CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2021

Prompt: January: Biomass
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: Operation Use Up Yarn Scarf 2
Brief Description: This used to be yarn I had no desire to work with. Now it’s a cozy and warm scarf!
Project Photo:

4 Likes

Prompt: Zap 1
Team: Bits & Bobs
Project Name: Leftovers Burritodilla
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Me: I always put way too much in wraps. What if this time I made it a quesadilla so it won’t be as stuffed?
Project Photo(s): Also me:
20210205_184443
:woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

sure

Cilantro Pesto
-2 large bunches of cilantro
-2 inch piece of parmesan
-olive oil (anywhere from 1/4-1/2 cup)
-juice of 1/2 a lemon
-shake or 2 of red pepper flakes

• handful of nuts/seeds (this time I used pistachios but you could use walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc)
    -dash of safe dijon (we like maille)
    -salt & pepper to taste

whir that all in a blender or food processor until quite smooth adding more oil if needed

My hubby has an allium allergy (onions, garlic, leeks, etc.) so instead of the dijon you could absolutely use garlic.

3 Likes

I’m definitely going to try this. I love cilantro, and appreciate that you listed some nut alternatives (tree nut allergy, here!). Thanks for sharing your recipe!

1 Like

This isn’t overstuffed! Looks perfect. And now I know what I want for dinner tomorrow. Mmmm

Prompt: February: Solar
Project Name:Operation Use Up Yarn Scarf 3 - Chunky Rainbow
Brief Description: There is yellow in this scarf and it will keep you warm.
Project Photo:

5 Likes

I know there are lots of colors in this, but the primary colors really pop. I love it!

1 Like

Prompt: February: Wind
Project Name: Operation Use Up Yarn Pumpkin Bear # 1
Brief Description: You can move his arms and legs up and down. This will be my first pumpkin bear in the pumpkin bear patch.
Project Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt: February - Reduce
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Bufflehead ATC
Project Link: Bufflehead ATC
Brief Description: I made this bufflehead ATC for a personal swap with thanate. And I did it entirely with things that were already in this room at my parents’ house when I moved back in! It’s on cardstock from dad’s stash under my old dresser, with the colored pencil set I had in high school!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Free Range # 1
Project: Operation Use Up Yarn - Woven Chunky Cowl
Brief Description: This is part of my Operation Use Up Yarn. I used my one skein of white yarn and a smaller ball of the contrasting color to make this. (Pattern for the cowl in the project link.)
Project Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt: February: Geothermal
Project Name: Operation Use Up Yarn -- C2C Lined Zipper Pouch
Brief Description: There is a pink liner sewn into the C2C zipper pouch. @storerboughtcreation I would like to offer this as my Raffle prize offering. It’s really big measuring about 13" long by 7" high. :yarn:
Project Photo:

6 Likes

**Prompt: January Sastrugi
**Team: Knotty by Nature
**Project Name: Love Lotto Tickets
**Project Link: Love Lottery & Date Night Lotto Cards
**Brief Description: For vday I made my hubby some scratch off Lotto tickets with parallel lines of scratch circles.
**Project Photo(s):

**Prompt: February battle- Reduce
**Team: Knotty by Nature
**Project Name: Date Lottery tickets
**Project Link: Love Lottery & Date Night Lotto Cards
**Brief Description: My son & his girlfriend have been bummed about their lack of fun & cheap date ideas especially with Covid restrictions. So I came up with some date ideas for them for home & away that are free & non consumer things.
**Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: February: Hydro
Project Name: Operation Use Up Yarn -- Maroon Scarf and Hat Set
Brief Description: Scarves can be found all around the world, some people consider them a necessary winter accessory, and they require water to be washed!
Project Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt Palace has been updated with a special Red Alert! Sound the klaxons! Flashing light warning!

SPECIAL BONUS RAFFLE TICKET OPPORTUNITY!
Random Acts of Kindness - if you make and donate an item to charity, please note it when you post the project for an extra FIVE (5) raffle tickets!

3 Likes

Prompt: Big Time # 1
Project: Operation Use Up Yarn -- Valentine's Day 10" Wreath
Brief Description: Continuing my Operation Use Up Yarn, I made this sickenly sweet Valentine’s Heart Wreath
Photo:

Prompt: Zap # 2
Project Name: Heart-o-Riffic Handmade Valentine Cards
Brief Description: All 5 of these actually took me more than 30 minutes, but since I only photographed 1 and I am sure my Operation Use Up Yarn will make longer projects, I’m just gonna use a Zap!
Project Photo:

5 Likes

thank you for this! I love garlic but over the past couple years I have developed an intolerance for it.

1 Like

Prompt: Research Project (1)
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project: art journal
project link Canson art journal
Brief Description: continuing on my art journaling journey
Photo:
many more pics in the link

Prompt: Big Time project - 2
Project: skinny art journal
project link Skinny art journal
Brief Description: smaller skinny art journal
Photo:
many more pics in the link

Prompt: Biomass
Project: Lettuce Be Friends valentine cards
project link Lettuce Be Friends
Brief Description: lettuce is green and edible!
Photo:

Prompt: geothermal
Project: instantpot butter chicken
Brief Description: i used heat to make this butter chicken.
Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt: January Firn
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Veggie Hammock
Project Link:
Brief Description: We recently bought a new house with a terrible kitchen. we plan to remodel in 5 years, until then I need to be creative. I needed veggie storage. So I made a hammock with alternating square knots. I tried to take a picture under the cabinet I’m using it, but it was too dark. I have it hung with big cup hooks & it works great. (better than in the photo)
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Prompt: Big Time 1
Team: Bits & Bobs
Project Name: Exchange Valentines
Project Link: Leslie Knope-Inspired Valentines (Or Lettuce Craft, You Beautiful, Talented, Brilliant, Powerful Musk Ox)
Brief Description: For the Handmade Valentine Card Exchange, I created some Parks & Rec inspired cards. This included cutting out and folding the cards from cardstock, making masterboards and cutting them into hearts, assembling the cards, adding the sentiments, and making some calendar page envelopes to send them in. (I’m counting all of these elements toward the time requirement for the Big Time.)
Project Photo(s): Here’s a shot of the final cards; I can add photos of the masterboards and envelopes if required.
20210214_181900

4 Likes

Prompt: Research project #1 (RAK ticket bonus)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Charity blankets
Project Link: Charity blankets
Brief Description: I, along with some of the other ladies in my church, made these blankets as part of packages that are going to moms who have recently lost their infants. Some of the babies will be buried in these blankets. It’s very sad, but hopefully, they will feel some compassion from us. I made these 20 blankets. I think there were about 80 made in all.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes