CLOSED - Nerd Games - Winter 2023

Prompt: February- Blue
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: Charger of Many Colors
Project Link: Charger of many colors
Brief Description: This is mostly blue, and the other colors involved make it look striped. Sort of.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March- If Pets Had Thumbs
Project Name: Derp ATC
Project Link: Derp- a family ATC
Brief Description: This card is definitely inspired by a pet. Follow the link for the story- but a special warning to @storerboughtcreation it may make you shed a tear or two. I know I did.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Lila!!! You did such an amazing drawing. I imagine this is what she looked like when she was younger. Idk when she lost all of her teeth, but I can’t imagine her without her tongue hanging out at any age. It was part of her personality. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

So true! And her little back-scratch dance. Funny little thing!

2 Likes

I love the pop of the green and orange here.

1 Like

Prompt: March Battle - Complimentary
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Letters
Project Link:
Brief Description: There’s an amazing program/charity called the Women’s Prison Book Project that I’ve done some things with before. They needed volunteers to write letters to prisoners for Valentine’s day. We got stacks of coloring pages and a mini script (with some flexibility) to write on the back. Prisons are very limiting. You have to write in blue or black ink only. You can’t add stickers or any other embellishments. So, I tried to jazz them up a bit with some doodles and such. (I’m taking Complimentary out of the context here :sweat_smile: .) If I had any Big Times left, this one would have definitely qualified!

By the way - the project has a specific need for soft-cover crochet and craft books if you have any you want to de-stash and are able to ship them!

Project Photo(s):

wpbp

Prompt: March - If Pets Had Thumbs Day
Project Name: Scones
Project Link:
Brief Description: Well, these raspberry scones weren’t necessarily supposed to be this brown, but it made them eligible for this prompt, so… :upside_down_face: :joy:

Project Photo(s):

scones 2

Prompt: March - Get Over it Day
Project Name: Spaghetti
Project Link:
Brief Description: This solved the problem of hunger for several people, lol! Sauce from scratch.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Plant a Flower Day
Project Name: Alfredo Pasta
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made some fresh broccoli Alfredo. The sauce was from scratch and pretty tasty. Broccoli is green, and I suppose it’s polka-dotted throughout the pasta!

Project Photo(s):

alfredo pasta - Copy

Prompt: March - International Waffle Day
Project Name: Breakfast with Hashbrowns
Project Link:
Brief Description: I also made some hashbrowns from scratch! I didn’t realize how easy it would be! Took a bit to grate a few potatoes (and I wish I had a larger gauge grate), but yum!

Project Photo(s):

hashbrowns - Copy

Prompt: March - Weed Appreciation Day
Project Name: Lard
Project Link:
Brief Description: I rendered my own lard! I am obsessed, though I know it’s not for everyone. I got pasture-raised leaf fat from my local, sustainable, organic CSA.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Dinner
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve been struggling for crafty-crafty time, but I have been cooking a lot, so bear with me! :smiley: Here’s roasted leeks, homemade mashed potatoes, and steak for dinner.

Project Photo(s):

dinner 5 - Copy - Copy

Project Name: Dinner 2
Project Link:
Brief Description: Sloppy Joes, also from scratch. Sorry the picture looks kinda weird - they were steaming hot!

Project Photo(s):

sloppy joes - Copy

Project Name: Dinner 3
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made some fancy grilled onion burgers.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Dinner 4
Project Link:
Brief Description: My partner got me the Bob’s Burgers cook book as a gift. I tried out one of the recipes that we had the ingredients for, and it was delicious! It was the “Bet it All on Black Garlic” burger with mozzarella and garlic Sriracha mayo.

Project Photo(s):

bobs burgers - Copy

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Craft Workshop Day
Project Link:
Brief Description: I had a request to put together a craft day to teach some peeps how to make candles and room spray. I, unfortunately, was so busy I did not get good photos! But I spent a couple of weeks organizing it, and the actual day was about seven hours. I had to calculate, choose, and order all the supplies, write up and create printed instruction sheets, prep all the containers, wicks, and wax (and walk every individual through everything on the day of so many times, lol). It was fun! It resulted in about ~60 finished candles (using 20 different scents) and 10 bottles of essential oil room spray. Teaching others the science of candle making was pretty cool!

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

The food all looks super yummy! And the womens prison cards- love that!

Yay for instructions for candles and spray!!

2 Likes

Prompt: Weed Appreciation Day (March)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: ATCoin monsters
Project Link: More ATCoin Monsters – Monster Jam 2023
Brief Description: Definitely only a mother could love some of these faces.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

These monster coins are hysterical!

2 Likes

Prompt: March battle- complimentary
Project Name: Boho earrings
Project Link: Boho Leaf earrings- Spring Is In the Air Challenge Entry
Brief Description: I think the blue and green complement each other quite nicely.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Your slacker of a tracker has finally caught up on tracking. I will wait to post a tracking update until the end of the month, but your checklists should be up to date :blush:

Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Buffalo Plaid Mosaic Blanket
Project Link: Buffalo Plaid Mosaic Blanket
Brief Description: I spent the last several weeks designing this blanket and crocheting it. I released the pattern late last night on Ravelry. I love buffalo plaid, and this blanket was a lot of fun to work on. I want to make more in different colors!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I truly, truly love this blanket. I wish I had the skills to make one like it.

2 Likes

:seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face:

HEY EV-ERY-BODY! It’s time to vote in the Spring Is In The Air Challenge! Get on over there before the poll closes on March 27, 2023!

I made these for my dad. There’s a pattern if you follow the link. I took this by where we feed Frankenstein his cat food, and I am seeing that I really need to clean my door off. :crazy_face:

Prompt: January - Be Happier
Project Name: Yellow door stop
Project Link: Neon door stoppers
Brief Description: It’s bright yellow.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Full
Project Name: Pink door stop
Brief Description: It’s bright. All the better to not stub your toe on
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Orange door stop
Brief Description: I helped my dad by making these door stops so three of the doors in his house would stop drifting shut
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: Zap 1
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Dollhouse chimney redo
Project Link:
Brief Description: I didn’t like the color of my IKEA dollhouse chimney, so I painted it pink

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Hingepin decor
Project Link:
Brief Description: I have been admiring some hingepins with decorative finals and wanted some, I couldn’t find any reasonably priced so I am making my own decorations to pop on the hingepins, these are simple ones so far to test the idea

Prompt: Zap 3
Project Name: Water Keifer
Project Link:
Brief Description: I have been experimenting with making water keifer

Prompt: March Weed appreciation
Project Name: PTerry
Project Link:
Brief Description: Not everyone loves that we are drawing faces on our bathroom wall & it is on a green wall, but I love it!
How do you know if there is a pterodactyl in the bathroom?
You don’t, there pee is silent

Prompt: March Battle- Complimentary
Project Name: Crocheted crossbody/fanny pack
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this crossbody purse that can be adjusted to a waist bag. it is lined with complimentary bobby pin fabric, with pockets and a key hanger

Prompt: February New Moon
Project Name: Chicken potholder
Project Link:
Brief Description: in my last house I had a bunch of my great grandma’s old potholders hanging on the wall. we lost them in a fire… fast forward & I really miss those potholders so I am starting a large project to make a bunch similar (& buy some vintage if I find some)

Prompt: Waxing Moon
Project Name: Egg Potholder
Project Link:
Brief Description: Continuing with my potholder project I made an egg one which os larger than a traditional egg

4 Likes

Prompt: February - Waning
Project Name: Small bunting
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for the Easter Egg swap. It had to fit into one of those plastic Easter eggs, so yeah… it was smaller than usual.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - New
Project Name: Romantic Valentine
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for my honey for Valentine’s Day. It has some black in the heart for contrast.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Full
Project Name: Felt reading badge
Project Link:
Brief Description: This is definitely round.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Waffle Day
Project Name: Monster bookmark
Project Link:
Brief Description: This bookmark has a boxy shape.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Plant a flower
Project Name: Cross stitch bag
Project Link:
Brief Description: I cross stitched an embellishment on this bag, and it includes flowers.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Weed Appreciation
Project Name: Bigfoot diorama
Project Link:
Brief Description: This tiny diorama has a green background, and I suspect that Bigfoot has a face that only a mother could love. Or maybe a lovestruck lady Bigfoot.
Project Photo(s):

See below

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: Mothman diorama
Project Link:
Brief Description: Very small but fun to make!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #3
Project Name: UFO diorama
Project Link:
Brief Description: Cutting all these teeny pieces is time consuming.
Project Photo(s):

See above

Prompt: Free Range #4
Project Name: Woodland creature sleep mask
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’m making a bunch of these- be prepared to see more of them!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #5
Project Name: reversible blue sleep mask
Project Link:
Brief Description: Another sleep mask!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #6
Project Name: reversible polka dot sleep mask
Project Link:
Brief Description: Surprise! Another sleep mask!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: pretty keychain
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for the Easter Egg swap.
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Knitting badge
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for the Easter Egg swap. I know it doesn’t look like much but, here’s what happened:
-started knitting using paper clips for needles. Dropped a bunch of stitches and had to frog it.
-tried again and dropped more stitches and frogged again.
-tried again using thicker paper clips for needles. At this point, I realized I was knitting it incorrectly the whole time. Then I dropped more stitches and frogged again.
-bought tapestry needles. These did the trick! But knitting with embroidery floss is tricky coz the strands are meant to separate. I’m a slow knitter to start with, and embroidery floss that has been knit and frogged 3 times previously was … difficult.
-When knitting was complete, I cut the letters from purple vinyl, took about 30 minutes to weed because it was so small.
-applied the letters to the inside of the plastic that was going to cover the knitting. The purple looked awful so I peeled it all off and started over with black vinyl.
-After letters were applied I glued the plastic to a ring made of felt, then stitched around the edge of the badge. Then I added the pin to the back of the badge.
YIKES.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: Swap ATCs
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I made several more-intensive-than-usual ATCs for swaps this quarter.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap I Forget Which Number But I Should Still Have One Open
Project Name: Quickie ATCs
Brief Description: On the other hand, I also made some super simple ones to use up bits on my table, leftover gel medium, etc.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Be happier (January)
Project Name: Scrappy masterboard elements
Brief Description: As a stress buster this week, I stuck a bunch of stuff down and cut it up into ATC bases, etc.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Travel or get outside more (January)
Project Name: Smachel ATC
Brief Description: Made this blue monster for the Craft This In Your Style Craftalong.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: January - Be happier
Project Name: Bee Blood Drop 2
Brief Description: The second of the bee blood drops I made, it is yellow/striped!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - Travel or get outside more
Project Name: Blue Basketweave dishcloth
Brief Description: It’s a dishcloth. It is blue. I may have an entire tub of cotton yarn I’m trying to use up!
Project Photo(s): (On the right)

Prompt: January - Save money
Project Name: Turtle Art (lg)
Brief Description: This green guy is on paper! Fun fact, a friend’s son’s daycare had art sign-ups for the parents to draw movie characters for some event, she claimed a lack of artistic talent and asked me to do it for her!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Waxing
Project Name: Dog Art
Brief Description: Maybe a bit of a stretch, but the background is light grey and this book is TERRIBLE paper so I had to use waxed paper between pages to keep them from sticking together. It’s a little gratitude journal work gave us, and I decided to art/terrible haiku my way through it.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Waning
Project Name: Turtle Art (small)
Brief Description: This is a smaller version of the turtle art, it started off the whole “I’m going to do art in this tiny terrible notebook” project!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - New
Project Name: Goal Sheet Feb (L)
Brief Description: So backstory, I got first just one girl at work – now two – to buy into my crazy goal setting, and we’re making monthly goals and I get to make the goal sheets for them to check off. It’s a single color/black!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - If Pets Had Thumbs Day
Project Name: Owl Art
Brief Description: This fine feathery friend would make an… interesting pet…
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Crochet Dragonfly
Brief Description: This guy is striped/blue, just a random amigurumi I made with leftover yarn bits.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Plant a Flower Day
Project Name: Flowers Art
Brief Description: More tiny art! This time the flowers you get when your island gets a 5-start rating in Animal Crossing New Horizons, a game I have sunk WAY too many hours into… but in my defense, gardening in the game is a lot easier than gardening in real life!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - International Waffle Day
Project Name: Ecru Diamonds dishcloth
Brief Description: Another dishcloth, this one is beige/square!
Project Photo(s): (on the left)

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Ecru Eyelet dishcloth
Brief Description: Yup, another dishcloth!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 2
Project Name: Gnome Art
Brief Description: More tiny book art!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 3
Project Name: Shark Art
Brief Description: Even more tiny book art!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 4
Project Name: Goal Sheet Mar (L)
Brief Description: Another goal sheet, this one for March.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 5
Project Name: Goal Sheet Apr (L)
Brief Description: Another Goal sheet, this one for April.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 6
Project Name: Goal Sheet Apr (C)
Brief Description: One more final Goal sheet, this for our newest member for April!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: Sweater Repair
Brief Description: A coworker had a sweater where the pocket was coming off, it was crocheted on, I fixed it!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Water Tracking Sheet
Brief Description: A sheet I made to track my hydration for a challenge we had at work.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 3
Project Name: Whiteboard Art
Brief Description: Time for some spring art on my whiteboard at work!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Dying over that nighttime routine dog :laughing: .

2 Likes

Again, I don’t know what happened to March…but here’s a project I completed a few weeks ago and never posted because I kept forgetting to photograph them.

Prompt: Get Over it Day (Mar 9)
Project Name: Striped Fly Swatting Towels
Project Link: Fly Swatting Towels

Brief Description: When I visited some friends this summer, one of them was snapping a kitchen towel to kill flies. When his wife and I realized he was just grabbing any random kitchen towel, we were both grossed out. He replied that he was barely touching the flies, but we said there could still be fly guts on the towel and he needed to designate one specific towel. But, to make sure there was no confusion, I decided to make him a designated set of fly swatting towels! I think they’re pretty funny, and the red stripes are a bit of warning coloration. Hopefully, they make his wife feel better knowing that the rest of the kitchen towels will be fly-free!

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes