CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2020

Prompt: Research Project #2
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Unicorn Biscornu
Project Link: Unicorn Biscornu
Brief Description: I’m not sure how long this one took me. Probably over 30 hours. I absolutely love it. For a fuller description and a few more photos, please visit the project link :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

@storerboughtcreation you are the biscornnu making queen!!

@appledainty I am in awe that your embroidery is all by hand! Your ear cuff is gorgeous!

1 Like

Prompt: January -Travel-
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: A Shawl for Aunt Steph
Brief Description: My uncle recently passed away so I made this for my aunt. It’s going to have to travel all the way from South Carolina to Washington state.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Wow, that shawl is stunning!!

Prompt: January - Learn a new skill
Team: RWS
Project Name: garage sale notecards
Project Link: Notecards for garage sale
Brief Description I made these for the Craft Stars Garage sale. I used rub-ons for the typography. I have been making notecards at work for a while now, so this would be me going back to an old favorite. :grin:
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

I like this. It’s so bright and cheery.

Wow. Seriously impressive

This is gorgeous.

3 Likes

Prompt: Destress
Team: Running with scissors
Project Name: Glowing Mushroom Demon
Project Link: [Glowing Mushroom Demon]
(Glowing Mushroom Demon)
Brief Description: paper crafting and ATCs is my favorite craft to do and a great way to de-stress for me.

4 Likes

Ooh! This is fun! And I just got a KISS song in my head. Maybe his specialty is ear worm demon? I love this so much! :heart:

Prompt: Diet/Exercise
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Attempt at Apple Cider
Project Link:Attempt at apple cider
Brief Description: As I sewed today, I made some very basic (sugar free!) apple cider.

5 Likes

@mountains_and_clouds – The glazed bowls are beautiful. I’m jealous that you get to work with ceramics. The color glaze is pretty.

@AcadianDriftwood – Look at you, adulting and sprucing up the house! LOL! I love the bright and cheerful nature of the lemon collage.

@storerboughtcreation – Full disclosure, I have no idea what a biscornu is, even after going to the link and reading your thread. LOL! I mean, it looks like a pin cushion I would punch someone for using. Ha! But seriously, it is way too pretty and you worked way too hard on them for someone to put pins in! That seems insane. I think the unicorn is my favorite, but I am partial to unicorns. The tiny hummingbird is cute too. I hope your partner posts up a continued pick with the beak inserted. It’s awesome. My sister would LOVE that!

@appledainty – Adorable elbow patches. They add such a unique and fun spark to the sweater! And that ear cuff. I absolutely LOVE it. Not only is it beautifully done, I love how unique it is. We don’t get a lot of them in the Games. You really add a new dimension and grace to the Games.

@QueenHobo – Is that shawl ombre or is it the light? I have to ask because, if it is, I have never seen such an impressive ombre before. It’s like a sunset. Stunning.

@Bunny1kenobi – Loving the notecards. They have such a great, vintage feel to them.

@geekgirl – I giggle a little seeing this guy. He’s so awesome. Love those teeth.

@Lynx – Kudos on your ambition to make cider even though you don’t like to cook (ditto here). It sounds yummy. I love cider.

3 Likes

Lol. Thank you. It can also be a decoration, which is what I’ll probably do with mine after I make it (yes, it will be sloth themed!). And Lynx2lancer put up a pic with the beak in the personal swap thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is ombré! I can’t remember the name of the yarn right now but I can look it up for you when I get home if you’re interested? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just realized I missed some earlier posts! Oops!

@Lynx – I love the Games Charms! Those are so cool and such a sweet thought. I am so excited to hopefully get one! Nerd Games Love!!!

@roler – Mmmm. That apple cakes looks delicious. I bet it is scrumptious in the winter with a cup of coffee. Awe, that sloth is adorable! I love the fun background and the innocent expression on his face.

@AcadianDriftwood – I have never had Deviled Eggs but I bet those were tasty to people who like eggs.

@FrizzyTyger – Sour dough bagels sound amazing. The look like they have a good texture to the crust.

3 Likes

@QueenHobo Yarn is my kryptonite. LOL! I can’t do anything with it. But your shawl is amazing and thank you for the offer. I bet others will want to know the brand.

The yarn is scheepjes whirl ombré in coral catastrophe. It’s about $30 a cake but it only took one to make the whole shawl. I just saw another color called lavenderlicious that I may need to splurge and get soon! :joy:

2 Likes

Prompt: January: Learn a New Skill
Team: Running with scissors
Project Name: knitted dishcloth
Project Link: knitted dishcloth
Brief Description: I’ve known how to crochet for years. This year I wanted to learn to knit and I feel I have the knit stitch and casting down. Still need a little practice but I call this dishcloth done. Spent a lot of time taking out stitches and just needed to be done and have a finished product to feel accomplished. next knitted item will probably be a scarf.

10 Likes

:crystal_ball: I predict a lot of posts today.
Jumping into this round of the games, in our lovely new home.
Prompt: January Battle - Resolutions
Project Name: Baby (puppy) steps
Description:
A lot of people make huge resolutions for the new year, and usually drop most of them by the time February comes around. I made this ring to remind me to take things one step at a time. Not to try to Do All The Things at once, but to keep going.

9 Likes

Okay, I’ve looked through all the amazing projects and just can’t comment right now - so overwhelmed by everyone’s talent! Welcome back, previous player, and welcome new players! It’s going to be a great year of Nerd Games!

Choosing a team this season was one of the hardest things! I love sewing, and the name Running with Scissors… I am definitely into crocheting and knitting, so am Knotty by Nature. I do art on occasion, so would fit in with Palettable Art… so in the end, I had to go catch-all…

Prompt: January Battle - Status Quo
Project Name: Crochet Bat
Project Link: Little Bat
Brief Description: Made for a private swap at the demise of the site that shall not be named, I definitely got the better end of the deal in this swap! No, seriously, check out what I got - Shark ATCs!!! Anyway, this is a pattern I’d made before, in a craft I’ve been doing for… goodness, WELL over 30 years…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Save Money
Project Name: Nest Hoop
Project Link: Bird Nest Hoop
Brief Description: Made for the last swap to start on the site that shall not be named, this Bird’s Nest Hoop is a mish-mash of crafts and made completely from stash.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Learn a New Skill (or not!)
Project Name: Tiny Crochet Bear
Project Link: Teeny Tiny Crochet Bear
Brief Description: When in doubt, crochet something. It’s what I keep returning to, time and time again!
Project Photo(s):

I have a few more things to post, but am too lazy to download pictures from my phone right now (it’s been a LONG week). I promise to get the new prompts up tomorrow morning (central US time…)!

10 Likes

Prompt: January Battle- Resolutions

Project Name: Road Trip Dishcloth

Project Link: Road Trip Dishcloth (with pattern)

Brief Description: This year, I am trying to craft from my stash as much as possible, and also work through my very large WIP pile (which includes projects I’ve bought materials for but haven’t officiall started). Since I was going to be away from home for a night while attending a curriculum training, I figured my Road Trip Dishcloth pattern would be something easy to occupy my time after the training was finished for the day. I was pretty tired when I made it, and had to redo several rows because I kept losing stitches, so it took me almost 2 hours to make! The yarn was already in my stash, so it was essentially free for me to make!

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

I love this yarn color! What is it? Also, knitted washcloths are a great way to learn new stitches and skills. You can use them as washcloths, or you can attach them together to make a sampler blanket.

1 Like

There is a tracking update over in the discussion thread. Click here to go straight to the post.