Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

No - I thought since it is a small project, it didn’t warrant its own post. And I wanted to get the craft-along going. Thanks for the kind words.

I got the stamp on Etsy for $5. or less. If you have the kid craft scissors that cut the “postage stamp” design, you don’t need the stamp. I know there’s a pair at school, I just can’t find it!

I decided to buy some nice paper I can print journal lines on for a journal I am going to hand-bind for one of my son’s 6th grade teachers. I came across Of The Earth on etsy’s seed paper. It is really cool! Read about how you can even plant it after using!

His teacher loves pink and black, so I will use that out of my cardstock stash too.

It looks cool with lines!

6 Likes

Super cool!

Wow, that is so great! I love those plantable cards, I had no idea there was printer paper too!

I am carving stamps tonight, it’s very messy and my excellent quality (aka expensive) ink is not printing a nice solid black, I’m so miffed about that.

@magpie I’m not sure if I remember seeing any of your stamp carvings…excited to see this! Sorry the ink isn’t printing well tonight.

Yeah, I didn’t realize when it said “seed paper” it really had seeds! Yes, it rain through my printer for the most part pretty well, but was a bit finicky off and on.

I’m pretty happy with this journal so far. 4 signatures and covers. The black and pink frame will be front cover with a black M for her 1st name. Then each signature is black with the pink square. I’ll put some small art there-maybe a alcohol ink ditty.

I’ll probably bind it before deciding on the art.

1 Like

With the exception of tiny finishing touches, I have finished my journal.

4 Likes

These mini junk journals are inspired by Creative Jumpstart 2020. They are about passport-sized. I painted the canvas covers and added bright fabrics for inside covers.

Inside contains the typical stuff - maps, wall paper, card stock, magazine pages, etc.

And 4 more ready to fill

I’ve noticed that fabric covers are more forgiving in terms of stuffing/adding mixed media. In the first book, I limited myself to 12 pieces of paper but I think I can add more.

7 Likes

Oooh! I’m about to make some ATCs for a Library swap! Perfect!

1 Like

these look great

1 Like

Nice journals!

I finally got to craft tonight! It’s been waaay too long. I started these witches months ago. Will make a post about them once the glitter glues dry.

11 Likes

YES, MY FRIENDS, YASSSSSSSSS

@audity & @geekgirl

I started watching these videos and fell down a hole. So late. Then up so early. My head was whirling. My eyes are burning. I am so ready to go try to make The Things!

I’m not saying I did go outside to rifle through the recycle bin at work for magazines. But my cowled shawl definitely took a beating when I leaned against the front to get way down in there.I MEAN, MIGHT HAVE TAKEN A BEATING.

So excited, Makers!

:eyeglasses:

1 Like

I’m not crazy about her video quality (but I dislike watching most tutorial videos in general) but I watched these and like her process.

I’ve seen lots of “stamp” embellishments around lately. I have the craft scissors that can cut a postage design. I’ve made a few but doesn’t look like I took pics of any.

Seed paper sounds really cool.

your witch ATCs are great. the backgrounds are so vibrant. Are all your faces from magazines or do you buy any collage sheets?

:rofl:

I use vintage yearbooks

1 Like

Her process makes it look sooo easy, i had always been intimidated by the zetti style, could never get it ‘right’ until i watched those videos. like duh! i make things too complicated sometimes.

ok i’ll figure out what to do for the challenge, maybe start it up sometime early february.

1 Like

Right!! I thought I could breakdown the process, but always felt like I was missing things. The videos filled in all the corners, and now I feel ready to try my hand at it!

I’m working in painting pages tonight so I can cut and glue tomorrow!

1 Like

I have a bunch of Teesha Moore zetti-style rubber stamps. So I use those when I want a bit of zetti. I am intimidated by the collage - I don’t have that many magazines so I don’t know where else to get faces and arms and legs. I suppose I could draw the components…I will go watch the videos. I haven’t watched them in years so maybe it will be less scary now that I know more about mixed media.

@audity - love the witches. Need to find an old yearbook now!

I discovered recently that half priced books sell pre-owned magazines for like 2, and when they go on clearance they are .50 At least at my store anyway.

I think i will host challenges every other month. If anyone has ideas for April’s challenge let me know.

February 2020 Challenge

Craft in a Zetti/TM Style

• craft one item inspired by zetti style.
  • doesn’t have to be 100% zetti, but try to use something zetti in your craft. Can be all paper or mixed media.
  • Share it here on the paper crafting board before march 1, 2020 to enter.
  • one winner will receive a mixed ephemera/paper crafting pack from my collection. Open to international crafters too.

**how should we award the winner? Random #, voting, draw it from a hat??

1 Like

Working on valentines for davey’s playgroup

I am excited for this!

Voting would be a way to push ourselves. To really try hard, and not be complacent. One of the Disc groups I’m on votes, and generally, I have agreed with the winners. But there are some clear talents who repeatedly win. So it can be disheartening to others who are genuinely trying.

I also think people would not want to vote, as it would hurt feelings. And it always seems to turn into a popularity contest. So maybe random is best? (But maybe include a caveate someone can’t win twice in a row?)

Just painted some blank pages. I’m hoping they will flatten after drying.