CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2020

Hah… I managed to START a huge cross stitch project (a year-long SAL - one of my “Research Projects” for 2020), and think I have done some diddy things. But not much. Definitely not as much as I wanted to!

Thank you gozer!

And even though I’m not the one who mentioned the socks being relaxing. I made my first pair at the end of last year and imo they were no where near as hard as I expected. Other than the heel they were super easy, and even the heel wasn’t hard just something I really had to pay attention to.

1 Like

Prompt: Free Range #1
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Nerd Games Charms and Bracelet
Project Link: Nerd Games Charms and Bracelet
Brief Description: Just a little something I made for @storerboughtcreation

5 Likes

I love these so much!! And I hope all of you do, too!

I will be sending out one of these charms and a card that @Lynx also made to anyone that participates in this winter round of the games. So if you wouldn’t mind, send me a PM with your full name and mailing address. I will ask again at the end of the season.

I love our nerdy family, and I love that Lynx2Lancer was willing to trade me and make these lovely gifts. She totally rocks!

5 Likes

Happy to help and do something fun and nerdy for our games!

3 Likes

Prompt: De-Stress
Project Name: Apple Cake
Project Link:

Brief Description:
This cake is so comforting, it’s wonderfully calming! It feels like a warm, cinnamon-apple-y hug!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Yay! You made it again.

When I Skyped with Roler earlier this week, she ate the last piece of the first cake. And I told her she should post it here, not knowing she’d just finished it. So she said she’d make another one. I love that she did!!! :heart:

3 Likes

@gozer Wow, even after a bit of time without sewing, you certainly don’t seem rusty at all! That swan coin purse is beautiful! The metal fixtures on your clutch are so shiny and pretty; are they hard to attach?

@Lynx Oh, that fabric rope wreath is so charming! I especially love the flowers, and how you used the rope in two different ways. I would be tempted to use that wreath as a mirror frame! So pretty! Love the bear card too! I like how the colors remind me of trees and streams and sunshine, all things a bear probably likes! And that is SUCH a cute way to repurpose an old quilt!! The tote bag is just darling! I’ll have to keep that in mind next time I have a totally stained quilt or something; the unstained part can still be used for things like this! I know I already commented on your other post, but I’m still smiling at those nerd games charms you made. They’re so cute and heartwarming!

@Bunny1kenobi Hi, good to see you here! I’ve got a ton of different crafts I wanna make all at once, but I’m sure there will be more little felties showing up as well! Oooh, you made Bizzeebags!! I was planning to make some of those for my friend’s pre-school class, but ended up chickening out because I didn’t know where to find the materials. What did you use for the clear “window” part? Very pretty placemats! I like that they’re all different, but in coordinated colors! Awww, that black kitty is SO cute! …Mind if I copy it sometime? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@geekgirl I don’t know how you can possibly call those dishcloths “not pretty”, as I think they are beautiful (the extra colors just make them extra cheerful!) but I’m glad they’ll still be useful cleaning up messes. :slight_smile: Mmmm, those sweet potatoes sound great. I have some sweet potatoes already; I may have to try that this week! That cute scrappy notebook is a zap? I’m impressed that you work so fast!

@storerboughtcreation Your sloth is soooo cute hugging that heart! He looks like he loves is sooo much, he absolutely won’t let anyone take it! XD

@QueenHobo Yay, you made it over here! I can’t imagine how you just whipped up that unikitty. I was trying to crochet for maybe the second time ever the other day, and was having trouble with the simplest steps and only one color of yarn!

@ezrib Every one of your embroidered towels made me laugh! Those are such fun and funny gifts! I sure hope your sons appreciate them!

@smileyyogini Hello and welcome! Oh my goodness, I actually used my family’s cast iron skillet for the first time just recently, and these would have been very useful then! I just used a pot holder in each hand to lift it up, but it’s hard not to get part of the pot holder on the hand NOT holding the handle from flopping into the food! Your solution looks much easier to deal with.

@AcadianDriftwood That’s so cool how you really got the most out of those apples; it looks like nothing went to waste! Also I just looooove homemade applesauce. My grandma used to make it, and then Grandpa when her arthritis got too bad to keep it up, and we would eat it spread on homemade bread or in a bowl with a bit of cottage cheese. Mmm…

@FrizzyTyger Welcome to you too! So far it looks like everyone’s posting just right, and even if someone goofs a bit, it’s no big deal; we’re always happy to help! And oh my goodness, I was JUST wishing I had one of those rice packs the other day when I woke up with the worst crick in my neck, which ended up lasting for about four days. I think I may try to make myself one like yours. Any tips about the process? (I am still a beginner at sewing things bigger than felties)

@Raury Oh my, so many new people! Hello and welcome! Those socks are so pretty! The pattern on the ankles is so delicate! They look cozy too.

@storerboughtcreation We had another guest over for dinner today, so I had an excuse to make the cake! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Hmmm. I wonder… if I stock my pantry with baking ingredients, will a baking fairy make me treats when she visits soon? :laughing:

4 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: Sloth Hoop
Project Link:

Brief Description:
I made this hoop for a personal swap with @storerboughtcreation . It always takes me way too many hours to make a hoopla, but they’re one of my favorite things to do!
Project Photo(s):

11 Likes

I already said it in the community thread, but AHHHH! It’s so cute! Thank you! :heart:

1 Like

Ooh, that sloth is just darling!

1 Like

@roler Thanks for the kind words! I used heavy vinyl for the window. You can get it at the fabric store I think, but I got mine by the yard at Walmart. It comes with a tissue backing to prevent it from sticking to itself on the roll- you want to take that tissue with you. I cut the vinyl quite a bit larger than the window and tape it down on the inside, then lay the tissue over that and sew through all of it. Keeps the vinyl from clinging to the feed dogs on the machine. Then I tear the tissue off, remove the tape, and trim the vinyl.

I found the pattern for the kitty on a blog called The Crafting Nook, under Halloween Softie. :wink:

2 Likes

Ooooh, they look fabby!! Thank you for sending them out to us, and thank you @Lynx for making them!

Noooow… onto post some projects this week!! YIKES! :wink:

4 Likes

Hehehe I just added that! I like the nickname feature, and might just use it for mini status updates in the future. Cinnamon applesauce sounds great right now.

Nice work, love the extra sparkles on the bracelet! Thanks to you and @storerboughtcreation for the nerd games charms - y’all are The. Best.

Oh boy, this is going right on my to-do list! Thank you for the recipe!

2 Likes

Prompt: January - Diet/Exercise
Team: :running_woman:t3::scissors:
Project Name: Party Deviled Eggs
Project Link: -
Brief Description: I love these, but feel like I need a large group of people to justify making them. I brought this batch to my D&D group’s winter party. (Finally found a method of hard boiling eggs that gets me a clean peel - after the ice bath, crack the shells and put them back in the ice bath, then peel.)
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

I think the touch of paprika makes them extra pretty. I love when people do that.

3 Likes

I love deviled eggs. I hate cooking. I’m hungry, and these sound perfect for dinner tonight. Paired with a turkey ham and some scalloped potatoes. Mmmmmm.

2 Likes

Prompt: January - Diet/Exercise
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Sourdough bagels
Project Link:
Brief Description: I used my sourdough starter to make some bagels. This is my second bagel attempt,. They are kinda misshapen but they have the right texture this time. I used sauteed onions and garlic in the dough and topped with sesame seeds.**

5 Likes

Prompt: January – Resolution
Team: RwS
Project Name: Golden Kiss Clasp Coin Purse
Project Link: Kiss Clasp Coin Purses
Brief Description: This may feel like Status Quo since I am posting of these pouches, but it’s Resolution because my resolution was to sew and craft more. I took a year hiatus on sewing in 2019.
Project Photo(s): Photo with De-Stress below

Prompt: January – De-Stress
Project Name: Lettuce Kiss Clasp Coin Purse
Brief Description: Sewing in general relaxes me and gives me a great sense of accomplishment. I love making things! The Lettuce coin purse will be a Raffle Prize. I plan to fill it with trinkets and offer it up.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January – Save Money
Project Name: Kiss Clasp Coin Purses
Brief Description: My friend requested the black and dots coin purse for her birthday . All made from fabric out of my scrap bin. I have had the kiss clasps in my stash since April 2019 saying I was going to make them.
Project Photo(s):

and all of them together!

@storerboughtcreation, I updated my first pouch (Jan. Learn a new skill - Swan Kiss Clasp) to add the link, Sorry, I was so excited just to post up in the Games. I will wait from now on. Sorry and thank you so much for keeping our scores!

7 Likes