CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2021

I’m also taking up the banner for a new team this round.
Prompt: Dendrite (January)
Team: Bits & Bobs
Project Name: Scrappy Embellishments, Volume 1
Project Link: Scrappy Jobbers
Brief Description: I spent the anniversary Zoom yesterday making a variety of embellishments with various bits I had at hand. This group gets bigger from the middle out (except the paper clip, which is branchy).
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Snow Squall (January)
Project Name: Scrappy Embellishments, Volume 2
Brief Description: This kind of embellishment is made quickly (they all were, but I’m counting only the ones in this photo toward this prompt).
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Sastrugi (January)
Project Name: Scrappy Embellishments, Volume 3
Brief Description: These all contain stripes/parallel(ish) lines of some description.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: January Lake-Effect Snow
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: seahorse card
Project Link:
Brief Description: This card features a bit of watercolor (the coral), so it’s made with water. The background is made with blended distress inks, which were a gift from @gozer (thank you :kissing_heart:)!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January Snow Squall
Project Name: hat for my dad
Project Link:
Brief Description: My father loves his smoker! And he wears a lot of hats. So this idea was born. It was pretty quick to work up the stencil on my silhouette and painting it was pretty quick, too! I painted it during the anniversary zoom meeting.
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Do you use a special type/brand of paint when you paint with your stencils? They always turn out so good! (We bought my dh a smoker for Christmas this year!)

I love how the background turned on your card. Very pretty!

4 Likes

Thank you!

I use Tulip matte fabric paint. The real trick is to take your time and not have too much paint on your brush. Whenever I get impatient and load the brush too much, I get bleeding paint and regrets.

5 Likes

Honestly though any matte fabric paint will work. I’ve used Martha Stewart brand as well.

3 Likes

Prompt: December Blizzard
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Rose Embroidery Necklace
Project Link: Embroidery Necklaces
Brief Description: I decided to switch up teams this season since I love color and I am going to try to encourage myself to draw more. I picked BLIZZARD since I think the little French knots look like snow.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December Lake-Effect Snow
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Bee Embroidery Necklace
Project Link: Embroidery Necklaces
Brief Description: I used water to dissolve the original pattern and draw my own design. Then I used water again to dissolve the ink I drew my design in.
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Both gorgeous, @gozer!

1 Like

These are both so amazing!

1 Like

Prompt: January - Battle - Blizzard
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Minnie Mouse Dress
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this dress for Minnie Mouse fanatic Grumpy Frog. I asked her to smile, and this is what I got :woman_facepalming:t3:

I went with blizzard because the dots look like snow
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

It’s adorable! It looks like she has room to grow and enjoy this for a little while!

2 Likes

Lol. It’s just a little big. The punk took it off right after I took the picture and won’t put it on again. Two year olds :roll_eyes: :joy:

2 Likes

haha, you will wear that Mickey Mouse dress I made for you, you will! She runs away giggling…haha…yep!

2 Likes

Prompt: January: Lake Effect Snow
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: Puffins on Rocks Felt Square
Brief Description: There is water and it represents areas where you find puffins!
Project Photo:
20210105_200453_resize_95

8 Likes

Hi all! Hooray for another new season! :slight_smile: I’m finally joining @storerboughtcreation on Team Knotty by Nature, since she got me hooked on her yarny ways!

Prompt: January - Lake-Effect Snow
Project Name: Toucan Amigurumi
Project Link: Toucan Amigurumi
Brief Description: Toucans are from Central and South America! I have never been to either, but think it would be fun! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Dendrite
Project Name: Cuttlefish!
Project Link: Cuttlefish!
Brief Description: This cuttlefish branches out into many tentacles! Interestingly, they were all made as part of the body, not sewn on! So it really felt branchy as I made it.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Nice job with the reupholstering! That’s something I’m not brave enough to try myself; my parents were just about to get a ton of stuff reupholstered right before the pandemic hit (so the project is on hold), but they were definitely hiring people for it, not DIY. I’m impressed by your work!! :slight_smile: And it’s such a pretty color.
The sympathy cards are beautiful. I’m sure they were very much appreciated!
Your puffin square is soooo cute! What are you planning to use it for? I think a wall hanging made up of several squares in that style would be awesome.

First of all, I can’t think of anything more appropriate for team Bits and Bobs than your adorable embellishments. Those look so fun! I used to scrapbook a LOT, but haven’t in years. I know I would love to use things like what you made if I ever start up again!

Your seahorse card is so pretty! I really like all the soft gradients and bright colors.
And as I said in the zoom party, your hat turned out great! Very clean lines, and a fun message for your smokin’ family! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ooh, your necklaces are great! Embroidery is one of the (far too many) crafts that I would love to get good at someday. You’re motivating me to try more (if I can put the yarn down for five minutes).

This dress is just so cute!! And she’s got room to grow into it, which is always good for a kid her age!

3 Likes

Prompt: zap #1
Project Name: s&p shakers
Project Link:
Brief Description: I recently broke my glass pepper shaker. I was pretty upset because I really liked that set. But my hubby bought this nice, and LARGE, stainless set. There are so many holes, though, that the spices run through really fast. So to slow things down, and label the shakers, I covered some of the holes with vinyl.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: Dendrite (January)
Project Name: Lettuce stamp
Project Link: Lettuce stamp
Brief Description: a lettuce stamp I carved. To be used in another project. The veins on the leaves branch out!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: January Battle: Snow
Project: A Wise Crafter made Christmas Tags from Cards....and so did I!
Brief Description: Many of these gift tags have snowy scenes.
Project Photo:
20210108_164139_resize_44
(one of three)

6 Likes

That stamp turned out great! I can’t wait to see what the project is you will use it for!

1 Like

@Lynx I love your ottoman reupholstered project. It’s always nice having extra storage hidden away. I’d love something like this to hide away my current crochet project! Your puffin square is so bright and cheerful. What are your plans for this piece? I also love your project reusing old cards as tags. I saw the post @TheMistressT shared too, and I want to make some as well!

@megwell Your scrappy jobbers pair perfectly with your team change! They certainly scream bits and bobs! I love all of the color.

@Bunny1kenobi That seahorse card is amazing! I have no idea how to use paints. Maybe one of these days I’ll be able to find a community class that isn’t too expensive and I can learn some fun new skills to make something amazing like this! I will have to remember your vinyl idea from your salt and pepper shakers for the future. I think I have a few shakers that would benefit from something like this!

@gozer I love the details on both of your brooches. I also love the jewelry you put the pieces on. They add so much more to your already elegant pieces.

@roler I really love that toucan! I know he isn’t your favorite of all of your projects, but it’s still so cute! Your cuttlefish turned out so amazing! I look forward to the next one you make!

@geekgirl I am so amazed by people that can carve stamps. There is so much detail in such a small space! Your heads of lettuce look fabulous!

3 Likes