CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2020

Very cool! I love learning new crafts! Do you think you’d want to do it again? Also, welcome to the games! (And my team!)

3 Likes

@Lynx I bought a starter kit, so I hope so :rofl::rofl: just need to find a suitable project :thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

Prompt: February: Waterfowl
Team: Running with scissors
Project Name: Dragonbreath Chili
Project Link: Dragonbreath Chili
Brief Description: My favorite chili recipe (which contains water - and you will need water to drink!!!)

6 Likes

This chili sounds amazing. I also like beans in my chili… in fact, I never add meat to mine. I want to try this now. I used to be the biggest wimp when it came to spicy foods. Living in Arizona has really upped my heat palate.

1 Like

I want to go to a steampunk festival! I love steampunk style. Your brooch is super cute! And welcome to the games!

1 Like

Prompt: February Battle - Squirrels
Team: :running_woman::scissors:
Project Name: Card ornaments
Project Link: Yearly Holiday Card Ornaments
Brief Description: I hoard interesting bits like a squirrel hoards acorns! I found a good use for these cards, a way to keep them around year after year. (Link has more ornaments, these are the 3 I made this year.)
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Prompt: Songbirds
Team: Bits and Bob
Project Name: A whole 'lotta Zetti style atcs
Project Link: A Whole 'lotta Zetti style atcs
Brief Description: Zetti style is coined by Teesha Moore who is known for her brightly colored work.

10 Likes

I just went down a huge rabbit hole trying to figure out exactly what PowerTex is… heehee!! I hope it’s super fun to play around with!

Also, OMG that chili sounds amazing. I might need to add all the chili paste back in, though. :grimacing:

Ornaments from old holiday cards is a fantastic idea! I might need to try it…

Those zetti ATCs are awesome! I’ve been seeing so many ATCs around lately; I think people are itching to get back into the swaps!!

3 Likes

Prompt: February: Songbirds
Project Name: swiffer duster cover
Project Link: swiffer duster cover
Brief Description: I made a swiffer duster cover pattern. I chose songbird as the prompt since it’s small and bright!

6 Likes

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: teeny tiny assemblage canvases
Project Link: teeny tiny assemblage canvases
Brief Description:
I made these 2 teeny tiny 2”x2” canvases today as an experiment. I spray painted the canvas and all the pieces in black instead of hand priming. And then assembled and added color. The each one took me about 15 minutes.

8 Likes

Prompt: February - Waterfowl
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Plum Blossom Deco Sushi
Project Link: Deco Sushi... at home! Plum Blossoms
Brief Description: My parents and I tried to recreate the plum blossom deco sushi we made at a lesson in Japan! More details at the link! You definitely need water to make this sushi! Also, we could see ducks outside the windows as we worked. :slight_smile:
Photo:

10 Likes

It looks so pretty!

2 Likes

Prompt: February songbirds
Project Name: Valentine’s Day cupcakes
Project Link:
Brief Description: Big bean’s Valentine’s Day party at kindergarten is today so I whipped up homemade cupcakes for her party. Cooking/baking is my jam! They are vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream. Sooooo good!! They are definitely brightly colored! I cheated and used heart cookies from Trader Jo’s for the decorations. I made a total of 28 cupcakes, but save a couple for taste testing. Here is the one I saved for little bean.
Recipe can be found here (it’s definitely a winner!): https://www.livewellbakeoften.com/vanilla-cupcakes/
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: January Theme - Save Money/Eliminate Debt

Project Name: Wedding Handkerchief

Brief Description: I made this handkerchief as a gift for my friend who got married earlier this month. :slight_smile: I finished it at the end of January but I’ve been travelling. My friend likes gardenias and Harry Potter so I kind of mashed them up. XD I also got her a gardenia candle and lightly fragranced the handkerchief by removing the lid of the candle and putting it in the box with the handkerchief overnight.

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: January Theme - Diet/Exercise

Project Name: Mixed Berry Pavlova

Brief Description: My Mom wanted to have a tea party when I was visiting, and I volunteered to make a pavlova. I’ve made miniature ones before, but this is the first full size one I’ve made. It was a big hit with my family and friends. :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

That looks yummy!

Prompt: Free Range

Project Name: 2020 Valentine’s Day Card

Brief Description: I usually draw a card for my husband. :3 Normally it’s fox or puppy themed, and this year felt like a shiba inu year.

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: January - Travel
Project Name: Embroidered Vintage Handkerchief
Project Link: -
Brief Description: A hankie is an essential part of a zero-waste travel kit! No need to buy those little packs of tissues for your bag. This project was a special request from my mom.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Vultures
Project Name: Upcycled Ferret Box
Project Link: Cozy Ferret Box Transformation - D&F 2020 Q1 Contest Entry
Brief Description: I used “waste” materials - upholstery samples, packing foam, and a clementine box - to make a cozy hanging bed for my little buddies!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Hawks
Project Name: Picture Frames for my Valentine :heart:
Project Link: Second hand picture frames revamped
Brief Description: A project I made very swiftly… on February 13th :no_mouth:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: Cannoli Cream Dip
Project Link: Cannoli Cream Dip
Brief Description: An easy and delicious dessert!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

This looks so cool and makes me want to try it!

These look great too - thanks for the recipe link!

Beautiful work, and I love the little extra step you took in scenting it.

2 Likes

Prompt:
February Battle - Birds

Team:
Bits and Bobs

Project Name:
Cinnamon Raisin Loaf

Brief Description:
I’ve been trying to encourage myself to get out of bed earlier, which is hard when I’m a natural night owl and don’t have a regular job or schedule at the moment. Part of my efforts include setting my coffee machine to make coffee for me in the mornings, and setting my bread marker to create bread or dough in the mornings that I can bake when I get up. Being productive without having to get up. XD This is a cinnamon raisin loaf. I chose birds because the first time I saw a bread maker it was when a friend was making bird seed loaf for her birds.

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes