CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2020

Lol - he.
Thank you. He loved the kitty keychain from the moment he saw it and got a little upset that it had broken. The ASD means he is often stressed and anxious and as I also have anxiety and have a little stuffie on most of my bags to fiddle with, i can appreciate how she helps him to stay a bit calmer and more “present”. He’s not allowed to take his teddy to school, even though he wants to, so this is an ideal solution :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

Check out the latest info in the Discussion Thread, and let me know what you think of George’s nerdy self. :heart:

1 Like

Prompt: February Battle - Birds
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Bandana Owl TM Patch
Project Link: to be added later when I get some more patches done
Brief Description: Perhaps I should have used this for the Owl prompt, but the battle is time sensitive, so this owl is just a BIRD! XD I’m working on more unembellished TM patches to make a KitchenAid cover for my parents. Since I don’t have time to applique on all of them, I’m just picking fun fabric prints to showcase!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: January - Learn a New Skill
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Flower xstitch
Project Link: Daisy cross stitch
Brief Description: This is returning to an old favorite for me.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Totally lost track and February disappeared.
Here are a few of the things I managed to do this month.

Prompt: February Battle - Birds
Project Name: Teeny Tiny Bird Ring
Description:
It always amazes me how we can get recognizable images with so few pixels (beads in this case). I searched for a small bird bead pattern for this project, small enough to work as the focal point of a ring. This is as tiny as it gets.

Prompt: January - Learn a New Skill
Project Name: An Infinity or Two
Description:
I wanted to make a ring with the infinity symbol. Couldn’t find any pattern that was small enough for a ring and looked good online. So I played a bit with a bead planner and came up with a nice pattern. So I made two.

Prompt: January - De-Stress
Project Name: Mary’s rings
Description:
I tried doing the Thing-a-Day craftalong, and make a ring every day. But, the very first day, I had a feverish child sleeping in the living room, and I can’t actually bead in the dark yet. and the rest of the month was full of surprises (sudden apartment move, for example). I think I finished ten rings this month. These two were made to show a friend how I make them. The stripes are one of the easiest patterns, so they are pretty zen to make.

Rings are sooo hard to photograph with my current phone. Must find a proper camera.
And now, I’ll go and catch up on all the awesome in this thread :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Prompt: February-Owls
Project Name: The Adventures of Soft Kitty Turned Magnet
Description: I turned an almost donated Soft Kitty plushie into a magnet. I thought it would be a quick job, but it was trial and error more that I thought. Her big eyes will have a keen view of the fridge from now on.

2 Likes

Prompt: February Battle- Squirrel

Project Name: Smoothie #1 Packs

Project Link: n/a

Brief Description: I had intended to post something else for this month’s challenge, but I left part of it for too long, and it became unusable. So, Smoothie Packs to the rescue! Squirrels are known for storing away food for later, so when I had a package of spinach in the fridge that I needed to use up, I hit the store for a few more supplies. I made 8 packs altogether. Each pack contains:

1/2 of a banana
1/2 of an avocado
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 Tbsp flax seed
2 cups spinach
1 Tbsp of cocoa
1 Tbsp hemp protein powder

When I blend them up, I’ll add either yogurt or milk, and some water. The next time, I might put in nonfat dry milk so I’ll just need to add water. I have plans for other smoothie blends, so that’s why this one is Smoothie #1 (Smoothie #2 will have coconut milk and tropical fruits).

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

You can see the tracking update over in the Discussion Thread

1 Like

Prompt: January- Diet/Exercise
Project Name: Mixed Berry Scones
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: I am not the best about eating a decent breakfast during the week. I either stop at a convenience store or grab a bagel or muffin at the donut shop. So, to help me save money (and possibly some calories), I decided to make up a batch of Trader Joe’s Mixed Berry Scones (I used my toaster oven to bake them so I had to bake them in 2 batches). I tested them for breakfast this morning (not bad for a mix), and popped the rest in the freezer. Hopefully, they’ll taste good when I reheat them in the microwave. I packaged them in little paper bags before I froze them so I could easily grab one in the morning.

Project Photo(s):
IMG_5114

Prompt: January: Learn a New Skill (or return to an old one)
Project Name: Road Trip Dishcloth #2
Project Link: Road Trip Dishcloth (with pattern) (but, this is the same thread I posted the original one in, so I don’t think it counts for the Community bonus points)
Brief Description:This is the same pattern that I used to make my other one and I made it while I was listening to a presenter at our professional development day last month. Crocheting keeps me from getting antsy during presentations in a large auditorium. I made it in yellow, but it looks a bit washed out in the photo. I’ll probably make one more so I can use up the last of the yellow and the variegated yarns.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February: Vultures
Project Name: Scrappy Tray Using heat Moldable Interfacing
Project Link: Scrappy Tray Using Heat Moldable Interfacting (with tutorial)
Brief Description: After seeing a tutorial for making a tray out of heat moldable interfacing, my mom and I thought it would be fun to try it over Christmas break, but we ran out of time. I was able to go down again during February break (hooray for a travel voucher!), so we were able to try it out. I made a shallow bowl/tray, and my mom made a leaf-shaped bowl. We were only able to make one scrappy fabric panel (it took longer than we thought it would), so I got to use it for my bowl/tray.

Project Photo(s):

IMG_5098

6 Likes

Prompt: Research Project #1
Project Name: First Ever Baby Sweater
Project Link: First Ever Baby Sweater
Brief Description: I FINALLY finished my first ever baby sweater! This was my first time successfully using the purl stitch as well, so it was a lot of new stuff to me, and took a verrrry long time, but I am proud of finally finishing, and hopefully my next attempt will be neater! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: March Battle: Netflix
Project Name: Fabric Twine Woven Rope Mirror
Project Link: Through the looking glass: A fabric rope woven rope mirror
Brief Description: With the exception of soccer, I am not a sports fan, so I knew I had to choose Netflix for the Battle. You watch tv, and you watch yourself in a mirror! My first time adding a mirror to these wreaths! Yay!

5 Likes

Prompt: January - Travel
Project Name: Rhinestone Cow-eel
Project Link: Rhinestone Cow-Eel
Brief Description: While packing to visit @storerboughtcreation in Arizona, Katsuyuki Moray realized that he had no appropriate clothes for the hot Southwest - up until now he mostly only had sweaters. So I whipped up this cowboy shirt to go with his rhinestone jeans.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: March–Ball
Project Name: Joyful Clover in a hoop
Project Link: Joyful Clover in a Hoop
Brief Description: This 10" hoop proudly displays JoyfulClover’s wonderful screenname. I made it for her in a personal swap recently.

5 Likes

Prompt: March - Battle - Netflix
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Maccha’s tutu
Project Link:
Brief Description: years ago, I crocheted Maccha for @roler. She brought her along on her Arizona trip, and asked for some outfits. I decided she needed a tutu. I didn’t watch Netflix while making this one, but I did watch a YouTube video to figure out how to use the ribbon yarn I scored at Goodwill.
Project Photo(s):*

8 Likes

Prompt: Big Time Project
Team: Running with scissors
Project Name: A Completed Art Journal
Project Link: A Completed Art Journal
Brief Description: An art journal I have been working on since January.

A sample of pages

6 Likes

Prompt: Zap
Team: Running with scissors
Project Name: Mini Book from Tag
Project Link: Mini Book from Tag
Brief Description: A mini mixed media art booklet made from a tag cut off a tote bag

5 Likes

Prompt: March - Mascots
Project Name: Cheetoh the Garden Eel
Project Link:

Brief Description: SBC taught me how to crochet!! Squee! So of course I had to make a garden eel! XD Meet Cheetoh!
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: March - Bracketology
Team: Running with Scissors

Project Name: Scrapbook Card
Project Link: -0-

Brief Description: I went to a Make & Take scrapbooking event with my Mom the other weekend. The first project we made was a card. The event was okay. The lady was new so it wasn’t very organized, but it was fun to do something with my Mom. The card incorporated lots of strong horizontal & diagonal lines.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Team: Running with Scissors

Project Name: Scrapbook Page
Project Link: -0-

Brief Description: At the same event we made a quickie scrapbook page.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: Research Project

Team: Team Bits and Bobs

Project Name: Suitcase to Coffee Table Conversion

Project Link: https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/d-f-2020-q1-contest-entry-suitcase-to-coffee-table-conversion/3638

Brief Description: We needed a coffee table, and my husband doesn’t like spending money. XD So I turned this old vintage suitcase into a coffee table with some fabric, glue, wooden legs, gold leaf, paint, lace ribbon, and lots of love.

Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

I love this! I just introduced @roler to Flea Market Flip, and your research project would have fit in well on that show :heart:

2 Likes