CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2022

Prompt: January - reading in the tub
Team: RWS
Project Name: A skirt for ME!
Project Link: I made myself a skirt!
Brief Description: I had to do a lot of adjustments while making this… and once you cut fabric, there’s no going back…
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: February - Bingo!
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Grogu
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I was emotionally done with markers, and then I had an overwhelming urge to do a picture of Grogu/Baby Yoda. I used a reference pic to freehand, and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out…it was fun to do some shading and less “precision” work than the Archie characters required.

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Awwww… he’s adorable! I think this may be my favorite!

1 Like

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Brains
Brief Description: I needed a few very specific brain diagrams for work. None of the ones I could find were quite right for my purposes. So I sketched some out with pencil, lined with marker, and scanned them. I’m turning them into coloring sheets with labels and descriptions of what each part does. A weird and surprisingly fun project, that actually turned out pretty well!

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Thanks, Bunny! He’s my favorite, too! :blush:

Prompt: January- Rubber Duckie (you’re the one!)
Project Name: Tiny Triceratops Trio
Project Link: Tiny Triceratops Trio
Brief Description: I came across this pattern: Triceratops Amigurumi – Club Crochet and they were so darn adorable, I had to make one! Plus, the triceratops is my favorite dinosaur (because everyone should have a favorite dinosaur, right?). I followed along with the video to make the first one (the aqua one) and then, because they were so quick to make (and so freakin’ CUTE!!), I made 2 more. The second two (the orange and the gold… which is a shade of yellow) together took me only a little longer than the first one. I would have made more but I didn’t have any more of the small eyes (and attaching the eyes was the hardest part of this whole pattern).

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Woah! Those brains are amazing!!

And the triceratops are adorable!

1 Like

@Lynx Beautiful art! I love the hummingbirds! What a cool technique! Great use of the masterboard, too, those magnets look pretty. I’ve been intrigued by stamp carving for a long time! I hope you’ll share more! That assemblage art is awesome, too! Love it!

@roler EEek! Such cute ATCs! The expression the walrus has is perfect!

@Smeddley That pocket mouse is so adorable! A lucky friend you have!

@gozer I am in AWE of your skill! That Leia portrait is amazing. The gold is a beautiful element. And thewatercolors, too. Seriously! Also, those ATCs are great!

@storerboughtcreation That diamond art is adorable! Hopefully your wrists survived! :laughing: I remember that Release the Quacken project! Yours looks great!

@Bunny1kenobi Loving all the ATCs! They’re all so different, fun, and nice! Your sketch turned out great! Super cute! (And I hear you on the time intensity…half my drawing time is erasing :upside_down_face: ) Beautiful skirt, too! It looks like a perfect fit!

@megwell Those note cards are great! What a fun idea!

@Tanath Great to see you, again! That soup looks delicious! It’s about 2 degrees Fahrenheit here, so it really sounds extra good!

@ezrib I look forward to seeing more of your bathroom! Granny is adorable!

@craftADDchick That’s such a good idea for a bath mat! I might have to do that. That banner is such a sweet surprise, and good tip on the notebook covers from the dollar store! Wouldn’t have thought of that! And OMG, those dinos! The cutest!

5 Likes

Prompt: January – Scrub-a-Dub
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Shark pouch
Project Link: Shark Zippered Pouch
Brief Description: I decided on the shark for this prompt because it is scrappy and the edges are done with pinking shears. Also, it helps keep things clean and organized.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Anagram
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Monster High Wig
Project Link: First Monster High doll wig
Brief Description: I had to glue lines and lines of hair weft to create this. It looked like a jumbled mess, but in the end, it worked! Check the link to see the before and after.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

The shark is so fun!

And that wig is perfect on her.

1 Like

That shark pouch is fintastic! :smiley: Is it your own design?

3 Likes

No, I added the link to the pattern in the post and I tagged you. If you try it, best of luck. Let me know if it was as jacked up as I thought it was. :joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

Prompt: February Battle - Numbers Game
Team: Running w Scissors
Project Name: Elephant Pin Cushion
Project Link: Elephant Pin Cushion
Brief Description: Feel like I am going dark here, but I think the survival of elephants is a numbers game at this point. We need more for the species to survive. This pin cushion was made for the Box of Color swap.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

@LovelyMiss I think your Grogu is adorable. What paper are you using? I think you are doing great, but if you keep getting frustrated you can try different papers to get different results. They make a HUGE difference.

1 Like

@gozer Thank you for the great tip! I am using Strathmore Marker Paper. I just got a small pack of Yupo paper to try. Do you have any recommendations or favorites? I like the thickness of the Strathmore paper…the other marker papers I have looked at are so thin…but maybe that’s okay?

1 Like

My all time favorite is this:

It is MUCH thicker, but I absolutely love it. I also have the Copic paper. It’s good, but I love the Canson. It can take so saturation.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m going to order some to try! Can’t wait!

1 Like

Prompt: February Battle - Word Games
Project Name: Valentines
Brief Description: I’ve had a little Valentine craft kit in my stash for a while. I decided to put them together! I also genuinely enjoy both word and number games, but since these items have words, I went with that.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Anagrams
Project Name: Peace on a string
Brief Description: I really like the kid’s craft kits that are sold at craft stores around holidays. I think they’re cute and fun and low stress projects. I picked up several winter/Christmas ones on clearance. Slightly out of season, but a head start on the holidays! These kept getting very tangled up and jumbled. I actually had to spend several minutes getting them sorted and laid out just to take a photo. This one took a surprisingly long time, too. I had to make all of the tassels by hand! Another tangly story.

Project Photo(s):

peace string

Prompt: February - Word Search
Project Name: Ornaments on a string
Brief Description: Another kit. These have stuffing hidden inside!

Project Photo(s):

ornament string

Prompt: February - Crossword Puzzles
Project Name: Piñata Tree
Brief Description: And another kit. The base of this is a tree-shaped box.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: A Dozen Ornaments
Brief Description: This was a fun kit. It had 12 different ornaments. I made one or two each day for the past weekish. It was also annoying…a lot of the pieces weren’t pre-cut, which one typically expects in these types of kits! It was a great deal at like $3 though, so I didn’t complain too much. :laughing:

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Cloche Hat
Brief Description: This is the hat I made for Bunny1kenobi in the Nerd Games Swap! This was the fourth attempt, like I mentioned in the swap thread. The first one I burned with an iron. That has never happened to me before. I think I must have accidentally bumped the dial, because it was fine the whole time…until it wasn’t. The second one came out confusingly small, even though it was the same material and pattern. The third one, I moved to a different pattern and fabric because I was getting a tad frustrated…and it was also a mess, lol. This one, though! I love it! I made the flower with a cool ribbon I found, and the leaves I also cut from ribbon and singed the edges. Overall, I’m glad the others didn’t work, because I like this one so much. It’s the Elsewhen Millinery Isabelle pattern, if anyone is curious.

Project Photo(s):

hat1

8 Likes

I love the hat!!!

All the kid kits look fun!

If you’re not sure what to do with it, next time we swap, if you wanna throw the too-small cloche in the bag, it might look adorable on my granddaughter. Or my mom. She has a ridiculously tiny head.

4 Likes

Oh, great idea! It’s sitting on my stack of half-finished projects. I stopped when I realized it was way too small. I’ll go back to it!

3 Likes