CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2020

So far behind, so I will just say: AMAZING CRAFTING SO FAR EVERYONE!! What a start to 2020!!

And … tada… my first post in a loooooong time. Had to think a bit out of the box! :wink:

Prompt: Battle Royale - February - Squirrels
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Cub Scouts Core Badges
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: *The wonderful situation of having both Twins in the Scout Organisation. They have just been invested in the Cub Scouts before Christmas, and I didn’t feel up for sewing on two sets of 5 (!!!) core badges onto their new jumpers… But I knew I had to do it, and so tonight it was … while waiting for the Super Bowl LIV to start.

You probably think “why squirrels?” Well, last year at our Leaders (yup, I’m a Beaver leader) we got the news that a new age group would be added to the Scouting Movement, for 4-6 year olds. They are called “Squirrels” and are currently getting trialled in Ireland and England. So that’s my pick for/link to “Squirrels” - doing some work for Scouts. :wink:

It took me 1.5 hours to sew these on… and they’re not straight … who thought up the whole thing of sewing them on the arms?!!*

Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: Vulture
Project Name: Sunset Fabric Rope Wreath
Project Link: It's a Sunset Fabric Rope Wreath and Tutorial (for both the wreath and fabric rope)
Brief Description: Scrappy Fabric Rope Wreath

6 Likes

@gozer It was worth following the link for such a cute picture of Yeti Pegleg :smile_cat:
Love the bag too

1 Like

Prompt: February - Waterfowl
Team: :running_woman::scissors:
Project Name: Carrot daikon pickle
Project Link: Pickled carrot and daikon radish
Brief Description: Some tasty veggies preserved with a water bath canner!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Disreputable hoopla
Project Link: Disreputable... Dog
Brief Description: I began this piece last year, but only had the words done. I finally decided how I wanted to complete the design got it hooped up.
Project Photo(s): Blurred for (mild) language

6 Likes

Prompt: February - Battle - Squirrels
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Owl Biscornu
Project Link: Woodland Creature Biscornu
Brief Description: I decided to use this for the battle, and put it under squirrel because I’m not the biggest fan of birds. I love owls, and a few other birds are cool, but I’m allergic to them, and I find most songbirds highly annoying. The little hedgehog on the toadstool may not be a squirrel, but I bet they could be friends.
Project Photo(s):

11 Likes

Project Name: Duck biscornu
Project Link: Duck Biscornu
Brief Description: This is for roler’s mom, as a thank you for being so thoughtful and awesome. I will hold onto it until roler visits at the end of the month. Then she can hand deliver it to her mom when she heads home. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: February Battle: Birds
Project Name: Hummingbird Zip Pouch
Project Link: Hummingbird Zip Pouch in hand-printed fabrics
Brief Description: My love for hummingbirds carried over into the February “Live in Love” stitchalong challenge, which ended up making this cool bag.

Prompt: Zap!
Project Name: *You’re a small pouch
Project Link–none
Brief Description: In an effort to use up some more scraps, I made this tiny pouch (less than 4") with a velco closure. I had purchased the fabric from Spoonflower several years ago when I hosted a Grammar

Police swap on another site.

7 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Lettuce Craft cross stitch
Project Link: Lettuce Craft (with pattern!)
Brief Description: I made the pattern up for this yesterday, and stitched it up today. I spent about nine hours on the design and stitching total. If you follow the project post to the community link, I shared the pattern there.
Project Photo(s):

13 Likes

Feb battle - birds
Team - Bits and Bobs
Project name - Bird brooch
Project link - Here
Brief description:
Yay for no longer lurking!
I went to Whitby Steampunk festival today and one of the stall holders was running mini workshops on using Powertex. I’d never heard of it, but it looked fun and who doesn’t want yet another technique to use?
I made my kids sit on the floor (there wasn’t room for chairs for them, and they had tablets so were happy) while I played.
This is a very bad picture of the result

There is more of this to come - I bought a started pack :smiley:

8 Likes

Very cool! I love learning new crafts! Do you think you’d want to do it again? Also, welcome to the games! (And my team!)

3 Likes

@Lynx I bought a starter kit, so I hope so :rofl::rofl: just need to find a suitable project :thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

Prompt: February: Waterfowl
Team: Running with scissors
Project Name: Dragonbreath Chili
Project Link: Dragonbreath Chili
Brief Description: My favorite chili recipe (which contains water - and you will need water to drink!!!)

6 Likes

This chili sounds amazing. I also like beans in my chili… in fact, I never add meat to mine. I want to try this now. I used to be the biggest wimp when it came to spicy foods. Living in Arizona has really upped my heat palate.

1 Like

I want to go to a steampunk festival! I love steampunk style. Your brooch is super cute! And welcome to the games!

1 Like

Prompt: February Battle - Squirrels
Project Name: Card ornaments
Project Link: Yearly Holiday Card Ornaments
Brief Description: I hoard interesting bits like a squirrel hoards acorns! I found a good use for these cards, a way to keep them around year after year. (Link has more ornaments, these are the 3 I made this year.)
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Prompt: Songbirds
Team: Bits and Bob
Project Name: A whole 'lotta Zetti style atcs
Project Link: A Whole 'lotta Zetti style atcs
Brief Description: Zetti style is coined by Teesha Moore who is known for her brightly colored work.

10 Likes

I just went down a huge rabbit hole trying to figure out exactly what PowerTex is… heehee!! I hope it’s super fun to play around with!

Also, OMG that chili sounds amazing. I might need to add all the chili paste back in, though. :grimacing:

Ornaments from old holiday cards is a fantastic idea! I might need to try it…

Those zetti ATCs are awesome! I’ve been seeing so many ATCs around lately; I think people are itching to get back into the swaps!!

3 Likes

Prompt: February: Songbirds
Project Name: swiffer duster cover
Project Link: swiffer duster cover
Brief Description: I made a swiffer duster cover pattern. I chose songbird as the prompt since it’s small and bright!

6 Likes

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: teeny tiny assemblage canvases
Project Link: teeny tiny assemblage canvases
Brief Description:
I made these 2 teeny tiny 2”x2” canvases today as an experiment. I spray painted the canvas and all the pieces in black instead of hand priming. And then assembled and added color. The each one took me about 15 minutes.

8 Likes

Project Name: Plum Blossom Deco Sushi
Project Link: Deco Sushi... at home! Plum Blossoms
Brief Description: My parents and I tried to recreate the plum blossom deco sushi we made at a lesson in Japan! More details at the link! You definitely need water to make this sushi! Also, we could see ducks outside the windows as we worked. :slight_smile:
Photo:

10 Likes