CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2022

Prompt: January Battle - Bath
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Rainbow Space Walrus ATC
Project Link: Walruses, monsters, and maps, oh my!
Brief Description: I’m going with “bath” for this one because I feel like walruses are quite often in a bath of sorts… although this space walrus might occasionally bathe in meteor showers!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Bubbles
Project Name: Message Monster ATC
Brief Description: The background for this (a masterboard from @Reinikka!) has bubble-like patterns on it, and I’m sure this monster would blow happy bubbles.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Reading in the Tub
Project Name: Message Monster ATC #2
Brief Description: The background for this is a masterboard that I made, and contains words. Also, this is a “message” monster, so he gets attached to letters full of words to be read!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Singing in the Shower
Project Name: USJ ATC
Brief Description: This is a map of Universal Studios Japan, and it is always FULL of music!!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Scrub-a-Dub
Project Name: Opossumsaurus ATC
Brief Description: Opossumsaurus’s don’t tend to be the cleanest of beasts, but don’t bring that up around one; they tend to get rather prickly about the subject!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: January - Bubbles
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Minnie diamond art
Project Link:
Brief Description: Mr SBC started this for our niece. Grumpy Frog is obsessed with Minnie. He got about 3/4 of the black done, then I finished the rest. This is the first thing I was motivated to craft since I got out of the hospital. I’ve been sleeping a lot still, and I get exhausted so easily.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: January - Rubber Duckie
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Copic Drawing
Brief Description: I’m still going and trying to find my style and footing. I have been practicing with some Archie Comics characters. These are small drawings, the paper is 6"x8". I’m intimated to go bigger!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Bubbles!
Brief Description: Does it count as usually being seen in a group if the character is part of Josie and the Pussycats, one of the rockin-est music groups in comics? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :upside_down_face:

Project Photo(s):

Brief Description: Midge from Archie Comics - which are a fun thing to read!

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Gotta get the battle in before I forget…
Prompt: Shower (January Battle)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Note Cards
Project Link: New Happy Mail and Note Cards
Brief Description: Shower, because Psycho :wink:
Project Photo(s)

9 Likes

Team: Running w Scissors
Project Name: Watercolor landscape
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points) *
Brief Description: I am learning watercolors and they are really hard. I picked a watercolor landscape theme for the ATC swap and had the hardest time. I made four of them actually. This was my last attempt. It looks much better in a picture than it does in real life.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Watercolor is hard, and trees look easier than they seem (I’m doing a tree study today). I’m impressed you tried so hard for my atc. Thank you.

5 Likes

Prompt: January - Rubber Duckie
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Release the Quacken!
Project Link: Release the Quacken!
Brief Description: Thanks to @Smeddley for sending me this chart over six years ago. I am glad I finally got it stitched up! I love it. I went with Rubber Duckie, because, well… It’s a rubber duck!
Project Photo(s)

10 Likes

Photo Dump! I’ve had a bunch of snow days, so I’ve been busy!

Prompt: Rubber Ducky
Project Name: Abstract Watercolor
Brief Description: There’s yellow and some small circles! Turned this into mini envelopes!
Project Photo:

Prompt: Bubbles
Project Name: Unloved masterboard into a collection of loveable magnets
Brief Description: I created a masterboard I didn’t love and it turned into almost 20 round magnets (and some envelopes!)
Project Photo:

Prompt: Scrub-A-Dub
Project Name: Watercolor Tree Study
Brief Description: A pretty big stretch, but trees can be scratchy, and I used watercolor to paint.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Reading In the Tub
Project Name: Netflix’s Rebecca and Watercolor
Brief Description: Another pretty big stretch, but I watched Netflx’s movie of one of my favorite books, Rebecca. Turned this into mini envelopes!
Project Photo:

Prompt: Singing in the Shower
Project Name: 4x6 Hand Carved Floral Block
Brief Description: I’m still practicing at hand-carving stamps, and when I use speedball ink and my brayer, sometimes it is squeeky!
Project Photo:

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name:Unloved Masterboard into Mini Envelopes
Brief Description: Mini Envelopes made from an unloved masterboard
Project Photo:

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Scrappy Watercolor Magnets
Brief Description: I used leftover scraps from watercolor turned mini envelopes to make this set of magnets (different masterboard from previous post)
Project Photo:

Prompt: Zap 3
Project Name: Scrappy Watercolor Earring and Necklace Set
Brief Description: I used leftover watercolor scraps, a crafting bottlecap, and metal stamping blanks to make this jewelry set.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Metallic Galactic Watercolor Mini Envelopes
Brief Description: I was practicing with my watercolors and made this cool masterboard I turned into min envelopes
Project Photo:

Prompt: Free Range 2
Project Name: Watercolor Eggs
Brief Description: I painted these fun watercolor eggs for the atc swap.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Free Range 3
Project Name:A New Assemblage
Brief Description: I used doodads from around my house to make this new 4x6 assemblage piece.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: Animal Crossing Painting
Brief Description: A fun, bright and bold painting of Julian and Tia for @storerboughtcreation in the Winter Games Swap! 11x14.
Project Photo:

9 Likes

Prompt: Free Range
Brief Description: More markers. Is it possible I’m getting worse with practice?

Project Photo(s):

Brief Description: This one I did twice, and yes, yes, I think I AM getting worse! :rofl:

Project Photo(s):

Brief Description: Take 2. I need a break; I’m getting disenchanted. Luckily, I’ll have some non-marker projects to share soon!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Scrub-a-dub
Project Name: Razor and Ink
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: My partner was using a new technique, drawing with a razor and ink, and encouraged me to try it, too. This was the outcome. A razor is definitely scratchy and can be used to clean. I “shaded” with ink-tinted glue. I didn’t know what I was doing at all, and didn’t plan it beforehand…it’s the journey that mattered, not the destination. :grin:

Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Jumping back into the games, I really want to be more active and creative. So far this month most of what I made is food :woman_cook:

Prompt: January Battle - Bath
Project Name: Soup with a chance of meatballs
Project Link: Soup with meatballs
Brief Description:
Cold and rainy weather just asks for soup, so I made some. Soup is warm liquid in a container, sort of like a tiny bath (although I don’t recommend actually bathing in it). Also, like a bath, it helps to warm and comfort.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

I finally updated the team roster and tracking checklists. I will post the tracking update tomorrow. I feel like I’ve been slacking on things this month. I am still healing but doing much better, I’m just so darned tired all the time. I’ll try to stay on top of tracking better from here on out. :grin:

7 Likes

No worries @storerboughtcreation we just want you to heal and get better. Thank you for thinking of us. We have been thinking about you too.

@LovelyMiss that razor drawing sounds terrifying! LOL!

7 Likes

Prompt: January Battle - Shower
Team: Knotty
Project Name: Granny is silently judging your choices
Brief Description: I was whining to my husband that I had nothing to submit because all of my projects are large (sad I missed the swap) and he reminded me that I have been working on bits of a project to be that are EASILY longer than 30 minutes. I am testing markers & designs for a future bathroom project. this is my granny drawing on my bathroom wall- she’s politely judging how much tp you’re taking.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Lol! It was actually fun! I expected it might cut through the paper, but it didn’t. It was messy, though, especially when the blade fell into the ink jar, haha. I got wise and put on gloves!

3 Likes

@LovelyMiss i don’t think you are getting worse! Loving the Archie vibe!

3 Likes

Prompt: January Battle - Shower
Team: RWS
Project Name: Minimalist sketch
Project Link:
Brief Description: A cute kiddo in the rain. Made me remember puddle jumping! (And this may not look like 20 minutes but I assure you- lots of erasing and re-drawing was done. My artistic skills are still fledgling!)
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: January Battle- Bath
Project Name: From Bath Towels to Bath Mats
Project Link: From Bath Towels to Bath Mats

Brief Description: I turned two large, never used, bath towels into two bath mats that I can easily wash in my washing machine. It doesn’t look like much, but trying to wrangle the towels through my little machine was a challenge. I broke a needle and then jammed my machine in the process.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Vinyl Masks for a Thank You Banner
Project Link: n/a

Brief Description: With all of the contact tracing required at school, our school nurse has been working very long days (staying at school until 7 pm, then continuing to work at home). To show our appreciation for all she’s been doing to keep our building safe, the principal picked up a blank banner. One of my co-workers used her Cricut to cut out letters that said “We can’t mask our appreciation!” And the both of us cut out a bunch of adhesive vinyl masks that we stuck onto the banner. Staff members were invited to write a message on the masks (they had about a 3" X 2" area to write in), and the banner (plus a bouquet of flowers and a trio of restaurant gift cards) was presented to her at the staff meeting last week. She’s is a fantastic person, and we’re lucky to have her as our nurse! I cut out 32 masks in total, and because I used adhesive vinyl notebook covers from the dollar store, it only cost me $1. I don’t have a photo of the completed banner because I wasn’t there when it was presented (I was in another meeting).

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

@ezrib drawing on the walls? Mustn’t show the kids :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Granny looks kind of sweet to me, I guess she’s ok with my TP usage.
@Bunny1kenobi cute kid :slight_smile: I get you on the time effort of it, getting things just right takes time.
@craftADDchick smart use for things you already have, I hope your machine doesn’t hold a grudge.
The masks are a great idea for the banner.

I wonder if this month I will actually manage to create some non-food things. I did attack the living room and kitchen in the past week, so they are a bit more organized now. Maybe that will give me a bit more headspace to craft.

5 Likes

If you want to do a private swap, send me a message and we can figure something out! :smiley:

2 Likes

SO SORRY I was late with the updated prompts, we have February prompts up now!!!

5 Likes