CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2020

Prompt: February–Hawk
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Miniature Pocket Letter
Project Link: Miniature Pocket Letter
Brief Description: It takes keen eyesight to make a pocket letter this tiny!

Prompt: Research Project # 1
Project Name: The Transformation from uncomfortable chaise to sleek new couch
Project Link: Chaise to Couch Transformation
Brief Description: I’ve had this huge chaise lounge in my house that I was constantly complaining about not being comfortable anymore. Well, I finally convinced my dh to change it into a a smaller couch that fits our living space better. This project took us all Spring Break.

4 Likes

Prompt: February: Waterfowl
Project Name: Quarantine Juice (AKA Fruit Infused Water Using the Instant Pot)
Project Link: Quarantine Juice (AKA Fruit Infused Water Using the Instant Pot)

Brief Description: SInce I’ve been home because school is cancelled, I haven’t been drinking enough water. Our tap water doesn’t taste the greatest, so I decided to use up some of the bags of very icy fruit that are occupying precious space in my freezer. I made 2 batches- cranberry & pineapple, and blueberry & mango. Even though they only process for 5 minutes, the whole thing took over an hour per batch. Water + fruit= a natural flavor concentrate!

Project Photo(s):

I got almost 2 quarts of each batch. They’re not canned, so they’re being kept in the fridge.

4 Likes

Prompt: February - Songbirds
Project Name: Mandala TM Patch
Project Link: tba
Brief Description: I’m still making simple TM patches for my parents’ Kitchenaid cover. This one is colorful like a songbird.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

And now back to my loooong overdue comments!

@Bunny1kenobi
Your garage sale notecards are so cool! I love the vintage feel. Super classy.

@geekgirl
Pretty sure I commented on your Mushroom Demon thread before but it just made me smile all over again. :slight_smile: Beautiful even knit stitches on your dishcloth, and I like the variegated colors too! You can take out stitches?! That is one thing I have NEVER figured out how to do with knitting; basically if I mess up, I have to unravel the entire project and start again. Just did that yesterday with a panel representing hours of work. ToT I love your masterboards! I love the projects you do with them, too, but I would have so much trouble putting them to use, since they’re already so awesome as they are!

@Lynx
Very cool that you made your own cider! I used to make some once a year when I was a kid, at a family friend’s farm. They had a big cider press and would throw a HUGE annual party and we would all take turns manning the crank, producing scads of gallons of cider in just a day! Good times.

@Tanath
What a fun puppy pawprint ring! Do you use special equipment for that? Like a loom type thing? The color choice is great; really makes the pawprint pop!

@Smeddley
Your little bat is tooooo cuuuuuute! If we ever do a swap, just know I would always love one. XD The hoop is so creative, especially the nest with the bead eggs! What a sweet motif! D’awww, your tiny bear is adorable! I have a book of patterns for sea creatures made of embroidery floss, and I can’t wait to get good enough at crochet to try the challenge of working so small!

@craftADDchick
Your dishcloth is so bright and cheery! Good thing you were already planning to work through your stash this year, as it’s sure getting harder to acquire supplies at the moment!

@AcadianDriftwood
I have mentioned your wifi password embroidery in at least two conversations since seeing it I LOVE the idea!! And you got the LotR font spot-on. :slight_smile: And sesame garlic ginger sounds like a wining combination for salad dressing!

@storerboughtcreation
If you hadn’t made the eel biscornu, I’d have said the fox one was your best one yet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But as it is, the eel can never be topped! (probably)

@gozer
Wonderful shark ATCs! They actually look quite gentle, despite the pointy teeth! I think your use of color is so soft and appealing.

3 Likes

Prompt: March- Basket

Project Name: Avocado “Greenhouses”

Project Link: Avocado "Greenhouses"

Brief Description:I made individual greenhouses to hold the avocado pits while they are (hopefully) sprouting.

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: February–Waterfowl
Project Name: Crafts for Lettuce Merit Badge
Project Link: Crafts for Lettuce Merit Badge
Brief Description: I made this merit badge as a play on words–Crafts for Lettuce: the food, the site, both? (Lettuce needs water to grow, also you might be drinking water while crafting for Lettuce.)

8 Likes

I was going to just add to last post, but didn’t want you all to lose notifications if you already saw it so…

Prompt: Big Time Project #1 (or #2, I can’t remember atm)
Project Name: Ohio State Quilt
Project link :Ohio State Quilt
Brief Description: This quilt was made for my husband’s cousin who is engaged. The quilting was done by my LQS and I hand-bound the binding.

Prompt: March–Mascots
Project Name: Hummingbird
Project link: Prompt # 7 out of 8 for the 4 Day ATC blitz Challenge
Brief Description: The 7th theme out of 8 was “Spring Fling” and if you know me (or read my bio) you’ll know I *had to make a hummingbird. I painted it using Liquidtex Basics ( I really like it). The background is 3 different layers.

5 Likes

Prompt: Januaty- Save Money/Eliminate Debt
Project Name: Ephemera ATC
Project Link: 4 Day ATC Blitz Challenge! Starts Wednesday evening-March 18
Brief Description: I decided to give the 4 Day ATC Blitz Challenge a go and one of the prompts was “Ephemera.” I pulled out my box of paper ephemera (several years ago, I had a brief ATC making stint) and picked out a few things (a chocolate box package {the frog}, some tissue paper, a piece of an origami paper package, a tag) and added in some embroidery floss and paper. My Frog Prince card is the result!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt:January- DeStress
Project Name: Watercolor ATC
Brief Description: Here’s another for the 4 Day ATC Blitz Challenge. The prompt was “Rainbow” and I found a card that had the doodle sketched out on it already (I think it was supposed to be a Zentangle ATC). So, I colored it in with watercolor pencils and then put the border around it. It was very relaxing to make!

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt:January- Travel
Project Name: Shoe Bags from a Pillowcase
Project Link: Shoe Bags from a Pillowcase

Brief Description: When I travel, I usually put my shoes inside a plastic grocery bag so I keep them separate from my clothes. But, now that I’m trying to eliminate plastic bags when I shop (and with a bag ban on its way), I decided I needed something better. I had this old pillowcase that was just so cheerful that when it started to look a little worn out, I couldn’t seem to throw it away.

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

:Prompt February - Songbird
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Rainbow Bunny
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: This ATC was made for the ATC blitz. I knew I couldn’t do all 8 so I combined 3 themes into one so that I could at least participate a little. The rainbow makes this brightly colored.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: March - Bracketology
Team: Bits & Bobs
Project Name: Pastel Hanger
Project Link: tba
Brief Description: Here’s another crocheted hanger cover. This one will part of a set of three that I’ll be offering as a prize for the summer raffle here. It has branching arms!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Ball
Project Name: Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Cake
Project Link: Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Cake
Brief Description: I forgot to take a photo of this whole cake, but I promise you it was round! Also, to fit the prompt, it was orange-ish, but not at all rubbery! This was very, very yummy, and I made it for Katsuyuki Moray’s eighth birthday (3/17/20). It’s made from this scrumptious recipe:
https://www.thebakerchick.com/pumpkin-cinnamon-roll-cake-2/
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Owls
Project Name: Fox TM Patch
Project Link: TM Patches
Brief Description: This fox has very large eyes!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Hawks
Project Name: Hippo TM Patch
Project Link: same as above - TM Patches
Brief Description: I’ve gotten pretty swift at making these unembellished TM patches. I mean, they still take hours, but I’m way faster than I used to be. Also, did you know that a hippo can run up to 19mph?!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Chips and dip
Project Name: 2 TM Patches
Project Link: same as above - TM Patches
Brief Description: These two different patches will be going together onto the mixer cover I’m making. I love all the different colorful patterns together!
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: March Battle: Netflix
Project Name: My First Masterboard
Project Link: I didn’t give this it’s own post (so I’m sure it doesn’t count for the Community Bonus), but here’s where I posted it in the Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong: Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong

Brief Description: Last week, there was an ATC Blitz and I decided to give it a go. When it was suggested that there might be a scaled down version happening this weekend, I knew I needed to get a head start on it. I had the most trouble with making the backgrounds of my cards, so I decided to try making a masterboard so I could cut it into ATC sized pieces. I started by gluing down torn pieces of tissue paper & a page from a road atlas, then I added a layer of blue paint. I then attempted to use a piece of a bubble wrap envelope to add some pattern, but the paint was too runny, so it didn’t look that great. I finished it by layering on some stencils- first in black, then silver, then white.It was a lot of fun! And, it fits the prompt because I watched Netflix while parts were drying, and I’ll be watching Netflix while I work on any ATCs this weekend.

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

No special equipment, just a needle, so it’s very portable. It’s done in peyote stitch. If you are familiar with kandi jewelry, it’s the same technique.

2 Likes

Prompt: Research Project #2
Project Name: Second Baby Sweater
Project Link:

Brief Description: Yaaaay I finally finished my second baby sweater! And hopefully it’s in plenty of time to send before my friend’s baby is born!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: Chicken, Spinach, and Blueberry Salad
Project Link:
Brief Description: Very yummy and easy salad!!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: March - Basket
Project Name: White Hanger
Project Link:

Brief Description: Another hanger cover! This one will also be part of the set of three I’ll offer in the June raffle. This hanger holds things, and is made of metal AND string. How’s that for fitting the prompt? XD
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Chicken Curry Soup
Project Link:

Brief Description: Delicious coconut curry soup!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: Another pastel hanger!
Project Link: same as above: Crocheted Hanger Covers
Brief Description: Yup, another hanger! This one is the third in my raffle prize set.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: Spicy Lettuce Wraps
Project Link:
Brief Description: These were reeeeally yummy and quite spicy.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #3
Project Name: Red Pepper and Sausage Alfredo
Project Link:

Brief Description: Easy and tasty!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #4
Project Name: SBC’s Calzone
Project Link:
Brief Description: When I was visiting @storerboughtcreations a few weeks ago, she and her husband made some reeeeeally yummy calzones (which she has shared here)! I loved them so much I tried to recreate them at home. They were delicious!
Project Photo(s):

And now, I believe I have crafted ALL THE THINGS for the season! Well, all except for one Zap and one Big Time, but I did all the actual prompts! I haven’t done that too many times before, so I am very excited. :slight_smile: Thanks for being such a motivating community!!

6 Likes

Congratulations, @roler, for crafting ALL THE THINGS! I have a couple of other ATCs that I can use for a prompt or two, but I’m hoping to get some other things done in the meantime. My goal is to finishe every prompt, too! I’ve been slightly waylaid by some clerical work for school, but i’m chipping away at that in between my craft time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I finally figured out a project for this prompt!!

Prompt: March–Chips and Dips
Project Name: CoronaVirus: Life in 6 Words
Project Link: Coronavirus: Life in 6 Words
Brief Description: Atc set for weekend blitz #2. I took the each of these prompts and found a way to combine them with this “Coronavirus: Life in 6 words” atc swap I am doing on another site.
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Because I spent so much time on each one, I figured I might as well use my ATCs for some of the prompts! :slight_smile:

Prompt: February-Owls
Project Name: Add a Hat! ATC (for the ATC Blitz #2)
Project Link: ATC Blitz #2!- The Adventure Continues (This is a separate post, outside of the CAL)

Brief Description: For the “Add a Hat!” prompt, I drew some little characters that have eyes.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February- Songbirds
Project Name:Space ATC (for the 4 Day ATC Blitz)

Brief Description: The card was about how the tradition of putting candles on cakes originated, and I used an image of a piece of sheet music for the song “Sixteen Candles.”

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March- Mascots
Project Name: The Earth ATC (for the ATC Blitz #2)
Project Link: ATC Blitz #2!- The Adventure Continues (This is a separate post, outside of the CAL)

Brief Description: For this card, when I found the image of the Earth with the face, it was exactly what I wanted. Because a Happy Anthropomorphic Earth just felt right on a card celebrating Earth Day!

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Got another craft dump!!

Prompt: February Vultures

Team: RWS

Project Name: Joy ATC

Project Link:

Brief Description: This ATC uses scraps of a masterboard.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February Owls

Project Name: dream atc

Project Link:

Brief Description: this ATC is a night scene.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March Ball

Project Name: Wonderland ATC

Project Link:

Brief Description: It may not be round or rubbery, but it’s orange!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March Basket

Project Name: Spring necklace

Project Link:

Brief Description: this necklace is made of metal!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March chips and dip

Project Name: spring ATC

Project Link:

Brief Description: I think the tiny paper doilies and photo corners go great together!!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March mascots

Project Name: Animal Crossing pouch

Project Link:

Brief Description: I made this for a private swap. The recipient hasn’t received it yet, hopefully I can blur it! It features an animal, and felt is fuzzy!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zaps

Project Name: Comfort zone card

Project Link:

Brief Description: made for the ATC blitz, this one was pretty quick.

Project Photo(s):

1 Like

Provided you have each project represented within a community post, you can claim the bonus points for each of those projects, even if it’s all posted within the same community post. :slight_smile:

1 Like