CLOSED - Nerd Games - Winter 2023

Oh my, that looks sooooo good!

1 Like

Prompt: Big Time #1
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: Baby Quilt
Project Link: Quilt for my almost-here grandson!
Brief Description: It took me forever to finish this! And it was my first time using mitred corners.
Project Photo(s):

It looks crooked because I photographed it on an angle.

6 Likes

Prompt: Free Range 1
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Pasta with meat sauce
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I made pasta and a little homemade sauce for dinner tonight.
Project Photo(s): This isn’t quite all of it, just the first helping :yum:.

4 Likes

Prompt: January- Be Happier
Project Name: Freakin’ Out
Project Link: Freakin’ Out - a family ATC
Brief Description: This is an ATC for my son. Follow the link to read the story behind it. :blush:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Complementary (March Battle)
Project Name: Reverse process art journal page
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: At one point, I added blue paint to this because it would be complementary to the orange I’d already used.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: February- Blue
Project Name: Charger of Many Colors
Project Link: Charger of many colors
Brief Description: This is mostly blue, and the other colors involved make it look striped. Sort of.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March- If Pets Had Thumbs
Project Name: Derp ATC
Project Link: Derp- a family ATC
Brief Description: This card is definitely inspired by a pet. Follow the link for the story- but a special warning to @storerboughtcreation it may make you shed a tear or two. I know I did.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Lila!!! You did such an amazing drawing. I imagine this is what she looked like when she was younger. Idk when she lost all of her teeth, but I can’t imagine her without her tongue hanging out at any age. It was part of her personality. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

So true! And her little back-scratch dance. Funny little thing!

2 Likes

I love the pop of the green and orange here.

1 Like

Prompt: March Battle - Complimentary
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Letters
Project Link:
Brief Description: There’s an amazing program/charity called the Women’s Prison Book Project that I’ve done some things with before. They needed volunteers to write letters to prisoners for Valentine’s day. We got stacks of coloring pages and a mini script (with some flexibility) to write on the back. Prisons are very limiting. You have to write in blue or black ink only. You can’t add stickers or any other embellishments. So, I tried to jazz them up a bit with some doodles and such. (I’m taking Complimentary out of the context here :sweat_smile: .) If I had any Big Times left, this one would have definitely qualified!

By the way - the project has a specific need for soft-cover crochet and craft books if you have any you want to de-stash and are able to ship them!

Project Photo(s):

wpbp

Prompt: March - If Pets Had Thumbs Day
Project Name: Scones
Project Link:
Brief Description: Well, these raspberry scones weren’t necessarily supposed to be this brown, but it made them eligible for this prompt, so… :upside_down_face: :joy:

Project Photo(s):

scones 2

Prompt: March - Get Over it Day
Project Name: Spaghetti
Project Link:
Brief Description: This solved the problem of hunger for several people, lol! Sauce from scratch.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Plant a Flower Day
Project Name: Alfredo Pasta
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made some fresh broccoli Alfredo. The sauce was from scratch and pretty tasty. Broccoli is green, and I suppose it’s polka-dotted throughout the pasta!

Project Photo(s):

alfredo pasta - Copy

Prompt: March - International Waffle Day
Project Name: Breakfast with Hashbrowns
Project Link:
Brief Description: I also made some hashbrowns from scratch! I didn’t realize how easy it would be! Took a bit to grate a few potatoes (and I wish I had a larger gauge grate), but yum!

Project Photo(s):

hashbrowns - Copy

Prompt: March - Weed Appreciation Day
Project Name: Lard
Project Link:
Brief Description: I rendered my own lard! I am obsessed, though I know it’s not for everyone. I got pasture-raised leaf fat from my local, sustainable, organic CSA.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Dinner
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve been struggling for crafty-crafty time, but I have been cooking a lot, so bear with me! :smiley: Here’s roasted leeks, homemade mashed potatoes, and steak for dinner.

Project Photo(s):

dinner 5 - Copy - Copy

Project Name: Dinner 2
Project Link:
Brief Description: Sloppy Joes, also from scratch. Sorry the picture looks kinda weird - they were steaming hot!

Project Photo(s):

sloppy joes - Copy

Project Name: Dinner 3
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made some fancy grilled onion burgers.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Dinner 4
Project Link:
Brief Description: My partner got me the Bob’s Burgers cook book as a gift. I tried out one of the recipes that we had the ingredients for, and it was delicious! It was the “Bet it All on Black Garlic” burger with mozzarella and garlic Sriracha mayo.

Project Photo(s):

bobs burgers - Copy

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Craft Workshop Day
Project Link:
Brief Description: I had a request to put together a craft day to teach some peeps how to make candles and room spray. I, unfortunately, was so busy I did not get good photos! But I spent a couple of weeks organizing it, and the actual day was about seven hours. I had to calculate, choose, and order all the supplies, write up and create printed instruction sheets, prep all the containers, wicks, and wax (and walk every individual through everything on the day of so many times, lol). It was fun! It resulted in about ~60 finished candles (using 20 different scents) and 10 bottles of essential oil room spray. Teaching others the science of candle making was pretty cool!

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

The food all looks super yummy! And the womens prison cards- love that!

Yay for instructions for candles and spray!!

2 Likes

Prompt: Weed Appreciation Day (March)
Project Name: ATCoin monsters
Project Link: More ATCoin Monsters – Monster Jam 2023
Brief Description: Definitely only a mother could love some of these faces.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

These monster coins are hysterical!

2 Likes

Prompt: March battle- complimentary
Project Name: Boho earrings
Project Link: Boho Leaf earrings- Spring Is In the Air Challenge Entry
Brief Description: I think the blue and green complement each other quite nicely.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Your slacker of a tracker has finally caught up on tracking. I will wait to post a tracking update until the end of the month, but your checklists should be up to date :blush:

Prompt: Research Project
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Buffalo Plaid Mosaic Blanket
Project Link: Buffalo Plaid Mosaic Blanket
Brief Description: I spent the last several weeks designing this blanket and crocheting it. I released the pattern late last night on Ravelry. I love buffalo plaid, and this blanket was a lot of fun to work on. I want to make more in different colors!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I truly, truly love this blanket. I wish I had the skills to make one like it.

2 Likes

:seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face:

HEY EV-ERY-BODY! It’s time to vote in the Spring Is In The Air Challenge! Get on over there before the poll closes on March 27, 2023!

I made these for my dad. There’s a pattern if you follow the link. I took this by where we feed Frankenstein his cat food, and I am seeing that I really need to clean my door off. :crazy_face:

Prompt: January - Be Happier
Project Name: Yellow door stop
Project Link: Neon door stoppers
Brief Description: It’s bright yellow.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Full
Project Name: Pink door stop
Brief Description: It’s bright. All the better to not stub your toe on
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Get Over it Day
Project Name: Orange door stop
Brief Description: I helped my dad by making these door stops so three of the doors in his house would stop drifting shut
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: Zap 1
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Dollhouse chimney redo
Project Link:
Brief Description: I didn’t like the color of my IKEA dollhouse chimney, so I painted it pink

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Hingepin decor
Project Link:
Brief Description: I have been admiring some hingepins with decorative finals and wanted some, I couldn’t find any reasonably priced so I am making my own decorations to pop on the hingepins, these are simple ones so far to test the idea

Prompt: Zap 3
Project Name: Water Keifer
Project Link:
Brief Description: I have been experimenting with making water keifer

Prompt: March Weed appreciation
Project Name: PTerry
Project Link:
Brief Description: Not everyone loves that we are drawing faces on our bathroom wall & it is on a green wall, but I love it!
How do you know if there is a pterodactyl in the bathroom?
You don’t, there pee is silent

Prompt: March Battle- Complimentary
Project Name: Crocheted crossbody/fanny pack
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this crossbody purse that can be adjusted to a waist bag. it is lined with complimentary bobby pin fabric, with pockets and a key hanger

Prompt: February New Moon
Project Name: Chicken potholder
Project Link:
Brief Description: in my last house I had a bunch of my great grandma’s old potholders hanging on the wall. we lost them in a fire… fast forward & I really miss those potholders so I am starting a large project to make a bunch similar (& buy some vintage if I find some)

Prompt: Waxing Moon
Project Name: Egg Potholder
Project Link:
Brief Description: Continuing with my potholder project I made an egg one which os larger than a traditional egg

4 Likes