CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2022

Prompt: January - Reading in the Tub
Team: Running w Scissors
Project Name: Watercolor landscape
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points) *
Brief Description: I am learning watercolors and they are really hard. I picked a watercolor landscape theme for the ATC swap and had the hardest time. I made four of them actually. This was my last attempt. It looks much better in a picture than it does in real life.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Watercolor is hard, and trees look easier than they seem (Iā€™m doing a tree study today). Iā€™m impressed you tried so hard for my atc. Thank you.

5 Likes

Prompt: January - Rubber Duckie
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Release the Quacken!
Project Link: Release the Quacken!
Brief Description: Thanks to @Smeddley for sending me this chart over six years ago. I am glad I finally got it stitched up! I love it. I went with Rubber Duckie, because, wellā€¦ Itā€™s a rubber duck!
Project Photo(s)

10 Likes

Photo Dump! Iā€™ve had a bunch of snow days, so Iā€™ve been busy!

Prompt: Rubber Ducky
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Abstract Watercolor
Brief Description: Thereā€™s yellow and some small circles! Turned this into mini envelopes!
Project Photo:

Prompt: Bubbles
Project Name: Unloved masterboard into a collection of loveable magnets
Brief Description: I created a masterboard I didnā€™t love and it turned into almost 20 round magnets (and some envelopes!)
Project Photo:

Prompt: Scrub-A-Dub
Project Name: Watercolor Tree Study
Brief Description: A pretty big stretch, but trees can be scratchy, and I used watercolor to paint.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Reading In the Tub
Project Name: Netflixā€™s Rebecca and Watercolor
Brief Description: Another pretty big stretch, but I watched Netflxā€™s movie of one of my favorite books, Rebecca. Turned this into mini envelopes!
Project Photo:

Prompt: Singing in the Shower
Project Name: 4x6 Hand Carved Floral Block
Brief Description: Iā€™m still practicing at hand-carving stamps, and when I use speedball ink and my brayer, sometimes it is squeeky!
Project Photo:

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name:Unloved Masterboard into Mini Envelopes
Brief Description: Mini Envelopes made from an unloved masterboard
Project Photo:

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Scrappy Watercolor Magnets
Brief Description: I used leftover scraps from watercolor turned mini envelopes to make this set of magnets (different masterboard from previous post)
Project Photo:

Prompt: Zap 3
Project Name: Scrappy Watercolor Earring and Necklace Set
Brief Description: I used leftover watercolor scraps, a crafting bottlecap, and metal stamping blanks to make this jewelry set.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Metallic Galactic Watercolor Mini Envelopes
Brief Description: I was practicing with my watercolors and made this cool masterboard I turned into min envelopes
Project Photo:

Prompt: Free Range 2
Project Name: Watercolor Eggs
Brief Description: I painted these fun watercolor eggs for the atc swap.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Free Range 3
Project Name:A New Assemblage
Brief Description: I used doodads from around my house to make this new 4x6 assemblage piece.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: Animal Crossing Painting
Brief Description: A fun, bright and bold painting of Julian and Tia for @storerboughtcreation in the Winter Games Swap! 11x14.
Project Photo:

9 Likes

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Copic Drawing
Brief Description: More markers. Is it possible Iā€™m getting worse with practice?

Project Photo(s):

Brief Description: This one I did twice, and yes, yes, I think I AM getting worse! :rofl:

Project Photo(s):

Brief Description: Take 2. I need a break; Iā€™m getting disenchanted. Luckily, Iā€™ll have some non-marker projects to share soon!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Scrub-a-dub
Project Name: Razor and Ink
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: My partner was using a new technique, drawing with a razor and ink, and encouraged me to try it, too. This was the outcome. A razor is definitely scratchy and can be used to clean. I ā€œshadedā€ with ink-tinted glue. I didnā€™t know what I was doing at all, and didnā€™t plan it beforehandā€¦itā€™s the journey that mattered, not the destination. :grin:

Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Jumping back into the games, I really want to be more active and creative. So far this month most of what I made is food :woman_cook:

Prompt: January Battle - Bath
Project Name: Soup with a chance of meatballs
Project Link: Soup with meatballs
Brief Description:
Cold and rainy weather just asks for soup, so I made some. Soup is warm liquid in a container, sort of like a tiny bath (although I donā€™t recommend actually bathing in it). Also, like a bath, it helps to warm and comfort.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

I finally updated the team roster and tracking checklists. I will post the tracking update tomorrow. I feel like Iā€™ve been slacking on things this month. I am still healing but doing much better, Iā€™m just so darned tired all the time. Iā€™ll try to stay on top of tracking better from here on out. :grin:

7 Likes

No worries @storerboughtcreation we just want you to heal and get better. Thank you for thinking of us. We have been thinking about you too.

@LovelyMiss that razor drawing sounds terrifying! LOL!

7 Likes

Prompt: January Battle - Shower
Team: Knotty
Project Name: Granny is silently judging your choices
Brief Description: I was whining to my husband that I had nothing to submit because all of my projects are large (sad I missed the swap) and he reminded me that I have been working on bits of a project to be that are EASILY longer than 30 minutes. I am testing markers & designs for a future bathroom project. this is my granny drawing on my bathroom wall- sheā€™s politely judging how much tp youā€™re taking.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Lol! It was actually fun! I expected it might cut through the paper, but it didnā€™t. It was messy, though, especially when the blade fell into the ink jar, haha. I got wise and put on gloves!

3 Likes

@LovelyMiss i donā€™t think you are getting worse! Loving the Archie vibe!

3 Likes

Prompt: January Battle - Shower
Team: RWS
Project Name: Minimalist sketch
Project Link:
Brief Description: A cute kiddo in the rain. Made me remember puddle jumping! (And this may not look like 20 minutes but I assure you- lots of erasing and re-drawing was done. My artistic skills are still fledgling!)
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: January Battle- Bath
Project Name: From Bath Towels to Bath Mats
Project Link: From Bath Towels to Bath Mats

Brief Description: I turned two large, never used, bath towels into two bath mats that I can easily wash in my washing machine. It doesnā€™t look like much, but trying to wrangle the towels through my little machine was a challenge. I broke a needle and then jammed my machine in the process.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Vinyl Masks for a Thank You Banner
Project Link: n/a

Brief Description: With all of the contact tracing required at school, our school nurse has been working very long days (staying at school until 7 pm, then continuing to work at home). To show our appreciation for all sheā€™s been doing to keep our building safe, the principal picked up a blank banner. One of my co-workers used her Cricut to cut out letters that said ā€œWe canā€™t mask our appreciation!ā€ And the both of us cut out a bunch of adhesive vinyl masks that we stuck onto the banner. Staff members were invited to write a message on the masks (they had about a 3" X 2" area to write in), and the banner (plus a bouquet of flowers and a trio of restaurant gift cards) was presented to her at the staff meeting last week. Sheā€™s is a fantastic person, and weā€™re lucky to have her as our nurse! I cut out 32 masks in total, and because I used adhesive vinyl notebook covers from the dollar store, it only cost me $1. I donā€™t have a photo of the completed banner because I wasnā€™t there when it was presented (I was in another meeting).

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

@ezrib drawing on the walls? Mustnā€™t show the kids :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Granny looks kind of sweet to me, I guess sheā€™s ok with my TP usage.
@Bunny1kenobi cute kid :slight_smile: I get you on the time effort of it, getting things just right takes time.
@craftADDchick smart use for things you already have, I hope your machine doesnā€™t hold a grudge.
The masks are a great idea for the banner.

I wonder if this month I will actually manage to create some non-food things. I did attack the living room and kitchen in the past week, so they are a bit more organized now. Maybe that will give me a bit more headspace to craft.

5 Likes

If you want to do a private swap, send me a message and we can figure something out! :smiley:

2 Likes

SO SORRY I was late with the updated prompts, we have February prompts up now!!!

5 Likes

I dropped the ball for January prompt. Ugh

2 Likes

You can craft any of the January prompts until the end of the season, except for the January battle. The battle is the only time sensitive prompt, so if you have something that will fit any of the other prompts (or any of the February prompts for that matter), post away! :smiley:

2 Likes

Ah okay, thanks. I am still going to make my January item and post it.

1 Like

I love the February prompts!!! I love the number 3, I am born in March the 3rd month and have 3 kids.

4 Likes