CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2020

Prompt: February songbirds
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Valentine’s Day cupcakes
Project Link:
Brief Description: Big bean’s Valentine’s Day party at kindergarten is today so I whipped up homemade cupcakes for her party. Cooking/baking is my jam! They are vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream. Sooooo good!! They are definitely brightly colored! I cheated and used heart cookies from Trader Jo’s for the decorations. I made a total of 28 cupcakes, but save a couple for taste testing. Here is the one I saved for little bean.
Recipe can be found here (it’s definitely a winner!): https://www.livewellbakeoften.com/vanilla-cupcakes/
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: January Theme - Save Money/Eliminate Debt

Project Name: Wedding Handkerchief

Brief Description: I made this handkerchief as a gift for my friend who got married earlier this month. :slight_smile: I finished it at the end of January but I’ve been travelling. My friend likes gardenias and Harry Potter so I kind of mashed them up. XD I also got her a gardenia candle and lightly fragranced the handkerchief by removing the lid of the candle and putting it in the box with the handkerchief overnight.

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: January Theme - Diet/Exercise

Project Name: Mixed Berry Pavlova

Brief Description: My Mom wanted to have a tea party when I was visiting, and I volunteered to make a pavlova. I’ve made miniature ones before, but this is the first full size one I’ve made. It was a big hit with my family and friends. :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

That looks yummy!

Prompt: Free Range

Project Name: 2020 Valentine’s Day Card

Brief Description: I usually draw a card for my husband. :3 Normally it’s fox or puppy themed, and this year felt like a shiba inu year.

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: January - Travel
Team: :running_woman::scissors:
Project Name: Embroidered Vintage Handkerchief
Project Link: -
Brief Description: A hankie is an essential part of a zero-waste travel kit! No need to buy those little packs of tissues for your bag. This project was a special request from my mom.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Vultures
Project Name: Upcycled Ferret Box
Project Link: Cozy Ferret Box Transformation - D&F 2020 Q1 Contest Entry
Brief Description: I used “waste” materials - upholstery samples, packing foam, and a clementine box - to make a cozy hanging bed for my little buddies!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Hawks
Project Name: Picture Frames for my Valentine :heart:
Project Link: Second hand picture frames revamped
Brief Description: A project I made very swiftly… on February 13th :no_mouth:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: Cannoli Cream Dip
Project Link: Cannoli Cream Dip
Brief Description: An easy and delicious dessert!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

This looks so cool and makes me want to try it!

These look great too - thanks for the recipe link!

Beautiful work, and I love the little extra step you took in scenting it.

2 Likes

Prompt:
February Battle - Birds

Team:
Bits and Bobs

Project Name:
Cinnamon Raisin Loaf

Brief Description:
I’ve been trying to encourage myself to get out of bed earlier, which is hard when I’m a natural night owl and don’t have a regular job or schedule at the moment. Part of my efforts include setting my coffee machine to make coffee for me in the mornings, and setting my bread marker to create bread or dough in the mornings that I can bake when I get up. Being productive without having to get up. XD This is a cinnamon raisin loaf. I chose birds because the first time I saw a bread maker it was when a friend was making bird seed loaf for her birds.

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Your bread looks yummy. I’m also sort of a natural night owl. Or maybe this…?

I also have bad insomnia often, and having a three week old kitten isn’t helping that. A slice of this bread, some hot chocolate with a pinch of cinnamon added, and a quiet room sound super lovely right now. I hope your bread tastes as delicious as it looks!

6 Likes

Lol. I love that meme. It also describes me perfectly :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

@appledainty I love your method of lazy productivity :orange_heart:

2 Likes

How is the kitten?

2 Likes

He is doing great! We named him George, but call him Monkey. He’s growing so fast! He was the largest of the six kittens, and I think he’s going to be on the large end of male Ragdoll cats. So probably 20+ pounds!

I can’t wait to see who he becomes as his personality emerges more and more :heart:

9 Likes

Monkey is soooo cute! I always seem to end up with large cats. I really want a Maine Coon one day.

2 Likes

Awww, that little face! :heart_eyes_cat: Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! I love him! You need to keep us updated with his growth. He is so cute! I love big cats. The bigger the better!

1 Like

Prompt: Big Time Project (~6 hours)
Team: Running with scissors
Project Name: A Plethora of Cards
Project Link: A Plethora of Cards
Brief Description: Lots and lots of notecards. 66 pictured. a few didn’t make it in the pics.

5 Likes

George is just adorable! We have an 18lb’er, he started off as a wee, little white kitten and just kept growing!

1 Like

I got a little behind so here I go…

@frizzyTyger – Your pendants are charming. I love the vibrant colors. You do them well because the painting is very cool too. I like the way the mountains stand out for the background.

@Inselaeffchen – Sewing those patches on are a bear (pun intended)! Yours look great. Mine always ended up crooked. Ha!

@Lynx – I love these wreaths. The colors of this one are so soothing and like a tropical sunset. Did you handstitch that humming bird?!! Beautiful!!! Love the “You’re” pouch. My mom was a teacher so she is a stickler for that in texts. The backgrounds of your ATCs are SUPER cool. I love all the textures and colors.

@AcadianDriftwood - That hoopla is amazing! Your lettering is so clear and perfect. I save all of my cards and I like that you are transforming them into something so neat. Again, your lettering is so clear on the handkerchief. There is nothing like crafting for your fur babies. The hanging bed looks great. I followed the link and your ferrets are adorable! They seem to really like the bed! Sweet pics and great frames to accentuate them. The desert looks yummy!

@storerboughtcreation – You must be the fastest cross stitcher in the world! Your Biscornu’s are so cool. I could never stick a pin into any of these. It’s so sweet of you to make one for Rollers mom. It’s very pretty. The Lettuce Craft cross stitch is so awesome and it was amazing that you shared the pattern. How is George doing?

@GMPNQ - The bird brooch is neat. I have never heard of Powertex powder. I am going to check that out. And thanks, my kitties are my babies.

@geekgirl – That chili looks amazing. It’s cold here right now and I bet that would heat a person up quick! The Swiffer dust cover is such a useful item. I love useful crafts. I think it’s fun that you made it the same color as a Swiffer. I have a thing for both stars and the color pink so I can’t chose my favorite between your tiny assemblages. Look at all those cards! Wowza!

@roler – Looks like you truly learned how to make the sushi. I bet it was yummy too!

@jillybeans – My mouth is watering. That cupcake looks scrumptious! You styled it so well. That’s a great pic of it.

@appledainty – The flowers are so pretty on the handkerchief. I am sure your friend loved it! The mixed berry pavlova looks divine! I have no idea what is in it, but I want some! The card you made your husband is so cute. That is one happy shiba inu. The bread looks yummy as well.

2 Likes

George is doing well. In fact, I have a project to post in a bit that is for him. So you’ll get to see a few cute (but blurry) action shots :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Prompt: February - Vultures
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: George with his Yellow Hat
Project Link: George with his Yellow Hat
Brief Description: I made this for our curious little Monkey. I used entirely stash yarn and polyfil to make it. He loves to attack it.

He started learning now to cat yesterday. He is so clumsy and face plants a lot. It is the cutest thing to watch. The ragdoll in him is also entertaining. He likes to flip on his back and get tummy pets. After a moment, he goes completely limp, and his face remains as it was before going limp. I keep telling him it will freeze like that. He doesn’t care. Ahhh. He’s so cute! :heart:

Project photo:

7 Likes