CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2020

I am going to add dishcloths to my February Thing A Day…I do want to learn more crochet stitches. I feel confident knitting but in crochet, I know the basics.

Nice color!

4 Likes

This looks rad - rainbow on black is awesome!

Really beautiful… this shawl is like a permanent hug for your Aunt. :heart_decoration:

Lovely reminder, that’s an important one for us all!

ADORABLE oh I love this little bat!!

1 Like

Prompt: Big Time #2
Team: :running_woman::scissors:
Project Name: Wifi Password Embroidery
Project Link: Wifi Password LOTR style
Brief Description: With pattern making, stitching, and framing this piece took over 8 hours total.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: Asian-inspired Dressing
Project Link: Sesame garlic ginger salad dressing
Brief Description: Tasty recipe in the link!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: February: Vultures
Team: Running with scissors
Project Name: master board.
Project Link: master board
Brief Description: I made a master board this morning. They take me around 30-45 minutes. In addition to all the normal artsy supplies you’d expect I also used drywall tape, spackling, used credit card, notebook paper hole protectors, bottle caps, and make up sponges.

9 Likes

What a cool way to start off February!

Prompt: February - Hawk
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Fox biscornu
Project Link: Ring o' Foxes biscornu
Brief Description: Trying to work the back stitching and then whip stitching the edges together required a few breaks for my eyes. Good grief, I must be getting old. I think I need to invest in a magnifier, because I was going cross eyed on this one. This is for @QueenHobo
Project Photo(s):

There are more photos in the project link.

14 Likes

Prompt: February - Waterfowl
Team: R w S
Project Name: Shark ATCs
Project Link: Shark ATCs
Brief Description: My subject matter, sharks, need water to survive. These ATCs where done for a personal swap with Smeddley.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: February - Songbirds
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Domino Pendants
Project Link: Domino Pendants
Brief Description: Small and brightly colored pendants made from Dominos
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Destress
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Small Mountain Mixed Media
Project Link: Small Mountain Mixed Media
Brief Description: This is a small mixed media was made for the Little good things swap. The background technique of using patterns with a separate drawing laid over is super relaxing and almost meditative in a way.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

So far behind, so I will just say: AMAZING CRAFTING SO FAR EVERYONE!! What a start to 2020!!

And … tada… my first post in a loooooong time. Had to think a bit out of the box! :wink:

Prompt: Battle Royale - February - Squirrels
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Cub Scouts Core Badges
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: *The wonderful situation of having both Twins in the Scout Organisation. They have just been invested in the Cub Scouts before Christmas, and I didn’t feel up for sewing on two sets of 5 (!!!) core badges onto their new jumpers… But I knew I had to do it, and so tonight it was … while waiting for the Super Bowl LIV to start.

You probably think “why squirrels?” Well, last year at our Leaders (yup, I’m a Beaver leader) we got the news that a new age group would be added to the Scouting Movement, for 4-6 year olds. They are called “Squirrels” and are currently getting trialled in Ireland and England. So that’s my pick for/link to “Squirrels” - doing some work for Scouts. :wink:

It took me 1.5 hours to sew these on… and they’re not straight … who thought up the whole thing of sewing them on the arms?!!*

Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: Vulture
Project Name: Sunset Fabric Rope Wreath
Project Link: It's a Sunset Fabric Rope Wreath and Tutorial (for both the wreath and fabric rope)
Brief Description: Scrappy Fabric Rope Wreath

6 Likes

@gozer It was worth following the link for such a cute picture of Yeti Pegleg :smile_cat:
Love the bag too

1 Like

Project Name: Carrot daikon pickle
Project Link: Pickled carrot and daikon radish
Brief Description: Some tasty veggies preserved with a water bath canner!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Disreputable hoopla
Project Link: Disreputable... Dog
Brief Description: I began this piece last year, but only had the words done. I finally decided how I wanted to complete the design got it hooped up.
Project Photo(s): Blurred for (mild) language

6 Likes

Prompt: February - Battle - Squirrels
Project Name: Owl Biscornu
Project Link: Woodland Creature Biscornu
Brief Description: I decided to use this for the battle, and put it under squirrel because I’m not the biggest fan of birds. I love owls, and a few other birds are cool, but I’m allergic to them, and I find most songbirds highly annoying. The little hedgehog on the toadstool may not be a squirrel, but I bet they could be friends.
Project Photo(s):

11 Likes

Project Name: Duck biscornu
Project Link: Duck Biscornu
Brief Description: This is for roler’s mom, as a thank you for being so thoughtful and awesome. I will hold onto it until roler visits at the end of the month. Then she can hand deliver it to her mom when she heads home. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: February Battle: Birds
Project Name: Hummingbird Zip Pouch
Project Link: Hummingbird Zip Pouch in hand-printed fabrics
Brief Description: My love for hummingbirds carried over into the February “Live in Love” stitchalong challenge, which ended up making this cool bag.

Prompt: Zap!
Project Name: *You’re a small pouch
Project Link–none
Brief Description: In an effort to use up some more scraps, I made this tiny pouch (less than 4") with a velco closure. I had purchased the fabric from Spoonflower several years ago when I hosted a Grammar

Police swap on another site.

7 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Lettuce Craft cross stitch
Project Link: Lettuce Craft (with pattern!)
Brief Description: I made the pattern up for this yesterday, and stitched it up today. I spent about nine hours on the design and stitching total. If you follow the project post to the community link, I shared the pattern there.
Project Photo(s):

13 Likes

Feb battle - birds
Team - Bits and Bobs
Project name - Bird brooch
Project link - Here
Brief description:
Yay for no longer lurking!
I went to Whitby Steampunk festival today and one of the stall holders was running mini workshops on using Powertex. I’d never heard of it, but it looked fun and who doesn’t want yet another technique to use?
I made my kids sit on the floor (there wasn’t room for chairs for them, and they had tablets so were happy) while I played.
This is a very bad picture of the result

There is more of this to come - I bought a started pack :smiley:

8 Likes

Very cool! I love learning new crafts! Do you think you’d want to do it again? Also, welcome to the games! (And my team!)

3 Likes

@Lynx I bought a starter kit, so I hope so :rofl::rofl: just need to find a suitable project :thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

Prompt: February: Waterfowl
Team: Running with scissors
Project Name: Dragonbreath Chili
Project Link: Dragonbreath Chili
Brief Description: My favorite chili recipe (which contains water - and you will need water to drink!!!)

6 Likes