Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

I miss our Nigerian goat. His name was Gozer the Goatzarian. (With a loving nod to my bestie @gozer.) We has to rehome him before he killed our dog. They did NOT get along. :cry:

He wore a collar and was delighted to go on walks through the neighborhood. Your paper cutouts reminded me of him.

7 Likes

These are freaking hilarious and awesome!

1 Like

Aww, I didn’t know you had a goat! It’s rather serendipitous that I find this out before completing your swap package! :sunglasses: (plotting something goaty)

3 Likes

Lol!!!

I thought this was an interesting knowledge video on water, chemical compositions, gesso, and watercolor paper vs prepped canvas

(Kinda slow delivery, but good info)

5 Likes

I posted this on the Paper board - some little fripperies I’ve been working on.

I swear I am working on my swaps too!

2 Likes

I really liked this…I have also found that better quality paints seem to also hold pigment together better…and you can use many other things besides water…a lot of the things I do are not really meant to be preserved for eternity…they are meant for me…so I am not that concerned

1 Like

Yes, I thought the best part was her talking about the bonding properties.

1 Like

I geeked out on the molecular structure of paint and polymers…lol…

2 Likes

Has anyone else seen Anne with an E?

The opening title sequence is stunning. I had to pause it to read, and see all the pieces:

And buzzfeed broke it down:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/keelyflaherty/anne-with-an-e-opening

I would love to do an art journal page inspired by these, for sure.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen the show (or even read the book …), but those paintings are glorious! I’d join in if we want to do a craftalong/Zoom session :smiley:

1 Like

Let me give it some thought as to how it might work. I might be able to find a similar look in an actual tutorial. Maybe its because I love Toni Burt, and it’s a similar style.

1 Like

I had just been thinking about the beauty in the natural world of autumn and winter (though I’m madly in love with the lush greenery that goes away), and how my home and wardrobe seem to match the aesthetics of that time of year. And this intro seems to go right along with the thoughts I’d been forming. The gold/white/silver with earth tones and natural textures definitely call me!

1 Like

I also have been dreaming of cooler temps, and wandering outside endlessly. Fall colors are almost here!

I was thinking working on a kraft paper base? Maybe with a metallic of some kind?

1 Like

A thin wash of a metallic paint really rubbed in to the kraft paper, to start, would be nice… If you use an actual paper grocery bag (the rougher, heavier kind, not the dinky glossy ones), there is a nice texture that still comes through. Because it absorbs so much you may do several washes to get it how you want it, or maybe you’d want it subtle to start. Then maybe, as one element, embroider a leaf into the paper, or affix a found feather or dried plant on the page with some stitches.

1 Like

I like this idea! I would probably do that on top, though. I immediatelu started turning it mixed media, so I have to dial myself back so I can stick with paper materials.

What? Never!! More! :sweat_smile: (haha, no, I know what you mean)

What is coming to mind is “mica flakes sprinkled onto wet gesso” - but honestly I’m not even sure what that means, it’s coming from way back in the memory bank. And it’s early in the morning.

2 Likes

@thanate posted about jetpen.com’s white ink pen sampler and when I checked back in may they were out of stock and I just got a notice they are in stock! so I just ordered
its $24 for 9 different pens
JetPens White Ink Pen Sampler

3 Likes

Hey @jemimah! I am looking at Sat, the 12th to try my hand at a version of this. I am thinking early morning EST is late your time. Maybe 9 or 10 here?

I am going to use one of Toni Burt’s videos for general techniques and to loosely follow. But will use kraft paper as a base, and either punches for repetitive layers (butterfly, etc) or find an animal or 2 from a magazine. And maybe some gold leaf?

I will post more details, but is anyone interested in another Paper Zoom? We’ve done enough, I figure we know its okay to not have exact materials, and to just make!

2 Likes

Not sure if I’ll need to be someplace that day, but I’m interested!

2 Likes