CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2020

How is the kitten?

2 Likes

He is doing great! We named him George, but call him Monkey. He’s growing so fast! He was the largest of the six kittens, and I think he’s going to be on the large end of male Ragdoll cats. So probably 20+ pounds!

I can’t wait to see who he becomes as his personality emerges more and more :heart:

9 Likes

Monkey is soooo cute! I always seem to end up with large cats. I really want a Maine Coon one day.

2 Likes

Awww, that little face! :heart_eyes_cat: Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! I love him! You need to keep us updated with his growth. He is so cute! I love big cats. The bigger the better!

1 Like

Prompt: Big Time Project (~6 hours)
Team: Running with scissors
Project Name: A Plethora of Cards
Project Link: A Plethora of Cards
Brief Description: Lots and lots of notecards. 66 pictured. a few didn’t make it in the pics.

5 Likes

George is just adorable! We have an 18lb’er, he started off as a wee, little white kitten and just kept growing!

1 Like

I got a little behind so here I go…

@frizzyTyger – Your pendants are charming. I love the vibrant colors. You do them well because the painting is very cool too. I like the way the mountains stand out for the background.

@Inselaeffchen – Sewing those patches on are a bear (pun intended)! Yours look great. Mine always ended up crooked. Ha!

@Lynx – I love these wreaths. The colors of this one are so soothing and like a tropical sunset. Did you handstitch that humming bird?!! Beautiful!!! Love the “You’re” pouch. My mom was a teacher so she is a stickler for that in texts. The backgrounds of your ATCs are SUPER cool. I love all the textures and colors.

@AcadianDriftwood - That hoopla is amazing! Your lettering is so clear and perfect. I save all of my cards and I like that you are transforming them into something so neat. Again, your lettering is so clear on the handkerchief. There is nothing like crafting for your fur babies. The hanging bed looks great. I followed the link and your ferrets are adorable! They seem to really like the bed! Sweet pics and great frames to accentuate them. The desert looks yummy!

@storerboughtcreation – You must be the fastest cross stitcher in the world! Your Biscornu’s are so cool. I could never stick a pin into any of these. It’s so sweet of you to make one for Rollers mom. It’s very pretty. The Lettuce Craft cross stitch is so awesome and it was amazing that you shared the pattern. How is George doing?

@GMPNQ - The bird brooch is neat. I have never heard of Powertex powder. I am going to check that out. And thanks, my kitties are my babies.

@geekgirl – That chili looks amazing. It’s cold here right now and I bet that would heat a person up quick! The Swiffer dust cover is such a useful item. I love useful crafts. I think it’s fun that you made it the same color as a Swiffer. I have a thing for both stars and the color pink so I can’t chose my favorite between your tiny assemblages. Look at all those cards! Wowza!

@roler – Looks like you truly learned how to make the sushi. I bet it was yummy too!

@jillybeans – My mouth is watering. That cupcake looks scrumptious! You styled it so well. That’s a great pic of it.

@appledainty – The flowers are so pretty on the handkerchief. I am sure your friend loved it! The mixed berry pavlova looks divine! I have no idea what is in it, but I want some! The card you made your husband is so cute. That is one happy shiba inu. The bread looks yummy as well.

2 Likes

George is doing well. In fact, I have a project to post in a bit that is for him. So you’ll get to see a few cute (but blurry) action shots :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Prompt: February - Vultures
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: George with his Yellow Hat
Project Link: George with his Yellow Hat
Brief Description: I made this for our curious little Monkey. I used entirely stash yarn and polyfil to make it. He loves to attack it.

He started learning now to cat yesterday. He is so clumsy and face plants a lot. It is the cutest thing to watch. The ragdoll in him is also entertaining. He likes to flip on his back and get tummy pets. After a moment, he goes completely limp, and his face remains as it was before going limp. I keep telling him it will freeze like that. He doesn’t care. Ahhh. He’s so cute! :heart:

Project photo:

7 Likes

I elect George to be our official mascot of the Games!

6 Likes

Lots of games to enter - been feeling out of sorts and unsociable meaning crafting and reading ok but struggled to post much.

Team - Bits and Bobs

JANUARY

Prompt - Diet
Project name - Marshmallow Crispie cake
Project link - crispie cakes

Description
My younger son and I made 3 lots of marshmallow crispie cakes for my older son to share at school for his birthday.

Prompt - learn a new skill
Project name - learnt crocodile stitch
Project link - crocodile stitch
Description
I have a fairly big (for me) project planned that needs crocodile stitch. I have never used this before so decided that id better see if could actually do it before embarking on the full project.

Prompt - De-stress
Project name - Crochet patchwork
Project link - patches
Description
I am working on a patchwork jumper for me. although some of the patches are a bit of a challenge, some, like these are really relaxing because I don’t need a pattern, so this is my current destress go to.

FEBRUARY

Prompt - Songbirds
Project name - Sample of ‘made’ fabric
Project link - more here
Description
This is small and colourful - just right for songbirds

OTHER
prompt - Zap
project name - crochet flowers
project link - project 10
description
I timed making the 3rd of these. It took all of 17 minutes to make! The first one was much slower, but then I was making the pattern up as I went along and kept pulling it back. By the 3rd one I knew what I was doing :laughing::laughing:

That’s all folks . . . at least for now :+1:

8 Likes

Prompt: February - Owls
Team: Running w Scissors
Project Name: Curtains to shams
Project Link: Shams from Curtains
Brief Description: Shams go on a bed, beds are used for sleeping, sleeping normally takes place at night.
I made these for a co-worker. The material was not my favorite. It was a woven polyester.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

[quote=“storerboughtcreation, post:1, topic:295”]
Prompt: Hawks for February. You need keen eyesight for these tiny square “diamonds” and I also use a light pad
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Cherry Blossom Diamond Art
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points)
Brief Description: It is a big time project with lots of tiny square “diamonds” to place, it is almost like a paint by number
Project Photo(s):
cherry

5 Likes

@storerboughtcreation – The hat looks like it was done very nicely and would fit the Curious George doll perfectly. Is that why you named your kitty George? And I am serious, he needs to be our mascot. I want to watch this little fellow grow into a big ol’ cat!

@GMPNQ – We call those Rice Krispy Treats and they are wonderful! I like them when they are still warm and haven’t completely set yet. That crocodile stitch is insane! I don’t think I have every seen that before. Now I am super curious on what you are going to make with it. It looks like it will be quite an intense project. Your patches look neat. Are you working off a color scheme for your jumper? Or are you going to let it be completely random? What kind of classes are you taking? What class is the fabric for? Sounds like a fun class. I think the fabric came out very cool and almost sculptural.

@Raury – I have seen these diamond painting around for a while, but I have never seen one finished! It’s pretty. How much work was it? Can you estimate the hours? I got one for Christmas, but I am hesitant to start. I also have 4 ½ cats (one is indoor/outdoor) so I would have to add a few hours to the time. I like the image you selected.

2 Likes

@gozer Lots of questions & comments, answered 1 by 1 :+1:
“We call those Rice Krispy Treats and they are wonderful! I like them when they are still warm and haven’t completely set yet.”
Yummy! Warm, cold, with chocolate, without, I don’t mind - I’ll eat them anyway they come :joy::joy: We call them marshmallow crispie cakes to differentiate between them and crispie cakes, which can be made with rice krispies or cornflakes and are normally made with milk chocolate and butter but no marshmallow.

“That crocodile stitch is insane! I don’t think I have every seen that before. Now I am super curious on what you are going to make with it. It looks like it will be quite an intense project.”
I’m going to do this bag in a multicoloured yarn. I might make mitts as well, depending on how fed up with the pattern I get.
The yellow sample I did will find a home in my jumper :wink:

“Your patches look neat. Are you working off a color scheme for your jumper? Or are you going to let it be completely random?”
Not completely random. I bought yellow, lime green, grey, denim blue, turquoise, pale lilac and purple for it and am using some red, orange, melon sorbet, lipstick pink and vintage pink left over from a previous project.
I kinda want a tiny bit of white, for flowers, but not getting any more yarn! Within the colours I’ve got I am being random.

“What kind of classes are you taking? What class is the fabric for? Sounds like a fun class. I think the fabric came out very cool and almost sculptural.”
I’m doing Art & Design (Textiles) A level, 1st year of a 2 year course. Its normally a qualification taken by kids after they’re done with compulsory education. I’m surrounded by 16/17/18 year olds all day, and am old enough to be the teachers mum.
I don’t care. I am learning so much, get the chance to try techniques & equipment I couldn’t at home and Kate (teacher) really knows her stuff and has worked on big film/tv productions before coming into teaching. I’m loving it, just wish it was longer than 2 years :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Yes. So I was thinking of names before I met him, but couldn’t decide anything until that point. As soon as I saw him, Monkey popped into my head. After a few hours with him, we saw just how curious he is, and so we had to name him George.

So yeah. Our curious little monkey, George, can be the mascot if everyone wants him to be. I’m sure he won’t mind. He loves attention. He’d love it even more if that attention was in person to pet him and play with him.

2 Likes

It took me about 2 months to do it, but that is with working full time, a son that is very social and a husband that had a hip replacement. So lots of interference in craft time, so I really have no idea how many hours it actually was. I have 2 indoor cats, one named Mayhem, so I know the worry about cats. I just stored the drills in small baggies so if one fell, or got pushed off, it wouldn’t spill.

2 Likes

I love the name Mayhem! That is so cute. My indoor/outdoor is Pandemonium, Pandy for short.

2 Likes

No matter what you name your cat, you tend to add “y” sound to the end…ha ha…Rocket=Rocky; Spuds=Spuddy

3 Likes