CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2021

Gozer, I LOVE your Venkman doll, and his little accessories. Especially that blanket. :heart:

1 Like

Prompt: Firn (January)
Team: Bits & Bobs
Project Name: Potholder
Project Link: Potholder in Primary Colors*
Brief Description: I’d like to think this potholder will last at least a year, even if the weave isn’t quite as tight as it should be because I managed to pop a loop off the loom without realizing it.
Project Photo(s):
20210120_145101
Prompt: Blizzard (January Battle)
Team: Bits & Bobs
Project Name: Stop My Mind Journal Page
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I made this in an Art Journaling Craftalong Zoom. We were following a video about leaving white space, and the whiteout effect here seems blizzardy to me.
Project Photo(s):
20210112_163616

7 Likes

Prompt: January Sastrugi
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: Backyard Friends Notecards Set 1
Brief Description: These are notecards and they have parallel sides.
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Prompt: Research Project Number 1
Project Name: Felted Birds Sprawling Garland Aviary
Brief Description: 20 felted birds worked on over the course of at least 10 days!
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Once again, I am going to comment on posts without links only since I posted on the threads for the other ones:
@ezrib – The snowflake coasters are perfect for the winter. They are really pretty. I enjoy a seasonal, non-holiday specific change up too. Your snowflakes are beautiful and I see you have a lot of snow out your window too. They look very dreamy!

@megwell – Your journaling page turned out really cool! I love the colors… and the white space.

3 Likes

Prompt: January: Snow Squall
Project Name: Masks are the new bra cards
Brief Description: I did not expect to find these mask die cuts or this hilarious (but true) comparison to bras. These worked up quickly.
Project Photo:
20210129_162721_resize_30

5 Likes

This sweater is SO bright and cheerful, and even more so because of the cute smiley model! Awesome job! Especially for sticking with it even when you had to redo parts!

Wow, all those in half an hour? That IS quick!! Your color palette is so pretty too! I especially love the middle right one with the vertical stripes.

Ahh, I really want to get back into TM patches again! I’m a little sad that my sewing machine cover doesn’t look quite as nice on my new sewing machine, but it still works. :slight_smile: I just need to make something else that looks even better now! XD I love the stitches on your snitch, and especially how the border stitching looks almost tangled; that’s a REALLY cool look!
Hahaha, hooray for getting your ice cream recipe right!
As for your quilt WIP, I totally get it; I have a mini quilt I tried to do last year as an experiment and all it needs is binding, but it’s been months and months!
You are so amazing at the felt dolls! Your new one is so recognizable as Venkman; it’s super sweet. And I LOVE that little stitched bag! Too cute!!
Also omg I can’t believe you wove something so tiny like that!! Well done!

gasp Ezrib!! So glad to have you back!! Those coasters are beautiful, and so precisely stitched! Do you have a pattern to share?
And you are taking paper snowflakes to a whole new level! I’ve never seen them made 3D like that, but I love the effect!

Oh yeah, that pot holder should definitely last you, and the bright colors REALLY pop!! :slight_smile:
Very cool journal page! You’ve balanced the whites and colors so nicely!

Your cards are so pretty! I’m so happy to have the ones you’ve sent me in the past, and these look wonderful with those extra backgrounds as well! I particularly love the little squirrel. :slight_smile:
Congratulations on finished ALL those BIRDS!! And in just ten days! That’s like a craft marathon! They look absolutely perfect on that beautiful branch, and that’s going to be a striking and wonderful decoration for years and years to come, I’m sure!
Hee hee, the mask cards are very cute. I feel like if I were still scrapbooking, I’d be using that mask die cut a LOT. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Prompt: January - Firn
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Shadowhunters ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: This is one of three ATCs I made for a personal swap with @GeekyBookworm. I’m not familiar with this show myself, but she asked for cat eyes making blue magic, so I did my best! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Snow Squall
Project Name: Dragon ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: Another ATC from the same swap. I’ve been experimenting with different media and techniques. This is a dragon silhouette cut from cardstock, then pasted over a card that I’d covered completely with sparkly washi tape! I’m choosing this prompt because ATCs in general are faster for me than other crafts (although I’m pretty slow at them too!).
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: Star Wars ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: Last of the three ATCs from that swap. This one I think I managed to put together in under half an hour, which is impressive for me! I rarely finish anything quickly enough to qualify as a zap. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: For this Star Wars theme, I featured photos of TM patches I’ve made in previous years.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: January: Dendrite
Project Name: Machu Picchu Watercolor
Brief Description: There is a bit of a branching pattern where the steps lead to the building on the left side. There are also a couple trees in this painting.
Project Photo:
20210130_170751_resize_74

7 Likes

Prompt: January Battle - Blizzard
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Snowflake pendant
Project Link:
Brief Description:
This is a very small blizzard, it’s only one snowflake. I hope this one brings a flurry of more completed projects from me.
Project Photo:

9 Likes

Prompt : January Battle - Sleet
Team : Running w scissors
Project Name : Goal board
Project Link :
Brief Description :
This goal board is under glass (kinda like ice?) so that I can use a dry erase marker on it to update goals as they are completed.
Project Photo :

5 Likes

Prompt: January Battle- Blizzard
Project Name: Spin Art Background Pages
Project Link: Spin Art Background Pages
Brief Description: I made some spin art pages for another project, and I think it fits blizzard for the theme because on the weather radar, a blizzard looks a lot like spin art!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January- Snow Squall
Project Name: Sawtooth Star Block (January BOM)
Project Link: Quilt-along 2021
Brief Description: I am participating in the Quilt-along 2021, and I needed to get my January block finished. Of course, I didn’t have time to make it until today, so I had to get it made pretty quickly. I followed the linked tutorial, and it turned out to be a pretty quick block to make (even if I did have to rip out and redo the last 4 seams).
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: January Battle - Blizzard
Team: Palettable Art:
Project Name: Crochet Gnome
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Just a little crochet gnome, the start of project gnomepocalypse!
Project Photo(s):

Sorry, I will get the February prompts up after work tomorrow… Today got away from me!

7 Likes

@gozer Grape sherbet sounds interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. I’d love to try it! Your Venkman feltie is wonderful. I love the details you were able to get. :hearts:

@ezrib Welcome back! Your snowflakes are so uniform and gorgeous! Did you start the crocheted flakes? Your paper flakes are so pretty and festive. I love seeing them hanging in the window.

@megwell Your woven potholder is so colorful and pretty. I have a Martha Stewart loom I haven’t used in ages. I want to pull it out now and make something on it.

@Lynx Your cards are always so pretty, and the bra cards are hilarious. Your bird garland is amazing! I love all of the work you put into each of the birds. Your watercolor is amazing!

@roler All of the ATCs you’ve been making lately are so bright and fun. I love your art style.

@Tanath Welcome back! Your pendant is gorgeous, and I for one would be happy with a blizzard of one snowflake. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@craftADDchick I look forward to seeing what you use your spin art for in the future! They are pretty as-is. I like the colors you chose for your quilt square.

@Smeddley Your gnome is so cute! I love the greens in the hat.

2 Likes

New prompts are up! It’s all about the three R’s!

3 Likes

Prompt: Battle: Reduce
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Pink and White Stash Busting Gordana Crochet Lace Scarf
Brief Description: It was time for me to finally REDUCE the untouched yarn stash in my garage, so I made this scarf.
Project Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt: February - Geothermal
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Dinosaur Fridge Magnets
Project Link: Dinosaur Fridge Magnets
Brief Description: The magnets are inside of these cute little dino felt squares. I made these in anticipation of the Dino swap. I can’t wait for it to start! Signups are going on now. :t_rex: :sauropod:
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

thank you, I don’t have a pattern to share. I saw a picture of something similar and “winged it” while trying to copy. None are exactly the same. I really should have written it down though. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

**Prompt: February Biomas
**Team: Knotty by Nature
**Project Name: Cilantro Pesto
**Project Link:
**Project Description: We had lots of cilantro to use up so I made us an allium free cilantro pesto. We love it so much! So far we’ve had it on chips, pizza, pasta, gnocchi, tacos, avocado toast, I see a lot more batches in our future.
**Project Photo(s):

**Prompt: January Snow Squall
**Team: Knotty by Nature
**Project Name: Shakshuka TexMex style
**Project Link:
**Brief Description: We had a winter warning day with ice & snow coming. So on the fly I made a big batch of Shakshuka for all of us stuck at home. So Good!
**Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Ooh, that sounds yummy! I love cilantro so much!

1 Like