley - That paw print is so cool! I can’t believe you did that background with melted crayon!

Keep being amazing, everyone!

And, don’t forget about the Prize Event!

3 Likes

In case you missed it, check out this announcement I made in the discussion thread!

4 Likes

Prompt: August- forest- Wendy- Battle
Team: Wizard
Project Name: Aqua/pink TM Patches
Project Link:
Brief Description: I chose these because they are sewn- appropriate for a seamstress!
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: August-forest-Wendy-The Right Stabilizer
Project Name: Jukebox Hero ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: this ATC uses glue
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August-forest-Wendy-Lining
Project Name: Red/Black TM patches
Project Link:
Brief Description: they have layers!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August-forest-Wendy-Measure Twice Cut Once
Project Name: SIL birthday card
Project Link:
Brief Description: I fitted the card to an envelope
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August-forest-Wendy-Pockets
Project Name: Teal felt pin
Project Link:
Brief Description: Under the lace is hidden a loop that was used to attach the hand
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August-forest-Wendy-To serge or not to serge
Project Name: Gray beaded pin
Project Link:
Brief Description: this pin is both gray and has a finished edge
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: lace net Darning bookmark
Project Link:
Brief Description: I used a bit of window screen and crochet cotton to create a lace net darning bat. I haven’t seen a LND project since the Early 90s!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: Grim Santa Cards
Project Link:
Brief Description: these cute cards are only 4 inches square. They have matching envelopes and seals and will be going in my STS shop.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

The top right scythe with all of the Xmas decor is adorable!!! It’s my favorite :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks! That one and the mistletoe one are my faves!

1 Like

Prompt: Peter – Dropped Stitch
Project Name: Bird Tote bag
Project Link: Totes for STS for 2022
Brief Description: It’s Blue! for the upcoming STS.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Peter –Once upon a painting
Project Name: Mandrakes set 2
**Project Link:**More Mandrakes for STS 2022
Brief Description: These mandrakes are sewn and then painted. These went out for a swap.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Peter – Bridge- Wendy - Battle
Project Name: mandrakes set 1
**Project Link:**More Mandrakes for STS 2022
Brief Description: These are little mandrakes that I made out of fabric. Wendy sews with Fabric. Made for the upcoming STS. I lovingly call them Turd & Ferguson. LOL!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Peter – Bridge- Wendy – Measure Twice
Project Name: Cat Tote
Brief Description: The lining of this tote had to be fitted to the shell. Made for the upcoming STS.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Peter – Bridge- Wendy – Serge or not to serge
Project Name: Watercolor Tote bag
Brief Description: I dropped the liners in and finished these with a top stitch, around the top edge. Again, made for the upcoming STS.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Peter – Bridge- Wendy – Lining
Project Name: Yellow Flowers Tote
Brief Description: There are multiple layers in making the totes, shell, lining interfacing, vinyl bottom. And the Yellow Flowers tote has black lines that are the stems of the flowers. And yes, I made this for the upcoming STS.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes