Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2022

Agreed!
I was hoping one of our awesome paper princesses would be in the Lettuce Craft Class line up. We already know it would be a sold out lesson!

1 Like

I agree and disagree. Some of the first-part-of-the-month lessons are easy and been there, done that. The second half of the month lessons are interesting, but as I said before, I donā€™t do all of the projects because I donā€™t need more knick knacks and stuff in my house.

I like the teachers for the most part and I think itā€™s their enthusiasm for making the papers and projects that is fun to watch. I think the classes are presented well and many of the artists were new to me.

And this month is all about giving away stuff so I can get behind that. I mostly like Wendy/Willa.wanders and I am waiting for her lesson in August.

I will do the Fodder Challenge (mainly watch and perhaps do if itā€™s new/interesting) and then decide about next year.

1 Like

I do love the instructors and how supportive they areā€¦but many of them have already posted some of these techniques on their own. I also donā€™t do all of the projects since I am like you, and donā€™t want yet another avenue to explore!

But, I think I have learned more from your posts and links as well as others here ahead of the curve. I donā€™t mean to disparage anybodyā€¦just with only so much time, I would rather do your prompts and our Zooms here!

1 Like

I love Fodder School. Iā€™ve learned a ton of new techniques (Iā€™ve only been doing mixed media for around 18 months) and I love the energy. I can see how it wouldnā€™t be as educational for those whoā€™ve been doing mixed media for a lot longer. I also really like that I can airplay the videos to my Roku and watch them on the tv which gets me away from the computer. Thereā€™s nothing special about the FS videos other than the fact they are videos vs reading forum posts (I also do the same with Watch.Learn.Play. and Wanderlust). So I use it partially as entertainment and partially as learning. Iā€™ll definitely be joining again next year.

LC is an amazing resource and I find a wonderful complement to the more organized courses. I love seeing everyoneā€™s work here and all of the conversation.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve really enjoyed seeing everything you guys are posting :heart: I have nearly stopped doing my index cards :expressionless: I have a background for my second one and I cut out a picture for itā€¦ but mostly my crafty mojo is lost :sweat: So Iā€™ll just continue to be a lurker for now :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

I can relate to this, mine seems to have completely exited the building except for weaving. I think weaving appeals to me because a lot of it is procedural/meditative vs the mental energy I find ā€œcreativityā€/ā€œartā€ requires from me.

My creating has always been cyclical - I get really into something and go all in for 3-9 months then pivot over to something else. Looks like Iā€™m currently in a weaving season but my art supplies will still be there when I get the mental energy to play with them. Until then, I am still enjoying watching art classes though.

5 Likes

I understandā€¦probably why I am crankyā€¦but, I am making master boards and appreciate that I can do several techniques and none of them are too tasking! I am even leaving the mess out overnightā€¦

4 Likes

I think itā€™s great to pivot - I often get stuck and keep banging my head against the wall hoping for change. I need to remember to read a book, take a walk, go to the movies - something else in a different direction.

I just need to keep reminding myself to do this when frustration hits!

4 Likes

I never posted the watercolor fodder I made from Fodder Class. I have been experimenting with various types of watercolor and find that I like my cheapo watercolors in a tin palette the best, followed by watercolor crayons.

These are quite addictiveā€¦I have already used a bunch to make cards. I want to save some for my Fodder book just to look at.

13 Likes

Theyā€™re beautiful!

1 Like

Those flowers! :star_struck:

1 Like

Thanksā€¦they are something I do when I am uninspiredā€¦once I start, it is like chipsā€¦I canā€™t stop! lol I love fussy cutting as I watch Netflixā€¦I also started copying what I make. Even though they donā€™t have the texture and depth of the originals, I can still cut them from paper and use them. Plus I keep a copy in a notebook as reference when I get stuck.

2 Likes

I used gelatoes to create the background. I cut the piece into a size to fit notecards and then tried a few different techniques on them based on this YT video.

My favorite is using a stencil and a baby wipe to rub off the color. The drawback to using gelato is that it remains liquid reactive. Using gel medium really doesnā€™t work well . I ordered some fixative like that which is used for charcoal. I think a light spraying might work to seal itā€¦I kept some scraps to try it first!

I didnā€™t want to attach words until I used the cardsā€¦maybe for happy mail or positive affirmation mail!

11 Likes

I love them!

Love your cards! And thank you for linking the video, I have gelatos but had no idea how to use them.

1 Like

You can seal water reactive media by spreading gel medium on your *clean gel plate. Then press your water reactive media piece on the gel plate and the gel medium will seal the stuff.

I know itā€™s easier to spray but for me, it is easier this way - no garage or backyard.

And a clean gel plate? Does that exist? The last time I tried to seal water color swatches like this, I ended up adding a blue tinge to all of them. Oh well.

2 Likes

Great tip! I tried her way with a credit card, but no matter what, I was digging into the color areaā€¦I actually do have a clean gel plateā€¦ :laughing: I found it in what I thought was an empty container hanging off my shelfā€¦maybe I will reserve it just for things like this!

@photojenn ā€“ I was seriously thinking of buying gouache but then realized that I had not even touched my watercolor crayons, gelatoes, and pencils. I prefer acrylics so I didnā€™t want to buy anything that I could substitute.

2 Likes

Gorgeous! Iā€™ve been curious about gelatos too, will watch that video.
Cool tip about the gel medium on a clean gelli plate! One side of mine hasnā€™t ever been used, hmmā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

@AIMR your watercolor fodder and cards are fantastic!

I probably wonā€™t sign up for any year long courses this year. I think I would prefer to revisit some lessons from the courses I already bought and maybe sign up for some shorter cheaper classes throughout the year.

3 Likes

Thanks! I went back to our 2021 and 2022 Art Journaling threads and found that I really like learning like thatā€¦it feels a bit overwhelming for me to have so many presented, especially when I get behind. I am not signing up for any new classes.