CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2021

This is so beautiful. It reminds me of home.

2 Likes

Excellent functional solution to your over-zealous seasoning problem! XD I like that it helps with the holes, and makes stylish labels all at once!

Awww, isn’t it sweet how this site is giving all of us a whole new appreciation for that vegetable! XD Great stamp carving!
The art journal page is really cool. I’m impressed that such seemingly random lines and patterns can look so fresh and intentional. :slight_smile:
Wow, look at all that dense stitching on your Northern Lights Hoop! It must have taken a long time. I like the water especially; the different colors really give it a sense of reflection.

That’s a really good idea! We just ran out of tags again and I ended up just using little scraps of leftover wrapping paper, but this looks so much nicer!

This hummingbird is so great! The colors are so cheerful, and all that detail is amazing!

Hahaha, I’ve been playing Among Us on and off lately with various different friend groups, so this really made me smile! It’s such a fun little character! Great job! How big is it btw?

Ooh, another lettuce stamp! This one definitely looks perfect for swaps and cards with crafters! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Prompt: January Battle - Blizzard
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: January Block of the Month
Project Link: Quilt-along 2021
Brief Description: After years of wanting to quilt but feeling too intimidated, I finally got inspired by our very own site’s Quilt-along! This is my first block of the month over there, and I think it looks a bit like a snowflake, so I’m entering it for the Blizzard prompt here.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

So proud of you!

2 Likes

Prompt: January - Sastrugi
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: bubblegum sweater for Beast Jr
Project Link: Bubblegum Sweater
Brief Description: This sweater has stripes. I made it for my niece. She chose the colors and was so excited when I gave it to her this morning.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Snow squall - (January)
Team: Bits & Bobs
Project Name: quick note cards
Project Link: quick note cards
Brief Description: note cards I made at the last minute because I needed one. and they are quick. 13 of them took me a little over 30 minutes
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I think it looks great!

that is a cute sweater

3 Likes

Prompt: January - Sastrugi
Project Name: Gecko Hugs
Project Link: Gecko Hugs!
Brief Description: This little gecko has stripes!
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

@geekgirl I love the vibrant colors you chose for your journal pages, and how creative you got with “trash.” That norther lights hoop is amazing! I liked the first one you made, but this one is my favorite! The details in the water and mountains… :open_mouth: :exploding_head:

@Inselaeffchen I only recently figured out what these crew mates are. I still haven’t played the game, but it sounds fun. I look forward to seeing the second one you made!

@gozer I love your snail mail stamp! It is darling! I see how you carved the stamp, but I just can’t wrap my head around how you actually carved it to make it work. Maybe one day I will try it. I even have cut gloves my hubby ordered that were too small for him. And since I’m so accident prone, the gloves are a must for me!

@roler Last year you began mastering crochet. I can’t wait to see what you accomplish this year with quilting! Your first square looks great, and with your eye for color and patterns, you’re sure to come up with some amazing creations! Your gecko certainly does look like it’s trying to hug me through the computer. So cute!

2 Likes

Prompt: December – Sastrugi
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: TM Patch
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for a personal swap. It’s supposed to be a golden snitch from HP. I used metallic felt for the snitch and metallic thread for the wings. The edges have lots of parallel lines and are stripy.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December – Snow Squall
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Grape Sherbert
Project Link:
Brief Description: I love grape ice cream. I usually get it at Bruster’s, but this year we didn’t go due to Covid. So, we are attempting to recreate it at home. The first time was a HUGE failure. Huge. It was kind of gross, but I was desperate, so I ate it. This batch turned out much better. It is so yummy!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I have been commenting using the links, but here are the comments for those that didn’t have them.

@Lynx – The sympathy card is very sweet. Sorry to hear about your loss.

@Bunny1kenobi – The seahorse card is really pretty. I love the way you blended the background. The white bubbles are a great touch and add depth. The hat turned out great and is funny. Clever fix with the S & P shakers!

@storerboughtcreation – The Minnie Mouse dress is precious, and so s that grin. LOL!

@geekgirl – I love your art journaling. You are a master at it. You have an eye for colors and image placement. The one with the eyes is amazing. I also love the purple one. I love that it can be so many things. I see a room in a bar. Fantastic!

@Inselaeffchen – The crewmate is cute. I’ve never played the game, but it’s cool that you made something for your girls based on it.

@roler – I didn’t even know there was a quilt-along. That is a great way to motivate yourself to make a quilt! I am currently procrastinating on a quilted ottoman cover. I agree; they are intimidating. Mine’s only been cut out for about a year, so not too shabby. LOL! I can’t wait to see your finished quilt. I love the colors you used on this square.

2 Likes

I’m not too keen playing Among Us… it’s too fast for my brain. :grinning: The pattern I used is here. The crewmate is about 4-5" tall I think.

3 Likes

Prompt: Big Time – #1
Team: Palatable Art
Project Name: Venkman the Felt Doll
Project Link: Venkman the cat felt doll
Brief Description: This is a feltie made of my dear Venkman. I miss him so much.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - Dendrite
Project Name: Sunshine bag
Brief Description: Venk was my Sunshine, so I embroidered a sunshine on his bag.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Woven blankie
Brief Description: Venk also loved my baby blanket. When I was thinking of accessories for him, I wanted him to have his own blankie. I knew I couldn’t knit or crochet it, but I figured I might be able to weave it and it worked! I was really happy with how it turned out.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: January Battle Royale- Blizzard
Project Name: Snowflake coasters
Project Link:
Brief Description: I crocheted these snowflake coasters wanting a subtle winter decoration that wasn’t Christmasy.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January Big time (1)
Project Name: Paper snowflakes
Project Link:
Brief Description: If I could do one thing for the rest of my like it would be making paper snowflakes! Changing out Christmas decorations to winter I decided to fill my house with snowflakes this year. My husband thinks I’m nuts. I have them everywhere.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Gozer, I LOVE your Venkman doll, and his little accessories. Especially that blanket. :heart:

1 Like

Prompt: Firn (January)
Project Name: Potholder
Project Link: Potholder in Primary Colors*
Brief Description: I’d like to think this potholder will last at least a year, even if the weave isn’t quite as tight as it should be because I managed to pop a loop off the loom without realizing it.
Project Photo(s):
20210120_145101
Prompt: Blizzard (January Battle)
Project Name: Stop My Mind Journal Page
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I made this in an Art Journaling Craftalong Zoom. We were following a video about leaving white space, and the whiteout effect here seems blizzardy to me.
Project Photo(s):
20210112_163616

7 Likes

Prompt: January Sastrugi
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: Backyard Friends Notecards Set 1
Brief Description: These are notecards and they have parallel sides.
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Prompt: Research Project Number 1
Project Name: Felted Birds Sprawling Garland Aviary
Brief Description: 20 felted birds worked on over the course of at least 10 days!
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Once again, I am going to comment on posts without links only since I posted on the threads for the other ones:
@ezrib – The snowflake coasters are perfect for the winter. They are really pretty. I enjoy a seasonal, non-holiday specific change up too. Your snowflakes are beautiful and I see you have a lot of snow out your window too. They look very dreamy!

@megwell – Your journaling page turned out really cool! I love the colors… and the white space.

3 Likes

Prompt: January: Snow Squall
Project Name: Masks are the new bra cards
Brief Description: I did not expect to find these mask die cuts or this hilarious (but true) comparison to bras. These worked up quickly.
Project Photo:
20210129_162721_resize_30

5 Likes