CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2021

Prompt: February - Solar
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Bernie Sanders doll
Project Link:
Brief Description: Two different friends asked me to make a Bernie doll. It took me a bit to figure out the glasses, and I’m not 100% happy with them, but at least he has glasses now. His head is round, like the sun.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Geothermal
Project Name: Bernie again
Project Link:
Brief Description: He is inside his coat, acrylic yarn is made using heat… take your pick on why it fits the prompt :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):
See above

7 Likes

He’s great, and the glasses look wonderful.

2 Likes

Thank you! I have a severe vitamin D deficiency that has been hurting all of my joints, plus my elbows have been super swollen, decreasing my range of motion and causing more pain. Between that, the arthritis in my left fingers, and the overall frustration of working with wire, I was in tears. I finally handed off to my husband, but his glasses looked even worse than mine :joy:

Tonight I decided to search through cupboards and closets to find something that would work to help me bend the wire. I finally found a plastic clothes hanger (the kind they use at the store) and decided to try it. It worked perfectly for size.

2 Likes

I used glue and metallic embroidery thread around the wires…I got frustrated with the gloves, so I made plain hands and did the mittens separately…you are a true champ…I made him for my niece and won’t be making another ever! lol

2 Likes

he’s awesome! great job!

1 Like

Prompt: Big Time # 2
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: Operation Use Up Yarn -- Square Crochet Basket
Brief Description: Used up the rest of my bulky yarn to make this neat-o square crochet basket.
Project Photo:
20210225_155306_resize_30

8 Likes

Prompt: Big Time

Team: Bits and Bobs

Project Name: Granny Rectangle Afghan

Project Link: Granny Rectangle Afhgan

Brief Description: I started this over on the old site, years ago. And then, it got put aside until I finally picked it up again as something I could do while I was having virtual meetings. I don’t crochet very quickly, so I spent at least 10 hours this season on it- weaving in the tails alone took me an hour and a half! I’m pretty happy with how it turned out!

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: February - Reuse
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Dino Drawstring
Project Link: Not yet.
Brief Description: I made this from a pillowcase. Reused it! It’s for a swap, but I am not sending it until March so I had to blur it. Is it blurred?
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Big Time # 3
Project Name: Operation Use Up Yarn - Short Vertical Filet Scarf
Brief Description: This handsome vertical filet pattern helped me use up 3 balls of sock weight yarn that used to belong to my grandma!
Project Photo:

6 Likes

@gozer it’s blurred and it’s ADORABLE!

3 Likes

I am not in that swap so I definitely peeked! It is really nice and will be a fun surprise if your partner doesn’t get too curious! lol…

2 Likes

PROJECT DUMP!! Some of these items are for the IYP so if you are TheMistressT or tendstowardschaos you might not want to un-blur some of these if you wanna avoid spoilers. :wink:

Prompt: January Dendrite
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Valentines cards with necklaces
Project Link:
Brief Description: The cord for the necklace branches out on the front of each of the cards.
Project Photo(s):

The cards before necklaces:

The leather necklaces:

Prompt: January Firn
Project Name: surprise for TheMistressT
Project Link:
Brief Description: Hopefully this will last more than a year.
Project Photo(s):

Side 1

Side 2

Prompt: January Sastrugi
Project Name: new grandson outfit
Project Link:
Brief Description: We have a grandson due in July! I made this little outfit for him. The dinos March across the fabric in parallel lines.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February Battle -Reduce
Project Name: new grandson blanket
Project Link:
Brief Description: Reduced my stash making this blanket for the little one!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Solar
Project Name: kids valentines cards
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made these for the little ones in my Sunday school class. We like to keep in touch with them since meeting in person isn’t happening right now. The eyes are round, as are the little monster friends.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Geothermal
Project Name: another surprise for TheMistressT
Project Link:
Brief Description: These are made with leather, a natural material.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February Biomass
Project Name: An extra for TheMistressT
Project Link:
Brief Description: Features the color green. The image is one that I drew years ago but copied and retouched manually for this project.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: surprise for Tendstowardschaos
Project Link:
Brief Description: This took a lot longer than I would have thought because I had to make it a total of 3 times before it came out right.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time #2
Project Name: surprise for Tendstowardschaos
Project Link:
Brief Description: Yes, believe it or not, it took me most of the day to complete this.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: extra for TheMistressT
Project Link:
Brief Description: Very useful!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #3
Project Name: extra for Tendstowardschaos
Project Link:
Brief Description: Very useful!
Project Photo(s):

*edited to add big time #2

4 Likes

It’s so great to see what everyone is up to :heart_eyes:
I haven’t been super creative this month, I think most of my entries are going to be food related.

Prompt: February Battle - Reduce
Project Name: Random yummy for my tummy
Project Link:
Brief Description:
In an effort to reduce a pile of vegetables before they go bad, and reduce my hunger, I mixed up this lunch. I browsed a few recipes but ended up doing my own thing. It has eggplant, zucchini, sweet potato, onion, tomato puree and Israeli couscous. Topped with Parmesan, and enjoyed in the afternoon sun.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Lake-Effect Snow
Project Name: Bento Boxes
Project Link: A bit of bento fun
Brief Description:
Made bento boxes for the kid and for me. Bento boxes and Anime represent Japan.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: February Battle - Reduce
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Acrylic Pouring
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: So, finally got to try acrylic pouring! I’m so cheap, though, I didn’t want to spend a ton of money on canvases that I knew I would ruin at least most of, so… I had over 100 cardboard inserts from fat quarters from when I made the patchwork rainbow skirts, I decided to use those! And while a lot of them didn’t turn out, some of them did, and we learned a lot to put into Acrylic Pouring Night 2! (the vase and whatnot were my friend’s, who kindly let me come over and slop paint all over her house… sorry the photos aren’t the best, it was a long night full of wine and fun…)
Project Photo(s):
Acrylic Pouring 1
Acrylic Pouring 2
Acrylic Pouring 3

8 Likes

Prompt: February Wind
Team: Knotty by nature
Project Name: Cloud suncatcher v1
Project Link:
Brief Description: I am so ready for spring! I made a clay cloud & dangled faceted chandelier crystals on it. Now during the day my room is full of dancing rainbows!
Project Photo:

Prompt: February Geothermal
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Calzones
Project Link:
Brief Description: Used heat to bake these pizza filled calzones!
Project Photo:

6 Likes

@Lynx The basket you made is a great way to use up yarn! Not only are you using what you already have, you’re making a great way to store items. I love it!

@craftADDchick I like your granny blanket, and I’m so happy you finished it! Weaving in ends is my least favorite task. I made a Spongebob blanket 4 years ago, and it took me over 8 hours to weave in the ends (even with help from my sister!). I feel your pain.

@gozer I love the dino bag. It’s perfect and the person you’re sending it to will be very happy with it!

@Bunny1kenobi The cards you made are so cute! I absolutely love the first blurred item in your post. Side 1 is my favorite. Your project dump is full of so many cute things, and looking at all of the items you made had me smiling. I don’t want to comment more because I don’t want to ruin your swap surprises :slightly_smiling_face:

@Tanath Your food posts had me drooling. The bento boxes look delicious and adorable

@Smeddley I’ve seen so many videos of acrylic pouring, and it looks so fun (and messy!). I love all of the colors you chose. :hearts:

@ezrib Your suncatcher is adorable, and I love the idea of having rainbows dancing around the room. I bet it helps improve your day :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The prompts for March have been posted!

2 Likes

I really, really used to hate weaving in the ends and I would only do projects with solid colors or very limited color changes. Now, I find it a little relaxing, actually. I tend to weave my ends in pretty thoroughly, so it takes me a little longer than it probably should.

2 Likes

Prompt: March: Horseshoe
Project: Operation Use Up Yarn - Lettuce Craft 4x6 Art Piece!
Brief Description: This is a 4x6 art piece that hopefully gets hung on the wall!
Project Photo:

4 Likes

Prompt: March - Rainbow
Project Name: Cat barf rainbow scarf 1
Project Link: Cat barf rainbow scarf
Brief Description: I love the bright colors of the rainbow scarf
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Battle - Pot of Gold
Project Name: Cat barf rainbow scarf 2
Project Link: Cat barf rainbow scarf
Brief Description: A pot of gold is supposed to be at the end of the rainbow. I’d rather find that than a cat barfing up the rainbow :joy:
Project Photo(s):
See above

5 Likes