CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2020

Sweet! I’ll go back and edit my posts :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Awesome! Just let me know when you do! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Prompt: Big Time #3
Team: Bits & Bobs
Project Name: Raddle the Frog Hoop
Project Link:

Brief Description: Raddle from Animal Crossing!
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Free Range
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: bear… or wombat?
Project Link:
Brief Description: @QueenHobo let me use some of her yarn and stuffing to make a bear. It looks a little more like a wombat to me, but whatevs. It’s cute either way!
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

This looks exactly like him! Great job! I know she will love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry you all for being lazy and mostly just pressing the :heart: button. Most of the time when I see this thread I’m on my phone and I hate typing on my phone!

Anyway, team Bits and Bobs, I believe this post has me completing all the prompts for this term! Woo! (well, not all the extras, but the given ones)

Prompt: March Bracketology
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Mrs. Mantis Goes to Town
Project Link: Mrs. Mantis Comes to Town
Brief Description: Insect Prompt in the Coronavirus challenge-along
Project Photo:

4 Likes

I went back and edited my posts that had ATCs (the master board post already had a link). Hooray!

Okay… I need to get something done for school, and then I can craft for the rest of the day to finish the last 4 prompts!

1 Like

I was hoping to get a few more prompts done but so few finishes recently :confused::frowning:

Oh well, if I get on and finish some, I’ll have a head start on the new season :grinning:

1 Like

I’m excited for the new season! I keep a running list of projects that I can do. Then, I try to fit them to whatever the prompts are. Often, during the season, there’s some shuffling. This season, I checked off quite a few from my list. Of course, I always end up adding in new projects, too :grinning:

1 Like

I think I’m gonna hit all of the named prompts this season!

Prompt: February - Owls
Team: :running_woman::scissors:
Project Name: Star Trek ATC
Project Link: -
Brief Description: I painted this portrait of Worf from Deep Space Nine in his baseball outfit for the discord ATC swap. His eyes may not be huge, but they DO have big energy. :wink:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March Battle - Sportsball
Project Name: Sunflower Temari
Project Link: Sunflower Temari
Brief Description: Although very decorative, temari were also traditional toys, used for handball and other games.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Braketology
Project Name: Scrappy Sachet (left)
Project Link: Scrappy Sachet (or temari display pillow) - Photo Tutorial!
Brief Description: A lavender-filled pillow - the patchwork creates many interesting lines, as does the stitching around the edge.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Ball
Project Name: Easter Temari
Project Link: Pastel Easter Temari
Brief Description: A pastel colored temari ball made for a personal swap.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Basket
Project Name: Scrappy Sachet 2
Project Link: Scrappy Sachet (or temari display pillow) - Photo Tutorial!
Brief Description: This lavender-filled pillow holds a temari for display.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Mascots
Project Name: Bird toys
Brief Description: This little flock of birds had a touch of catnip in the filling!
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Loving the Temari balls!!

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Engineer shirt
Brief Description: Finally finished this shirt for a friend.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Scrolling through this craftalong is always so great. Seeing how everyone fits their projects to the prompts :slight_smile:
I really wanted to Craft All The Things this season, but ran out of mojo. I got it back a few days ago, but too late in the season to finish everything. Oh, well, there’s always the next round :pray:

Here’s what I did manage to complete:

Prompt: January - Diet/Exercise
Project Name: Mushroom Soup
Brief Description:
Just a simple mushroom soup. Not very photogenic, but very yummy and comforting on a cold evening.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Waterfowl
Project Name: Instant Pot Spaghetti
Brief Description:
We got an instant pot as a gift not long ago. A couple of days ago I decided to finally open the box and try it. I used this recipe as a guide, but made a few changes to fit what I had in the kitchen. It turned out yummy, and is now all gone.
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Eyes Ring
Brief Description:
With this ring I can look around corners :smiley: Not sure how well they see.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Songbirds
Project Name: Colorful Rings
Brief Description:
These rings are small and colorful
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Crochet Cuff
Brief Description:
Found a random bag of yarn and a single crochet hook. Pulled out an orange ball and pretended to know what I’m doing. It turned out to be a cuff. Now my daughter wants one too.
Project Photo(s):

Hmm, this is getting long, I’ll start another post for the rest.

3 Likes

That definition sounds like what I did today at work :slight_smile:

And a few more, that didn’t fit the monthly prompts:

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Birthday Cake
Brief Description:
My daughter, brother and sister in law have birthdays within two weeks of each other, so we joined these three family birthdays and had a family gathering to celebrate (back when we could still do that). My mom baked the cake, I only decorated it. I love the fact that it’s a really quick way to decorate but looks awesome.
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Crystal Princess
Brief Description:
For Purim, my daughter wanted to dress up as a crystal princess. We found this perfect dress. I added the crystal stripe at the waist and a string of led lights between the skirts.
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Cupcakes
Brief Description:
Simple chocolate cupcakes with whipped cream frosting. A treat for reading the book “Cakes in Space”.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: February- Hawks
Project Name: Reverse Pleated Positive & Negative Panda Pouch

Project Link: (Will be posted on tomorrow)

Brief Description: My mom found me an embroidery machine for a steal, and when I went down to pick it up, I played around with it. This cute panda was pre-loaded on the machine, so I used it as my sample. The tension is way off, so I tried it more than once. I decided to make one of them in the opposite colors. And I decided to use them to make a zipper pouch!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March- Bracketology
Project Name: Jar Opener

Project Link: (Will be posted tomorrow)

Brief Description: My friend had one of these in her gift pile, and I thought it would be easy enough to make (for some reason, this one was a nightmare). It’s made with 2 squares of cotton fabric and a piece of shelf liner. The shelf liner is attached with lines of stitching.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March- Ball
Project Name: Fabric Bowl Covers

Brief Description: These are made by tracing a circle of fabric that is 2" bigger than the bowl. Then, the edge is folded over to make the casing for the elastic. The hardest part was folding over the edge to make the casing. I actually had to bust out the iron.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March- Chips & Dip
Project Name:Upcycled Shopping Tote & Stenciled Produce Bag

Brief Description: I have had a stack of bird seed bags (from my sister) for a very long time. I knew I wanted to make shopping totes out of them. This one is oddly shaped because I had to cut off the sides (there was a hole in it), but I learned a lot in the making of it.

I alsi had some mesh bags (from the Dollar Tree), so I cut a mushroom stencil (I had to get in at least one mushroom item made for Mushroom March, right @Magpie?) and stenciled the mushrooms onto the mesh with fabric paint.

Now, I’m ready for the farmers’ market this summer!

Project Photo(s):

That completes all of the prompts for me! Now, I need to eat someting (I skipped dinner so I could finish my items) and then go to bed!

2 Likes

Prompt: January - Diet and Exercise
Project Name: Decorated Cookies
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I gave a friend a present of a class of her choosing, and she chose decorated cookies! (this was, obviously, back in… January? I think) I am so glad she picked it, I learned a ton and it was so much fun!
Project Photo(s):
Decorated Cookies

Prompt: January - De-Stress
Project Name: Tiny Dragon
Brief Description: This pattern stresses me out, a lot. I’ve made it twice and it’s not getting any easier! It’s tiny and fiddly and hard to make, but I like the end result!
Project Photo(s):
Tiny Dragon

Prompt: January - De-Stress
Project Name: Mario Stars
Brief Description: Anyone else play Super Mario Party with their spouse? Anyone else get stars STOLEN from them?! I made these for my hubby for his birthday after he stole some from me, and now, we’ve learned, and in the lockdown era we only play in co-op team mode!
Project Photo(s):
Mario Stars

Prompt: February - Vultures
Project Name: Scrap Blood Drop
Brief Description: I really can’t throw away little piece of yarn! This guy was made from scraps, some as little as 12" long…
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Crocheted Owl
Brief Description: I pinned this pattern eons ago, and finally made one!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Songbirds
Project Name: Bird Blood Drop
Project Link: Bird Blood Drop (with Pattern)
Brief Description: A cute little bird buddy blood drop to help with your donation!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Hawks
Project Name: Spidey Blood Drop
Brief Description: Not the best picture, I know, this is the second Spidey I made, and he’s swift, right? So is donating blood, especially with your own squeezy friend!
Project Photo(s):
Spidey Blood Drop

Prompt: February - Waterfowl
Project Name: Shark Blood Drop
Project Link: Shark Blood Drop (with Pattern)
Brief Description: Sharks live in the water! Another in my long line of character blood drops!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - …

Normally I would have TOTALLY picked Sportsball. I love sports. I miss them dearly, though completely understand them not being around (though this has also led me to discover the COMBAT JUGGLING is a sport, since ESPN is running old rerun of the more out-there sports). But given the situation… Netflix. Because staying home is the 100% right thing to do. That being said, if you are well and healthy, they still need blood!
Project Name: Unicorn Blood Drop
Brief Description: Now is the time to indulge in all your unicorn and fantasy guilty pleasure movies and shows… if that’s My Little Pony, I’m not going to judge! And why not have a little unicorn friend?
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Bracketology
Project Name: Moonlight Art (2 dogs)
Brief Description: The tree branches are definitely… branching! This was made for a “Send a Valentine to a Dog” card I made for a local animal shelter.
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Moonlight Art (Barn)
Brief Description: Another art piece I made to make a card, the moon is definitely ROUND! This is the “Little Red Barn” of the shelter
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Basket
Project Name: Bunny!
Brief Description: Yarn is string, right? This is a crocheted bunny made for… no reason.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Chips and Dip
Project Name: Moonlight art - Girl and Dog, and Boy and Dog
Brief Description: So this will take a little bit of explaining, but the original artwork (the girl and dog) was sent to a specific dog that the two people at the rescue had a friendly “she loves me more” competition. This was a mostly feral dog that they coaxed into living indoors and letting people pet her, and she has been adopted! But anyway, in the card I said we all knew she loved the one person more, and it was actually the OTHER person who did the FB live to read the cards and the reaction was hilarious. Much finger-pointing ensued. I was “fired”, but it was retracted. I did the second artwork as a “sorry” showing him and the dog…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Mascots
Project Name: Cat…Fox?
Brief Description: It’s an animal, I’m not sure which one. The arms and legs were leftover from a previous attempt at a cat pattern (the paws were supposed to be white, and instead of scrapping these I made new ones) and the ears are from the cat pattern, but the body, head, and muzzle are freeform.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free-Range 1
Project Name: Moonlight Art (Dog and Star)
Brief Description: Another art piece I made to make a card!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free-Range 2
Project Name: Moonlight Art (Girl)
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free-Range 2

Project Name: Moonlight Art (Girl)

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: 8 Octopodes
Brief Description: Made for my Walk to Mordor Group!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time 2
Project Name: 5 (more) Crow Tea Wallets
Brief Description: Made for my Walk to Mordor Group!
Project Photo(s):
Crow Tea Wallets

Prompt: Big Time 3
Project Name: Crochet Unicorn
Brief Description: These things take forever, I swear, between the making the pieces to the sewing together… maybe I’m just slow, but I have yet to find much in the way of amigurumi that isn’t fairy time consuming!
Project Photo(s):
Unicorn

Prompt: Zaps 1-5
Project Name: Flower Broaches
Brief Description: They’re pretty simple and quick, and once I started making them, I just couldn’t stop! Great for using up small bits of fabric and buttons!
Project Photo(s):
Button Boraches

Sorry to project dump and run… and sorry I’ve been so absent. :frowning:

2 Likes

Ahahaha I always love the last day of a season - project dump day! I have just one last one and I’ll have done every single crafting opportunity for this season!!

Prompt: Zap #5
Project Name: Crochet Swatch
Brief Description: This is the swatch I worked on at SBC’s house when she was teaching me how to crochet. As you can see I practiced different stitches, increasing and decreasing, and then switching colors! This took way longer than half an hour, but didn’t feel like a real project, so zap it is!
Project Photo(s):

I also sewed a button back on one of Dad’s shirts today; it hadn’t occurred to me until he asked that I can actually do PRACTICAL things with all these sewing supplies too! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The Winter Nerd Games 2020 are now closed!

The fun will continue in the new Spring 2020 thread. You can begin posting as soon as @Smeddley posts the prompts in the prompt palace.

Thank you for such an amazing season of awesome crafting! I am working on the tracking update now. I will post the results soon.

2 Likes

Be sure to check out the Tracking Update!

My favorite thing is seeing the projects dumps! Wow! So many projects done in this craftalong!

1 Like