CLOSED - Nerd Games - Winter 2023

I love the idea of making something for him to keep around while he travels :hearts:

1 Like

I just wanted to give a quick update! I had my surgery today. I might not need the second one, so yay for that!

I gave the surgeon the crocheted kidney when I saw him. He was tickled pink when he saw it. He said it is genuinely the coolest gift he’s ever gotten, and is going to put it on a shelf in his office. He was going around to the surgical nurses, other surgeons, and anesthesiologists, bragging about his cool patient. A few even popped their heads in to tell me how awesome it was. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Hi-ho, Craft Nerds! There’s a new badge for the free-range makers!

Lettuce Craft has six distinct categories for crafting and some of our most adventurous crafters have journeyed onto all of these boards. They are our Crafty Chameleons!

If you have posted 3 or more projects to each of the crafting categories:
Art
Home & Garden
Fashion & Wearables
Fiber & Textiles
Food & Drink
Paper & Vinyl Crafts

Send a message to @ moderators along with the links to your projects to claim your badge and have it activated!

4 Likes

Prompt: Full (February)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: When you began art journal page
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Largely covered in white
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: Invoicing tracker
Brief Description: I have one client whose projects are longer-term, and I often lose track of where I am milestone-wise and end up invoicing most/all of the project at the end rather than as I go. So I whipped up a simple tracker to give me a visual cue of when I’m at a billable point.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: February- Blue
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Got Zilla? Shirts
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points)
Brief Description: I made this set of shirts for two of my 6th grade students who won a homeroom attendance prize during our remote/hybrid schooling. I should clarify to say they won when they were in 6th grade. They’re currently in 8th grade, but I finally got them made (they kept growing, so I needed to buy new shirts). They are both big fans of Godzilla, and when one of them won the prize, the other was so disappointed that I made one for him, too.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: Got Zilla? Kitchen Towel
Project Link: Same link as above: Got Zilla? T-shirts (and a bonus dish towel)
Brief Description: Since I had the Got Zilla? designed already, I decided to whip up a kitchen towel for a friend who is a big fan.

Project Photo(s): (see above photo-towel is on the left)

Prompt: February- Full
Project Name: Chopping List Apron
Project Link: Chopping List Apron
Brief Description: This bright yellow apron is a long overdue Christmas or Birthday gift for my sister. She used to work for a company that provided freshly sharpened knives to commercial kitchens and she would deliver the knives weekly, picking up the dull ones at the same time. So, it seemed appropriate! While she doesn’t work there anymore, she still likes to cook, and has a decent knife set at home!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: KMart Shirt for KMart
Project Link: KMart shirt for KMart
Brief Description: One of my coworkers has the last name of Martin and her first initial is K, so another coworker started calling her KMart. Turns out that it was her nickname in college, too. She recently started a new job (great for her, sad for us), so I made this for her as a good-bye gift.

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

@craftADDchick love Got Zilla :laughing:.

Prompt: Reduce Stress (January)
Project Name: ATC mailers
Project Link: ATC Mailers from Gift Card Holders
Brief Description: I started the preliminary steps for this project on NYE and only finished it today. They’re a little scruffy, but they’re done.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: February Big Time
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Crochet Mittens
Project Link:
Brief Description: I crocheted my first pair of mittens just in time for 5 more inches of snow
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January Travel/Get outside more
Project Link:
Brief Description: I also made a matching hat for outside play. it has a fluffy pom pom
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January Try a new hobby
Project Name: woven elbow mend
Project Link:
Brief Description: My hubs had a big hole in his elbow of his work sweatshirt. I got a speedweve and this is my first attempt at mending with it.
Project Photo(s):

before

after

7 Likes

Nice mending!

1 Like

@ezrib I really like that hat! Weirdly, I think I have one a lot like it in Animal Crossing :laughing:.

Prompt: Research Project 1
Project Name: Junk Journal January
Project Link: Junk Journal January 2023 (pic heavy)
Brief Description: I finally got a research project! I ended up doing more of Junk Journal January than I’d anticipated – 26/31 prompts over the course of the month.
Project Photo(s):
Here’s a sampling of the pages; more photos at the project link.

6 Likes

Prompt: February Battle Sun
Project Name: Hibiscus Lemon Bars
Project Link:
Brief Description: These bars taste like sunshine! And the pretty pink color is so fun. I couldn’t find my 9x9 pan, so i used a pie pan. I used a little less sugar than asked for. Recipe
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Hibiscus lemon? Yummmmm!

1 Like

Prompt: Try a new Hobby (January)
Project Name: Mistakes art journal page
Brief Description: Made using prompts from the February prompts list in the Paper, Mixed Media, Art Journaling Craftalong 2023. I used pieces of the fibery protective sheet that came with my new computer – a new material for me.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: January Be Happier
Project Name: Yellow yip yip
Project Link: crocheted yip yips
Brief Description: Love the sesame street aliens. This is yellow and brings a smile to my face

Prompt: January Reduce Stress
Project Name: Red yip yip
Project Link:crocheted yip yips
Brief Description:
Project Photo(s): This sesame street style alien is red

Prompt: January Save Money
Project Name: Green yip yip
Brief Description: this alien is made from stash and green
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Orange yip yip
Brief Description: my orange alien
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Yiiiiiip yip yip yip yip. Uh huh. Uh huh. These are a lot of fun! I also love the aliens.

3 Likes

I LOOOOOVED the yip yips as a kid! The telephone sketch was probably my favorite.

3 Likes

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Sausage Gravy and Tots
Brief Description: I whipped this up for dinner tonight, substituting yogurt for some of the milk in the gravy because I was low. Also, PSA, air frying tater tots has changed my life :laughing:.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

To clarify, low on milk, not emotionally.

5 Likes

Prompt: February battle - Sun
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: Iridescent embellishments
Project Link:
Brief Description: Like the sun, many of these are Star shaped and some are round, the way the sun appears to us. Plus, the light from the sun enhances the iridescence.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: January - try a new hobby
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: To Be Read jar
Project Link: To Be Read jar
Brief Description: This jar is shiny and iridescent
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Ooh! Shiny things! What are you going to use them for. The idea of the jar is great! I have a few hundred books to choose from on Goodreads, but I often have a hard time picking which one is next. This would solve that problem.